SC - Paul Murdaugh,22 & Mom Margaret,52, 7 June 2021 *Media, Maps, Timeline-NO DISCUSSION*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

2/8/22 --LIVE TRIAL BLOG

COLLETON COUNTY, S.C. (WCIV) — NOTE @ 12:25 p.m. - The Murdaugh murder trial proceedings were paused as the Colleton County courthouse was evacuated midday Wednesday. They resumed just after 2:30 p.m.

First witness: Megan Fletcher returns to the stand​

The defense will begin with cross-examination of witness Megan Fletcher, who began her testimony Tuesday with questions from the State. She's a South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) agent in the forensics division and has training in gunshot residue.

On Tuesday she told the jury about the gunshot residue participles she collected from the blue raincoat Alex was seen bringing rolled up to his mother's house in the week after the murders of his wife and son, Maggie and Paul.

Attorney Jim Griffin is doing the cross-examination.

He firsts confirms that gunshot residue is not biodegradable. Fletcher says that's correct, there's metal and other components that make it last. She says conceivably it will last for hundreds of years.

Gunshot residue is formed through a gunshot and will come out of the gun through any opening (such as the barrel), she says.

Studies have shown the residue can travel at least 60-ft from the gun, Fletcher says, noting that studies have not been done on farther distances.

Fletcher says gunshot residue (GSR) will stay on the firearm until cleaned.

She says if you touch the gun at any point, there's the possibility of GSR transferring to your hands.

Griffin asks, is it possible there's GSR where she's sitting right now on the witness stand. She says yes.

She confirms she received shirts, shorts and shoes from Alex Murdaugh. Someone else lifted the particles off those items, she didn't do it personally. the collection was done on June 8.

Griffin asks if she knew the clothes were wet. She says when she opened the bag, the shoes and shirt were indeed a little damp. She recalls smelling laundry detergent. Says she did not know it was raining the night before at Moselle.

Three particles were lifted from his white shirt, three particles from the shorts, no particles from the shoes. One particle on Alex's right hand, Fletcher says of their collection.

When she analyzed the evidence, she did not know if Alex was holding a gun. Says the collection was consistent was similar to someone who had a gun in their hand before the collection.

Fletcher confirms her testimony from yesterday.

In terms of the seatbelt collection:

• 1 particle found on the buckle
  • 0 on the latch plate
  • 0 on the whole belt
Fletcher says she can't say when the particle on the seatbelt was deposited there. Could have been there for a long time before, if the seatbelt was never cleaned. The particle stays there forever unless it's moved, Fletchers confirms. (This is the seatbelt taken from Alex Murdaugh's vehicle)

Moving on to the blue raincoat, Fletcher confirms GSR could stay on the garment for up to 4 years if not cleaned.

She can't say when or how the particles on the coat got there.

Fletcher confirms the 38 GSR particles found on the raincoat is a "significant" amount.

She can't say the 1 particle on Alex's hand is "insignificant." Griffin tries to get her to explain why. She says she can't say whether the evidence itself is significant, just if the number of particles is compared to the average particle lifts she does.

Griffin asks her about a blue tarp she also received. She confirms the tarp was not tested after consideration with supervisors.

Part of the reason for this was the coat was balled up in a closet and the tarp was found folded in a container.

Fletcher says she did nothing else with the tarp and doesn't know what happened to it.

She confirms her testimony from yesterday that it's a possibility the raincoat came in contact with a firearm based on her results.

Fletchers says she doesn't know and wouldn't have been told if the rain coat was tested for fingerprints.

She says her analysis took place before any other tests were done on the coat.

She says the raincoat was slated for further DNA analysis, which she only knows based on what was written on the outside of the box it was in.

Fletcher now explaining a few evidence pieces and how they were packaged.

She says the raincoat was size "large" and the brand was unfamiliar to her (and me, as Griffin tried to pronounce it).

Redirect from the State starting now.

She confirms, in total there were 52 particles of GSR taken from the raincoat. 14 on the outside, 38 on the interior.

For the interior of a garment, Fletcher says the amount lifted was unusual because typically people wear their clothing right side outside, meaning if they were nearby to a shooting, the particles would land on the outside of the garment.

The State asks, if you were carrying a recently-fired gun, could its GSR be transferred to something you're carrying it in?

She says yes, that's possible.

Again, she says the 38 particles were "unusual" in her expertise because it was a large amount and found on the inside of a garment.

Griffin back up. He says isn't it true there are a lot of possibilities here? yes.

He asks one last question about rim fire ammo and GSR before resting.

Next witness: Annette Griswold​

Griswold was one of two paralegals working for Alex Murdaugh at his former law firm, formerly known as PMPED.

Griswold said Alex was extremely intelligent in law. She admired and respected that greatly. He didn't keep normal times, might float in late morning or later.

He was always show up right before 5 pm. She would refer to him as a Tasmanian devil because when he came to the office, he was ready to go and all over the place. "It was kind of confusing."

After Griswold finds out a case is settled, she starts determining fees and drafts the sheet of deductions and what not. Alex makes any changes he needs to, signs off on it, and then it would go to the accounting department to cut the checks.

Griswold says Alex was rarely at the office after the 2019 boat crash that killed Mallory Beach; and when he was, the door was always closed and it was almost impossible to reach him.

"He was always dealing with something that was bigger than what we were," she said.

He was just not what his normal self used to be. It was just very tense. You could tell the oat crash was weighing heavy on him and it was consuming his life. He was harder to reach. He would come in, yell their names and just didn't treat them the same way he did prior to the boat accident.

She says he was very protective of who went in his office, which she described as cluttered.

Griswold recalls being confused when Alex asked her to change checks to "forge" instead of "forge consulting."

His explanation: Forge consulting is the large company and Forge is a smaller account under the umbrella.

She would even have to reach out to other offices to get them to rewrite checks to "forge"

Alex said he would always hand deliver the checks to Michael Gunn at Forge Consulting. She was worried the checks would get lost, so she started making notes to remember when he said he would take care of them.

Michael Gunn, as a reminder, was the law firm's main contact with the real "Forge Consulting."

Griswold described working from home after having surgery near Halloween of 2020. She got a phone call from a coworker that December saying a disbursement sheet she got made no sense. Griswold said she's protective of her files and was confused Alex has someone else was drafting a report on one of her cases, without her knowing. The coworker said the draft just wasn't making sense, specifically with the attorney fees identified for "Forge."

Griswold said she asked Alex about it and he said he would just finish the report himself.

Griswold said his explanation was the attorneys can structure the attorney fees that way. It's something they've always been able to do, but he's just starting to take advantage of it. Griswold said his explanation did make sense at face value, but it was always at the back of her mind because she knows there should normally be a paper trial.

This was all regarding the Hershberger case.

At the end of January, Griswold left work early one Friday to take her mom to a doctor's appointment. The same thing happened again, this time on the Tommy Moore case, she said. Nicole was tasked with completing the disbursement report, and called Griswold in confusion.

Both coworkers agreed they needed more information and asked Alex about it again. Again, he wrote it off and they finished the disbursements his way.

She reads off a paper on the Herschberger case. In the he UIM and liability portion of the case- the PMPed attorney fees were routed to "forge" in the amount of $83,383

All the funds- including attorney fees- were being transferred to "forge" on the Moore case.

It was another yellow flag that on multiple instances, Alex asked someone else draft a disbursement on her files. She recalls no reason for a rush in either situation. She believes in hindsight, Alex was doing this deliberately to push Griswold out of the process.

Griswald says it was explained to her that -- because the funds for the Moore case would be tied up in a Workers Comp lien dispute for a long time -- Murdaugh was sending all the proceeds to "Forge" so they could draw interest.

Griswald says she noted it was clearly Alex's handwriting in the signature line for Thomas Moore.

Now moving ahead to the Faris vs. Mack Trucks case aftermath in May 2021, and Griswald being alarmed by learning attorney fee disbursements had been paid in March. No records in her files and no records in accounts payable.

Griswald says she simply assumed Alex had gotten the checks hand delivered and had lost them.

Griswald says she tried to speak to Alex about the missing checks. He was insistent he hadn't received the money and Chris Wilson still had the money.

Griswald checked back with Chris Wilson's firm, and his paralegal explained she was positive because she noted how it was odd the checks had been made out to Alex Murdaugh personally, so she remembered it.

Griswald went back to Alex a few more times, and he remained insistent Wilson's paralegal was wrong, and was shooing Griswald out of his office as if he didn't have time to be bothered with this.

Griswald says it was a huge red flag, and she knew the attorney fees checks should've been made to the firm, not to Alex.

Griswald recalls bringing her concerns to Jeanne Seckinger and Seckinger sharing in her alarm. This was May 27, 2021. Jeanne and Annette formulate a plan to inquire about the payments and records in a way not to suggest Annette had raised red flags and not make it seem like they were suspicious.

"We wanted our suspicions to be wrong," Griswald says.

Griswald recalls being very concerned about the repercussions for raising concerns about the issue. Reached out to Wilson's paralegal Vicky Lyman to share concerns (Judge Newman wouldn't allow text messages in evidence). Griswald recalls daughter telling her to get her resume ready because she might get fired.

June 7, 2021. Jeanne Seckinger comes up to their office suite, gives her a glance, and goes in Alex's office. Seckinger didn't say anything after leaving Alex's office. She left work at 5:15 p.m. Alex Murdaugh was still at work. (Notes Alex tended to work nights and later schedules).

Early the morning of June 8, wakes up to mass number of missed calls and text messages, and voicemail from Randy Murdaugh. Describes emotional call with Randy who informed her "it's bad," Maggie and Paul had been murdered.

Griswald says the immediate reactions were fear and protectiveness. They were worried for Alex and Buster's safety and the whole Murdaugh family. Was a disgruntled client targeting them? Was anyone else at the firm in danger? Went in to extreme "Mama Bear" mode. Trying to shield Alex and the family from bombardment. "What Faris fees?" The missing money was the furthest thing from their mind. The firm basically shut down and rallied around Alex. The larger community and other lawyers did too.

Griswald is asked about the boat crash case and the death of Mallory Beach. Says the community was somewhat divided. Everybody knew someone involved. Mallory's father is her cousin. She was questioned for not quitting her job at Alex's firm over the boat crash in support of the Beach family. She had noted earlier how Alex significantly changed after the boat crash.

Griswald says the Faris fees didn't come back up for a long time. She was looking for a file one day in Alex's office on Sept. 2, 2021, and says a check fell out of a file and floated like a feather to the ground. It was the missing Faris fee check Alex told her didn't exist. Says she was enraged. Called Jeanne Seckinger and said "Guess what I found?" Jeanne said "Oh *advertiser censored*!" They met and shared what each other had found. Alex was fired the next day.

Griswald says all her suspicions were confirmed about the Forge issue.

Right now, Judge Newman has excused the jury for the State and Defense to argue over the admissibility into evidence of an email Alex sent to Griswald regarding his being in rehab, thus alluding to Murdaugh's drug use. Defense doesn't want any info about drug use mentioned or inferred.

Newman doesn't seem convinced that this will impugn or prejudice the jury re: Murdaugh's character. Waters for the state says it's a bridge they have to cross at some point anyway. No explicit mention of drugs in the letter. Waters thinks it's very probative.

Griffin wants Newman to again instruct the jury about not letting evidence assailing Murdaugh's character sway the jury beyond the scope of motive.

Griffin says he will consider the issue further during a recess.

Arguments continuing over testimony re: Murdaugh's drug use.

Griffin says we're venturing into territory too prejudicial by admitting anything about drug use and drug addiction because it is part of the whole story (res gestae) and even explains the financial crimes. It's hard for defense overcome the "piling on" of this. Griffin moves to bar testimony about drug use and to go so far as to strike everything heard so far on the financial crimes from the record.

Judge Newman says he will not approve that motion. Newman say he's amenable to redacting the info about Murdaugh being in rehab from the letter that's being introduced. Griffin says that's not necessary but asks for another limiting instruction. Griffin says he's not going to give the instruction every time for every witness. It's already been given twice and he will give it again at the end of trial.

The letter (a text message, actually) is admitted into evidence. Dated Sept. 26, 2021.

Waters shifts quickly to Murdaugh's cell phone use. Griswald says he had it with him all the time, was always on it, it would be unusual for Murdaugh not to have it on him.

State plays the kennel video for Griswald. She's 100% sure she hears Alex, Paul and Maggie's voice.

Waters shifts back now to the text message. He asks Griswald to read only one excerpt. "The worst part is knowing I did the most damage to those I love the most." Waters has nothing further for Griswald. Jim Griffin now doing cross-examination for the Defense.

Griffin is asking Griswald about Alex being her boss. Notes how Alex was very accommodating to Griswald with her family issues and time off. Family first for her and family first for himself. Griffin asks her if Alex was a good boss. "It was hit or miss. I cared about him, I respected him, I loved him. You can't be that close and work with somebody without developing feelings for them and their family members. But it was hard to work for him sometimes. He was a bit erratic. For all the respect and love I had for him, it was still very difficult to work for him." Griffin reiterates her testimony earlier about Murdaugh being like a Tasmanian devil.

Griswald says Alex "didn't know the word 'no,'" when it came to helping anybody who would come to him and ask.

Griffin continues asking about Alex's closeness to his family. Took them on trips with him, work or otherwise. Very close with Maggie's family. Always in contact. Never put off calls with his family. Always had time for them.

Griswald notes how the firm rallied around the Murdaugh family after the deaths of Maggie and Paul and Alex's father, Randolph.

Griswald says Alex was very different after the murders. Didn't yell at her or the other paralegal Christy like he used to, but was much kinder and gentler.

Griswald notes Murdaugh wasn't working much after the murders. Never stayed at Moselle again after that. Commuted from Summerville where he was staying with Maggie's parents, or the family's beach house, or Randy's house.

Griswald says she was deeply concerned about her livelihood after the fact of discovering the Faris check and turning him in. What if she was wrong? What if she turned him in for something and it wasn't stealing.

Griffin after objecting to any reference to Alex being in rehab or any insinuation of drug addiction, brings up himself the letter Alex sent to Griswald and his other secretary.

Murdaugh was in drug rehab for an apparent years-long prescription painkiller addiction at the time.

Sept. 26, 2021 letter from Alex to Griswald and his other paralegal:

Hey it's Alex. I'm finally feeling a little better each day. I'm over the worst but still feel like I have the flu. Real weak.
I have been worried about y'all, and I'm sorry I didn't get to tell y'all myself. I know both of you've been hurt badly by me.
I know it sounds hollow, but I am truly sorry. The better I get the more guilt I have. I have an awful lot to try to make right when I get out of here.
The worst part is knowing I did the most damage to those I love the most.
I'm not real sure how I let myself get where I did. I'm committed to getting better and hope to mend as many relationships as I can.
You both are special people and important to me. Please know how sorry I am to have made you part of my misdeeds.
I hope you're doing as well as possible. I love you very much.
Please tell Sheryl and Haley I'm sorry. All my love.
Griffin in redirect. After the murders, Murdaugh still had his job and his law license after the murders, correct? Yes. People came to him for their problems? Yes. He was a prominent lawyer? Yes. And all that came to an end when the stolen money was discovered, correct? Yes.

Next witness: Michael Gunn​

Gunn is the principal running the South Carolina office for Forge Consulting, a financial planning firm that handles annuities and structured settlements for people who've won settlements in court cases so they can save money. He testified last week without the jury present.

We heard a lot of testimony from Gunn during evidentiary hearings to determine if his testimony re: Alex Murdaugh would be admissible. He's again testifying to the fact he had a longtime friendly relationship with Murdaugh and had even at one time discussed structuring a settlement for one of Murdaugh's clients, but Murdaugh had not actually followed through.

Gunn was presented in Sept. 2021 with several names by Murdaugh's law partners asking if Forge Consulting had any accounts for them. He searched records. There were no names in their records except the one he'd created a file on the one time Murdaugh brought up the idea to him.

Gunn confirms Murdaugh was never taking checks to him for structured settlements. Murdaugh never structured his own fees through the legitimate Forge Consulting. Murdaugh didn't have authority to operate a bank account under the name Forge. And Forge didn't have any bank accounts with Bank of America to correspond with the accounts Alex opened.

In cross exam, Gunn notes for Jim Griffin Alex was a strong family man. Always brought his family with him to conventions and such, appeared to love his family very much.

Next witness: Brian Hudak​

Just after SLED forensic data analyst Brian Hudak took the stand, court was abruptly recessed for a bomb threat.

Roughly two and a half hours later, court resumed.

Hudak is the one who removed the data from the infotainment system module and OnStar module from Alex's Chevy Suburban after the murders. He notes he had to uninstall the entire system and send it off for analysis because SLED did not and does not have the software necessary to extract that data.

The modules were sent to the FBI and returned to SLED after analysis.

Hudak has been released from the witness stands after the state introduces the infotainment and OnStar modules have been entered into evidence.

Next testimony: Dwight Falkofske​

Next on the witness stand, Dwight Falkofske, an electronics engineer and automotive forensic specialist in the FBI's electronic device analysis unit. That unit specializes in collecting data off devices that can't be accessed via commercial tools available to the general public.

In other words, he extracts binary code data from computer systems, and he converts it into info humans can read and understand.

Falkofske has been qualified as an expert witness in automotive forensics.

Location data and connected device history (Bluetooth, USB, etc) is contained on the infotainment and telematics modules. Falkofske notes how software isn't available to extract data from the 2021 Suburban. So he removed the computer chip and placed it in a specialized reader.

Read More: Automotive forensic expert says location data on Murdaugh's car surprisingly encrypted

Falkofske says he ran into something with Murdaugh's SUV he'd never seen before: The data was encrypted.

The FBI basically had to write a program from scratch to attach to another Chevy Suburban to find the encryption key that allowed the FBI to decrypt the location and device history data for extraction.

Falkofske says the extraction took a year to complete. When it was complete, there was no location data. The Bluetooth connection showed connections but without timestamps. There were calls in the call log. On a more granular level, they found a "voluminous" amount of data related to the individual movements of the vehicle (gear shift changes, windows up and down, moving or not moving, etc)

The FBI used an identical 2021 Chevy Suburban to create a test key of what these actions looked like in data form. Meaning, they kept a record of actions happening in the car at certain times, and then cross referenced those actions with data collected by the car, and then used the info to basically pair the data info with the corresponding actions they'd performed.

Based on that, the FBI interpreted the data. Falkofske says it was a "challenging" process. Certain actions were more clearly discernible than others. The best indicator they found of the vehicle moving was the gear shift data showing "In Park" or not -- they couldn't tell if it was in reverse or drive, or if the vehicle was physically moving, just that it either was "In Park" or not.

Switching back to vehicle call logs from connected phones. Call made to 911 at 10:06 p.m. on June 7, 2021.

Falkofske now reviewing file of condensed data logs. Narrowed it down to a single page spreadsheet, looking at key indicators of vehicle movement.

Two lines of spreadsheet data color coded in red. They found the data corresponded to the infotainment center starting up. It happened in a variety of instances, could be as simple as someone just opening the door and the screen lighting up on the console screen. There are unexplained times the system seems to initiate a boot for no apparent reason.

1675905316471.png

Now onto two blue lines on the spreadsheet. Falkofske says they indicate:

• 12:21 p.m. on June 7, someone shifted the vehicle into park.
  • 12:23 p.m. - Spreadsheet logs shows multiple things happening all at once. Falkofske says those instances must be analyzed in the aggregate, or taken all together to determine what's happening. The best conclusion was that the vehicle was powering down at that point.
  • 6:23:57 p.m. - vehicle shifted out of park. "Vehicle park: False."
  • 6:53, 7:11 p.m. - Examples given of infotainment system boot up.
  • 9:03-9:06 p.m. - Infotainment system boots up, engine running, vehicle taken out of park.
  • 9:22 p.m. - Vehicle put back into park. Approx. 16 minutes elapsed. It could've been moving between those two times, but Falkofske can't say for certain.
  • 9:43:05 p.m. - Vehicle out of park
  • 9:43:59 p.m. - Vehicle in park.
  • About 21 minutes passed between the parking event at 9:22 and 9:43. Less than one minute passed between the vehicle going out of park at 9:43:05 and then back in park at 9:43:59.
  • Vehicle goes out of park 9:44:54.
  • Back into park at 10:00:36.
  • 16 minutes passed.
  • 10:01:17 p.m. - Out of park
  • 10:01:29 p.m. - In park
  • 12 seconds elapsed.
  • 10:01:30 - out of park
  • 10:01:43 - in park
  • 13 seconds elapsed
  • 10:04;44-10:04;47 - system powering down.
  • 10:04;49 - out of park
  • 10:05;55 - in park
  • 10:11;45 - out of park
  • 10:12;38 - in park
  • 10:13;39 - out of park (no matching pair to show it going back in park, Falkofske notes the system sometimes doesn't record data for some unexplained reason, based on what they observed with the test vehicle.)
Falkofske concedes to prosecution he has no reliable way of telling whether or not a vehicle is moving or who is operating it when it's out of park vs. in park. Could be "out of park" but not moving, someone just sitting still with foot on the brake.

Nothing further from the state for no. Phillip Barber cross examining Falkofske

Falkofske agrees with Barber the FBI basically had to reverse engineer the infotainment system to get the data and overcome the encryption.

Barber asks why didn't they just send the infotainment module to General Motors and ask them to help decrypt so they could get the most accurate data? Barber says they like to extract data themselves for one, and two, companies like GM (in their experience) don't like to help the FBI on this kinds of stuff.

There's some issue over a report the defense wants to have Barber review. They're looking for a different copy, and the state will require a minute to inspect it. Jury sent to jury room, court in short recess.

Backing up a minute, Falkofske noted the vehicle's data encryption was part of the GM factory design. It wasn't something done by Murdaugh, or anyone else. The SUV came that way.

2/8/23

WALTERBORO, SC (WSPA) – Alex Murdaugh’s former paralegal said she was enraged after finding out her boss was taking money from clients and his law firm.

Annette Griswold testified in Murdaugh’s double murder trial Wednesday.

She detailed how she helped uncover Murdaugh’s alleged wrongdoings. She said she had asked Murdaugh about some fees the law firm never received following a settlement in a case Murdaugh was working on.

Griswold said she spoke with Murdaugh about the missing money, “In the back of mind there’s a huge red flag telling me this is not right.”

She testified she originally thought Murdaugh had lost or misplaced the check. She passed along all the information she had to the law firm’s CFO and office manager, Jeanne Seckinger.

[..]

In September, Griswold said she was looking for a file on Murdaugh’s desk. She said a check for the missing money ‘floated like a feather to the ground’.

“I was hurt. I was angry. I was beside myself and I was a bit enraged too,” she said.

According to Griswold, she gave Seckinger the check, who was looking into Murdaugh’s funneling of fees and client money into a fake account. A few days later, Murdaugh was forced to resign from his law firm.

But Annette Griswold also told jurors Murdaugh was a dedicated family man so distraught after his wife and son were killed he could no longer stay at the home where the killings took place and texted a lengthy apology for his misdeeds to his paralegals while in rehab.

Last edited:

2/9/2023

LIVE RECAP: Murdaugh murder trial - Feb. 9

First witness: Dwight Falkofske returns to the stand​

The morning began with defense cross examination of FBI agent Falkofske.

He confirmed Alex Murdaugh's SUV infotainment system data showed no other phones except Alex's connecting via Bluetooth on June 7, 2021. He also testified no location data from June 7 was recovered from the SUV.

Second witness: Chris Wilson​

Wilson is also an attorney and Alex Murdaugh's longtime close friend. They met in childhood and played sports together. They reconnected in law school. They were roommates. Wilson says he considered Alex one of his best friends.

He was very close to Alex's family, too. Knew them and loved them.

Wilson gives background working alongside Alex and Murdaugh's former law firm (PMPED) in Hampton County. Wilson said being a smaller law practice (it's usually just been him and a few associates over the years) it's common to bring in lawyers from larger firms like PMPED to help on cases so the larger firms can help front some of the costs associated with trying the case.

Wilson says his office would usually handle disbursements of fees and expense payments on cases with Murdaugh or any outside firm.

Work performed fee checks and cost / expense reimbursement checks are disbursed separately, according to Wilson. Fees are what the law firm and lawyers get paid out of. Expense reimbursements go to the law firm.

However, we previously learned PMPED policy was for attorney fee checks to come to the firm first to be distributed later, not for attorneys to collect their fees directly.

Wilson is discussing the Faris vs. Mack Trucks case involving a husband who was injured after a drive shaft fell out of a semi.

Wilson says he and Alex working together secured a $5.5 million settlement for the husband and his wife in the Faris case. Alex gave the closing arguments in the case. Wilson says it was a very emotional case and Alex became very emotional in that address to the judge. Alex had spent a lot of time with the wife leading up to the conclusion of trial.

Wilson recalls money from the Faris v. Mack case coming in initially in late February 2021. For jury now, prosecutor Creighton Waters has Wilson reading a text message from Alex on March 10, 2021 saying he needs to get his money. Wilson says Supreme Court requires checks over a certain amount are required to be held for 10 days before funds can be disbursed. Wilson recalls holding the money an extra few days in the Faris case just to be safe because of the large settlement.

Wilson says when it came time to send Alex and his firm their share of the money, Alex told Wilson to send HIM the fee check directly to Alex and in his name, not the firm's name. Alex explained it was already cleared with his firm's other partners and they were aware, and would be accounted for on the books of the firm as being credited as paid to Alex.

Alex told Wilson he was doing it this way because he was going to be placing the money into an annuity. Wilson says this didn't raise any red flags because Alex was a partner in his firm and he thought would have authority to make these calls to circumvent normal practices. Also Wilson says Murdaugh was his best friends. He had no reason not to trust him.

Murdaugh on March 10, 2021 received a check from Wilson for the husband's share of the fees of $600,000, and $192,000 for the wife. Wilson says he later voided the $600,000 check at Alex's request because Alex told him he wanted to split the money into three separate annuities, so he need the $600,000 portion recut into two checks. Wilson obliged.

Murdaugh ended up with three checks: $192,000, $375,000, and $225,000.

Wilson says he cut the attorney fee checks directly to Alex, but he cut the expense checks for Murdaugh's law firm like he normally would and sent the law firm those checks.

Wilson notes how he and Murdaugh were very close. Talked all the time, multiple times per day. Very close with Maggie and kids too. Hopes to have close relationship with Alex again one day.

Wilson notes how Murdaugh initially told him he wanted to structure his attorney fees from the Faris case because of his exposure in the lawsuit stemming from the boat crash his son Paul was involved in.

Wilson's perception of Alex at that time was he was a "big dog" in his firm, making a lot of money for the firm and for himself. He'd been involved with some very lucrative cases with Murdaugh. He knew Murdaugh spent a lot of money and had a lot of things, figured he also made a lot of money. Wilson had no reason to believe Murdaugh had financial problems.

Backing up, Wilson notes how the law firm expense checks for the Faris vs. Mack case took a little longer to finalize and weren't mailed to Alex's law firm until May 2021, two months after the attorney fee checks were sent to Alex. Alex's paralegal Annette Griswold sent an email asking where the attorney fees were. Wilson's paralegal Vicky Lyman explained Alex had already gotten those fees back in March.

After some back and forth about the whereabouts of the attorney fees, Wilson says on June 2, 2021 his firm received an email from PMPED asking for documents related to Faris case. Wilson says he'd take care of it. Around same time, while working on a trial in Hampton, Alex's partner Lee Cope approached him asking if all the money had been disbursed. Wilson said it hadn't, some was being held back due to liens.

Wilson says he called Alex after the email from the firm and Lee Cope's questions, and asked Alex if everything was OK? Wilson says he reminded Alex this was the case in which Murdaugh had him write fee checks directly to him. Alex assured him everything was fine.

Weekend before the murders, Wilson and his wife had spent time with Alex and Maggie and Buster, and watched South Carolina Gamecocks baseball. (Wilson is emotional on the stand now).

Then the night of June 7, he was sitting on the back porch watching TV with his wife. Heard something funny with his pool pump, was messing with that and Alex called at 9:11 p.m. "Hey bo!" He told Alex he'd call him right back. Two minute phone call. Finished messing with the pump, and called Alex back at 9:20 p.m. "Hey bo!" 3 minutes. Talked about cases they were working on for advice, asked about his mom and dad. Knew Alex's father was getting worse. Alex said I'm at my mom's I'll call you back.

Wilson says he got a text from Alex later in the evening at 9:52 p.m., saying: "Call me if you're up."

He called Alex, Alex didn't answer- which was normal. He called right back at 9:53, and got Alex. Talked about his mom. Said she was normal. Talked to him about a case he needed help on. Alex says he's about to get home, can they talk tomorrow?

Wilson gets emotional again talking about finding out about the murders. He was asleep. His wife came in hysterical and telling him he needed to wake up. She was on the phone with Randy Murdaugh or Randy's wife. Person in Hampton had texted him letting him know.

Wilson grabbed some clothes and went straight to Moselle. Called his daughter on the way. She was extremely close to Buster and Paul. Called a few other people. Arrived at Moselle at about 1 a.m. He saw activity at the kennels and was about to go down there, but John Marvin and Rand waived him up to the house.

When he got in the house, Wilson says "I hugged his neck and we cried" about seeing Alex.

There were a lot of Murdaugh's law firm partners and friends and family there. He was at Moselle almost all day the next two days.

Wilson says he never asked Alex about the murders and what he saw. Didn't want to make Alex relive it. Certainly didn't think to mention the fees. Didn't even know there truly was an issue with the fees at that point. Just wanted to be there as a friend for Alex.

Wilson said he called Alex much more frequently after the murders. Tried to stop by and see him anytime he was nearby. Wanted to check on him, get Alex out and doing stuff. He was worried (like a lot of people) that Alex was going to kill himself.

Time passed. The missing fees never come back up. Alex calls him in July 2021 saying he (Alex) had made a mistake on the Faris case fees, and he needed to send Wilson back the money he'd gotten in March so Wilson could recut the checks to the law firm directly (like he normally would've in the first place).

But a problem arises. Alex only sends back $600,000 (two wire transfers from Palmetto State Bank and Bank of America), not the full $792,000. Alex explains the remaining $192,000 was already in an annuity and inaccessible without being penalized.

Wilson says he followed Alex's instructions and sent Alex's firm an email saying he had all the money and was awaiting instructions on how to disburse it. He didn't hear anything more about the fees for a while.

Then in August at a convention, Wilson asks Alex about getting repaid. Alex assures him he was working on it and would try to get Wilson the money.

Then later on August 17, Wilson says he came to Alex's office in person and asked him to put in writing that Alex owed him the $192,000. Wilson says he was still worried Alex was going to kill himself. Wilson says he was also still trying to recover his money because $192,000 is a lot of money to him. Alex didn't hesitate.

There were a lot of Murdaugh's law firm partners and friends and family there. He was at Moselle almost all day the next two days.

Wilson says he never asked Alex about the murders and what he saw. Didn't want to make Alex relive it. Certainly didn't think to mention the fees. Didn't even know there truly was an issue with the fees at that point. Just wanted to be there as a friend for Alex.

Wilson said he called Alex much more frequently after the murders. Tried to stop by and see him anytime he was nearby. Wanted to check on him, get Alex out and doing stuff. He was worried (like a lot of people) that Alex was going to kill himself.

Time passed. The missing fees never come back up. Alex calls him in July 2021 saying he (Alex) had made a mistake on the Faris case fees, and he needed to send Wilson back the money he'd gotten in March so Wilson could recut the checks to the law firm directly (like he normally would've in the first place).

But a problem arises. Alex only sends back $600,000 (two wire transfers from Palmetto State Bank and Bank of America), not the full $792,000. Alex explains the remaining $192,000 was already in an annuity and inaccessible without being penalized.

Wilson says he followed Alex's instructions and sent Alex's firm an email saying he had all the money and was awaiting instructions on how to disburse it. He didn't hear anything more about the fees for a while.

Then in August at a convention, Wilson asks Alex about getting repaid. Alex assures him he was working on it and would try to get Wilson the money.

Then later on August 17, Wilson says he came to Alex's office in person and asked him to put in writing that Alex owed him the $192,000. Wilson says he was still worried Alex was going to kill himself. Wilson says he was also still trying to recover his money because $192,000 is a lot of money to him. Alex didn't hesitate.

1675987885776.png

Wilson says Alex gave him a handwritten, three-sentence note acknowledging the debt and Alex's promise to repay it. That note is entered into evidence.

Court taking a recess. Jury was excused so State and Defense could confer with Judge Newman about the extent to which Chris Wilson will be able to testify about the Sept. 2021 roadside shooting involving Alex.

Chris Wilson now talking about finding out from Alex's law partner Lee Cope on Friday, Sept. 3, 2021 that Alex had been stealing money from the clients and the firm. Brought up finding the check from Wilson's firm to Alex in Alex's office. Cope told him they're still getting to the bottom of it. Wilson says he was with a crowd and had to pretend everything was OK. He was shocked. Tried to call and text Alex but Murdaugh said he couldn't talk right then.

Wilson finally heard back from Alex late that night of Sept. 3. Demanded an in person meeting. Alex was non-committal. Wilson got up the next morning and started driving toward the Okatie area of Beaufort County where Alex was staying with his brother John Marvin. Wilson says he called and called and called Alex, no response. He was on Interstate 95 and finally heard back from Alex, and Alex told him to meet at his parents' house in Hampton County.

They met around 11 in the morning. Wilson says he demanded to know from Alex what was going on with the stolen money and if he (Wilson) was impacted? Wilson says Alex broke down in tears and admitted he'd had a prescription opioid painkiller addiction for 20 years and had been stealing money from his clients and his law firm and Wilson.

Wilson says Alex said "I you up. I *advertiser censored* a lot of people up." Alex said he's been very good about covering it all up. Wilson says it got very heated at times. Didn't come to blows. Wilson says he left and hasn't spoken to Alex in person since that day on the porch at Alex's mother's house.

Waters introduces into evidence a text message Alex sent him on Sept. 16, 2021. Says it came from a phone number that wasn't Alex's normal number.

Waters takes a brief aside to ask if Wilson ever got his $192,000 back. Wilson says no.

Waters transitions now back to June 7 and rehashes briefly the communications between Wilson and Murdaugh on that night. Waters has no more questions right now. Jim Griffin doing cross examination for the Defense now.

Griffin quickly focuses on Wilson saying he wasn't aware of any fee issues in the Mack Trucks case when Murdaugh's law firm reached out to him in early June for more documentation on the fees and expenses.

Wilson reiterates how Alex had assured him everything was fine with the money on the case.

Griffin asks about the fear Alex might kill himself. Wilson says Alex wasn't eating, sleeping. Seeming like he "wasn't there." Talked to Murdaugh's brothers and partners several times over the summer. Wilson says it wasn't just him who was afraid Alex might hurt himself. Alex was distraught. Wilson reached out to him and Buster as much as he could and was very worried about him.

Griffin moves on to the repayment promise from Alex about the $192,000 he owed Wilson. Alex explained he was hoping to get money from his father's estate, Maggie's estate and from selling some property. Griffin's point is Alex had money coming, just not right away.

Griffin asking Alex about the alleged drug addiction to opioids. Wilson says he knew Alex since 1985. Focusing just on the last five to 10 years before the murders, Wilson says he never saw any indication Alex was a drug addict. They traveled a lot together. Never saw pills or pill bottles. Alex's behavior hadn't changed. Wasn't erratic.

Griffin asks if Wilson knows anything about people building up tolerances to opioids. Wilson says he doesn't know enough to testify about that.

Griffin goes back to college days. Did he know Alex played football for the University of South Carolina and had a knee injury? Wilson was aware of that, yes.

Griffin continues to paint portrait of how long Alex and Chris knew each other and how close they were over the years, from college on up through marriage and kids and careers. Vacationed together, worked together. Spent summers together at Edisto Beach.

Wilson says he wouldn't have shared clients with Alex over the years if he hadn't trusted him. Furthermore, to Griffin's point, clients were always very satisfied. Wilson agrees.

Wilson says Alex always had trouble focusing as long as he knew him, but when you could get him to focus, he could always get the work done.

Wilson says Alex would always take phone calls from Maggie, Paul and Buster any and every time they called.

Wilson says Alex was always on the phone in general, but yes, he was constantly on the phone with Maggie and Paul and Buster. Alex seemed to prefer family trips with Maggie and the boys, not "guys trips" or anything of that nature. The kids and Maggie would sometimes travel with Alex to conventions. Murdaugh family went to UofSC football games. Big family tailgate. Always attended Gamecocks basketball and baseball games. Weekend before the murders, went to the USC baseball team game.

Griffin: "Would you appear that Alex's No. 1 priority was his family?
Wilson: "Yessir, it appeared that way to me.
Griffin: "When I say family, I mean Maggie and Paul and Buster.
Wilson: "The whole family.
Wilson discussing Alex's relationship with Maggie's family. Wilson had become friends with Maggie's parents through the Murdaughs. Alex seemed to have a good relationship Maggie's Mom and Dad.

Wilson says Alex and Maggie were always very welcoming to his children and all of Paul and Buster's friends.

Griffin asking about Alex's birthday down at Edisto Beach over Memorial Day weekend, 2021, two weekends before the murders. Typical family gathering. Happy. No strife apparent with Maggie and Alex. Paul and Buster there. Nothing out of the ordinary. (Defense plays video of "Happy birthday" to Alex, but audio won't play.)

Wilson noting for Griffin in the phone calls the night of June 7 how Murdaugh wasn't acting out of the ordinary at all. Didn't strike him as odd for Alex to be going over to his Mom's later that night. Figured he was just going over to his Mom's house after work, because Alex tended to work later hours than most people. Start later in the day, end later in the evening. But he went to see his mom and dad all the time.

At Moselle after the murders, Wilson recalls conversation with other friends and law partners that Alex didn't need to talk to SLED without a lawyer present. They all felt Alex wasn't in a good state of mind and didn't need to talk to SLED by himself. He was destroyed, he was upset. He knew from being a lawyer that's not something Alex should do alone, same advice he'd give any client. But he personally didn't want to be Alex's lawyer, just his friend.

Griffin asks Wilson about his pretrial State Grand Jury testimony saying Alex wasn't in the state of mind to do so, meaning to talk to SLED.

Wilson says he's not sure Alex ever went back and spent another night at Moselle after the murders.

Griffin has Wilson identify Buster Murdaugh in the courtroom, and his girlfriend Brooklynn White. Buster and Brooklynn stand up for the court. Griffin has no more questions.

Creighton Waters now in redirect. Brings up how Griffin had made the point Wilson didn't know there was a problem with missing fees around the time of June 7. Waters points out, however, that this was also before Wilson had put $192,000 of his own money up to cover Alex.

Waters asks again if Wilson noticed no erratic behavior or opioid use? No sir.

Wilson acknowledges Alex came from a prominent family and was a prominent lawyer.

Wilson on Alex being a "people person.
Waters: "Was the defendant effective in closing arguments?
Wilson: "Yessir, very.
Waters: "Could the defendant show emotion in closing arguments?
Wilson: "Yessir, he did.
Waters: "Was the defendant good with people?
Wilson: "Yessir, that was one of Alex's strengths with clients and people met, connecting to people that he didn't know quite as personally. He could make connections with people. He seemed to know what -- he seemed to know what made people tick. He knew what was important to people. He could spot issues and address issues in a case when you got him to focus. He could handle most things.
Wilson notes how their kids grew up together and done business together. They had been roommates. He believed Alex would pay him back the $192,000.

Waters: "On September 4, 2021, did he confess to you the truth of his life that, of those who were close to him, no one knew.
Wilson: "He confessed to me things about him that I didn't know.
Waters: "And you had no idea about any of that?
Wilson: "No sir.
Waters: "And he said it'd been going on for years -- the reality of his life?
Wilson: "He told me that he'd been addicted to opioids, and I think he either said for 20 or over 20 years.
Waters: "And also?
Wilson: "And that he'd been stealing money from his clients and from the firm?
Waters: "And that was a lightning bolt because you had no ideas despite being his best friend?
Griffin objects (leading, argumentative)

Waters: "You were one of his best friends?
Wilson: "Yes.
Waters: "Did you have any idea that any of that had been going on for a decade?
Wilson: "I'd been told the day before by Lee Cope in that phone call that Alex had been stealing from his firm and from clients, and that he had a drug problem and was going into rehab. And that's the first that I would've ever known that.
Court recessed for lunch until around 2:15 p.m.

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/liv...ily-killed-sc-south-carolina-double-homicide#
2/9/2023

LIVE RECAP: Murdaugh murder trial - Feb. 9-- PM

Back from recess. The defense is arguing the testimony of Tony Satterfield shouldn't be admissible due to its nature of character prejudice.

Defense is arguing again the testimony of Tony Satterfield shouldn't be allowed because it's purely character evidence prejudicial to Murdaugh, not relevant to the State's theory of motive for murder.

Judge Newman denies the Defense's motion to block Satterfield's testimony, overruling their objections and again finding the probative value of the testimony greater than the prejudicial risk due to the extraordinary circumstances of the case.

Harpootlian tried to argue that because the State's theory about motive points to Murdaugh's state of mind at the time of the murders, the fact Satterfield didn't call Murdaugh about news of a settlement in his Mom's wrongful death case until AFTER the murders on June 22 should be excluded.

Next witness: Michael "Tony" Satterfield​

Creighton Waters for the State is questioning Michael Tony Satterfield. His mother, Gloria, was a longtime housekeeper and caregiver for Alex and Maggie Murdaugh. Gloria died in February 2018 after a trip and fall accident at Murdaugh's home in Moselle.

Following his mother's death, around the time of his mother's funeral, Satterfield says Alex Murdaugh came to him and said he wanted to "take care of" Tony and his brother, Brian. Alex told them he was going to file a claim against his insurance company, and he hoped to get both Tony and Brian $100,000 apiece and pay for their Mom's hospital bills as well.

Satterfield says he believed Murdaugh was acting as his attorney during this time. Met with Murdaugh at his office, became the personal representative of his mother's estate.

At some point in time, Satterfield says Murdaugh told him there was a conflict of interest with him being Tony's lawyer. So Alex introduced Tony to his friend Cory Fleming, and Fleming technically became Tony's lawyer. Tony says he only met Fleming once, maybe twice.

Later, Tony says Alex came to him again and said they should appoint Chad Westendorf, a VP at Palmetto State Bank, as the new PR for his mother's estate because Chad was a businessman and that would be good to have someone like him involved to go up against the insurance company. Tony agreed, and signed over his rights. Says he also only met with Chad W. once or twice.

Waters asks Tony if Alex informed him at the time of signing over his PR rights that a $505K settlement had already been recovered from one of Alex's insurers. He was not, and says Alex, nor Cory, nor Chad ever told him about the $505K settlement.

Waters asks if Tony knew about there being another "umbrella" insurance policy Alex had worth $5 million at the time of signing over his PR rights? He did not.

Satterfield says Alex, nor Cory, nor Chad ever told him they'd gotten a $3.8 million settlement from the insurer on that $5 million policy.

In all, Murdaugh, Fleming and Westendorf secured $4.3 million from Alex's insurance companies. Satterfield confirms he never got a dime of that money.

Satterfield reviews some conversations with Alex after this all went down. Alex said initially the case was going to be hard, and later told him they were making progress, but never mentioned there'd already been 2 recoveries.

Waters has Tony review text messages between him and Alex on April 12, 2021. Alex reached out to him first, just said he wanted to check on him and let him know they were still working on the case.

Then in June 2021, Tony says he was made aware of media reports noting there had already been a settlement in his mother's case. He called Alex around June 22.

In general, Tony says he talked to Alex every few months. Alex never told him there was a settlement, and he and his brother never got a cent of any settlement money.

Satterfield notes he was the person who always handled stuff with his mom's estate and his finances because his brother is a vulnerable adult with a disability.

Satterfield eventually sought legal representation about the fact they hadn't gotten their money. The Beach family's lawyer Mark Tinsley referred them to Eric Bland, who eventually filed a lawsuit. That resulted months later in a confession of judgment (admission of money owed and agreement to pay) by Alex Murdaugh for the Satterfield family.

Waters asks Satterfield why did he agree to Alex's plan to go after the insurance company.

Tony: "Because I trusted him."
Dick Harpootlian in cross exam for the Defense has Tony establish that Alex told him they (Tony and his brother) would be suing HIM (Alex) and also that Alex told him his mother fell down the stairs because Alex's dogs tripped her. Satterfield acknowledges both.

Harpootlian asks why didn't Tony contact Cory Fleming or Chad Westendorf. He says because it was a team and Alex was part of the team.

Harpootlian asks if it's true that attorney Eric Bland has secured more than $6 million for Satterfield through the course of the lawsuit from others involved, NOT including the $4.3 million confession of judgment.

Harpootlian asks Tony if that $6 million made him MORE than whole.

There appeared to be some confusion over whether or not Tony knew about the $6+ million. Tony eventually answered, yes, he did.

Next witness: Jan Malinoski​

Now onto current witness, Jan Malinowski, CEO of Palmetto State Bank. He succeeded Russell Laffitte after Laffitte was fired and indicted for fraud and money laundering in cahoots with Alex Murdaugh.

Malinowski discusses Alex Murdaugh being a bank customer. Russell Laffitte was Alex's personal banker to an extent. Worked a lot together.

Murdaugh had significant loans with the bank. After the murders, this fact and the extent of Murdaugh's loans were brought up with the board and executive committee of the bank.

Reviewing July 20, 2021 bank board meeting minutes, no mention of Alex Murdaugh noted in the record. No mention of a loan to Alex Murdaugh either.

August 9, 2021, board member Norris Laffitte emailed the bank executive committee asking for a full accounting of all Murdaugh's loans and account balances with the bank.

Immediately after, records show Russell Laffitte deposited $400,000 into Murdaugh's checking account. Right before that happened, Murdaugh's account was -$367,000 in overdraft.

Malinowski notes the bank statement shows the overdraft charge for Murdaugh's -$347,000 was only $5. The whole courtroom laughed.

New account balance was $52,000. Malinowski explains the $400,000 was debited to the banks own funds for a "Loan not on system." Meaning, the money came right out of the bank's holdings. Malinowski says there was no loan application or paperwork in existence. Board never aware of that until later.

Malinowski explains an internal review later found a "flurry" of activity in the Hampton office to create loan documents after the fact to cover this unexplained $400,000.

August 12, the board learns about Alex's full financial condition with the bank and ongoing money being given to Alex. Total debts $4.2 million in secured and unsecured loans. Malinowski says loan paperwork for the $400,000 transfer on August 9 was backdated to July 15, 2021, but the actual internal computer system identification number on the "loan" wasn't created until August.

Malinowski says the bank learned through further investigation later that the loan paperwork for the August 2021 was backdated to July so that it could also cover a $350,000 money wire transfer to Chris Wilson's law firm (Murdaugh paying back part of $792,000 he owed Wilson for missing Mack Trucks case fees).

But Malinowski says when the board was originally informed about the loan at the August board meeting, it listed "Beach house renovations" as the purpose for the loan.

The board in the August meeting noted how it didn't appear the "loan" for this $750,000 had been approved by the executive committee, which included Malinowski. But Russell Laffitte countered it had been approved by a three-member majority of the committee: Himself, his father Charlie and his sister Gray.

Malinowski says the "beach house renovations" excuse for the $750,000 "loan" was offered with an appraisal request from April 2021 as an attempt to show it as legitimate, but further scrutiny showed the appraisal was requested not for a new loan, but as a continuation of an existing mortgage.

Additionally, collateral pledged on the new "loan" was already used as collateral on Murdaugh's other loans, and it included properties that had been in default so long the bank had charged them off -- meaning they stopped attempting to collect repayment, However, the defaulted loans still should've prevented Murdaugh from taking out new loans.

Waters has Malinowski note Russell Laffitte was fired after it was discovered the extent to which he misappropriated funds from the bank and aided Murdaugh in stealing millions of dollars from clients.

Malinowski says if at any time prior to the murders or discovery of the thefts Murdaugh had been discovered, his relationship to the bank would've been terminated and he'd have been reported to authorities.

Back from recess​

We're back from recess and Phil Barber has moved for the defense to exclude testimony of Mark Tinsley because he made a $1,000 donation to a set up for Murdaugh's mother's caretaker Shelly Smith "as a reward or her honesty testifying" during the middle of the trial -- a trial he has a financial interest in the outcome of.

Judge Newman will not block Tinsley from testifying, but he suggests twice to Barber that this issue sounds like it would be really good for the defense to bring up in cross examination.

Barber also asks Judge Newman to preclude Tinsley from testifying about Murdaugh "fixing" a jury in Hampton County or pretrial focus group outcomes. Newman says he's loathe to screen witness testimony in advance. If they have an objection, make it during questioning.

The page was set up on Wednesday, Jan. 8, by a woman who identifies herself as Smith's daughter, Rachelle Buckner.

The description was edited by Thursday afternoon. As of 4:30 p.m. Thursday, it reads:

Hi my name is Rachelle Buckner. I am starting this for my mother Mushell Smith. We just want to show how proud we are of her.
For BRAVERY ... these are her children doing this for her!! She had no idea about this!!!
As of the same time, the page had reached about $7,800 towards a $20,000 goal.

Later at 5:45 p.m., the page had raised about $11,500.

After this back-and-forth, the defense cross-examined Malinowski.

Defense attorney Jim Griffin has Malinowski confirm that around the time of the murders, Murdaugh could have walked into Palmetto State Bank and gotten a loan since he was not under scrutiny with them.

When everything "crashed and burned," Malinowski confirms the bank was left holding the bag for all these uncollected loans, including the $750,000.

Next witness: Mark Tinsley​

His connection to all this: He's the lawyer for the family of Mallory Beach. She's the girl who died in a 2019 boat crash in which Paul Murdaugh was reportedly drunk driving his father's boat.

Tinsley knew Murdaugh through being in practice in the same area of the state. Worked with Alex on a few cases, saw him a good bit, watched him in court. Even saw him give the final argument in the first case at the Allendale Courthouse after it was rebuilt in 2005. He notes Alex cried in the courtroom.

Tinsley says at monthly roster meetings, Alex would sometimes have up to 50 to 60 percent of the cases in Hampton. He was a very prolific lawyer.

Tinsley discussing the boat case now.

Tinsley says after the boat crash, law enforcement blocked off the road. Law enforcement wouldn't allow her to go to the scene of the crash because it was an "active crime scene." Yet immediately after, Alex's father Randolph and wife Maggie showed up, and they were immediately waved past the police barricade and allowed to go to the scene. That greatly upset Mallory's mom and she retained Tinsley soon after.

Tinsley says once it became clear that he was likely going to sue Alex, he was put in contact with Danny Henderson at PMPED. Henderson would be Murdaugh's personal lawyer. Henderson provided Tinsley copies of Murdaugh's insurance policies about 10 days after the crash. Only thing that provided coverage was a $500,000 policy on the boat.

Tinsley says the Murdaugh "umbrella" policy for $5 million referenced in the Satterfield case was no longer active or available when the boat crash happened because Lloyd's of London didn't renew it due to the open claim in the Satterfield case.

Tinsley said he immediately knew the $500,000 wouldn't be enough because not only did Mallory Beach die, but two other people on the boat suffered serious injuries.

Tinsley says it became apparent Alex was going to have to pay out of pocket to cover the expenses. He sued Alex in March 2019.

Tinsley says Alex knew Paul had a propensity to drink and ultimately allowed the boat wreck to happen. He was liable. He made clear multiple times to Alex's attorneys he was going to be suing Murdaugh personally.

Tinsley on Murdaugh: "He was always going to have to pay and pay a lot of money."
Tinsley says Murdaugh and he were at a convention later in 2019. Tinsley says Murdaugh saw him at the hotel, and made a bee-line right toward him and got in his face.

"Hey bo, what's this I've been hearing about what you've been saying? I thought we were friends?"
Tinsley says he told Alex we are friends but if he didn't think Tinsley was going to do everything he could do to look out for his clients, Alex was wrong and he needed to settle the case.

Tinsley says he started subpoenaing evidence and felt he had a strong case.

Tinsley says there were a number of law enforcement depositions where law enforcement wasn't completely truthful until Tinsley brought out the documents about what happened the night of the crash.

Tinsley says he ran several mock trials in which jurors returned very favorable results for him and the Beach family. Eventually he decides he's going to go after Murdaugh for $10 million out of pocket. Murdaugh's attorneys responded he might be able to put together a million.

Tinsley says he didn't believe Murdaugh at all in saying he could only get $1 million. Tinsley says he offered Murdaugh a payment plan if he couldn't pay that, and offered him the ability to convey some of his more valuable properties like Moselle and the Edisto Beach house.

Tinsley says Murdaugh's lawyers continued insisting Murdaugh didn't have that kind of money. Tinsley couldn't believe it because of how much money he thought Murdaugh made through his career as a lawyer. Tinsley was generally familiar with Murdaugh's work and reputation and believed Murdaugh to have a very lucrative practice.

Eventually Tinsley files a motion in court to compel Murdaugh to turn over a list of bank accounts and financial holdings to prove he was really not as financially well off as he claimed. That would've allowed Tinsley to subpoena the financial institutions if approved and see how much money Murdaugh had and where it was held.

Tinsley thought what was really going on was Murdaugh didn't want people to know how much money he was making, and so he was wanting to put pressure on him by filing this motion to compel.

Before recess, Tinsley said he was before the murders considering moving the venue of the lawsuit out of Hampton to Beaufort county over concerns of getting an unfair jury trial due to Murdaugh's influence. He noted he'd also discovered lots of videos from Paul's girlfriend of Paul drinking underage and being very drunk.

Court in recess until 9:30 Friday.

Harpootlian asks for clear timeline on when State will be done. Waters says midweek next week (Wednesday, Feb. 15) Harpootlian says they think the Defense's case will take a week after that. Defense is flying in out of state experts.

Buster Murdaugh has been booted to the back of court after reportedly putting his middle finger up at a witness in his father's double murder trial.

The 26-year-old law graduate is said to have kicked over a water bottle in anger when security asked him to move out of the front row behind his father.

Alex's sister Lynn was also allegedly seen passing a note to his lawyer and the pair have been warned they will be banned from the trial if there are further breaches

1676012901152.png

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Murdaugh-night-double-murders-sets--page.html

Alex Murdaugh's double murder trial took a sensational turn today as a lawyer who has testified against him was accused of making a $1,000 payment to another prosecution witness.

Defense attorney Phillip Barber interrupted proceedings to demand that the testimony of Mark Tinsley be struck from the record, alleging that he last night donated to a page for Shelly Smith, Murdaugh's mother's caregiver.

Smith's daughter, Rachelle Buckner, set up the page to 'reward her mother's bravery' after her emotional testimony about seeing Murdaugh on the night of the murders which prosecutors say shatters his alibi.

Feb 10, 2023

COLLETON COUNTY, S.C. (WCIV) — Week 3 of the Murdaugh murder trial is expected to wrap up Friday with more focus on Alex's financials and state of mind at the time of the murders.

Live blog embed authored by Drew Tripp.

Mark Tinsley back on the stand this morning.
  • Comment

7 hours ago

Tinsley says a hearing was set for May 10, 2021 on the motion to compel Murdaugh and his attorney to turn over his financial accounts. Tinsley says because of Murdaugh's attorney (and Tinsley's friend) John Tiller undergoing cancer treatments, the motion hearing was rescheduled for June 10,
  • Comment

7 hours ago

Tinsley says the hearing was canceled after the murders and Alex became a very sympathetic figure. He felt the boat crash case lawsuit was effectively over because of the sympathy Murdaugh would receive. No jury would punish Murdaugh now.
  • Comment

7 hours ago

State had no more questions. Phil Barber for the defense asks Tinsley if it was true he testified pre-trial that Murdaugh's crimes would not have "blown up" and been discovered immediately on June 10 if Murdaugh's financial accounts were turned over that day.
  • Comment

7 hours ago

Tinsley after some verbal jousting with Barber says it's a bit out of context, but he probably did say things wouldn't have blown up on June 10.
  • Comment

7 hours ago

Barber had no further questions. Didn't bring up Tinsley's donation to the for Murdaugh's mother's caretaker despite trying to get Tinsley barred from testifying over it yesterday.
  • Comment

7 hours ago

In redirect, Tinsley told Creighton Waters the downstream effect of Murdaugh being ordered to disclose his accounts would subpoenaed those accounts for Murdaugh's financial records. That would've inevitably revealed Murdaugh's thefts and forgeries to both himself and Murdaugh's law firm. Murdaugh's career would've been over an he'd have gone to jail.
  • Comment

7 hours ago

Now on the stand, Blanca Turrobiate-Simpson. Worked for Alex Murdaugh.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Blanca is a native of Brownsville, Texas. Went into the military right out of high school. Mother of 5. Incredibly diverse career. Heavy equipment operator, prison worker, real estate agent, grocery store stocker.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Blanca and her husband moved back to South Carolina and his native hometown of Gifford in Hampton County. One day, she met a Spanish speaking person at the grocery store in Hampton, became friends. Friend was having trouble getting results in a lawsuit because of language barrier, and Blanca helped the friend find a new attorney. This is how she met Alex Murdaugh.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Blanca began offering interpreter services for Murdaugh on a regular basis after that. Year was 2007. Eventually became a fulltime domestic worker for the Murdaugh's, helping run the household for Maggie. She knew Paul and Buster as young children.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Blanca suffered a stroke around 2015. It took her a long time to recover, but eventually came back to work for Maggie after the boat crash in 2019. Blanca says she and Maggie had become close friends through the course of their relationship.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Friday, June 4, 2021. Blanca was at the house. She was walking out of the laundry room as Paul was walking in the front door. She recalls him holding a laundry basket full of clothes.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Paul: What's us Mrs. B?
Blanca: Boy, if you've got all them dirty clothes and you want me to take care of that -- I'm getting ready to leave?
Paul: Aw, come on Mrs. B, you can help me out, I need them for the weekend.
Blanca: Just pull a couple of them out -- what you need -- and I'll take care of it.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Very emotional moment.

Blanca says she ended up staying late to wash Paul's clothes. She saw him leave that evening, and never saw him again.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Blanca's hours weren't set. Maggie was OK with that. "No worries."
  • Comment

6 hours ago

She was scheduled to work at Moselle on June 7. Maggie texted her and asked if she could stop at the grocery story on the way to Moselle because Alex wanted some orange Capri Sun drinks. She remembers she wasn't able to find those specific ones.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

The last texts they exchanged, Maggie said she had a doctor's appointment, and Alex wanted her to come home from Edisto Beach to Moselle afterward. Maggie asked Blanca to cook because Paul liked the way she cooked and Maggie wouldn't be home in time from the Doctor's appointment.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Blanca says she also talked to Maggie on the phone. Maggie didn't really want to come home. She liked being at Edisto, and had been down there staying busy getting the house ready for the 4th of July celebration coming up soon.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Blanca said Maggie sounded like she DIDN'T want to come home and disappointed. Maggie also told her Alex had asked Paul to come home to clean up some mess made by the caretaker CB Rowe to get ready for a hunt.

Blanca says Maggie like to stay in Edisto most of the spring and summer.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Morning of June 7, Maggie had just left. Paul wasn't there. Alex wasn't a morning person. Couple hours passed, Alex left for work. He was wearing a seafoam color polo shirt, khaki pants and a blue sport coat, brown leather work shoes. She saw the shirt up close because Alex's collar was sticking up and she fixed it right before he walked out the door.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

She made cube steak & gravy, white rice and green beans for dinner. Texted Maggie she'd left it on the stove and she was leaving.

Meadors asked if Blanca is a good cook. She sheepishly acknowledges.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

She heard early the next morning from Alex, saying Maggie and Paul were dead. "They're gone." At first she thought, Alex just meant Maggie had gone back to Edisto. She literally dropped the phone she was in such shock when Alex said they're dead.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Blanca went to Almeda to Alex's parents' house where Buster and Alex were staying. Checked on them. Alex asked her to go to Moselle to straighten up the way Maggie liked it. "You knew her best."
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Blanca recalls walking into the Moselle. She becomes upset, starts cryin. "It was hard because I knew (Maggie) wasn't going to be coming back. I didn't want to move her stuff. It was just a weird feeling going through, when I unlocked the front door to get in. I felt cold."

John Meadors: You really cared for her, didn't you?
Blanca: I did.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Once she got in the kitchen, noticed there were no pots on the stove. Unusual. Pots stayed on the stove until the next day almost always. Maggie didn't put stuff in the refrigerator. Pots also weren't in the sink.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Blanca walked through the kitchen to the laundry room, noticed Maggie's pajamas were lying on the floor neatly in the doorway to the laundry room. Blanca always handled the laundry for the fily. She says Maggie wouldn't lay her clothes out like that. Underwear being there with pajama bottoms was unusual. She didn't wear underwear with her pajamas. And the underwear appeared to have fresh fold creases still in them.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Found the pots in the refrigerator with lids on.

Walking further through the house, she found Maggie's clothes in pile on the floor in the master bathroom. On the floor of the bathroom was a slight puddle of water and a pair of khaki pants.

In the master bedroom, a damp towel was on the floor in the closet. A t-shirt had fallen onto the floor from the shelf in the closet.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Blanca says Murdaugh had a big collection of t-shirts. She washed, ironed and folded them, and stacked them on the shelf in their closet. His white t-shirts he wore under suits were kept in a dresser drawer.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Blanca says she didn't check to see if the food in the pots was eaten. Blanca says she took the damp towel and khaki pants to the laundry room and washed them.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Court is in recess.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Back in session. Blanca says she'd seen the t-shirt and shorts before that Alex was wearing when police arrived. Both were clean the last time she saw them. Shirt would've been kept on the shelf in the closet where she found the damp towel and the shirt that appeared to have fallen.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

State plays the Snapchat video off Paul's phone. Murdaugh was wearing the seafoam shirt, khaki pants, and his house loafers. Blanca says she never saw the shirt (there were several similar ones but different colors), the house loafers or a pair of Sperry boat shoes from the closet, ever again.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Blanca and her husband were paid to stay at the Moselle property and take care of it after the murders for a long time. They now take care of Bubba the dog, lives with them.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Backing up, Blanca clarifies the seafoam Columbia shirt Alex is seen wearing in the Snapchat video is not the same one he was wearing when he left for work.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Blanca says Bubba the dog was prone to chase and catch chickens and guinea fowl. he wouldn't let them go easily, very stubborn.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Murdaugh's belongings were moved to a house in Hampton. Murdaugh rarely stayed there. Just came to eat and get belongings.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

One day in August 2021, Alex came to her in the house in Hampton and was distressed. Wanted to talk to her about something. Said he told her something was wrong, mentioned there was a video of him. And then he asked her if she remembered the "Vinny Vines" (Vineyard Vines) shirt he was wearing the day of the murders.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Blanca says she was confused, in her mind she knew Alex wasn't wearing a Vineyard Vines shirt that day. She helped fix the collar. It was a polo shirt. It was a different material. She wasn't sure what Alex was trying to accomplish by asking about a totally different shirt. Was he trying to suggest to her she should say he was wearing a DIFFERENT shirt if she was asked about the shirt? She didn't say anything but she was taken aback. "I know what he was wearing the day he left the house."
  • Comment
Sept. 4, 2021. Alex contacts Blanca asking for copies of insurance cards. Says he's got some routine checkups. She thought it was weird, where was he going to see a doctor on Saturday. They texted back and forth.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Meadors: After Sept. 4, 2021, did you and your husband quit living at Moselle?
Blanca: We did.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Meadors asks Blanca about if she cleaned Maggie's Mercedes. She had picked the SUV up from impound at the sheriff's office. While cleaning the SUV, she found Maggie's wedding band under the driver seat.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Blanca says Maggie didn't like staying at Moselle by herself.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Blanca says Maggie one day a few months before the murders had a conversation with her. Maggie said she needed to talk to her. She made them coffee, and they went into the hunting room and Maggie shut the door. Dick Harpootlian objects, hearsay.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Meadors asks quickly if Maggie was worried about money issues. Dick Harpootlian loudly objects.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Harpootlian says there's a matter that needs to be put on the record, jury sent to the jury room.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

With jury out of the room, Harpootlian moves for a mistrial citing Meadors' introducing the info during an objection. Dick says you can't "unring the bell," the jury has heard.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Meadors cites rule of evidence 803(3) which provides exceptions for hearsay when the hearsay relates to "existing state of mind, emotion, sensation, or physical condition"
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Blanca is asked to proffer the testimony outside of the jury's presence so he can rule. Blanca testifies Maggie told her they were being sued for $30 million and they didn't have the money. She wishes she could make it all go away, was willing to start over if they needed to.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Meadors says that relates to money issues. Blanca interjects and says money issues related to the lawsuit.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Harpootlian objects, says Blanca's statements aren't relevant. It doesn't reflect Alex's state of mind, and Alex is on trial. Just because Maggie was worried about money doesn't mean Alex was.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Judge Newman rules against Harpootlian, citing all the testimony we've previously heard in response to both the State and the Defense saying how happy a family the Murdaughs were with no strife.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Blanca testifies now in front of the jury Maggie told her she was anxious in the months before the murders because of the lawsuit for $30 million. Blanca says Maggie told her she felt Alex wasn't telling her the whole truth about what was happening with that lawsuit. Blanca says Maggie told her "(Alex) doesn't tell me everything."
  • Comment

5 hours ago

State now plays the video from Paul's phone from the dog kennels at 8:44 p.m. the night of the murders. She recognizes the voices of Paul, Maggie and Alex's voices. She originally testified in the past she thought she might've heard a 4th voice, but upon relistening is confident she only heard three voices.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

She says Maggie wouldn't go to the kennels by herself at night. It's dark down there and Maggie was scared. She took the dogs with her everywhere, Grady and Bubba, and would usually take one or the other to the beach.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Blanca testifies Alex was always on his phone when she saw him at home.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Blanca says she didn't see any bloody clothes when she went to the Moselle house the day after the murders.

• Comment

5 hours ago

She testifies she's never seen again the shirt or shoes Alex was wearing in the video from Paul's Snapchat.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Harpootlian questioning Blanca for defense. Doesn't recall he met her before at Maggie and Paul's funerals.

First witness: Mark Tinsley returns to the stand​

Tinsley says a hearing was set for May 10, 2021 on the motion to compel Murdaugh and his attorney to turn over his financial accounts. Tinsley says because of Murdaugh's attorney (and Tinsley's friend) John Tiller undergoing cancer treatments, the motion hearing was rescheduled for June 10,

Tinsley says the hearing was canceled after the murders and Alex became a very sympathetic figure. He felt the boat crash case lawsuit was effectively over because of the sympathy Murdaugh would receive. No jury would punish Murdaugh now.

State had no more questions. Phil Barber for the defense asks Tinsley if it was true he testified pre-trial that Murdaugh's crimes would not have "blown up" and been discovered immediately on June 10 if Murdaugh's financial accounts were turned over that day.

Tinsley after some verbal jousting with Barber says it's a bit out of context, but he probably did say things wouldn't have blown up on June 10.

Barber had no further questions. Didn't bring up Tinsley's donation to the for Murdaugh's mother's caretaker despite trying to get Tinsley barred from testifying over it yesterday.

In redirect, Tinsley told Creighton Waters the downstream effect of Murdaugh being ordered to disclose his accounts would subpoenaed those accounts for Murdaugh's financial records. That would've inevitably revealed Murdaugh's thefts and forgeries to both himself and Murdaugh's law firm. Murdaugh's career would've been over an he'd have gone to jail.

Second witness: Blanca Turrobiate-Simpson​

Blanca is a native of Brownsville, Texas. Went into the military right out of high school. Mother of 5. Incredibly diverse career. Heavy equipment operator, prison worker, real estate agent, grocery store stocker.

Blanca and her husband moved back to South Carolina and his native hometown of Gifford in Hampton County. One day, she met a Spanish speaking person at the grocery store in Hampton, became friends. Friend was having trouble getting results in a lawsuit because of language barrier, and Blanca helped the friend find a new attorney. This is how she met Alex Murdaugh.

Blanca began offering interpreter services for Murdaugh on a regular basis after that. Year was 2007. Eventually became a fulltime domestic worker for the Murdaugh's, helping run the household for Maggie. She knew Paul and Buster as young children.

Blanca suffered a stroke around 2015. It took her a long time to recover, but eventually came back to work for Maggie after the boat crash in 2019. Blanca says she and Maggie had become close friends through the course of their relationship.

Friday, June 4, 2021. Blanca was at the house. She was walking out of the laundry room as Paul was walking in the front door. She recalls him holding a laundry basket full of clothes.

Paul: What's up Mrs. B?
Blanca: Boy, if you've got all them dirty clothes and you want me to take care of that -- I'm getting ready to leave?
Blanca: Just pull a couple of them out -- what you need -- and I'll take care of it.
Very emotional moment.

Blanca says she ended up staying late to wash Paul's clothes. She saw him leave that evening, and never saw him again.

She was scheduled to work at Moselle on June 7. Maggie texted her and asked if she could stop at the grocery story on the way to Moselle because Alex wanted some orange Capri Sun drinks. She remembers she wasn't able to find those specific ones.

The last texts they exchanged, Maggie said she had a doctor's appointment, and Alex wanted her to come home from Edisto Beach to Moselle afterward. Maggie asked Blanca to cook because Paul liked the way she cooked and Maggie wouldn't be home in time from the Doctor's appointment.

Blanca says she also talked to Maggie on the phone. Maggie didn't really want to come home. She liked being at Edisto, and had been down there staying busy getting the house ready for the 4th of July celebration coming up soon.

Blanca said Maggie sounded like she DIDN'T want to come home and disappointed. Maggie also told her Alex had asked Paul to come home to clean up some mess made by the caretaker CB Rowe to get ready for a hunt.

Morning of June 7, Maggie had just left. Paul wasn't there. Alex wasn't a morning person. Couple hours passed, Alex left for work. He was wearing a seafoam color polo shirt, khaki pants and a blue sport coat, brown leather work shoes. She saw the shirt up close because Alex's collar was sticking up and she fixed it right before he walked out the door.

She made cube steak & gravy, white rice and green beans for dinner. Texted Maggie she'd left it on the stove and she was leaving.

She heard early the next morning from Alex, saying Maggie and Paul were dead. "They're gone." At first she thought, Alex just meant Maggie had gone back to Edisto. She literally dropped the phone she was in such shock when Alex said they're dead.

Blanca went to Almeda to Alex's parents' house where Buster and Alex were staying. Checked on them. Alex asked her to go to Moselle to straighten up the way Maggie liked it. "You knew her best."

Blanca recalls walking into the Moselle. She becomes upset, starts cryin. "It was hard because I knew (Maggie) wasn't going to be coming back. I didn't want to move her stuff. It was just a weird feeling going through, when I unlocked the front door to get in. I felt cold."

John Meadors: "You really cared for her, didn't you?"
Blanca: "I did."
Once she got in the kitchen, noticed there were no pots on the stove. Unusual. Pots stayed on the stove until the next day almost always. Maggie didn't put stuff in the refrigerator. Pots also weren't in the sink.

Blanca walked through the kitchen to the laundry room, noticed Maggie's pajamas were lying on the floor neatly in the doorway to the laundry room. Blanca always handled the laundry for the fily. She says Maggie wouldn't lay her clothes out like that. Underwear being there with pajama bottoms was unusual. She didn't wear underwear with her pajamas. And the underwear appeared to have fresh fold creases still in them.

Walking further through the house, she found Maggie's clothes in pile on the floor in the master bathroom. On the floor of the bathroom was a slight puddle of water and a pair of khaki pants.

In the master bedroom, a damp towel was on the floor in the closet. A t-shirt had fallen onto the floor from the shelf in the closet.

Blanca says Murdaugh had a big collection of t-shirts. She washed, ironed and folded them, and stacked them on the shelf in their closet. His white t-shirts he wore under suits were kept in a dresser drawer.

Blanca says she didn't check to see if the food in the pots was eaten. Blanca says she took the damp towel and khaki pants to the laundry room and washed them.

Blanca says she'd seen the t-shirt and shorts before that Alex was wearing when police arrived. Both were clean the last time she saw them. Shirt would've been kept on the shelf in the closet where she found the damp towel and the shirt that appeared to have fallen.

State plays the Snapchat video off Paul's phone. Murdaugh was wearing the seafoam shirt, khaki pants, and his house loafers. Blanca says she never saw the shirt (there were several similar ones but different colors), the house loafers or a pair of Sperry boat shoes from the closet, ever again.

Blanca and her husband were paid to stay at the Moselle property and take care of it after the murders for a long time. They now take care of Bubba the dog, lives with them.

Backing up, Blanca clarifies the seafoam Columbia shirt Alex is seen wearing in the Snapchat video is not the same one he was wearing when he left for work.

Blanca says Bubba the dog was prone to chase and catch chickens and guinea fowl. he wouldn't let them go easily, very stubborn.

Murdaugh's belongings were moved to a house in Hampton. Murdaugh rarely stayed there. Just came to eat and get belongings.

One day in August 2021, Alex came to her in the house in Hampton and was distressed. Wanted to talk to her about something. Said he told her something was wrong, mentioned there was a video of him. And then he asked her if she remembered the "Vinny Vines" (Vineyard Vines) shirt he was wearing the day of the murders.

Blanca says she was confused, in her mind she knew Alex wasn't wearing a Vineyard Vines shirt that day. She helped fix the collar. It was a polo shirt. It was a different material. She wasn't sure what Alex was trying to accomplish by asking about a totally different shirt. Was he trying to suggest to her she should say he was wearing a DIFFERENT shirt if she was asked about the shirt? She didn't say anything but she was taken aback. "I know what he was wearing the day he left the house."

Sept. 4, 2021. Alex contacts Blanca asking for copies of insurance cards. Says he's got some routine checkups. She thought it was weird, where was he going to see a doctor on Saturday. They texted back and forth.

Meadors: "After Sept. 4, 2021, did you and your husband quit living at Moselle?"
Blanca: "We did."
Meadors asks Blanca about if she cleaned Maggie's Mercedes. She had picked the SUV up from impound at the sheriff's office. While cleaning the SUV, she found Maggie's wedding band under the driver seat.

Blanca says Maggie one day a few months before the murders had a conversation with her. Maggie said she needed to talk to her. She made them coffee, and they went into the hunting room and Maggie shut the door. Dick Harpootlian objects, hearsay.

Meadors asks quickly if Maggie was worried about money issues. Dick Harpootlian loudly objects.

Harpootlian says there's a matter that needs to be put on the record, jury sent to the jury room.

With jury out of the room, Harpootlian moves for a mistrial citing Meadors' introducing the info during an objection. Dick says you can't "unring the bell," the jury has heard.

Meadors cites rule of evidence 803(3) which provides exceptions for hearsay when the hearsay relates to "existing state of mind, emotion, sensation, or physical condition"

Blanca is asked to proffer the testimony outside of the jury's presence so he can rule. Blanca testifies Maggie told her they were being sued for $30 million and they didn't have the money. She wishes she could make it all go away, was willing to start over if they needed to.

Meadors says that relates to money issues. Blanca interjects and says money issues related to the lawsuit.

Harpootlian objects, says Blanca's statements aren't relevant. It doesn't reflect Alex's state of mind, and Alex is on trial. Just because Maggie was worried about money doesn't mean Alex was.

Judge Newman rules against Harpootlian, citing all the testimony we've previously heard in response to both the State and the Defense saying how happy a family the Murdaughs were with no strife.

Blanca testifies now in front of the jury Maggie told her she was anxious in the months before the murders because of the lawsuit for $30 million. Blanca says Maggie told her she felt Alex wasn't telling her the whole truth about what was happening with that lawsuit. Blanca says Maggie told her "(Alex) doesn't tell me everything."

State now plays the video from Paul's phone from the dog kennels at 8:44 p.m. the night of the murders. She recognizes the voices of Paul, Maggie and Alex's voices. She originally testified in the past she thought she might've heard a 4th voice, but upon relistening is confident she only heard three voices.

She says Maggie wouldn't go to the kennels by herself at night. It's dark down there and Maggie was scared. She took the dogs with her everywhere, Grady and Bubba, and would usually take one or the other to the beach.

Blanca says she didn't see any bloody clothes when she went to the Moselle house the day after the murders.

She testifies she's never seen again the shirt or shoes Alex was wearing in the video from Paul's Snapchat.

Harpootlian questioning Blanca for defense. Doesn't recall he met her before at Maggie and Paul's funerals.

Blanca recalls telling law enforcement Maggie was Alex's "all." He "adored her."

Blanca never witnessed serious arguments or fights between Maggie and Alex. Just general couple disagreements. In months before the murders, Maggie just wanted Alex to "sit still and listen to her for 10 minutes" about remodeling at the beach house, paint colors and stuff.

Harpootlian tells Blanca there had been dozens of people, including friends and law partners in the house the night before, which could explain how the food was put in the refrigerator and dishes in the sink.

Blanca says the next day after the murders while she was cleaning, some SLED agents came in and out. They were in the house walking around before she left, before she picked up the khaki pants and towel and washed them.

Blanca says she was still in shock and trying to process what had happened to her friend. Didn't start cleaning immediately. It took her time to process things. She's unsure where SLED was looking and what they might've collected.

Blanca concedes Alex had several pairs of khaki pants similar to the ones he was seen wearing in the Snapchat video.

Blanca is adamant she saw no blood on pants or towel. No blood in the shower.

Blanca says cell phone service is poor at Moselle.

Dick Harpootlian is asking Blanca about the conversation with Alex in August about the shirt. Meadors vehemently objects. Jury is excused.

With jury absent, Harpootlian says he simply wants to ask Blanca if Alex told her the day of the August shirt conversation that he'd just been interviewed by SLED.

Blanca acknowledges Alex did NOT tell her that, but Meadors says anything about Murdaugh's statements is self-serving hearsay. Murdaugh is not a party "opponent."

If the Defense wants it on the record for the jury they can put Alex on the stand and let him answer questions himself. Newman puts in the court in recess and tells the State and Defense to argue amongst themselves and figure this out.

Judge Newman is back. State's objection sustained re: Alex's statements to Blanca.

Harpootlian asks Blanca about Buster. She identifies him in the courtroom and says he's a good kid.

Asked about guns. Lots of guns in the house. Paul would leave guns around occasionally on golf carts and in vehicles.

Blanca asked about what size shirt Alex wore. XXL. She says Alex had too many rain jackets to count, but she doesn't recognize the blue one in evidence.

Blanca is confident the shirt Alex is seen wearing in the Snapchat video is not the shirt he was wearing when he left for work in the morning.

Blanca says Alex also kept changes of clothes at his office and at the Edisto Beach house.

Referring to Maggie's text about "Alex is gonna die, hope he doesn't go down there," Blanca says Alex wasn't getting much sleep and was feeling run down and sick. She says Maggie felt the other siblings weren't doing their fair share in taking care of Alex's elderly parents, and it was often falling on Alex's shoulders, all hours of the day and night.

Blanca explains Maggie's primary worry about coming back to Moselle was leaving the house open while work was going on there.

Blanca says SLED didn't ask her until recently about the clothes Alex was wearing on the 7th (day of the murders).

She says SLED also asked her about where she was that day, when she had last seen members of the family, etc.

Maggie told Blanca she was being treated poorly and shunned in the Hampton community as a result of the boat crash that killed Mallory Beach. Blanca also says Maggie told her about Paul receiving threats.

Blanca says she didn't clean up anything in the gun room the morning after the murders. She says she didn't notice empty glasses of bottles of water in the kitchen suggesting a bunch of other people had been there.

Meadors in redirect for the State. Brings up the fact she never saw the shirts Alex was wearing again. There were also a lot of new clothes. Polo type Vineyard Vines shirts, same brand she says Alex tried to tell her he was wearing in the August meeting.

Blanca reiterates how Maggie told her Alex wanted Maggie to come to Moselle the night of the murders.

Harpootlian in re-direct asks if Alex was losing a lot of weight after the murders. She agrees he was. Harpootlian asks if that could explain why he was buying new shirts. She says that's possible.

She testifies Alex had boots he kept by the door that were his go-to shoes when he was messing around outside at Moselle. The soft leather Sperry loafers were his house shoes.

Feb 10, 2023

COLLETON COUNTY, S.C. (WCIV) — Week 3 of the Murdaugh murder trial is expected to wrap up Friday with more focus on Alex's financials and state of mind at the time of the murders.

Mark Tinsley back on the stand this morning.
  • Comment

7 hours ago

• Comment

7 hours ago

• Comment

7 hours ago

• Comment

7 hours ago

• Comment

7 hours ago

• Comment

7 hours ago

• Comment

7 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

Paul: What's us Mrs. B?
  • Comment

6 hours ago

Very emotional moment.

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

John Meadors: You really cared for her, didn't you?
Blanca: I did.
  • Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

• Comment

6 hours ago

Court is in recess.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Back in session. Blanca says she'd seen the t-shirt and shorts before that Alex was wearing when police arrived. Both were clean the last time she saw them. Shirt would've been kept on the shelf in the closet where she found the damp towel and the shirt that appeared to have fallen.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment
  • Comment

5 hours ago

Meadors: After Sept. 4, 2021, did you and your husband quit living at Moselle?
Blanca: We did.
  • Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

• Comment

5 hours ago

First witness: Mark Tinsley returns to the stand​

Second witness: Blanca Turrobiate-Simpson​

Very emotional moment.

Blanca says she'd seen the t-shirt and shorts before that Alex was wearing when police arrived. Both were clean the last time she saw them. Shirt would've been kept on the shelf in the closet where she found the damp towel and the shirt that appeared to have fallen.

Blanca recalls telling law enforcement Maggie was Alex's "all." He "adored her."

Blanca never witnessed serious arguments or fights between Maggie and Alex. Just general couple disagreements. In months before the murders, Maggie just wanted Alex to "sit still and listen to her for 10 minutes" about remodeling at the beach house, paint colors and stuff.

Harpootlian tells Blanca there had been dozens of people, including friends and law partners in the house the night before, which could explain how the food was put in the refrigerator and dishes in the sink.

Blanca says the next day after the murders while she was cleaning, some SLED agents came in and out. They were in the house walking around before she left, before she picked up the khaki pants and towel and washed them.

Blanca says she was still in shock and trying to process what had happened to her friend. Didn't start cleaning immediately. It took her time to process things. She's unsure where SLED was looking and what they might've collected.

Blanca concedes Alex had several pairs of khaki pants similar to the ones he was seen wearing in the Snapchat video.

Blanca is adamant she saw no blood on pants or towel. No blood in the shower.

Blanca says cell phone service is poor at Moselle.

Dick Harpootlian is asking Blanca about the conversation with Alex in August about the shirt. Meadors vehemently objects. Jury is excused.

With jury absent, Harpootlian says he simply wants to ask Blanca if Alex told her the day of the August shirt conversation that he'd just been interviewed by SLED.

Blanca acknowledges Alex did NOT tell her that, but Meadors says anything about Murdaugh's statements is self-serving hearsay. Murdaugh is not a party "opponent."

If the Defense wants it on the record for the jury they can put Alex on the stand and let him answer questions himself. Newman puts in the court in recess and tells the State and Defense to argue amongst themselves and figure this out.

Judge Newman is back. State's objection sustained re: Alex's statements to Blanca.

Harpootlian asks Blanca about Buster. She identifies him in the courtroom and says he's a good kid.

Asked about guns. Lots of guns in the house. Paul would leave guns around occasionally on golf carts and in vehicles.

Blanca asked about what size shirt Alex wore. XXL. She says Alex had too many rain jackets to count, but she doesn't recognize the blue one in evidence.

Blanca is confident the shirt Alex is seen wearing in the Snapchat video is not the shirt he was wearing when he left for work in the morning.

Blanca says Alex also kept changes of clothes at his office and at the Edisto Beach house.

Referring to Maggie's text about "Alex is gonna die, hope he doesn't go down there," Blanca says Alex wasn't getting much sleep and was feeling run down and sick. She says Maggie felt the other siblings weren't doing their fair share in taking care of Alex's elderly parents, and it was often falling on Alex's shoulders, all hours of the day and night.

Blanca explains Maggie's primary worry about coming back to Moselle was leaving the house open while work was going on there.

Blanca says SLED didn't ask her until recently about the clothes Alex was wearing on the 7th (day of the murders).

She says SLED also asked her about where she was that day, when she had last seen members of the family, etc.

Maggie told Blanca she was being treated poorly and shunned in the Hampton community as a result of the boat crash that killed Mallory Beach. Blanca also says Maggie told her about Paul receiving threats.

Blanca says she didn't clean up anything in the gun room the morning after the murders. She says she didn't notice empty glasses of bottles of water in the kitchen suggesting a bunch of other people had been there.

Meadors in redirect for the State. Brings up the fact she never saw the shirts Alex was wearing again. There were also a lot of new clothes. Polo type Vineyard Vines shirts, same brand she says Alex tried to tell her he was wearing in the August meeting.

Blanca reiterates how Maggie told her Alex wanted Maggie to come to Moselle the night of the murders.

Harpootlian in re-direct asks if Alex was losing a lot of weight after the murders. She agrees he was. Harpootlian asks if that could explain why he was buying new shirts. She says that's possible.

She testifies Alex had boots he kept by the door that were his go-to shoes when he was messing around outside at Moselle. The soft leather Sperry loafers were his house shoes.
Continued blog, PM

Next witness: Belinda Rast​

After lunch, the first witness called by the State was Belinda Rast, a certified nursing assistant who worked in home health. Now employed in private home health, working at 1-2 individuals.

She's a provider for Alex's mother, Libby Murdaugh, who has severe late stage Alzheimer's. She's been in that role for 4 years.

Belinda is nervous being here on the stand. She says Libby has become like her family. Libby is bedridden now.

She was not working Sunday, June 6. She had swapped with Mushelle Smith.

First, she recalls she saw Paul a lot. He visited more than all the grandchildren. She didn't see Alex much working overnights. 6-7 times over the years. Sunday night before the murders, Alex and Maggie came later in the night and delivered Krispy Kreme donuts. Mr. Randolph Murdaugh liked donuts, and you couldn't get KK donuts in Hampton at that time.

They didn't wake Randolph up. Alex checked on him but decided to let him sleep. She said Randolph woke up later and they both noted it was strange Alex and Maggie had stopped by that late. She explained they brought him donuts, and Randolph had a few bites.

Defense in cross exam just clarifies Belinda saying it was unusual for Alex to show up at that time.

By the time of the murders, Libby wasn't mentally present any more. Didn't often recognize her children. Paul seemed to cheer her up.

Next witness: Matthew Wilde​

Now on the stand, Matthew Wilde, supervisory special agent for the FBI based out of Rock Hill. His division specializes phone records to determine location data. They cross analyze traditional phone records with cell tower records. Phone location can be plotted this way and shown on a map.

Wilde has been qualified as an expert witness in historical cell phone location analysis.

In 2021, Wilde was contacted for assistance on Murdaugh case by Dylan Hightower, an investigator and cell phone location data specialist for the 14th Circuit Solicitor's Office who previously testified.

In August 2021, the FBI and Hightower used specialized mobile phone tower mapping technology and drove around the area of Moselle to get a detailed map they could use to cross reference locations of calls placed by four phones around the time of the murders.

Correction, five phones. The five phones were Alex, Paul, Maggie, Marty Cook and CB Rowe.

Call detail records were obtained by the cell service provider. Through that, he's able to get general location. Then they used the list of towers that were in service around the area at the time to cross reference.

Wilde explains call detail records tell him tower number and sector. Then they can determine which direction the call came from. After that, they use signal strength / speed (frequency) to determine how far away from the tower the phone was.

Now reviewing Paul's phone activity from the afternoon of June 7. Signals are being recorded on towers around the area of Okatie where he was working at his uncle John Marvin's that day.

Towers will be closely clustered in urban and suburban areas, farther apart in rural areas.

Paul's phone begins traveling north around 6:17 p.m., going up through Yemassee toward Hampton and then finally ending in Moselle around 7:30 p.m.

Based on the data from Paul's phone, you can see it moving around the Murdaugh property in Moselle .. accurate down to about 20 yards. By a little after 8 p.m. the phone is at the house, then it's back at the kennels at around 8:38 p.m. 8:44 p.m., signal hit associated with media (video). Nothing to suggest it moved away from the kennels after 8:44 p.m.

Now reviewing Maggie Murdaugh's phone tower location hits.

Time period is 4:25-7:05 p.m. - Maggie's phone is in the West Ashley area of Charleston, the western part of the city. After 7:05 p.m., the phone starts traveling west. Around 7:50 p.m., the phone was right in the middle of Walterboro where trial is being held.

No records for Maggie's phone after 7:50 p.m., meaning no apparent calls or texts outgoing after that time.

Now reviewing Alex Murdaugh's phone, 4:10 p.m. - 6:25 p.m. Several hits in the area of the PMPED law offices at that time.

A number of calls are placed between 6:40 and 9:10 p.m. showing Alex in the Moselle area.

9:12-9:18 p.m., he's somewhere south of Moselle, then traveling closer to Varnville and Almeda. Getting some overlap from multiple towers.

9:20-9:46 - several calls in the area of Almeda southeast of Varnville. 9:52 p.m. Phone is closer to Varnville. 10:06 p.m., time of 911 call, the phone pings off the Varnville tower, but using a low frequency signal, meaning it was far away. Very likely due to overlap, the phone was at Moselle during this call, Wilde says.

• June 7, 10:19-11:18 p.m., Alex's phone mostly pings off tower near Moselle.
  • June 8, 6:31-8:54 a.m., phone using tower near Almeda.
  • June 9, 7:52-8:36 a.m., phone using tower near Almeda
  • June 10, 3:32-8:49 a.m., phone using tower near Almeda
  • June 11, 352-815, Almeda
  • June 12, 121-814, Almeda
  • June 13, 9:09, Almeda
  • June 14, 12:04-9:55, Almeda
  • June 14, 1027-1229 Varnville/Hampton
  • June 14, 4:33-8:06 p.m., south of Almeda toward Charleston, eventually to Summerville
  • June 15, 810a-1140a Summerville back to Hampton, Varnville. Using that tower near Almeda most of day after.
Marty Cook and CB Rowe's phones showed they weren't in the area at the time of the murders.

Back from recess. Phil Barber questioning FBI Agent Wilde for Defense.

------

Phil Barber asks about others whose phones location records were analyzed, Eddie Smith and Spencer Roberts. We know from pretrial much of Alex Murdaugh's stolen money was going to Eddie Smith and downstream to Spencer Roberts as part of an alleged drug trafficking and money laundering scheme. Both Smith and Roberts are under indictment for those allegation.

Wilde says he did analyze phone records for Eddie Smith, but didn't have those records here with him today. Barber has no further questions.

In brief redirect for the state, Wilde notes there were no phone calls answered on Maggie's phone after 7:50 p.m., thus no data to track. Unable to reliably determine when or if Maggie's phone moved later in the evening.

Next witness: Nathan Tuten

Now on the stand, Nathan Tuten, current Walterboro Police Dept. officer. Lifelong friend of Paul Murdaugh. Call's Paul salt of the earth, very reliable friend. Says Maggie was one of the sweetest ladies he ever met in his life. Considered her his second mother. Knew Alex as well.

Tuten says Paul was on his phone a lot.

Tuten lived with Paul in a cabin on the Moselle property for a few months after high school. Paul didn't come home much after they both entered college.

He and Paul hunted a lot together. Familiar with Paul's guns -- AR15 .300BLK rifle with thermal scope and camo Benelli Super Black Eagle III 12 gauge shotgun. Says he's used both guns. He's identifying the guns now for the jury.

Nolan Tuten recalls how Paul's tan AR15 was stolen out of Paul's truck at a party in 2018.

Nathan Tuten is shown Paul's video from the dog kennels at 8:44 p.m. on June 7. He identifies Maggie, Paul and Alex's voice. He shares as Blanca did earlier how Bubba was hardheaded, and would chase chickens and killed chickens before. If he doesn't want to be caught, you're not catching him.

Tuten was a courier and runner for Murdaugh's former law firm 2019-2022.

Weekend ahead of June 7, 2021, Paul called him and they had a normal conversation. Paul was going to Charleston. That was the last time they spoke. He got a phone call the night of the murders from his mother, and later one of the law partners. He was with another friend at the time. He didn't go to Moselle that night, but did go out there afterward around the time of the funerals. Hasn't been back since. It was hard. He says he lost a really good friend and good person.

Tuten notes how he worked for Murdaugh. Tuten would cash checks for Murdaugh very frequently ("many times") at Palmetto State Bank. Often people were often in his office when Alex was sending Nathan out to get cash. Greg Alexander (Yemassee Police Chief) was there at times, Cory Fleming and Chris Wilson were there too. He'd been doing this a lot, then suddenly a few weeks before the murders, Alex doesn't ask him to cash any more checks.

Tuten notes while still working for the law firm after the events of June 7, Jeanne Seckinger (his immediate supervisor) in the law office assigned him to start assisting her in a financial impropriety investigation within the firm, pulling records and copies of cleared checks from different cases in probate court. If he found discrepancies, bring it to her. He somewhat understood what he was looking for, and the reason he was looking after a short amount of time.

July 4 timeframe, Nathan Tuten drove Alex to the airport so he could go on vacation to the Florida Keys with Maggie's family. On the drive, Tuten notes how Alex talked to him about it being very important to Alex to beat the boat case and clear Paul's name -- even with Paul already gone.

Tuten agrees with Jim Griffin for defense (now in cross exam) that a lot of people turned their back on Paul and the Murdaughs after the boat wreck. He didn't though. He can't speak to what Alex was thinking, but it appeared to him it was indeed important to Alex to clear Paul's name.

Tuten notes Paul regularly kept guns in his truck. The original .300BLK rifle that was stolen was taken from Paul's unlocked truck during a party, Paul didn't realize it was missing for several days.

Tuten says Paul would often take guns out of his truck when he'd clean his truck, and would take guns inside the shed area, and leave them there. Tuten says he would agree Paul was careless with guns.

Paul received threats after the boating accident, but Tuten says Paul didn't go into much detail. Mostly stuff on social media and in texts. Their circle of friends got tighter afterward, and Paul didn't hang out around Hampton much anymore.

In redirect, Tuten says he wasn't aware that Maggie had received threats. Tuten notes that there were sufficient lights out at the kennels to be able to see at night if anyone was down there. Tuten finally notes Paul kept his phone in his back pocket generally while working out at the farm.

Court is adjourned until Monday.

Scheduling notes: No court likely on Presidents Day (Feb. 20), court adjourning at 4:30 p.m. Thursday next week. State still on track to conclude by Wednesday of next week.

2/13/23

Monday​

Judge Newman announces two jurors have been excused due to COVID-19.

Both Dick Harpootlian and Creighton Waters are expressing worries about potential delay if more jurors test positive, or worst case scenario, a mistrial should an outbreak sweep through the jury pool.

Waters and Harpootlian both float the idea of delaying trial until everyone can be tested (they were tested this morning) and retested until all can be shown negative due to potential delayed symptoms.

Judge Newman says he's not interested in delaying the trial. This is why they selected so many alternates. Attrition is a natural par of the trial.

Two alternates have been seated in the main jury of 12. Now down to three alternates after a juror had to be excused due to a medical emergency last week. They started with six.

Harpootlian and Waters both say they would not object to Judge Newman issuing a mask requirement. Waters also says he'd like to see social distancing and limit the number of people who can attend court. Judge Newman won't issue any social distancing rules. For the time being, he's encouraging everyone to mask up in the courtroom.

Big update: Waters says General Motors suddenly Friday afternoon contacted the State saying they've been able to somehow now recover OnStar location and vehicle speed data from Alex Murdaugh's Chevy Suburban. Waters says they subpoenaed this data from GM back in March 2022, and says GM told them the data didn't exist.

Waters says the State and Defense are both in receipt of the OnStar data from GM. Both the State and Defense want the data admitted and both feel it's important to their case. Harpootlian wants additional time for their experts to review the data before it's introduced.

Judge Newman says they'll address the issue of a timeline witness and the new data when it arises, but for the time being says for Waters to proceed with his planned witnesses. Waters thinks it could be late Tuesday or Wednesday before they have someone in to go over it.

Judge Newman notes many on the jury are wearing masks already.

First witness: Ryan Kelly​

First on the stand, Ryan Kelly, SLED Sr. Special Agent. He's being called for "limited purposes" this morning, according to state prosecutor Savanna Goude.

Kelly is affirming DNA samples from several people he collected related to his investigation into the Murdaugh case:

• Phillip, Renee, Robin Beach
  • John Marvin
  • Ronald Freeman
  • Michael List
  • Matthew Luce (unsure of spelling)
  • Curtis Smith
All the DNA swabs have been admitted into evidence. No more questions for Agent Kelly at this time.

Next witness: Rachel Nguyen

Now on the stand, Rachel Nguyen, DNA forensic analyst at SLED. She can also do body fluid identification and retrieval for evidence.

Nguyen has been qualified as an expert witness.

Nguyen examined samples from Paul and Maggie Murdaugh.

Nguyen examined .300BLK shell casings for "touch DNA" from Maggie and Paul Murdaugh. Nguyen also prepared fired shotgun shells for analysis.

Nguyen prepared swabs for analysis taken from the doorknob of the feed room door.

Nguyen says she tested swabs of potential blood taken from the 12 gauge shotgun Alex Murdaugh had with him the night of the murders, which he claimed he went to get from the house while on the phone with 911 because he said the killers might still be around.

Nguyen notes that of the two swabs of potential blood taken from the shotgun, the swab close to the receiver tested presumptive for blood. The other one from the muzzle did not test positive.

Two other swabs of "reddish brown debris" on the receiver of the shotgun were also tested, and both were presumptive positive for blood as well.

Nguyen says several swabs were taken from Alex's Chevy Suburban and some had been found presumptive positive for blood by crime scene agents. After her confirmatory testing, swabs from the steering weel were positive for blood. The steering wheel swabs were sent to the DNA lab for further analysis, as with the swabs from the gun.

Fingernail clippings of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh were reviewed, processed initially by Nguyen, and sent to the DNA lab for further analysis.

White T-shirt of Alex Murdaugh submitted to the lab for blood testing. Nguyen says she tested two potential stains on the short bird for possible blood. One stain on the front bottom of the shirt was presumptive positive for blood, so she cut the one stain off the shirt and sent the fabric for further DNA analysis.

A second stain on the shirt presumptive positive for blood was not cut out until later.

After she removed the second stain and sent it for further analysis, SLED crime scene agents tested the remainder of the shirt using LCV presumptive blood test spray, which revealed 10 additional possible blood stains. All were clipped from the shirt and sent for further analysis.

Several stains from Alex's shorts were examined, and two potential blood tests were identified, snipped, and sent for testing.

Six additional stains potential for blood were found when agents used the LCV spray. Removed and sent for additional testing.

Now moving onto Alex's tennis shoes. Two possible blood stains were found, one from shoelace was sent for further analysis.

Now the blue raincoat. Nguyen tested 71 stains for possible blood, and crime scene agents came behind with LCV test. No presumptive positives for blood anywhere on the coat.

The coat was also tested for DNA to help determine primary wearer of the coat. No hair found. Plastic seam liner was coming off throughout the item, she noted.

Nguyen says when the cartridge casings were soaked in the solution to test for DNA, they were all 6 soaked in the solution at the same time.

Nguyen clarifies the second sets of presumptive positive blood stains from the shotgun mentioned earlier were from a separate shotgun taken from the Murdaugh's, not the one Alex had with him when police arrived.

Nguyen confirms there are several things that can trigger false positives for blood samples using the methods SLED has available.

Nguyen wasn't tasked with testing Maggie and Paul's clothing.

Nguyen says she is aware there were additional hemotrace tests on Alex's shirt, shorts and shoes, but says she didn't perform those tests personally.

Nguyen notes the swabs from Alex's SUV steering weren't the only vehicle tests she examined. She also examined swabs from a Ford F-250 (Paul's truck). All samples from the F-250 were negative.

Nguyen says she was not informed why other crime scene agents and performed the LCV tests on the shirt after she had already done her initial testing.

No further questions from state or defense. Nguyen is excused.

Worth noting that the Defense in pretrial motions to exclude the blood testing of Alex's T-shirt said SLED's LCV testing of the shirt basically ruined it and prevented further testing. And Nguyen testified she doesn't know why other agents came behind her and retested the shirt with LCV.

Nguyen noted also the tests she uses for blood (pheno tests) -- copper and nickel salts, rust, plants (broccoli, cauliflower, horseradish), pus and bacteria.

Next witness: Sarah Zapata​

Next on the stand is SLED Forensic DNA analyst Sarah Zapata.

DNA contained in bodily fluids, and can be left behind by simply touching things.

Zapata is able to use samples and technology to create DNA "profiles" from what's collected at crime scenes and direct samples from a person (such as in a mouth swab). DNA is said to have "contributed to the mixture" from what's found in the sample, what's found at the crime scene, and is then compared against an unrelated third party.

Zapata is using the analogy of a see-saw to explain DNA test results. The see-saw may tilt strongly in the direction of one individual (meaning they contributed to the mixture) vs. the other. If the see-saw doesn't tilt to one side, the result isn't very strong.

Sometimes voluntary samples from a person are used to compare directly against evidence samples for that same person to demonstrate their DNA matching strongly. This is another scenario where the see-saw doesn't tilt.

Zapata uses the "grandma's cookie recipe" to show how matching DNA is compared. If the computer tool used to process the DNA spits out very similar recipes, the DNA can be assumed to match for contributions.

Zapata now preparing to review the DNA swabs she analyzed as part of the Murdaugh investigation.

First swab: Nolan Tuten (friend of Paul Murdaugh, brother of Nathan Tuten who testified Friday).

Next: DNA samples from .300BLK shell casings and swabs from shotgun shells. The DNA profile on the .300BLK casings was 510 billion times more likely to be from Maggie Murdaugh than an unknown person.

For the shotgun shells found in the feed room, DNA swabs were 15 octillion times more likely to be from Paul Murdaugh than an unknown person. Zapata says both the results for Maggie and Paul can be considered "single source" contributions to the DNA mixture, meaning it's very unlikely other DNA was present.

Now from the doorknob in the feed room: DNA sample is 15 octillion times more likely to be from Paul Murdaugh than a stranger.

Now onto the suspected blood samples from the shotgun Murdaugh had with him the night of the murders. The blood sample was found to be a mixture. 670 octillion times more likely the blood was from Maggie and an unknown second person, 210 quintillion times more likely it was Alex and an unknown third person.

Result was 48 quindecillion 48 followed by 48 zeros) times more likely Alex and Maggie contributed to the blood than 2 unknown strangers. Meaning, it was a near certainty their DNA profiles were in the blood on the gun.

The second swab from Alex's shotgun was not suitable for developing a DNA profile.

Now onto the second shotgun from the house that was tested. Both blood samples showed a mixture of DNA profiles, with incredibly strong certainty (hundreds of octillions of times more likely) for Maggie Murdaugh being a contributor to the mixture than a stranger.

Blood samples from Chevy Suburban steering wheel. Mixture from two individuals. Only 35 times more likely for it to be Maggie and another person than two strangers, but 100 quadrillions times more likely it was Alex and another person than strangers, 240 quintillion times more likely that it was both Maggie and Alex being the contributors than strangers. The first test (Maggie 35 times more likely) is not considered a strong result.

Left hand fingernail clippings from Maggie Murdaugh: Mixture identified. Paul and Buster were easily excluded, as was Alex (plus several others).

First scenario for mixture: Maggie and Claude (CB) Rowe. Rowe was included for testing because his alleles profile couldn't be visually excluded. Based on further testing, it was found 11 times more likely CB Rowe was the second contributor to the mixture than a stranger. Again, 11 times is moderate likelihood, per Zapata. It was a very low level of unidentified DNA found in the mixture (only three alleles). Possible any given person in the courtroom could have a similar DNA allele profile.

Fingernail clippings on right hand: Only Maggie's DNA present.

Paul Murdaugh's fingernail clippings: Paul's DNA.

Alex Murdaugh's shirt:

• Stain one: Two contributors 360 quadrillion times more likely Alex and Maggie contributed to mixture than unidentified strangers. 7 octillion times more likely it's Paul and Alex than strangers.
  • Stain two: Two contributors. 3,800 times more likely it's Maggie and Alex's DNA than strangers.
  • Stain three: Three contributors. 570 octillion times more likely it's Alex and Maggie and an unknown third person than Alex and two strangers.
  • Stain four: Four contributors. 1.9 quadrillion times more likely it's Alex and Maggie and two strangers than Alex and three strangers. 480 septillion times more likely it's Nolan Tuten, Alex Murdaugh and two unknowns than Alex and three unknowns. 480 duodecillion times more likely it's Alex, Maggie and Nolan Tuten than other scenarios.
  • Stain five: Three contributors. 590 million times more likely it's Alex and Maggie's DNA plus unknown than Alex and three unknowns.
  • Stain six: No results suitable for testing.
  • Stain seven: Three contributors. 430 octillion times more likely it's Alex, Maggie and a third person than Alex and two unknown persons.
  • Stain eight: Two contributors. 10 times more likely it's Alex and Hippolito Torres than Alex and a stranger. Weak support for it actually being Hippolito, same as it was with CB Rowe under Maggie's fingernails.
Zapata couldn't visually exclude Hippolito Torres' allele profile, but again, weak support for him being a contributor at only 10 times more likely.

• Stain nine: Two contributors. 1.3 nonillion times more likely it's Alex and Maggie than unknown second contributor.
  • Stain 10: Three contributors. 1.5 sextillion times more likely it's Alex and Maggie and an unknown third contributor than Alex and two unknowns. 24 quintillion times more likely it's Paul Murdaugh and two unknowns than three unknowns. Only 29 times more likely it's Alex and two unknowns than three unknowns.
  • Stain 10 continued: 260 quindecillion times more likley it's all three (Maggie, Paul and Alex) than three strangers. Zapata notes again Maggie and Paul's results were stronger individually than Alex's.
HemaTrace blood tests on all the shirt cuttings were all negative for blood. Zapata says HemaTrace is weaker but more exact than LCV, while LCV is stronger but less exact. Zapata notes some studies show LCV can dilute or taint items such that HemaTrace cannot detect usable results.

Alex Murdaugh's shorts: Alex's, Maggie's and Paul's DNA all found on the shorts.

Suspected blood on Alex's shoelace. Most likely Alex's DNA.

Raincoat: Swabs from cuffs, neck, hood, and zipper. No DNA profile. Pockets: Unable to determine.

Court is resuming now after lunch. Creighton Waters for the State says an upcoming witness for the state will be a forensic pathologist who will discuss autopsies for Maggie and Paul Murdaugh. There extraordinarily graphic autopsy photos will be shown in court under seal.

Phil Barber now beginning cross examination of SLED agent Zapata.

Barber asks Zapata to clarify there was foreign male DNA found under Maggie's left hand fingernails.

Zapata says the DNA from under Maggie's fingernails was not compared against male members of the Murdaugh family because their familiar connection means they all would've had the same Y chromosome and many similar alleles, making it hard to differentiate between them all.

Barber establishes Maggie had been to the nail salon the day ahead of coming to Moselle. Barber tries to suggest any DNA under her nails prior to the appointment would've been gone, and there wouldn't have been much opportunity after that nail appointment for her to pick up someone else's DNA under her hands. Zapata explains Maggie could've picked up foreign male DNA at the salon or simply by touching something. She notes it was also a very small sample. Doesn't really support Barber's framing.

Zapata says the unknown male DNA from under Maggie's fingernails wasn't submitted to CODIS (FBI DNA database) for cross referencing because with only 3 alleles, there wasn't enough data to draw a comparison.

Zapata agrees it's possible Maggie's DNA and blood could've wound up on Alex's steering wheel and the shotguns because Alex touched them. Defense's insinuation is Alex touched their bodies checking them for pulse, and touched the guns and steering wheel afterward.

Only part of Alex's shirt where Paul's DNA was found is in one area at the bottom front of the shirt.

Backing up a minute, Zapata said other places on Maggie and Paul's bodies weren't tested for DNA after the murders. She explained the volume of blood and other bodily fluids in cases like this can often saturate the bodies.

Using a visual aid, Barber has Zapata confirm SLED was "0 for 74" on finding blood on Alex's clothes. She agrees all the tests were negative for blood.

Zapata confirms she was informed in August Alex's shirt was being sent for blood spatter analysis. She doesn't know how that came to be, but she does recall hearing about it.

Zapata issued her report including HemaTrace results in November 2021. She doesn't recall discussing those results with anyone besides the person who reviewed her report. For the blue raincoat, she spoked to Lt. Charles Ghent with SLED to give him the preliminary DNA profile findings from the jacket.

Barber moves ahead to March 2022: State receives results of its high velocity impact spatter (blood spatter) test on Alex's shirt. She says she wasn't aware of the details or timeline of its receipt.

April 2021, meeting called by the AG to discuss case evidence. Barber asks Zapata if she recalls any mention of blood spatter in that meeting. She doesn't recall. Does she recall media reports about it days after the fact? She tried to avoid media.

Zapata says she was asked about her HemaTrace results showing no blood at some point during a meeting about the results of her reports. She says there were several meetings like that with her. Zapata consults her notes. She says that meeting happened in April. She says people were called individually to that April meeting, and doesn't know if blood spatter was discussed outside her presence.

Defense introduces memo Creighton Waters had Zapata write attempting to explain why the blood testing was negative. She can't say if Waters asked her for the memo because of the high velocity impact blood spatter report by Tom Bevel. She says she was aware there was a report, but she and Waters didn't discuss its results. She was simply asked to discuss HemaTrace.

Zapata says she was also made aware of a report by Tom Bevel regarding the efficacy of LCV and HemaTrace testing on the same objects.

Zapata says there's a report out of Australia she included in her report to Waters showing that blood was accurately found 33 of 38 times in HemaTrace testing after LCV testing. That's 84 % of the time. Barber notes again that Zapata's testing was 0 for 74.

Barber: Is it fair to say there's no human blood on the t-shirt?
Zapata: The test that I performed was negative for the presence of human blood.
Barber says Murdaugh wore this shirt while fishing. Suggests the blood spray / spatter on the shirt could've come from gaffing fish (clubbing large fish with a sharp hook on the end of a stick in order to securely pull the fish up from the water). Zapata says she has no idea about gaffing and blood spray, but says most animal blood except ferrets and great apes would not show up on the shirt using HemaTrace.

Barber asks Zapata if there was ever a discussion in her presence about a "blue buttondown shirt." She doesn't recall any discussion of that.

Savanna Goude in redirect for the state. Zapata says DNA can be swapped from a simple handshake. Zapata also adds re: not testing Maggie and Paul's clothing, she doesn't test items she isn't asked to test, and she wasn't asked.

Barber in brief cross asks Zapata if it would be uncommon for a wife's touch DNA to be on a husband's shirt. She says it would not.

Next witness: Ellen Riemer​

Back from break. Now on the witness stand, Dr. Ellen Riemer, medical examiner.

Board certified in forensic pathology. Former pathologist at Wake Forest, but Medical University of South Carolina for last 14 years. She's a professor at MUSC in addition to being a forensic pathologist.

Estimates 5,500 autopsies in her career.

Dr. Riemer has been qualified as an expert witness in forensic pathology around 250 times in SC & NC, tribal lands.

Reamer now established as an expert witness in this case.

Riemer is demonstrating Paul Murdaugh's shotgun blast wounds for the jury. Starting with wound to the front left of his chest, armpit, back and left arm. She notes the "stippling" on Paul Murdaugh's skin from the burning gunpowder. She says this indicates the shot was fired from within 3 feet. Riemer says the shotgun pellets didn't enter Paul's chest cavity and didn't hit any vital organs He would've most likely survived the first shot and wouldn't have even been knocked off his feet.

Riemer says Paul's arm injuries from the first shotgun blast indicate his hands were down, not up.

Riemer discussing second shotgun wound to Paul. Pellets went into and across the top of his left shoulder, into the left side of his face and neck, then trough his brain and skull and out the upper right side of his head. His brain was detached and was expelled from his skull. It actually arrived separately in a bucket for the autopsy. The entry location of the shotgun blast in his face and neck suggests he was facing the shooter on his left when the shot was fired.

Riemer says the second shot to Paul was immediately fatal, and he had abrasions on his face indicating he fell to the ground unprotected (without bracing or protecting his face).

Riemer says there's no evidence of defensive wounds on Paul Murdaugh.

Paul's toxicology report shows he only had caffeine in his system at the time of his death, no alcohol or drugs.

Riemer says Maggie suffered five gunshot wounds, either from four shots with five wounds, or five shots with five wounds.

Riemer: Maggie's injuries were consistent with an assault rifle. She's now trying to explain the likely order of her 5 wounds. First shot was front to back, downward trajectory, entered somewhere around her right breast, into her intestines, through her pancreas and left kidney, out the left side of her back about 10 inches below where it entered.

Second wound: Front to back, right to left, downward. Parallel to first shot. Entered upper front of left thigh, exited lower rear of left thigh.

Both of Maggie's frontal, parallel gunshot wounds were accompanied by gunpowder stippling burns, again indicating the shot was fired within about 3-feet.

Gunshot wound 3: In upper left wrist (top, hairy area), out of left wrist (underneath, smooth area).

Gunshot 4: Scraped along left abdoment, went into her left breast from underneath, exited breast and went into her head from under the jaw. Destroyed her brain, was immediately fatal.

Gunshot 5: Downward direction entering top rear of head, exiting rear bottom of skull through brain stem and cerebellum, bullet fragments marring her upper back.

Riemer says due to the pain of the first shot in her kidney, Maggie was likely bent over at the waist or down on all fours when the 4th shot entered her body, scraping along her abdomen and into her breast from behind, then out of her breast and into her head.

Riemer opines the last shot to the back of Maggie's head likely occurred with Maggie lying face down on the ground.

As for the wrist wound, it could've occurred as a separate individual wound, or it could've occurred with the next to last shot from behind that went up through her breast and into the jaw and head. Possible if Maggie's arms were folded across her abdomen where she was hunched over from the pain of the first shot.

Riemer says the stippling from the wound to Maggie's thigh was tighter in circumference than the one to her chest, indicating the gun barrel was closer to her for the second shot.

Reimer is confident the next-to-last and final shots came from different directions. She says the amount of blood in Maggie's abdomen hadn't yet produced a significant amount of blood (although it was everywhere in her abdomen from the damage), indicating the first shot and last shot didn't occur very far in time away from one another.

Reimer is confident the next-to-last and final shots came from different directions. She says the amount of blood in Maggie's abdomen hadn't yet produced a significant amount of blood (although it was everywhere in her abdomen from the damage), indicating the first shot and last shot didn't occur very far in time away from one another.

Court is in recess until 9:30 Monday [Tuesday] morning. Creighton Waters notes re: General Motors location data from Alex's SUV mentioned this morning, he has a GM custodian coming and it shouldn't be long testimony. He still expects to be done by Wednesday.

One quick note from right at the end of the State's direct examination of Dr. Riemer: Maggie Murdaugh's toxicology report indicated only caffeine in her system, no drugs or alcohol.

Both Paul and Maggie's causes of death were gunshot wounds, manner of death was homicide.

Court adjourned around 5 p.m. The defense will begin Tuesday with cross-examination.

2/13/23

Presumptive-positive blood on Murdaugh’s clothes initially seemed to favor the prosecution but turned toward the defense when a confirmatory test revealed that all spots tested came back negative for human blood.

State prosecutors also highlighted that several DNA profiles — including those matching Maggie and Paul — were found on Murdaugh’s shirt. The defense dismissed that theory, pointing out it is common for a wife’s DNA to be found on her husband’s clothes. They also emphasized that evidence of DNA belonging to an unknown male was found under Maggie’s nails. That DNA was determined to not belong to Paul or Alex Murdaugh.

[..]

Dr. Ellen Riemer, the forensic pathologist who conducted Maggie and Paul’s autopsies, countered that narrative, saying she saw no evidence of defensive wounds on either Maggie or Paul.

LIVESTREAM: Murdaugh Murder Trial - Feb. 14 -- DAY 17, AM testimony

First Witness: Ellen Reimer returns to the stand​

Court is resuming with cross-examination of Dr. Ellen Riemer, forensic pathologist who conducted autopsies for Maggie and Paul Murdaugh.

Defense attorney Dick Harpootlian asking Riemer about a possible bruise on Maggie's left calf. She says she was not asked about the mark, and if it could've been a bruise, or mud from someone stepping on the back of her calf. No opinion, no analysis, didn't examine.

Riemer says based on her autopsy, it's reasonable Maggie Murdaugh was moving during the shooting. Shooter could've been moving, too.

Riemer reiterates that based on what's known about the stippling (powder burns and abrasions), the gun barrel was no more than about 3 feet away from Maggie on on the first two shots.

Riemer says she had no occasion to examine anything from the scene such as the pattern of the ejected shells, a direct response to Dick Harpootlian's question.

Riemer reiterates Paul's arms were likely down for first shot. Riemer says based on bloody footprints, it's possible Paul had already started bleeding and was stepping in his own blood after the first shot.

Harpootlian having Riemer use his co-counsel Phil Barber as a living test dummy to demonstrate Paul Murdaugh's wounds.

Harpootlian says the feed room where Paul Murdaugh was shot was narrow, buckshot went through back window, no stippling. Riemer agrees that's consistent with the shot coming from the front of room, several feet away.

Riemer explaining again how she came to her conclusion the second fatal shot to Paul Murdaugh came from his left with Paul's face and head pointed in the same general leftward direction.

Harpootlian is trying to demonstrate the second shot to Paul could've been coming from an upward angle. Riemer says she's confident the shot was at a flatter angle than Dick is trying to suggest. The issue Dick is trying to make is how could the shotgun pellets gone out the top and back of Paul's head unless the shot was going at an upward angle.

Harpootlian has entered into evidence an excerpt from a book about gunshot wounds.

Dick is asking whether or not the concussion of the gas pressure expulsion from a shotgun blast is also a contributing factor to catastrophic wounds similar to Paul's (skull shattering, brain blown out). Reimer agrees, but she points out the scientist who conducted the test in reference to Dick's question was specifically looking at "contact" gunshot wounds, which would likely mean self-inflicted, suicide.

The point Dick is trying to make is the amount and type of destruction to Paul's head could've been caused by similar mechanisms if the shot was at extreme close range. Riemer says she can't say yes or no to the gas percussion and pressure in the skull being a contributing factor, but says shotgun blasts carry such immense energy that it's common to see severe destruction of bone and tissues at close range, even if it's not a "contact" wound.

Harpootlian trying to make the case that Paul could've been shot a third time, a second shot from the left entering the top of should and neck, and a third shot to the top of the head in direct contact shooting back the opposite direction. Riemer doesn't agree. Says if there had been a third shot directly to the back of the head, Paul's brain would've been destroyed, not basically intact the way it was found outside the body.

Riemer reviewing crime scene photo of Paul showing a semi-circular hole in his skull, which Dick is again suggesting could've been an entrance wound. She says it doesn't show any soot or stippling. If there had been she would've documented, it, and because there wasn't, she didn't.

Dick is trying to make the case Riemer didn't examine the wound to the back of Paul's head to rule out it being a third shot in direct contact with the back of the head. Riemer says not only would there have been soot and stippling and the brain destroyed, there also would have been significant skull fractures and other damage as well.

Coming full circle now, Riemer says the gas expulsion from the gunshot would've contributed to the damage Paul suffered, but there's not evidence there was a third shot to the back of his head.

Harpootlian tried very hard to make the point that Riemer's determinations were questionable, but she seemed to have an answer for each hypothetical he presented her. He finally gets her to agree a reasonable person might disagree with her findings. She says yes.

Waters in redirect for the State. Riemer says there's a difference between gunpowder stippling and soot deposition associated with gunshot wounds. Stippling is actual unburnt powder causing abrasions to the skin and sticking to the skin. Soot is burn marks from burning gunpowder, and would only be found within a few inches from the end of the gun barrel. No soot was found on Paul's wounds, only stippling.

Waters has Riemer say nobody told her what to conclude with her findings, her conclusions came from her 5,500 plus autopsies and 20+ years of experience, her educational background, etc. Her findings can't be considered 100% impregnable but are accurate to a reasonable degree of medical certainty.

Riemer reiterates her conclusions for the jury. No evidence Paul was shot a third time from the top of the head or that his wounds were consistent with suicide.

Harpootlian in brief redirect. Asks if Riemer ever reviews crime scene photos in the general course of her autopsies. She is adamant she doesn't. Sometimes she'll ask investigators about circumstances of the death to make sense of things, but her job is to examine the bodies and make her conclusions based on what the bodies tell her. She doesn't need to look at outside photos.

Harpootlian asks Riemer again about the potential muddy footprint on the back of Maggie's leg. She's clear again she didn't observe anything like that at the autopsy. It's entirely possible it was dirt from a shoe that was gone by the time it got to her. She didn't see it. Harpootlian tries to question further about facts of a meeting she had with South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) agent Dave Owen and the footprint. Waters objects, saying the questioning is beyond the scope of previous questioning or testimony. Objection sustained.

Harpootlian ends by asking Riemer if she agrees an opinion is just an opinion. She does. She's off the stand.

Next witness: Devon Newell​

Next on the stand, Devon Newell from General Motors. He's privy to records kept on servers related to vehicle performance. Through telematics units, modern GM vehicles upload data to GM's servers. Sent by Wi-Fi or cell phone signal.

Newell says he's aware GM received a subpoena for a search warrant from SLED in March 2022. Says he became aware Friday evening last week of data GM had that wasn't previously available at the time of the March 2022 subpoena.

The timing is conspicuous because it immediately followed an FBI agent testifying about how unhelpful GM and other car companies generally are on these investigations.

Newell testifies data salvaged includes vehicle diagnostics, battery systems, speed information and GPS location info. The disc containing all that data has been entered into evidence. No questions right now from John Conrad with the state. Phil Barber with the Defense now cross examining.

Phil Barber asks if Newell if he's aware of the FBI's efforts to reverse engineer the infotainment system to harvest data. Newell is aware it happened but is not privy to details of what the FBI found.

Newell is off the stand. No further questions.

Next witness: Roger Dale Davis​

Next witness called, Roger Dale Davis, the dog caretaker at the Murdaughs' property at the time of the murders.

Davis born and raised in Hampton. Construction worker all his life. He was the caretaker for the dogs at Murdaugh's property. Cleaned kennels twice a day for the last four years. Fed and watered the dogs at 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. each day.

Davis explains he would take the dog beds off the ground and store them on top of the dog houses while cleaning the kennels. He would put the beds back on the ground late in the afternoon in the summertime.

Davis says Maggie was laid back, easy to talk to, loved the dogs.

Davis says Paul was a hard worker, wild but would work. Would do anything his Dad asked, working on the tractors or working on the farm.

Davis says Alex is very particular. Wanted things done a certain way. Alex was also busy and hard to get ahold of.

Paul would typically drive his Ford F-150 to the kennels, unless he was working on something and he would take the F-250. Maggie would take the Range Rover or later her Mercedes to the kennels.

Davis says all the dogs stayed in the kennel most nights. Maggie would come down to the kennels late in the afternoons to let the dogs out to run and play, sometimes take them up to the house, but would bring them back later in the evening. If she was taking the dogs somewhere, she'd load them into her vehicle.

Davis reviewing photos and diagrams of the dog kennels.

First, Davis recalling hosing the kennels down. After he was done, he'd stretch the hose out going back toward the feed room. Cut the valve off at the top of the spigot, open the valve at the end of the hose, then slowly roll it up to get the pressure and water out of it to prevent kinks and breakage of the hose.

Looking at photo of crime scene, Davis says the hose as it's seen the night of the murders is not how he wound it. Somebody used the hose after he did. There's pressure on the hose, it's twisted, and the nozzle of the hose is not how he leaves it.

Davis found out about the murders the next morning. Came to the kennels to talk to SLED. Fed the dogs. He'd worked every day leading up to that day, did his normal routine, including the day of the murders.

Fed the dogs, fed the chickens, cleaned the kennels. Did it morning and afternoon on the day of the murders. Noticed nothing out of place that afternoon. Fed Grady, Bubba and Maggie the labs (pets), gave them fresh water and cleaned the pens. Left at 4:30.

When he left, Grady was in the first kennel, Bubba in the second, and Maggie in the third. Kennel 4 open. Kennel 5 was Rogan's dog. Kennel 10 was Dottie, Kennel 7 was Armadillo, Kennel 6 was "Tappy Toes." Kennels 4, 8 and 9 were open.

Davis says water tended to pool at the kennels. Under the hose, and in front of a few kennels. Water never pooled on the concrete down near the feed room where the three labs were located.

Shown the photos of the dogs and kennels from the night of the murders. He says water shown pooled in front of the kennels by the feed rooms is NOT how it normally pooled. Also, he notes Bubba is in the first kennel by the feed room, not Grady the way he left them. He says Maggie liked Grady being in the first kennel video.

2/14/23

3 minutes ago

Burney testifies that he traced the $792,000 known as the Ferris fees. Says the money went to people known by Alex and to credit card bills. Says the first deposit was made on March 10, 2021 and the last deposit was in April 2021. Burney says the last bit of the money traced was out by May 25, 2021.

9 minutes ago

Burney testified he used a first in, first out method to track money from Alex's account.

13 minutes ago

Burney testified earlier without the jury present.

14 minutes ago

The state calls Carson Burney. He works for the attorney general's office as a forensic accountant.

15 minutes ago

Davis's testimony is finished.

16 minutes ago

Davis's testimony about being in his recliner after finishing up his work for the day brings a smile to Alex's face.

18 minutes ago

Davis says a rooster would torment the dogs.
In redirect, he says either Bubba or Grady got the rooster one day.

19 minutes ago

Griffin talks about Bubba getting a bad name.
Davis says he was "rambunctious"

20 minutes ago

Griffin asks about a hunting dog that got tangled in the kennels and had to be put down.
Davis says he put the dog down because Alex couldn't bring himself to do it.

22 minutes ago

Davis says he didn't hear gunshots on the night of June 7.

29 minutes ago

Davis testifies that he never saw Alex raise his voice with Maggie, Paul or Buster. Says anything they wanted he tried to get.

32 minutes ago

Griffin stops the video and points out the hose at the top of the video. Looks like the hose was on the ground.
Davis says he was very particular about how the hose was put away. Says Alex only cared that it was out of the way and Paul was not particular at all about how it was stored.

34 minutes ago

Jim Griffin pulls up the video from the kennels and stops on Cash, Rogan Gibson's dog. Davis says he should have been in kennel 5

39 minutes ago

Davis says he never saw a gun in the feed room in the four years he was cleaning the kennels.

42 minutes ago

Davis says too much water was around the first few kennels in this photo.

43 minutes ago

Davis says pool wouldn't pool in front of the feed room because the sunlight would hit it.

44 minutes ago

44 minutes ago

Davis says the feed room was to the right at the far end of the kennels. Describes where water would pool

an hour ago

Davis is labeling the kennels with the dogs located inside the kennels that day.

an hour ago

Davis testifies he went to the kennels around 4 p.m. on June 7, 2021. Says no one was there. Says he cleaned the pens, fed the dogs and was gone by 4:30 p.m.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maktub
Back