SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone may have already cleared this up- butI think the Prosecution wanted to get on the record the Judge’s ruling that the defense could not object to the actual Crosby testimony (what was said) based on attorney client privilege because it had been waived by virtue of the open discussion among other 3rd parties. There is no attorney client protection if you don’t have an expectation of privacy - which is established with evidence of open conversation that anyone could here. This way - the State can jump right to substance of the conversation without the defense jumping up and making a giant distraction in front of jury while the State is dropping a bomb.
I keep missing parts of the testimony because of my darn JOB! So, did this also involve the fact that Crosby wasn't acting as A<'s attorney, none of the attorneys were in that meeting of law firm members to my knowledge-maybe Jim but this meeting included many others and so would not be privileged anyway. So two bases really. There could be NO attorney client privilege in this case because of the presence of others and second, none of the lawyers, or at least Crosby, in that meeting were acting in representation of AM in that mtg.

Additional tweets

There have been a bunch of witnesses, mostly law enforcement, who were open/ talkative with prosecutors and then evasive with the defense. A few, like Britt Dove, have been happy to talk with either side. I think McElveen was the first who didn't want to answer anyone.

This is a very common theory that has been around since Murdaugh's lawyers told the world he was addicted to opioids in September 2021. Also worth noting that Jim Griffin last week jumped at a chance to tell jurors that Murdaugh prosecuted a member of the dangerous Cowboys gang.

One interesting question Griffin asked McElveen is whether the Murdaughs had an invisible electric fence because Bubba the yellow lab was a "handful" who would take off running on a whim. McElveen didn't know. And I'm curious what that fence has to do with any of this.

Murdaugh defense attorney Dick Harpootlian objects to the jury hearing testimony that the blue rainjacket was coated in gunshot residue. He says no one has connected Alex Murdaugh to the jacket, so telling the jury about GSR would be prejudicial.

Harpootlian says Shelley Smith testified that the blue tarp she saw Alex Murdaugh carrying was not the blue rainjacket.

Waters disagrees about what Smith actually testified. Now they're fighting about what Smith testified and whether she identified what Murdaugh was carrying as the blue rainjacket. Honestly, I don’t know. She seemed to go back and forth a lot.

Judge Newman overrules the objection.

The state's 31st witness is Bank of America's Natasha Moodie. She is questioned by prosecutor Johnny Ellis James Jr.

Edited: Added additional tweets.

Last edited:
I keep missing parts of the testimony because of my darn JOB! So, did this also involve the fact that Crosby wasn't acting as A<'s attorney, none of the attorneys were in that meeting of law firm members to my knowledge-maybe Jim but this meeting included many others and so would not be privileged anyway. So two bases really. There could be NO attorney client privilege in this case because of the presence of others and second, none of the lawyers, or at least Crosby, in that meeting were acting in representation of AM in that mtg.
Yes - that is another argument that none were acting as his attorney - but it’s pretty effective to avoid the whole kurfuffle as to whether or not someone was, thought they were, or whatever hypothetical scenario to muddy up the issue. So I think the strategy was - okay - even if there was some argument about an attorney client relationship it’s moot because they waived. Fallback argument is “there was nothing to waive” because no privilege. They got the judge to rule on the spot and record that any privilege if there was one was waived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member