SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Replying to my own post to add:

When Rogan testified, he mentioned that he and PM had shared an apartment in Columbia. I assume that was at the time of PM’s death.

I recall not long after the murders, newspaper reports that the manager of PM’s apt in Columbia had reported that there was evidence of a possible break-in at that apt a few days after the murders. The door was left standing open.

I find that report more interesting today than I did even when first hearing about it (presuming that was the apt Rogan and PM shared).

ETA: Link

The article says (BBM) "State authorities searched the apartment where Paul Murdaugh lived this spring while studying at the University of South Carolina"

Columbia is almost a 2 hr drive away according to Google Maps, Paul was working for John Marvin in the days before the murder, and the murder happened in summer when Paul would not have been expected to be at school. At the time of the shooting, Rogan was at his (parents) house right near Moselle.

9/29/2021

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - Curtis Edward Smith is accused of dealing opioids to a prominent South Carolina attorney who spent millions on drugs, agreeing to shoot someone in the head to assist a suicide attempt, and doing so without hesitation.

To Smith’s lawyer, Jarrett Bouchette, these accusations don’t make sense.

“He is a disabled former logger, he was in the logging business for most of his career and a mechanic. His financial means do not support the status of a long-time, high-level, multi-million dollar drug dealer,” Bouchette said.

Smith, 61, is charged with assisted suicide, assault and battery of a high aggravated nature, pointing and presenting a firearm, insurance fraud, and conspiracy to commit insurance fraud in connection with the shooting of Alex Murdaugh over Labor Day weekend.

[..]

Smith has also told SLED he was there at the time of the shooting and got rid of the weapon.

When asked where Smith disposed of the weapon, Bouchette said he has no comment on that at this time.

Bouchette says Smith got a call from Alex Murdaugh on September 4 with a request to bring his work truck. Smith would perform odd mechanic jobs when he could and even had a shop in the back of his house, according to Bouchette.

“It was under the assumption that he was coming over to fix something, or work on a piece of equipment, or something along those lines,” Bouchette said. “It appears that my client’s position is that he arrived on the scene and Mr. Murdaugh was essentially in a suicidal state, highly disheveled, agitated, and given what’s already been put out in the public that makes sense.”

Bouchette says Smith and Murdaugh have known each other for years.

The two played softball together and then talked more when Murdaugh represented him in a workers compensation case and then kept in “frequent contact and frequent communication.”

[..]

I'm sure Defense can try to hand wave it by saying he was worried Cash was traumatized by what he witnessed and would be further upset with all the police coming, so he was letting Rogan know so that he could come and get Cash from the police.
To the active crime scene? I think he called 4 times between the 911 call and the last call occurred in the first few minutes while the police were there. That is a lot of courtesy calling to one guy during the worst minutes of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callie679