SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #25

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The state on Friday entered into evidence the transcript of a voicemail Paul left his father on May 6, 2021 – roughly a month before the killings.

“I am still in EB (Edisto Beach) because when you get here we have to talk,” the message said. “Mom found several bags of pills in your computer bag.”

Cell phone records showed that on the same day, Maggie Murdaugh searched on Google “white pill 30 on one side rp,” prosecutors said. The description matches a 30 mg Oxycodone Hydrochloride pill. Maggie then deleted her searches for the pills, the prosecution said.

Paul Murdaugh confronted his father about finding pills a month before he and his mom were killed, prosecutors say | CNN

You're right and there are many murder cases where, for instance, adult children of the accused vehemently deny their parent's involvement, even long after the convictions and the parent's incarceration.

It is very difficult to reconcile 20 years or more of parent-child interaction, bonding, and complete trust with the monstrous things some of these parents have done to other members of the immediate family. For some, I would think that even witnessing their parent conducting the act on video might induce some kind of disassociation ("I can see him do it" "He couldn't possibly do it" - believing something true and untrue at the same time) in the adult child rather than acceptance of what their eyes are seeing. Acceptance would mean unacceptable loss.
Reminds me of Dr Dirk Greineder's murder of his wife Mabel in 1999. I sometimes wonder if his three children, who so strongly and publicly supported him, have come to understand the truth about what happened.

And if I recall correctly, in his very first in-car video interview in the evening, when asked something like did y’all store guns or firearms around the estate, I think one of his first responses was ‘no’. And the answer when further pressed then and later began to change?
Yep, I believe that's what was said and done. It's no wonder, to me, that LE thought from the beginning AM was the prime suspect. It seems now to be looked upon as bad investigation but I beg to differ greatly. Sometimes things just don't add up from the start, for numerous reasons. AJMO

Glad you posted this @Warwick7. Was wondering last night -- now that we have heard so much, what was it that they came across in those early days that caused SLED to open an investigation into SS's death (murder). Something they found in PM's bedroom? His apartment? Something on a computer? Something on a family member phone? Moo.

I heard nothing stated so far but hope they have some folks at SLED working on this concurrent with the Murdaugh murders so Stephen gets justice. Moo.

I wonder if it’s even that she thinks he’s not guilty. I think she just. Doesn’t. Care. As long as the dynasty continues. Almost a “how dare they do this to us?!” kind of thing. JMO. She just reeks of entitlement to me. “So what if he did? Don’t you know who we are?” MOO.
You nailed it! That's exactly how I'm experiencing her. MOO.

Alex actually received a text earlier in the day from Michael Gunn with another image of what looks to be the same woman. Sounds like it was an ex of his. And maybe he has just been outed for an affair, he got married in 2016.

Alex replied to the earlier text, "U ole dog!! Where is Lena now?"

Screenshot_20230218_113725.jpg

Sometimes Murdaugh would purchase drugs from a man named Kenny Hughes, he adds. He also bought them from Barbara Mixon, who looked after his mother, "on very limited occasions," Murdaugh says.

From the night of June 7, line 14 of the report shows an outgoing call on Maggie’s phone to “Barbara.” The same call is also listed on line 13. Dove explains there are several databases on the phone containing the same information stored in different logs. The call to Barbara was at 7:50 p.m. on June 7 and lasted 2 minutes and 45 seconds. The call to Barbara was the last call recorded sent or received as answerable by the phone. No more outgoing calls, no calls answered after the one to Barbara on June 7.

Same Barabara?

I wonder--since it says she looked after his mom only "sometimes"--was he calling her to see who was going to be working at his mom's that night? Trying to plan in advance and seeing who he was going to have to manipulate into supporting his alibi?

By the way, that earlier Gunn text is in the full timeline from Rudofsky.

There's other stuff of interest in there, including a transcript or the 911 call, which shows:

1:18 - Murdaugh: Ma’am I don’t know but he has blood everywhere, umm *gasping* I see brain, I can seeh is brain. *crying* She’s facedown, I tried to turn her a little bit, but she’s got a hole in her head.
• 1:33 - Dispatcher: Ok is he breathing at all?
• 1:35 - Murdaugh: No, nobody is. Help me.

There's also a call to Alex from Barbara Mixon. The Barbara that Maggie talks to is the same Barbara.

Last edited:
I am very confused about the cooler though. Was there any more testimony about it besides from Owen, because I didn't understand what they meant.

This is cued up to where he talks about it.

So CB Rowe says there was a cooler there on Tuesday that was not there on the Friday before when he was there. And Owen also says he saw the cooler there. Are they saying that Alex may have put something in the cooler and then left it at the scene? That doesn't make sense to me.

Was anything else said about it besides that little bit from Owen?
I didn’t click on the video you provided, but I remember leading up the comments about the cooler the Defense was hammering on about how AM’s Suburban had no wet spots where he could have transported bloody clothes. Then I guess the State asked Owen if wet clothes would fit in a cooler. And then Objections started flying.

I was SO waiting CB Rowe to be the next witness!

Remember in the first car interview AM said CBR didn’t work that day because he took his Father to a Dr. appointment?

The Defense got Agent Owen to say that CBR had lied to SLED when he told them the same story and later told SLED he actually had a job interview that day.

IMO that made him look like a very unreliable witness and would have been shredded by the Defense .
Lying to an employer is one thing, but not LE. JMO
To be fair I would have still found him credible. I don’t know if that’s why The State didn’t call him, but wish we knew more about that cooler!

I didn’t click on the video you provided, but I remember leading up the comments about the cooler the Defense was hammering on about how AM’s Suburban had no wet spots where he could have transported bloody clothes. Then I guess the State asked Owen if wet clothes would fit in a cooler. And then Objections started flying.

I was SO waiting CB Rowe to be the next witness!

Remember in the first car interview AM said CBR didn’t work that day because he took his Father to a Dr. appointment?

The Defense got Agent Owen to say that CBR had lied to SLED when he told them the same story and later told SLED he actually had a job interview that day.

IMO that made him look like a very unreliable witness and would have been shredded by the Defense .
Lying to an employer is one thing, but not LE. JMO
To be fair I would have still found him credible. I don’t know if that’s why The State didn’t call him, but wish we knew more about that cooler!

If he did put the cooler in his car, then the theory would have to be that he took it to Almeda, removed whatever was in there and then took it back to Moselle. It would still be hard to understand why he wouldn't just leave it at Almeda. Perhaps with chaotic Alex, he just forgot it was in his car, then noticed it after the 911 call and removed it.

Alex actually received a text earlier in the day from Michael Gunn with another image of what looks to be the same woman. Sounds like it was an ex of his. And maybe he has just been outed for an affair, he got married in 2016.

Alex replied to the earlier text, "U ole dog!! Where is Lena now?"

View attachment 403755
Well I know the "Lena" is not the wife. Easily known from information Mr Gunn testified to in court about his NYC wedding.

The state on Friday entered into evidence the transcript of a voicemail Paul left his father on May 6, 2021 – roughly a month before the killings.

“I am still in EB (Edisto Beach) because when you get here we have to talk,” the message said. “Mom found several bags of pills in your computer bag.”

Cell phone records showed that on the same day, Maggie Murdaugh searched on Google “white pill 30 on one side rp,” prosecutors said. The description matches a 30 mg Oxycodone Hydrochloride pill. Maggie then deleted her searches for the pills, the prosecution said.

Paul Murdaugh confronted his father about finding pills a month before he and his mom were killed, prosecutors say | CNN
What strikes me as odd about Paul's message to his father is that he tells Alex to talk to him about the pills. He doesn't tell Alex to talk to his wife about it, but to his son - almost a role reversal of parent and child. Was Paul the in-between communicator for his parents?

Just watched Emily D Baker, Law and Lumber+, and they all complained about this trial, how both sides have played fast and loose, asking Leading questions, which are not generally allowed. Emily, a former California Prosecutor said this case should not have been brought, as there is much Info/Proof missing, and AM is already in Jail, so no rush. They also noted that it's obvious the Prosecutor was hungry to convict AM. Emily also thinks it's very possible AM knew the actual Killers, but may have not done the crime himself, so she might have charged him with complicity. They all also have doubts about the exact times of death. The podcast is Friday Night Frenzy/ Murdaugh Murder Trial-Prosecution Rests (Law and Lumber) on Youtube.
Listened, and can see some of their criticism, but You All and I have watched, gone back and forth, pointed out what WE have noticed, and I still feel he is Guilty as sin, But while one lawyer thinks Guilty verdict, the others thing perhaps Hung Jury. If I were a taxpayer in SC, I would be furious if they my tax dollars were wasted. Just MOO
Wanted to make you aware and get Your input. Stay safe, and have a Happy Presidents Day:)

Yes the 20 second time to call 911 is not the least believable, any human would be too shocked taking in that scene to react that fast, even Alex. Even if they didn't take time to check the bodies it would take longer than that.

Also the fact that he told 911 that he had 'been down there and it's bad' (or words to that effect) means he wasn't even right there at the murder site when he was talking to them.

Just watched Emily D Baker, Law and Lumber+, and they all complained about this trial, how both sides have played fast and loose, asking Leading questions, which are not generally allowed. Emily, a former California Prosecutor said this case should not have been brought, as there is much Info/Proof missing, and AM is already in Jail, so no rush. They also noted that it's obvious the Prosecutor was hungry to convict AM. Emily also thinks it's very possible AM knew the actual Killers, but may have not done the crime himself, so she might have charged him with complicity. They all also have doubts about the exact times of death. The podcast is Friday Night Frenzy/ Murdaugh Murder Trial-Prosecution Rests (Law and Lumber) on Youtube.
Listened, and can see some of their criticism, but You All and I have watched, gone back and forth, pointed out what WE have noticed, and I still feel he is Guilty as sin, But while one lawyer thinks Guilty verdict, the others thing perhaps Hung Jury. If I were a taxpayer in SC, I would be furious if they my tax dollars were wasted. Just MOO
Wanted to make you aware and get Your input. Stay safe, and have a Happy Presidents Day:)
I think the most important question relates to time of death, and I have seen enough evidence regarding the events between 8:44 - 8:49 PM to convince me that this is when they died. It's evident that Paul was shot first based on where his body was found - shot by surprise. Alex was at the location where they were shot when they were shot, so unless someone wants to see Alex get away with murder, I don't think there's any reason to find him not guilty.

What strikes me as odd about Paul's message to his father is that he tells Alex to talk to him about the pills. He doesn't tell Alex to talk to his wife about it, but to his son - almost a role reversal of parent and child. Was Paul the in-between communicator for his parents?
When I read your post the first thing that popped to mind was AM's 911 call and the words I heard him utter " For God sakes Paul, why'd you have to get involved" AJMO, my ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member