SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me, for I struggle to be brief.

The central theme of AM's life is greed. He appears to be fine with draining people who have so little in the way of resources socially, physically, or financially if it benefits him in any small way.

Relationships are the currency of the poor. If your truck breaks down, you don't call a tow truck, you call a friend or neighbor to help you. If there is a tragedy, people rally around you and bring you food, or donate $ to help you out. Affluent people pay for all of the services that are typically provided by the friends and family of the poor. People living in poverty protect their relationships fiercely, and will give up many of their limited worldly items and $ to help a friend out.

AM can take advantage of the people around him because they are playing with two different sets of values and rules, and he seems to straddle the worlds of the advantaged and the disadvantaged. The poor people around him are operating under the assumption that you help a fella out whenever you can. He is operating under the principle that you always take the biggest slice of the cake that you can secure. It is a recipe for imbalance and predation.

AM loves to sidle up to someone with the 'ol "Hey Bo, can you do me a favor?" You can hear him working on Buster in this way in the jail calls. AM uses the kindness of others to get them to do what he wants, and he is not encumbered by the principles of fairness. He makes unreasonable requests, but he does it the folksy tone of the poor, and people feel obligated to help him out. He has really mastered how to get people to feel sorry for him in circumstances where he has no business requesting anything, and as I have said before, this is how he operates as a predator. His lies are almost always about garnering sympathy, and he knows how to tap the sympathy vein for $ and pity.

Anyone entering into a relationship with AM needs to ask themself, where am I being punctured, and what is he draining from me?

Relationships are his weapon. Does that make sense?
I have nothing to add except this is a great post. Every word is true and it made me cry.

He was Timmy

I have heard commentators state that if convicted, he would only be able to appeal certain aspects of the trial such as introduction of evidence deemed too prejudicial, if he took the stand. That said, I do believe his main motive of taking the stand was that he believed he could talk his way out of this, he has spent his whole life convincing others to believe his lies. MOO
The Great Bullshitter. He's perfected the skill.

I read the comments on the article, and I didn’t realize that “hung jury” is not an option. Does anyone know if this is accurate?
If the Jury can not decide Guilty or Or Not Guilty, that is a hung jury, or whatever phrase they use in SC, and the Attorney General can choose whether to retry AM.

The Great Bullshitter. He's perfected the skill.
Sometimes even great bullshitters will listen to their attorney's advice to not take the stand, but not this guy-- he really believes he can talk his way out of a conviction and convince the jury he is innocent- that tells you how confident and arrogant he really is.

Last edited:
I agree with you and minor4th. For me, it all comes down to AM lying about being at the murder scene. He would have no reason to lie about that unless he KNEW they were dead before he left Moselle. He is revealed as a habitual criminal who lies to cover up his crimes.
I watched again his first interview with police in their car at the kennels. He is so fake. They weren’t buying his story. Then I also watched The Behavior Panel on YouTube discuss that interview. I’ve seen them many times over the past year discussing other people in interviews, etc. They agreed with the way I felt watching AM. He wasn’t emotional. He wasn’t suffering. It was as if he was telling them, “okay I gotta get this over with, I have things to do”. I just wanted to slap him hard to get his attention. He knows how the game is played but it was like “Do you know I’m Alex Murdsugh? My family runs this town.”
I hope he is convicted.

If the Jury can not decide Guilty or Or Not Guilty, that is a hung jury, or whatever phrase they use in SC, and the Attorney General can choose whether to retry AM.
I appreciate your response—I understand what a hung jury is, but there are numerous comments on the article that say that in SC, hung jury is not an option; the jury must deliberate until a guilty or not guilty verdict is reached. I just wondered if that’s accurate.

I appreciate your response—I understand what a hung jury is, but there are numerous comments on the article that say that in SC, hung jury is not an option; the jury must deliberate until a guilty or not guilty verdict is reached. I just wondered if that’s accurate.
I googled it, from a law firm website

What happens after a hung jury in SC?

A jury verdict in SC must be unanimous – 12 jurors must all vote guilty or they must all vote not guilty, and there is no in-between. When the jury cannot reach a decision, they will usually send a note out to the judge letting him or her know that they have reached an impasse.

That impasse is what we call a “hung jury.” What happens then? Usually, the court will consult with the attorneys for each side before calling the jurors out to the courtroom to give them an “Allen charge.”

What is an Allen charge? If the Allen charge does not change the minds of the “holdout jurors,” then what happens after a hung jury?

What Happens After a Hung Jury?​

A hung jury means that the trial is over – there is no conviction, but there is also no acquittal. The trial is a “legal nullity,” and the proceedings start over again (or not, as I discuss below).

Because the government wants a conviction, they will push the court to give an Allen charge to the jurors before giving up. Because judges often also want a conviction, or, if they don’t, they still don’t want to see judicial time and resources taken up with a second trial, they will usually give the Allen charge.

What is an Allen Charge?​

An Allen charge is an instruction given by the court to the jurors telling them that they should continue deliberating and attempt to reach a unanimous verdict. It’s named after an 1896 case, Allen v. United States.

It’s usually a point of contention between the government, defense, and judge, because an Allen charge, by its nature, is coercive. The holdouts on the jury know that the judge is talking to them, whether or not they have revealed the numerical split.

Most jurors see the judge as the authority figure in the courtroom and are easily influenced by instructions from the court. While the reality is that the most innocuous Allen charge is coercive to some degree (no matter how you look at it, the court is trying to coerce the holdouts to change their mind), the appellate courts have

I looked it up. Sounds like it’s an option if they can’t reach a unanimous verdict.

The judge will send you to a jury room where your deliberations will be in secret. Once you reach a unanimous verdict and it is read in court, your job is done and the judge will dismiss you. In the unusual situation where the jury is unable to reach a unanimous verdict, the judge may find it necessary to declare a mistrial and the case will have to be tried again before a different jury.

Day 25

Train is going choo-choo. Defense is calling on for four witnesses today. Hop on a railcar and grab a seat, but first stop by for a beverage if you so incline. Enjoy the ride. Choo-choo!

Off topic: Got so engrossed with the AM trial that I missed out on Botox in a Bottle, which supposedly sold out in just two days. Lol

Watch trial live. We have several options!

2/23/2023

https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

"I'm Alex Murdaugh...." Murdaugh turns to the jury, "Good morning.”

Right off the bat, Griffin asks #AlexMurdaugh if he killed Paul and Maggie. "Mr. Griffin, I didn't shoot my wife or my son, any time, ever.”

Was that your voice on the kennel video? It is. Were you at the kennels the night Maggie and Paul were murdered? I was. Did you lie to SLED. I did.

2/24/2023 Griffin on redirect.

Griffin: “Alex, did you murder Maggie?” AM: “I would never hurt Maggie.” G: “Did you murder Paul?” AM: “I would never hurt Paul. If I was under the pressure that they’re talking about here, I can promise you I would hurt myself before I would hurt one of them, without a doubt.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke