VERDICT WATCH SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #36

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me either. He laid out a fine case based on speculation but that’s all it is. Up to defense to provide alternative speculation. Still winnable for them, though uphill battle. There’s lot of doubt about whether he did it—probably he did, so the question, is the doubt reasonable? State is basing so much of its case on his being a liar—really irrelevant to the specific act—and the timeline, but the real question about the timeline is how he could clean himself up so quickly within that timeline. He killed them then was quickly on the move and yet still managed to get rid of virtually all forensic evidence. Not likely, MOO. And they insinuate the murder weapons had to be his, but no real proof of that, especially with Paul’s weapon missing a long time. Not feeling it.
They do have proof of the 300blackout being the murder weapon. They matched fired casing from where Paul's good friend testified they sighted in that gun some months prior. I'd have to look up exactly when he said that was, but earlier in 2021. He said this gun was the replacement to the one Paul had stolen. The person Alex bought the gun off of confirmed he bought a replacement for the one stolen. So the casing from the gun that killed Maggie were 100% fired from the same gun that was sighted in exactly where Paul's friend said they did that. His original gun was missing yes, but the murder weapon was the replacement that someone outside the family had seen recently.

No, he is missing the facts. JMO. But, I am good with the closing. It could have been stronger.
Not sure what fact you think is missing other than a confession. Son and wife killed. He was there. He lied. Missing clothes. Lured victims. Angry man. Drug affected personality out of control. Again, HE WAS THERE.

I don't think anyone had an accurate count on how many guns were supposed to be there.

However, the bullets used from the rifle that shot Maggie had the same ballistics as a weapon bought for Paul (who target practiced and left bullets and casings that could be used to ID the weapon). That gun disappeared, Paul lost it, according to the Murdaughs. Buster and Paul were given matching semi-automatic rifles (AR style) and Paul "lost" his. So Maggie bought him a slightly cheaper version and that is not the one that was used. No report of the theft or loss of the rifle was ever reported to police.

The shotgun was never found, and I don't think we've heard testimony about how many shotguns the family owned, but AM had another one at the house, which he says he picked up out of fear that night. So there were shotguns, plural, in the gun room. I think it was also testified that guns were kept lying about and in other areas as storage.

IMO.
Thank you for that. I DID watch the Netflix show on this where a drone operator accidently filmed BM loading weapons into a truck. The next day? I caan't recall, but very shortly afterwards. Hmmm.

We saw that on live! DH did nod right off and then it's like his head falling back woke him up.
This case has not been a compilation of Dick's finest hours. I don't think we'll see him do another criminal trial, at least one of this magnitude. I think there's just not enough left in the tank at this point.

Go retire with your many millions and hang out in Slovenia with your wife.

MOO

Me either. He laid out a fine case based on speculation but that’s all it is. Up to defense to provide alternative speculation. Still winnable for them, though uphill battle. There’s lot of doubt about whether he did it—probably he did, so the question, is the doubt reasonable? State is basing so much of its case on his being a liar—really irrelevant to the specific act—and the timeline, but the real question about the timeline is how he could clean himself up so quickly within that timeline. He killed them then was quickly on the move and yet still managed to get rid of virtually all forensic evidence. Not likely, MOO. And they insinuate the murder weapons had to be his, but no real proof of that, especially with Paul’s weapon missing a long time. Not feeling it.
I don’t see any reasonable doubt, timeline, data from phones and cars place him there, I think his lies are relevant, why lie about being at the kennels in that specific time frame only the killer would know that is when they were killed. He had time to hose off at the kennel, have a change of clothes ready, he had ample opportunity to stash weapons at Almeda and dispose of them later . What was he doing walking around Almeda before he went into the house? The weapon they are referring to is the the one to replace the one that was missing. Alex testified that it had never been replaced but a friend of Paul’s testified that it had been replaced and they were shooting it a few months before the murder. Another witness testified that it had been replaced. That gun now is nowhere to be found. Casings were found where the friend said they were shooting it that match casings at the murder scene. Moo

He's not on trial for the financial stuff - that comes next. But the Prosecutor sure isn't presenting it that way.

Which is why the Prosecutor should have skipped on down. Just put it on a bullet list. They KNOW. They HEARD. Just say PONZI SCHEME CRASHING and spend 3 minutes. Same with the pills. We KNOW. Skip on down.

He needed a consultant who knows how to teach and persuade. Even the best learners cannot handle more than 3-4 main points per day in a contentious or unfamiliar matter. WHY is he talking about Alex's own alibi? We KNOW he was lying. Just reconstruct what happened.

Walk us through what you, Mr Prosecutor, imagine to have been the lead-up (on that day or maybe over a couple of days) to the events of that night. He's just all over the place because, like most public speakers, doing an entire day of lecturing/persuading is mentally exhausting. Looks like the Prosecutor made sketchy bullet points and did not think in terms of overall rhetoric and oratory. HE puts in too many details (it is no longer relevant about dying dad or boat case).
I liked it only because I missed so much testimony. But you are correct. The jury KNOWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raquel222