GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #39

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The NYPost article said JMM and Randy helped him into his car, but were either of them there at the verdict reading? I thought JMM was an hour away, and don't recall seeing Randy.
NYPost says a source told them BM collapsed outside after the verdict Thursday night, not after the sentencing on Friday.
It’s confusing the way they report it (as usual)

JMM was definitely there on Thursday for verdict, but could not make it on time for sentencing on Friday.

I don’t recall seeing RM at either.

[…]

Alex Murdaugh’s surviving son, Buster, broke down outside court after his father was convicted of killing his mother and brother, a source told The Post on Friday.

“Buster held up pretty well until the cameras were off him — but then he collapsed,” said a source who was at the Colleton County Courthouse when Murdaugh, 54, was found guilty of the grisly double murder.

“He was crying uncontrollably. The uncles [Alex’s brothers, John Marvin Murdaugh and Randy Murdaugh] finally got him into a car.”
[…]

Despite his overwhelming emotions Thursday night, Buster was also back at the Colleton County Courthouse for sentencing Friday morning.

EBM Correction- John Marvin was not present in Court for the Verdict on Thursday. He was there for sentencing on Friday.
I had it backwards.

Last edited:
NYPost says a source told them BM collapsed outside after the verdict Thursday night, not after the sentencing on Friday.

JMM was definitely there on Thursday for verdict, but could not make it on time for sentencing on Friday.

[…]

Alex Murdaugh’s surviving son, Buster, broke down outside court after his father was convicted of killing his mother and brother, a source told The Post on Friday.

“Buster held up pretty well until the cameras were off him — but then he collapsed,” said a source who was at the Colleton County Courthouse when Murdaugh, 54, was found guilty of the grisly double murder.

“He was crying uncontrollably. The uncles [Alex’s brothers, John Marvin Murdaugh and Randy Murdaugh] finally got him into a car.”
[…]

Despite his overwhelming emotions Thursday night, Buster was also back at the Colleton County Courthouse for sentencing Friday morning.
You have it reversed. JMM was not there when the verdict was read last night but was sitting next to Buster today at sentencing.

I admit to being puzzled by people insisting that Judge Newman was out of bounds or creating conditions for a successful appeal by anything he said at the sentencing today. I have seen many judges in Illinois and in other national cases act and speak similarly.
How could what Judge Newman said at sentencing create grounds for appeal? The jury had already found him guilty, there was no one to influence? However, I was a little surprised by some of what he said. Maggie and Paul visiting; asking what Alex meant by the tangled web comment, etc.

I appreciated this Judge immensely, he kept the courtroom in order at all times. His demeanor was humble, yet firm.
I found myself wishing he had also presided over another high profile SC case - Heather Elvis. Could you imagine what he would have said to Tammy Moorer at sentencing?

[…]

[…]

I see JMM at sentencing?

[…]

[…]

Did you get that backwards? JMM could not get to the courthouse in time for the verdict on Thursday night (he asked if they would wait but Judge said no) -- he missed the verdict. JMM *was* there for the sentencing. RM was not present for either, as you stated. Just what I observed on livestream.

Added: Sorry -- didn't mean to pile on. I see several folks have mentioned the reversal! (We all do it. :D )

Last edited:
Did you get that backwards? JMM could not get to the courthouse in time for the verdict on Thursday night (he asked if they would wait but Judge said no) -- he missed the verdict. JMM *was* there for the sentencing. RM was not present for either, as you stated. Just what I observed on livestream.
Yep I screwed that up.
JMO

interesting how RM has distanced himself from AM and the family...at least in public.

Interview with Dr. Kinsey

Thank you for sharing this interview. I've never known of a jury specifically requesting to thank a witness. Anyone else?

I did not realize the Jury asked to meet Dr. Kinsey so they could personally thank him for testifying. What a humbling experience it must have been for him. I reckon his testimony made the puzzles pieces of the shootings make sense for some of them. Kinsey's testimony was visually well-presented in the courtroom.

From Dr. Kinsey and John Meadors' closing, I cobbled this scene:

Meadors said Maggie had been at her car when she read the JMM group text. Maggie hears Paul being shot. She begins running towards him. Maggie was shot twice with painful, non-fatal injuries.

The gunshot into the thigh, knocked her to her knees. The 2nd shot knocked the breath out of her it was so painful. She bent over and fell to one hand. These two shots were parallel and in quick succession. They were shot from a distance of Alex being 4' - 5' away from her body.

The stippling (hot gunshot powder tattooing the skin around the entry wound) indicated one shot was about a foot closer than the other. Alex was walking towards his wife while shooting her.

Wonder if he spoke to her? What would he say to her before shooting her in the head? Twice. Did he take great pleasure in doing so, at the time?

#AlexSentencedToLWOP

interesting how RM has distanced himself from AM and the family...at least in public.
RM's had a completely different dynamic with AM -- at least from what we have been told. RM and the law firm are out millions they have to repay clients, AM stole from RM personally and lied to him -- RM may not be so open to Alec's lies about the murders. He may not be invested in supporting AM.

As far as the investigation, I think we saw RM was pretty much non existent in AM's world the last 18 months (understandably) compared to JMM who nominated himself as the go between with AM and LE and seemed to show up with every turn to "help." Although, I think there are some jail phone call recordings of him and/or his wife.

Does anyone know the birth order of the siblings? AM, RM, LMG, JMM?

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this interview. I've never known of a jury specifically requesting to thank a witness. Anyone else?

I did not realize the Jury asked to meet Dr. Kinsey so they could personally thank him for testifying. What a humbling experience it must have been for him. I reckon his testimony made the puzzles pieces of the shootings make sense for some of them. Kinsey's testimony was visually well-presented in the courtroom.

From Dr. Kinsey and John Meadors' closing, I cobbled this scene:

Meadors said Maggie had been at her car when she read the JMM group text. Maggie hears Paul being shot. She begins running towards him. Maggie was shot twice with painful, non-fatal injuries.

The gunshot into the thigh, knocked her to her knees. The 2nd shot knocked the breath out of her it was so painful. She bent over and fell to one hand. These two shots were parallel and in quick succession. They were shot from a distance of Alex being 4' - 5' away from her body.

The stippling (hot gunshot powder tattooing the skin around the entry wound) indicated one shot was about a foot closer than the other. Alex was walking towards his wife while shooting her.

Wonder if he spoke to her? What would he say to her before shooting her in the head? Twice. Did he take great pleasure in doing so, at the time?

#AlexSentencedToLWOP

I think he probably wore a mask so in his mind they wouldn’t think it was him.

and they're dead. NO WAY AM got 50k of pure oxy a week, took them and lived...either dollar amount is wrong, every MD in the lower 48 was writing prescriptions for him, he owned a drugstore chain, or someone was running PURE drugs from a foreign source. These could not have been drugs manufactured in someone's basement. They would have been laced with something, in this new world of fentanyl kicks. In my mind, the next trials should address this. It makes no sense. He wasnt a movie star with fawning sycophants doing his bidding to obtain controlled substances. Just my common sense opinion.
I dont necessarily disagree with you. But, he or ppl around him haven’t dropped dead of fentanyl poisoning. I would suspect pharm vs MD. But, as we have seen there are multi mysteries here. But, I’m not out on the possibilities.

Was her car found at the kennels?
Yeah that part really confused me when Meadors said MM was at her car putting her rings on !

I thought Well that ties up the puzzle piece of Blanca finding MM wedding band in the car.

I had totally forgotten about that because his closing argument was so powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
upnorthmichigansleuth