GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #39

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NYPost says a source told them BM collapsed outside after the verdict Thursday night, not after the sentencing on Friday.
It’s confusing the way they report it (as usual)

JMM was definitely there on Thursday for verdict, but could not make it on time for sentencing on Friday.

I don’t recall seeing RM at either.

[…]

Alex Murdaugh’s surviving son, Buster, broke down outside court after his father was convicted of killing his mother and brother, a source told The Post on Friday.

“Buster held up pretty well until the cameras were off him — but then he collapsed,” said a source who was at the Colleton County Courthouse when Murdaugh, 54, was found guilty of the grisly double murder.

“He was crying uncontrollably. The uncles [Alex’s brothers, John Marvin Murdaugh and Randy Murdaugh] finally got him into a car.”
[…]

Despite his overwhelming emotions Thursday night, Buster was also back at the Colleton County Courthouse for sentencing Friday morning.

EBM Correction- John Marvin was not present in Court for the Verdict on Thursday. He was there for sentencing on Friday.
I had it backwards.
The closer you are to someone, the harder it is to see the truth.

Was her car found at the kennels?

Maggie's Mercedes had to be at the kennels. This was a great closing by John Meadors. He explains the prosecution's theory on the blue tarp/raincoat, where and when Alex hid the guns closer to the beginning.

@ 39:57 Meadors begins opining about Maggie's phone: she's at her car, messing with her rings, opens the text...

No MD

What md has a license that could withstand writing that amount of prescription opiods for long. Plus, what pharmacy is filling these "prescriptions"? Where EXACTLY were these drugs coming from? Pure, high quality, unlaced,thousands of oxy????
I suspect AM may have been doing some drug trafficking on the side.

RM's had a completely different dynamic with AM -- at least from what we have been told. RM and the law firm are out millions they have to repay clients, AM stole from RM personally and lied to him -- RM may not be so open to Alec's lies about the murders. He may not be invested in supporting AM.

As far as the investigation, I think we saw RM was pretty much non existent in AM's world the last 18 months (understandably) compared to JMM who nominated himself as the go between with AM and LE and seemed to show up with every turn to "help." Although, I think there are some jail phone call recordings of him and/or his wife.

Does anyone know the birth order of the siblings? AM, RM, LMG, JMM?

That would be this: The four siblings are
Lynn Murdaugh-Goettee (1963)
Randolph (Randy) Murdaugh IV (1966)
Alex (1968)
John Marvin Murdaugh (1970)
, but the middle two alone chose to follow in their dynasty’s prominent footsteps.

WALTERBORO, S.C. (FOX News) - Alex Murdaugh's defense lawyers told reporters Friday their client was getting hit with life behind bars even if "Mother Teresa" begged for leniency at his sentencing.

A reporter asked Dick Harpootlian and Jim Griffin at a press conference outside the Colleton County Courthouse why Buster Murdaugh didn't plead with Judge Clifton Newman to go easy on his father.

None of Murdaugh's family members addressed the court.

"We could have had Mother Teresa up there speaking on behalf of Alex at sentencing, but he was getting a double life sentence. That was expected," replied Griffin, flanked by the rest of the defense team. "Judge Newman, he is a very stringent punisher when it comes to crimes and sentences. That was never in dispute."

[…]

There was a lot of effort by the state to convince the family that Alex is a murderer," the attorney said. "After six weeks of trial, they came away more convinced that he did not do this, and they steadfastly are in his camp and support him. That’s where they stand."

Murdaugh's sister, Lynn Murdaugh Goette, his brother John Marvin Murdaugh and Buster sat in the gallery as Newman delivered his withering commentary. Alex Murdaugh's brother, Randy Murdaugh, however, was noticeably absent.

[…]

Alex Murdaugh faced life sentence for murder even if 'Mother Teresa' begged for mercy: defense

I suspect AM may have been doing some drug trafficking on the side.
He owned uninhabitable marshy islands for a reason. I saw images of the island that had long piers built for docking boats.

Property records indicate that Murdaugh is listed as a co-owner of three wooded tracts totaling 30 acres amid the waterways of St. Helena Island.

JAN 2022

Murdaugh's current assets:

• Three bank accounts, containing a total of $10,000 in cash.
  • A retirement account worth somewhere between $2.1 and $2.2 million
  • An IRA retirement fund worth somewhere between $350,000 and $400,000
  • Real estate that Murdaugh has an interest in, along with other individuals, but can’t liquidate without court action, including a hunting club and some “small islands” around Beaufort County. Some of this real estate is owned through LLCs, Lay said.
(His future assets are also listed)
Alex Murdaugh has millions in 'protected' assets, but who will be compensated?

That family text about Alex's father, did Maggie read it?.. she would've known then that Alec's father wasn't at Almeda... and she'd know that Alec knew it too. And if he knew his father wasn't at Almeda, why he asked her to Mosellle? False pretense... why had he summoned them? Her hinky meter must've fired hot. When did hinky turn to fear?

Cue the scary music.

Full out predator.

Aforethought? he left his phone back at the house, from 6pm onward

Alec sure didn't want to divulge his last conversation with Maggie, her last words.

i wonder if they were these: please stop.

:(

JMO

Last edited:
I think the defense team didn't want him to look like a convict. With a full head of hair, oxford shirts, and a sports jacket he appeared to be an upstanding lawyer and citizen.
Except, having HIM look like a lawyer worked against him, once the jurors learned how he used his job as a lawyer to greedily pillage his client's savings accounts.

Headline news here:

Story by Sky News Australia • 10h ago

Disgraced high-profile US lawyer Alex Murdaugh has been sentenced to life in prison for the murders of his wife Maggie and his son Paul in 2021.

US Judge Clifton Newman handed down the double life sentence without the possibility of parole – ensuring Mr Murdaugh would die in jail.

Prosecutors argued the 54-year-old had killed two members of his family to cover up the embezzlement of millions of dollars from his law practice to feed his opium addiction.

The latest shake-up occurred shortly before the jury went into deliberations Thursday afternoon after closing arguments from both sides.

The juror had denied the allegations when she was questioned at the Colleton County Courthouse in Walterboro, South Carolina, on Tuesday. But three witnesses on Wednesday claimed the unnamed juror had offered her opinion on evidence presented in the trial.

"In order to preserve the integrity of the process and the interests of both the state and the defense in a fair trial, that juror will be removed and replaced by another juror," Newman told the court.

"I'm sure that with all the time you've invested in it, you probably hate not to continue," Newman said. "I'm not suggesting that you intentionally did anything wrong, but that in order to preserve the integrity of the process and in fairness to all the parties involved, we're going to replace you with one of the other jurors."

There are now 12 jurors and one alternate remaining, despite the trial starting with six alternates. Several jurors were removed during the weekslong trial due to illnesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raquel222