SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #43

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t understand the question or postulate in the above posting “I am concerned that his attorneys could not nail a verdict in his favor.” MOO

My understanding is that the court applied guilty standard in criminal cases is ‘beyond a reasonable doubt’. (It is not beyond ‘all’ doubt.) IMO

Just caught up on the press conference by defense and Eric Bland. And Lawyer Lori’s tweets about Eric Bland elbowing his way into that press conference. Apparently Eric Bland said on his Cup of Justice podcast “We Won!” And Lawyer Lori wants to know is it “Cup of Justice” or “Cup of We Won.” Lol. Can we raise money for a venue so all these frustrated low country defense lawyers can duke it out??? I’m betting Lawyer Lori knocks them all out and goes home with the gold! Haha!

On a serious note, they need to act professional. It’s getting outta hand!

On an extremely unserious note, can’t wait for the next presser when the real killer will be announced by Harpootlian and Griffin! Good lawd!!! Just go to the appellate court - you may get lucky there!

JMO

look, I'm sorry but this has nothing to do with how the judge characterizes Becky's behavior. We have a juror who says she was bossed into a guilty verdict by an employee of the court. That's it. end of story. it doesn't matter...the jurors had lawyers and I think everyone is lying. One other juror confirmed one of the claims by juror Z. that, and the judges dismissal of all the totally messy antics of that court room...where I believe she even forgot to advise one of the jurors..
this whole shebang needs to be moved and appealed... I am concerned that his attorneys could not nail a verdict in his favor.

I wonder if maybe Alex was down there when the shooting happened but ran away ...I don't know what if he didn't know what he was doing? I just have trouble with him being a family annihilator...maybe he is but then something is missing..
like real evidence. where are the guns etc? was it about a drug debt? someone needs to get the real motive of this case against Alex. mOO
Real evidence? He was at the crime scene during the time of the murders which is a fact given the video from Paul's phone! He owned the exact same caliber of guns and ammo that were used in the murders. Plus all the other shady stuff going on. I've never seen a man more guilty of homicide in my life. Then we have the so called "suicide attempt" that wasn't allowed to be mentioned in the trial. That to me points to 1000% guilty!!!

There are literally 5000 places those guns could have disappeared to. This is the Low Country. There is tidal water spanning 100's of miles of waterways, marshes, the ocean, rivers, creeks for and ponds that surround that area. A team of 10,000 searchers could look for decades and never get a hit on anything. The tide comes in and out moving millions of tons of silt and sand in and out two times a day. Throw in a couple of storms and hurricanes and they could be 1000's of feet away from where they were disposed and under tons of that silt and sand. Alex could have easily ditched them anywhere on his drive either to or from his mother's place that night, or early the next morning or in the year/year and half before he was arrested. That's not even including the miles of woods in the area as well. My bet is they are in the ocean a few miles off shore. He had access to boats. They are long gone. The only way those guns are going to be found is by accident.

look, I'm sorry but this has nothing to do with how the judge characterizes Becky's behavior. We have a juror who says she was bossed into a guilty verdict by an employee of the court. That's it. end of story. it doesn't matter...the jurors had lawyers and I think everyone is lying. One other juror confirmed one of the claims by juror Z. that, and the judges dismissal of all the totally messy antics of that court room...where I believe she even forgot to advise one of the jurors..
this whole shebang needs to be moved and appealed... I am concerned that his attorneys could not nail a verdict in his favor.

I wonder if maybe Alex was down there when the shooting happened but ran away ...I don't know what if he didn't know what he was doing? I just have trouble with him being a family annihilator...maybe he is but then something is missing..
like real evidence. where are the guns etc? was it about a drug debt? someone needs to get the real motive of this case against Alex. mOO
Having a murder weapon isn't necessary to secure a conviction, nor is a motive. Most likely Alex wanted to shut Paul up about the wrongful death case of Mallory Beach, and Maggie was either collateral damage- in the wrong place at the wrong time, or she was divorcing him and it was about the money with her.

Having a murder weapon isn't necessary to secure a conviction, nor is a motive. Most likely Alex wanted to shut Paul up about the wrongful death case of Mallory Beach, and Maggie was either collateral damage- in the wrong place at the wrong time, or she was divorcing him and it was about the money with her.
Yes, I believe much of the same. And if I remember correctly, didn’t the convicted defendant want his wife to be there that evening as well? It also could have been the case that she wanted to settle or resolve the son’s boat crash lawsuit. But with the financial house of cards AM had created, the defendant didn’t want that to come light or fruition. MOO

You are concerned that his attorneys will be unable to get a verdict in his favour? There is already a guilty verdict, the evidence was overwhelming.

He had a reason why he wanted to kill Maggie. Were you around for ‘Paw Paw’?

What do you mean about someone having a motive in this case against Alex? Who and which case? I’m sure there are many people who want him kept behind bars and held accountable for the murders. That isn’t unusual or nefarious. The only motive is justice.

As far as unfair treatment he was given special treatment because of his attorney’s. One in particular is that they are floating it for him.

ETA: it’s not unusual for a juror to have conflicted feelings. Especially if a juror has not served before, it can be scary to make a decision on a case of this magnitude. The clerks convoluted behaviour made it more difficult for that particular juror.

This is just ‘my’ conclusion after following the case from the beginning. You may feel differently and I respect that.

Last edited:
Hm I’m not sure I understand your point. I fully realize the point of deliberations. My point is there are ambivalent/passive jurors who don’t engage in substantive deliberations. If you just sit there and don’t have meaningful input and once you see the wind blowing in a certain direction and you feel “pressured” to vote one way I don’t think your ambivalence is enough to warrant a new trial after the fact. Juror Z, I speculate, is such a juror and now she’s saying she was influenced by BH because she felt “pressured” to vote guilty in general. JMO
Understand.

I had a lunch appointment so I just caught up with the ruling. I was avoiding this thread cause I didn’t want to see spoilers.

I had a feeling like many others, I think, that Justice Toal was not going to grant a new trial. I think she adequately described the Becky Hill issue. This was a woman who got caught up in the media hype and forgot her duty! But I don’t think she changed the verdict at all! There are always jurors who are ambivalent - that’s been my experience as a juror as well. I’ve seen lawyers talk about these type of jurors. The fact that Juror Z said she was “pressured” by other jurors gives her away as this type of juror. I guarantee you if you questioned the jury I was on, 1 or 3 would say the same. But they were the passive jurors. They were apathetic and didn’t have sound reasoning for their hemming and hawing. They are ready to blow in the direction of the strongest wind and that’s why that juror said she was influenced. If we go back and question jurors and grant new trials based on these passive and ambivalent jurors, the system would break!

I hope the verdict stands and isn’t reversed on appeal.

Becky Hill lied her behind off on that stand!! I was shocked she made a 100k off that book! That’s a lot of money imo.

JMO
Very good summation of jurors who can be easily persuaded. I must admit that I have persuaded a few jurors while serving on the jury. LOL

"I simply do not believe that the authority of our South Carolina Supreme Court requires a new trial in a very lengthy trial such as this on the strength of some fleeting and foolish comments by a publicity influenced clerk of courts," the judge, a retired justice on the state's high court, said

The State Law Enforcement Division confirmed Jan. 31 it is still investigating Hill’s interactions with the jury. The agency is also still probing whether Hill used her office for personal gain. The conclusion of Toal’s hearing “does not change the status of SLED’s investigations,” which are still “active and ongoing,” spokeswoman Renee Wunderlich said.

Separately, her cellphone was seized as part of a SLED investigation into her son, Jeffrey Hill, who was Colleton County’s IT director. The phone was taken the same November day that Jeffrey Hill was charged with one count of wiretapping.

And more than Toal’s conclusions, the findings of the law enforcement investigations could determine whether Hill will be allowed to stay in office in the near term. Under state law, the governor can only suspend elected officials if they’re charged with a crime.
In the long term, Hill’s future in office rests with Colleton County’s voters, who could weigh in as early as the state’s June 11 primaries, if she chooses to run again.

So far, no candidates have publicly announced plans to challenge Hill. The chair of the Colleton County GOP did not respond to requests for comment about whether the county party would support the sitting clerk.

And the county’s Democrats have yet to find a challenger from their ranks, said Clarence Wiggins, the chair of the Colleton County Democratic Party. But party leaders are actively recruiting candidates and mentioning the clerk election at every party meeting.

“We are putting it out every day,” Wiggins said.

If anyone plans to challenge Hill, they will have to say so soon. Candidates will begin filing for office in mid-March before an April 1 deadline.

Hill, for her part, has not said if she will run again.

She didn’t respond to requests for comment from The Post and Courier, and her attorney, Justin Bamberg, declined to discuss her situation.

The State Law Enforcement Division confirmed Jan. 31 it is still investigating Hill’s interactions with the jury. The agency is also still probing whether Hill used her office for personal gain. The conclusion of Toal’s hearing “does not change the status of SLED’s investigations,” which are still “active and ongoing,” spokeswoman Renee Wunderlich said.

Separately, her cellphone was seized as part of a SLED investigation into her son, Jeffrey Hill, who was Colleton County’s IT director. The phone was taken the same November day that Jeffrey Hill was charged with one count of wiretapping.

And more than Toal’s conclusions, the findings of the law enforcement investigations could determine whether Hill will be allowed to stay in office in the near term. Under state law, the governor can only suspend elected officials if they’re charged with a crime.
In the long term, Hill’s future in office rests with Colleton County’s voters, who could weigh in as early as the state’s June 11 primaries, if she chooses to run again.

So far, no candidates have publicly announced plans to challenge Hill. The chair of the Colleton County GOP did not respond to requests for comment about whether the county party would support the sitting clerk.

And the county’s Democrats have yet to find a challenger from their ranks, said Clarence Wiggins, the chair of the Colleton County Democratic Party. But party leaders are actively recruiting candidates and mentioning the clerk election at every party meeting.

“We are putting it out every day,” Wiggins said.

If anyone plans to challenge Hill, they will have to say so soon. Candidates will begin filing for office in mid-March before an April 1 deadline.

Hill, for her part, has not said if she will run again.

She didn’t respond to requests for comment from The Post and Courier, and her attorney, Justin Bamberg, declined to discuss her situation.
BH needs to go sit down somewhere and be quiet. I'd be to ashamed of my actions to even show my face in that Courtroom again, let alone as Clerk of Court.

MOO

Woohoo! Sorry not sorry, Looks like AM's gonna have to file some more appeals and spend some more of that hard stolen cash. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Edit to Add: Judge Toal for President, she gets stuff DONE!

MOO
I hope every night when AM tires of acting like he’s innocent, lays down in his cell next to his stainless steel loo & stack of appeal law books ..he is haunted.

JMO

I don't know I think on appeal he gets a new trial..it's just way too messy....the whole thing. mOO

Yes, it is messy. But that doesn’t negate AM’s actions in shooting his son and gunning down his wife. In her back. After she saw him shoot their son.

They even went so far to say---side eyed snickering--- that they have evidence of another murderer for the new trial.

We should take bets: The bushy haired stranger? The one-armed man? OJ?

Except no one would bet on anyone else. If you watched the trial, you know AM is guilty.

Except maybe

Please go read the trial transcripts like Judge Toal or watch the trial videos. Real evidence was found, presented, and shows him to be the murderer. Judge Toal said so, twelve jurors deliberated so, and I, too, believe he is guilty of murdering his own family members.

But don’t take my word for it, go see for yourself.

Yes, I believe much of the same. And if I remember correctly, didn’t the convicted defendant want his wife to be there that evening as well? It also could have been the case that she wanted to settle or resolve the son’s boat crash lawsuit. But with the financial house of cards AM had created, the defendant didn’t want that to come light or fruition. MOO
It really forces you to remember the horror
in that trial. All of it. He’s really a monster.

I think it’s ironic that the 3 employees
tasked with care giving & housekeeping of the Murdaughs ultimately, bravely(and
posthumously)exposed AM.
Shelly Smith
Blanca Turrubiate-Simpson
Gloria Satterfield

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics