GUILTY SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, thought she was getting into Uber, 29 Mar 2019 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well this is interesting.
Nathaniel Rowland linked to a 2018 kidnapping and burglary.
Records: Man charged in Samantha Josephson death linked to 2018 kidnapping, burglary

Interesting.

I also find it of interest the thought is he was driving and someone in the back seat held her down.

And apparently it was pled down or not thought there was enough proof? It is kind of unclear.

Or maybe it was claimed he was passed out a party...

And this was not that long ago...

Interesting.

I also find it of interest the thought is he was driving and someone in the back seat held her down.

And apparently it was pled down or not thought there was enough proof? It is kind of unclear.

Or maybe it was claimed he was passed out a party...

And this was not that long ago...

I didn't notice the two incident reports the first time I viewed that article. Maybe they were added or maybe I overlooked. Anyway, it sort of looks like the victim of the carjacking did not know and could not identify who carjacked her. JMOO

ETA - Also of note is the incident occurred at 00:00 am on a Friday morning and the victim had used alcohol. Not victim blaming, just an observation. Per the article, the carjacking occurred on Hickory Street, which is in Rosewood close to S. Beltline Blvd.

I didn't notice the two incident reports the first time I viewed that article. Maybe they were added or maybe I overlooked. Anyway, it sort of looks like the victim of the carjacking did not know and could not identify who carjacked her. JMOO

Nope, they were just added. I have the original pulled up because I have been waiting for additional corrections ;)

ETA - Also of note is the incident occurred at 00:00 am on a Friday morning and the victim had used alcohol. Not victim blaming, just an observation. Per the article, the carjacking occurred on Hickory Street, which is in Rosewood close to S. Beltline Blvd.

Yes, I noted it sounded like she could not identify the driver for certain. I noted the area as well. I did not note the time or think to. It is quite interesting--while it cannot probably be used in that he was not clearly identified, he is tied in with the property and it, at least to me, adds a chance of a likelihood he has "kidnapped" before and not too many months prior, late at night and in Columbia...

This is just my opinion but, she was violently carjacked by two grown men, threatened, had her family and pets threatened, pinned down in her back seat by one of those men, robbed and had her home invaded by them and adding to that, they knew exactly where she lived.
Since this situation must have been absolutely horrible for her, she could have been terrified that they would come back and retaliate, if she identified either one if them.
She must have been scared for her life, and maybe just wanted to forget it.

Bittersweet.

Student, 21, Murdered After Mistaking Car for Her Uber Is Granted Posthumous Degree

Samantha Josephson, the 21-year-old killed after getting into a car she believed was an Uber, will be awarded a posthumous degree from the University of South Carolina.

University spokesman Jeff Stensland announced the plans in a Tuesday interview with The State.

Josephson, who was from Robbinsville Township, New Jersey, was in her junior year at the time of her death. She was majoring in political science with aspirations of becoming a lawyer, the school's College of Arts and Sciences said.

Her parents will attend Josephson’s would-be graduation, USC President Harris Pastides said, according to the Aiken Standard, adding that she had been accepted by Drexel University’s School of Law on a full-ride scholarship.

Great site. Thanks for all the insights. I have noted the following about the Josephson case.

1. The mug shot of NR does not reveal any injury or marks on his face and neck. Just as many others have speculated, the victim would have likely fought back IMO. I'm not saying this is absolute proof of anything. But it could could suggest NR's innocence, or it could indicate the active involvement of a third person with NR. Other support of the 3rd person theory comes from his previous involvement in a crime of kidnapping that was carried out by two other persons (his involvement was pawning victim's property after the fact). He knows other criminals.

2. Much has been made of NR's return to the Five Point area, where he was stopped and detained by police the day following the abduction and murder. Although this could very well indicate a plan to commit the same or a similar crime as the one he believed he had succeeded in pulling off earlier, it may also be explained as the criminal's irresistible urge to return to the scene of the crime. Dostoyevsky described this phenomenon back in the mid 1800's in the novel, "Crime and Punishment". This phenomenon has been known and observed for many years. Only saying, it could be nothing more than that. That, of course, is indicative of his guilt as much as the other explanations given.

3. Many have mentioned NR's child and the child's mother. He has never been described as a father, as far a I have seen. People are making this assumption due to the presence of a child seat in the car. Earlier in the case, it was mentioned that his FB entries have referenced a child, but this was a niece or nephew, not his own child.

4. Victim found fully clothed? From what I have seen and heard on this case, I believe the victim's body was fully clothed when found. This inference is made from the fact that the body was readily identified as being the victim by the matching of the clothing on the body found with that of clothing the victim was known to have been wearing. This is strong evidence in my mind that there was not a rape. Granting there is still much to be revealed about the condition of the body found, but if she was wearing her bottoms, it is unlikely she had been re-clothed, so to speak.

I'm so grateful for the discovery of the body, a most unlikely event given the circumstances.

Great site. Thanks for all the insights. I have noted the following about the Josephson case.

1. The mug shot of NR does not reveal any injury or marks on his face and neck. Just as many others have speculated, the victim would have likely fought back IMO. I'm not saying this is absolute proof of anything. But it could could suggest NR's innocence, or it could indicate the active involvement of a third person with NR. Other support of the 3rd person theory comes from his previous involvement in a crime of kidnapping that was carried out by two other persons (his involvement was pawning victim's property after the fact). He knows other criminals.

2. Much has been made of NR's return to the Five Point area, where he was stopped and detained by police the day following the abduction and murder. Although this could very well indicate a plan to commit the same or a similar crime as the one he believed he had succeeded in pulling off earlier, it may also be explained as the criminal's irresistible urge to return to the scene of the crime. Dostoyevsky described this phenomenon back in the mid 1800's in the novel, "Crime and Punishment". This phenomenon has been known and observed for many years. Only saying, it could be nothing more than that. That, of course, is indicative of his guilt as much as the other explanations given.

3. Many have mentioned NR's child and the child's mother. He has never been described as a father, as far a I have seen. People are making this assumption due to the presence of a child seat in the car. Earlier in the case, it was mentioned that his FB entries have referenced a child, but this was a niece or nephew, not his own child.

4. Victim found fully clothed? From what I have seen and heard on this case, I believe the victim's body was fully clothed when found. This inference is made from the fact that the body was readily identified as being the victim by the matching of the clothing on the body found with that of clothing the victim was known to have been wearing. This is strong evidence in my mind that there was not a rape. Granting there is still much to be revealed about the condition of the body found, but if she was wearing her bottoms, it is unlikely she had been re-clothed, so to speak.

I'm so grateful for the discovery of the body, a most unlikely event given the circumstances.

Great post and very well though out.

I myself in number one lean towards the 3rd person theory or he somehow got control of her before she could fight back, or at least reach his face.

Number two, without a doubt. I even thought perhaps if he had not heard anything, did not know if she was reported missing, found, etc., he went back towards the area to see what was going on, hear what was being said, etc.

Number three, yes, I do not think a child has ever been confirmed and no one mentions it much anymore. There was, however, a car seat and he has been pictured with a child allegedly on FB. Could be his, may not be, no idea.

Number four has me thrown. I may be forgetting details from following a few cases, but I do not recall it ever being said she was fully clothed was it? I am not saying it is not true, I just did not know that was a fact or I forgot it.

"Number four has me thrown. I may be forgetting details from following a few cases, but I do not recall it ever being said she was fully clothed was it? I am not saying it is not true, I just did not know that was a fact or I forgot it."

Thanks for the reply. "...I believe the victim's body was fully clothed when found..." It's only a belief on my part, and I was looking for feedback on the speculation. To be more specific about this, here is the reason I formed this belief. When this tragedy first came to my attention, I was reading everything I could find about it, and I also came across the rather long, detailed statement by the police chief, which was out there on a video. When I watched that video, this was all still new to me, and so I simply listened and accepted his descriptions of the situation.

Thinking about this yesterday, I remembered the impression I had when he described the discovery of the body in a separate county and then the fairly rapid conclusion that the body was Miss Josephson's, the missing person from Colombia. This can be confirmed from a review of the video, but I've been too lazy to do that. So, going only on how I remember it, he said something which I will paraphrase. He indicated that the identification of the body had been in part based on the description of the victim's clothing ("...the orange top and dark pants she was wearing...") That's my recollection of his statement. I remember that he mentioned both the top and the bottom articles of clothing, and those were the images formed in my mind as I listened.

So, while thinking about all this yesterday, it hit me that the body was wearing both top and bottom, and this translated into "fully clothed." Those were not his words but rather what his words implied. Insomuch as there have been repeated questions about whether there is a sexual aspect to this crime, which we normally see in crimes of this nature, the fully clothed aspect carries some significance. It indicates that this was not a sexually motivated crime. That leaves either a serial killer desire simply to kill for the thrill of it, or there was an intention to obtain something of value (i.e., robbery). That of course recalls the motive in the previous kidnapping in which NR was involved.

I can't say this is a fact, but that was my clear understanding of what the police chief said. He was not speaking to affirm that particular fact, but that conclusion was reasonable from what he did say. I may be wrong on this, so I'm looking for feedback or for a different translation of what he implied.
Of course we are all speculating on how this evolved into such a brutal killing. Miss Josephson was probably not so submissive as other victims, and she may have threatened prosecution and jail for these thugs as she screamed and fought back. We are dealing with very low IQ individuals here, and their impulse was to silence the potential witness forever.

Last edited:
"Number four has me thrown. I may be forgetting details from following a few cases, but I do not recall it ever being said she was fully clothed was it? I am not saying it is not true, I just did not know that was a fact or I forgot it."

Thanks for the reply. "...I believe the victim's body was fully clothed when found..." It's only a belief on my part, and I was looking for feedback on the speculation. To be more specific about this, here is the reason I formed this belief. When this tragedy first came to my attention, I was reading everything I could find about it, and I also came across the rather long, detailed statement by the police chief, which was out there on a video. When I watched that video, this was all still new to me, and so I simply listened and accepted his descriptions of the situation.

Thinking about this yesterday, I remembered the impression I had when he described the discovery of the body in a separate county and then the fairly rapid conclusion that the body was Miss Josephson's, the missing person from Colombia. This can be confirmed from a review of the video, but I've been too lazy to do that. So, going only on how I remember it, he said something which I will paraphrase. He indicated that the identification of the body had been in part based on the description of the victim's clothing ("...the orange top and dark pants she was wearing...") That's my recollection of his statement. I remember that he mentioned both the top and the bottom articles of clothing, and those were the images formed in my mind as I listened.

So, while thinking about all this yesterday, it hit me that the body was wearing both top and bottom, and this translated into "fully clothed." Those were not his words but rather what his words implied. Insomuch as there have been repeated questions about whether there is a sexual aspect to this crime, which we normally see in crimes of this nature, the fully clothed aspect carries some significance. It indicates that this was not a sexually motivated crime. That leaves either a serial killer desire simply to kill for the thrill of it, or there was an intention to obtain something of value (i.e., robbery). That of course recalls the motive in the previous kidnapping in which NR was involved.

I can't say this is a fact, but that was my clear understanding of what the police chief said. He was not speaking to affirm that particular fact, but that conclusion was reasonable from what he did say. I may be wrong on this, so I'm looking for feedback or for a different translation of what he implied.

Of course we are all speculating on how this evolved into such a brutal killing. Miss Josephson was probably not so submissive as other victims, and she may have threatened prosecution and jail for these thugs as she screamed and fought back. We are dealing with very low IQ individuals here, and their impulse was to silence the potential witness forever.

I see what you are saying and very logically put together. I do not remember the mention of the clothing at all but that is not surprising.

The only other possibility there then that I can think of is if he assaulted her after getting to the rural location and the clothes were near her, torn or partly on. However, in his other crime that it looks like he may have been involved in with a friend, no SA was mentioned so what you have concluded is probably more likely.

Afterthought

Wasn't there blood found in the front passenger area? There is really no conceivable scenario in which she would have ridden in the front seat, bloody. So, that blood came from the backseat killer, who rode shotgun on the way to the dumping spot.

Afterthought

Wasn't there blood found in the front passenger area? There is really no conceivable scenario in which she would have ridden in the front seat, bloody. So, that blood came from the backseat killer, who rode shotgun on the way to the dumping spot.

IIRC, there was never any statement made that blood was found in the front passenger area. Please provide a link to that info if you have one. I believe the term 'passenger compartment' was used, and many people opined that term could refer to any interior part of the automobile, and not one specific area. Likewise, I do not believe that anything has been stated by authorities that would indicate that they believe a third person was present in the car the night Samantha was murdered (though some people have stated they think they see another person, most likely female, in the front seat, in the camera footage shown. I believe this is possibly a case of pareidolia, when someone sees something basically because they want to, or because someone suggests there is something there). JMO

Last edited:
Afterthought

if he had a weapon(?), bloody clothing, anything belonging to the victim (he had her phone), he could have gotten blood anywhere in the car including the passenger seat IMO. This new information does make me think about his Facebook post about doing something without another person. And (this is really speculating) if he had her keys- she would have had keys to an apartment? that would have given him a reason to return to the area and maybe he wanted help taking items from her home (speculating).

Last edited:
Afterthought

The LE comment was that "blood was found in the passenger area"

We here on WS have hashed and re-hashed this comment.

My interpretation (MOO) is that any of the interior of the vehicle is the "passenger area". As opposed to under the hood, in the trunk, on the outside of the vehicle.

I do not believe ( MOO) that it specifically means the front passenger seat. I believe it is only a general area comment and could even cover the driver' seat as well as the front passenger seat and the back seat and floors, as well as the dashboard and rear window ledge. Perhaps they should have used the term "interior". Personally (MOO) I believe it was in the back seat and almost certainly on the driver's seat as he got back in the vehicle with bloody clothes on. ( assuming he didn't remove his bloody clothing and drive unclothed to a local home to clean up and change clothes) - but again, this last bit is speculation on my part, too.

I do not believe ( MOO) that it means there was someone sitting in the front passenger seat with blood on them, therefore there was a third person involved.

I think we have to be very careful not to over-interpret what LE is just only going to outline for us. Perhaps at the court hearing on April 22 we will be given more specific information.

if he had a weapon(?), bloody clothing, anything belonging to the victim (he had her phone), he could have gotten blood anywhere in the car including the passenger seat IMO. This new information does make me think about his Facebook post about doing something without another person. And (this is really speculating) if he had her keys- she would have had keys to an apartment? that would have given him a reason to return to the area and maybe he wanted help taking items from her home (speculating).

Oh. Good thought acutename! He's a thief and has pawned goods stolen in a violent assault before.

Perhaps the woman in the car at 3 am was an accomplice who was going to go to the apartment to scout it out first, without attracting as much notice as if a man showed up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serge
Back