GUILTY SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, thought she was getting into Uber, 29 Mar 2019 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow! Trial scheduled for next week! I followed this case closely for awhile, then it seemed to drop off the earth. Playing catchup now....does anyone know if a local station will live stream? Thanks!

JUL 16, 2021
Trial set to begin for man accused of killing former USC student | WCIV (abcnews4.com)
The man facing murder and kidnapping charges in the death of Samantha Josephson is set to be in court on Monday.

[...]

According to police, Josephson's phone was found in the back of Rowland's car, along with blood linking him to Josephson.

[...]

‘Straight out of a horror film’: ‘Fake Uber’ murder trial of slain USC student to begin
  • The trial is expected to last a week or more.
  • State Judge Clifton Newman, a trial judge with 21 years on the bench, will preside.
  • Prosecutors include Fifth Circuit Solicitor Byron Gipson, Dan Goldberg, April Sampson and Amanda Gaston.
  • Attorneys from the Richland County Public Defenders office will represent Rowland. They are Tracy Pinnock, Alicia Goode and Robert Pillinger.
  • Jury selection will begin Monday.

@Niner . Not sure of Standard Operating Procedure, but thought I'd alert you on this trial scheduled to begin July 19, 2021, in event you want to include in your upcoming trials thread.

I haven't been following this case - but I see that it has only 2 threads - so I'll catch up over the weekend & put some stuff together.
Let's see I can't access any S.C. court sites - so hopefully, someone here can! :)

@LawCrimeNetwork
·
Jul 16

NEW LIVE TRIAL on
@LawCrimeNetwork
: SC v. Nathaniel Rowland. Rowland is accused of killing 21-yr-old Samantha Josephson. Josephson was waiting for an Uber and prosecutors say she got into Rowland's car thinking it was her Uber. Jury selection is set to begin Monday, July 19t

@cathyrusson

·
Jul 16
#FakeUberMurderTrial - Very important trial starting Monday. #WhatsMyName. Samantha Josephson got into what she thought was her Uber after a night out. She was found dead w/30 stab wounds. Nathaniel Rowland is accused of posing as her Uber driver, kidnapping/killing her.

Last edited:
This is what I "collected" this past weekend - and will shorten it up after this post.

Monday, July 19th:
*Trial set to begin (@ am ET) - SC - Samantha "Sami" Josephson (21) (last seen on video March 29, 2019 @ ~1:30am, Columbia, found Friday (3/29/21) afternoon in a rural area by turkey hunters in a field near a wooded area about 40 feet off a dirt road along Black Bottom Road close to the town of New Zion in Clarendon County) - *Nathaniel David Rowland (24/now 27) arrested & charged (3/30/19) & indicted (4/18/19) with murder, kidnapping, possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, refusal to stop for police command, & possession of 28g or less of marijuana. Plead not guilty. Bond denied.
Trial set to begin 7/19/21 with jury selection.
Josephson was last seen by friends between 1:30am & 2am this morning, 3/29/21 on the 700 block of Harden Street. Shortly after 2am, Josephson was seen on surveillance video getting into a dark (black) vehicle, possibly a newer model (2017) Chevy Impala. Friends said to have gotten into a car shortly after 2am. EDT but “then her Uber was cancelled.” Her phone was tracked to a house in the Rosewood (neighborhood) but she wasn’t there when (her) friends checked in,” the friend told us. When she didn’t show up at her downtown residence & didn’t answer repeated phone calls, her friends became concerned & notified CPD,” police said in a statement.

3/30/19: At a press conference Saturday evening, Columbia Police Chief Skip Holbrook said that 25-year-old Nathaniel David Rowland had been charged after a joint investigation by the Clarendon County Sheriff's Office, South Carolina Law Enforcement Division and Columbia police. Just before 4 p.m. Friday, Clarendon County sheriff's deputies responded to a report of a body found in a rural area. Turkey hunters found the body in field near a wooded area about 40 feet off a dirt road. Josephson’s blood was found in the back seat & trunk of the Impala as well as her cell phone found in the passenger compartment.
3/31/19 Update: At a hearing on March 31 at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center in Columbia, Rowland exercised his right not to be present & the judge said his bond hearing would take place at a later date (4/22/19) in General Sessions Court. Rowland is still being held at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center & has not been offered bond.
4/22/19 Update: Rowland had been scheduled to appear in General Sessions Court at 9am at the Richland County Judicial Center in Columbia. It was pushed back indefinitely. A preliminary hearing on 5/9/19.
4/18/19 Update: Richland County Grand jury indicted Rowland for murder, kidnapping, refusal to stop for police command, possession of 28g or less of marijuana, and possession of a weapon during a violent crime.
6/11/20 Update: Video conference. Richland County Judge DeAndrea G. Benjamin said she denied Nathaniel Rowland’s request for bond because he could be considered a danger to society. Tracy Pinnock, the public defender represents Rowland. The prosecution presented a pile of evidence stacked up against Rowland, including: Samantha’s blood and hair found in his car. Rowland seen on video using Samantha’s debit card and attempting to sell her phone in the hours after her death. Samantha’s blood found on his clothes that he was seen wearing on the night of her murder. The murder weapon was found at a home Rowland had visited that evening. Cleaning products and rubber gloves found at his home. Child safety lock was on in the car he was driving. Video showed Samantha getting into Rowland’s black Chevy Impala. Cell phone evidence tracked Rowland and Josephson’s phones in the same locations, including where the body was located. Detectives also found a footprint in the car on the window belonging to Samantha — evidence showing she fought for her life in her last moments.
4/20/21 Update: On Thursday, 5th Circuit Solicitor Byron Gipson told the State that Rowland’s trial is tentatively scheduled to start in a Richland County courtroom on July 19. The trial is expected to last a week or more. State Judge Clifton Newman, a trial judge with 21 years on the bench, will preside. Prosecutors include Fifth Circuit Solicitor Byron Gipson, Dan Goldberg, April Sampson & Amanda Gaston. Attorneys from the Richland County Public Defender’s office will represent Rowland. They are Tracy Pinnock, Alicia Goode & Robert Pillinger. Jury selection will begin Monday, 7/19/21.

JUL 19, 2021
Jury selection begins for the man accused of kidnapping and killing former UofSC student (wistv.com)
Jury selection begins Monday in the trial of the man accused of kidnapping and killing former University of South Carolina student Samantha Josephson.

Man on trial for murder of USC student in mistaken rideshare - Court TV
A motive isn’t clear, although it was revealed during Rowland’s June 2020, bond hearing that Josephson’s debit card was used twice following her disappearance, and someone attempted to sell her cell phone to a store for $300.

JUL 18, 2021
Samantha Josephson killing: man charged with murder goes on trial | wltx.com
"I have been numb and miserable since March 29, 2019," SM said during a June 2020 bond hearing for Rowland. "I lost my baby. I lost the opportunity to see her graduate from college. I lost the opportunity to see her walk out of law school and change the world. I lost so much."

Trial starting Monday in killing of USC student who hopped into supposed Uber ride
Suspect won’t face death penalty
A jury could hear gruesome details in Josephson’s death.

Josephson’s mother said during the emotional bond hearing in 2020 that her daughter had been stabbed more than 30 times and was unrecognizable when her parents tried to identify her body.

But the 5th Circuit Solicitor’s Office confirmed it’s not seeking the death penalty against Rowland. Murder convictions and guilty pleas in South Carolina carry a sentence of 30 years to life.

A death penalty trial would have required formal notice of prosecutors’ intent, former prosecutors noted. Death penalty cases are much more time-consuming and costly to taxpayers who provide a defendant’s defense through a myriad of appeals, they said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back