GUILTY SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, thought she was getting into Uber, 29 Mar 2019 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Could someone explain a legal issue with this case? The defense wanted to exclude the body cam footage during the stop of Roland's vehicle. A legal commentator on the case said the police officer who stopped Rowland's vehicle did so without probable cause. But, the judge allowed it despite the Fourth Amendment violation. How did the police officer not have probable cause? He had received a BOLO alert for a late model black Chevrolet Impala, which is what Roland is driving. Call me confused about this.
Saw that police video of apprehension. The police did have probable cause. I think the commentator was mistaken. Just my opinion. I am not a legal expert.

@StephenFastenau
·
1h
Day 2 of Nathaniel Rowland’s murder trial, DNR officer Bubba Morris describing how he was called by turkey hunters who thought they found a body off of a dirt road in the community of New Zion. Morris said he lives across the road from the Rowland family.

@StephenFastenau
Morris said he regularly checks a cut-through road for young people who pull off to drink or smoke, or for illegally dumped trash. Defense in its opening statement had mentioned beer cans and cigarette butts in the area Josephson’s body was found.

@StephenFastenau
43m
Defense objects to prosecution plan to show body cam and dash cam footage of officers stopping Nathaniel Rowland as hearsay, because of numerous officers heard talking in portions of the video. Judge Clifton Newman said he will allow the video with background talk redacted.
@StephenFastenau
18m
Jury seeing camera footage of Rowland being stopped after turning the wrong way down Saluda Avenue near Five Points. Officer asks Rowland who has been smoking marijuana and asks him to step out of vehicle. Rowland steps out and takes off running shortly after.

11m
@StephenFastenau
Officer Jeffrey Kraft testifies he saw large quantities of blood, footprints on window, cleaning supplies in the Impala that Rowland was driving.
@StephenFastenau
7m
Kraft pulled a set of keys with a pink key ring and rose gold iPhone from Rowland’s car, he said and body cam video showed.

Last edited:
Could someone explain a legal issue with this case? The defense wanted to exclude the body cam footage during the stop of Roland's vehicle. A legal commentator on the case said the police officer who stopped Rowland's vehicle did so without probable cause. But, the judge allowed it despite the Fourth Amendment violation. How did the police officer not have probable cause? He had received a BOLO alert for a late model black Chevrolet Impala, which is what Roland is driving. Call me confused about this.

My understanding was that the question of probable cause was ruled on pre-trial. The judge ruled they did have probable cause to stop his car due to the BOLO.
That would make sense to me. Why be on the look out for something if you aren’t going to act on it, or ignore it if you see it?

That video of him running off was pretty telling.

I am unfamiliar with this case, so kind of watching this like a jury would, I guess.

…but of course I’ll read up more, already have

Wow, just beginning from the start of the YouTube and the judge is stating best that jurors not ask questions, as if so, the juror would be participating in the interrogations and that the jurors should just listen. Do not ask question.

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTH!

I guess this isn't a state which allows such. But for judge to state such... wow.

Wow, just beginning from the start of the YouTube and the judge is stating best that jurors not ask questions, as if so, the juror would be participating in the interrogations and that the jurors should just listen. Do not ask question.

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTH!

I guess this isn't a state which allows such. But for judge to state such... wow.
Judge conferred with both defense and prosecuting attorneys before disallowing jury questions. Judges are the bosses of the courtroom.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back