SC - Todd Kohlhepp, known and possible victims

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
(This article has conflicting info on his injuries. Worth noting I think.)
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-26-3949637676_x.htm

"A preliminary autopsy concluded Gerwing bled to death from multiple cuts, mostly from gashes on both sides of his neck and a slashed artery in his left forearm. He also slashed his inner right thigh.Police found a serrated steak knife in the bathtub next to Gerwing's body.
The reports said Gerwing left two suicide notes: one on a bedsheet, the other on both sides of a sheet of paper found in the bloody bathroom with his naked body."

This following link has many links to the Calvert investigation including the suicide (About midway down the page) I hope it's okay to link to this. If not mods feel free to remove it. It just has a ton of info regarding the case. Also noted that the boat the Yellow Jacket that they lived on part of the time IS NOT missing and their car has been found with no signs of a confrontation. They did own a plane and it is not missing.

(MAIN LINK)
http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/ar/t29830.htm

"Gerwing, the only name so far linked to the disappearance of John and Elizabeth Calvert, died last week in what local authorities call an apparent suicide. Heslashed his inner thigh with a knife, presumably severing the femoral artery, and bled to death behind the locked bathroom door of a Sea Pines villa across the street from his office. His body also had stab wounds to the chest, a law enforcement source told The State newspaper in Columbia last week.

The State's sources confirmed that Gerwing's death is being treated as a suicide, but acknowledge that the circumstances were odd. "

"But Tanner on Monday refused to say whether a knife was found in the locked bathroom with Gerwing. The initial Sheriff's Office incident report on the death lists the weapon used as "unknown." Interesting!!! Where could the knife be?

"Dr. Werner Spitz, a Michigan forensic pathologist who's testified in several high-profile cases including the Phil Spector murder trial, and served on a Congressional committee that reviewed the autopsy of President John F. Kennedy, said he's never seen a suicide caused by cutting the inner thigh in his more than 50 years of experience. That kind of wound is more often associated with homicide or accident victims, he said.

"That's kind of an unusual place," he said. Spitz, however, said it was impossible to be certain without seeing the body. "
http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/story/256923.html (link is no longer there btw but wanted to put the source it came from)

Interesting quote also is that he had written 2 suicide notes. ONE was on a BED SHEET!?

"The Sheriff's Office continues to await an analysis of Gerwing's suicide notes, one of which was written on a bed sheet and was described in sheriff's reports as illegible, according to Tanner."
also interesting ...
"Gibus said John and Elizabeth Calvert are understanding people. They would have allowed Gerwing to repay them if he had taken any money, he said.

So there must be another reason he killed himself, some have suggested.

"You don't kill yourself over a couple hundred thousand dollars of embezzlement or even a million dollars of embezzlement," Pellicci said. "It's just bizarre. It doesn't make sense."

Finances aside, Pellicci doesn't believe Gerwing would be physically capable of killing two people and disposing of their bodies without help."

More conflicting info:
"Gerwing, a gourmet and world traveler, was found dead in the blood-spattered bathroom of a condo he had moved to after his home, cars and office were searched by deputies and the FBI. He slashed his inner thigh, wrist and both sides of his neck, severing the femoral artery and both jugular veins. His body was found in the bathtub next to a serrated steak knife."
http://www.thestate.com/local/story/401522.html (link no longer works but giving link. One the main link all the articles are archived. )
"Gerwing drank a bottle of wine before his death and had blood pressure medication in his system, but no other drugs that would explain the incoherent notes or grisly manner of death, Tanner said. "
He stole money from 8 people not just the Calvert's and there was already a plan to pay back the money. There was no need to commit suicide.
He was thinking of selling his home and had spoke to "a" real estate agent. Curious who this agent is...

"But Gerwing, 54, apparently had some financial pressures. In 1994, he formed Harbour Tours, Ltd., but it was in forfeiture two years later, according to state records. In the past six weeks, he became "more motivated to sell" his Columbia home, a real estate agent told The State. It was listed at $1.245 million."

So I'm not sure how he used he knife to kill himself and the whether the knife was really found or not.
He was also found in the tub with a comforter and pillow. The illegible rambling in both notes on a sheet of paper and a fitted sheet doesn't make any sense.
Personally..... this stinks of TK. It's mentioned on the main link that they weren't sure he didn't have an accomplice either. Hmmm.

Real estate was in trouble during those years and I just can't see how TK, a parolee, could make money so fast.
He had to be into other things possibly illegal ways. TK was very smart and could obviously be persuasive when he wanted to be.
He very well could have come in contact with them either getting their pilots license or from meeting them at flying school, he made a connection for Real Estate business with them and maybe helped buyers look in that area for homes working with the Calvert's.
Just some thoughts and things I found while researching this case.
I do think they are TK victims possibly. I can actually see TK keeping him nude in the bathtub with the comforter and pillow until he wrote the note. When he refused to say he killed the couple, TK killed him and made it look like a suicide. JMOO

One thing I'm stuck on is that it wouldn't make sense for him to give up all his victims just to give his picture to his Mom and money to some kid, etc. I think he wants to hide some victims so he can use them as bargaining chips later on. So this could be additional bodies on the property, or earlier murders... I mean, he doesn't care about the victims, he will use them to continue to get what he wants. He could also have multiple social media accounts under aliases. JMO.

tlcya said:
His mother says he told her there are no more bodies on the property and there is nothing else she needs to worry about. His mother does not say he told me he has not killed anyone else. An interesting distinction IMO.

Yes, just that there's no others at that particular property...and/or nothing that SHE personally needs to worry about (which makes me wonder if the superbike ones were ones that HE knew she WAS worried about, even before the thought of them came to her whilst praying)

Yes, just that there's no others at that particular property...and/or nothing that SHE personally needs to worry about (which makes me wonder if the superbike ones were ones that HE knew she WAS worried about, even before the thought of them came to her whilst praying)

Can she be arrested for knowing he did the bike murders and not reporting it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something like perverting the course of justice I imagine at the least. But of course they'd need to be able to prove that she knew. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during the meeting with her that he demanded before confessing, looking out for any coded conversations.

If she did know, I would think she could be held for accessory after the fact.

If she did know, I would think she could be held for accessory after the fact.

Accessory after the fact involves someone who aids and abets the person who committed the murder. That would involve burying a body, cleaning up the crime scene, providing a false alibi, or dumping the murder weapon in a river.

I doubt if that happened here.

On the CBS 48 Hour special tonight Melissa Ponder (Widow of Scott Ponder, superbike victim) said police told her that TK had confessed to them that he killed someone in AZ

Accessory after the fact involves someone who aids and abets the person who committed the murder. That would involve burying a body, cleaning up the crime scene, providing a false alibi, or dumping the murder weapon in a river.

I doubt if that happened here.
An accessory after the fact is someone who knows that a crime has occurred but nonetheless helps to conceal it. Today, this action is often termed obstructing justice or harboring a fugitive.

Cornell University Law School:
Someone who assists another 1) who has committed a felony, 2) after the person has committed the felony, 3) with knowledge that the person committed the felony, and 4) with the intent to help the person avoid arrest or punishment. An accessory after the fact may be held liable for, inter alia, obstruction of justice.

One thing that we have to remember...

TK DID NOT COMMIT EVERY UNSOLVED MURDER/DISAPPEARANCE IN SC/NC/GA!!!

While there are several within reason (Near Spartanburg/Greenville) which most definitely must be looked at, we cannot and should not begin adding every unsolved murder/disappearance to the list of possible TK victims. I fear there will be a flood of unnecessary activity which will draw LE away from actual victims/cases. It's a slippery slope we stand on when it comes to a serial killer/mass murderer, lets not jump off the deep end so to speak.

While there are several within reason (Near Spartanburg/Greenville) which most definitely must be looked at, we cannot and should not begin adding every unsolved murder/disappearance to the list of possible TK victims. I fear there will be a flood of unnecessary activity which will draw LE away from actual victims/cases. It's a slippery slope we stand on when it comes to a serial killer/mass murderer, lets not jump off the deep end so to speak.

This guy is infamous now though. I think they should be added to the list of possibles. This guy went from rape to murder in a matter of his free years. Super bike murders and the Coxie's were completely different. Yes he seems to have this 'couples' MO but it's not fitting for all he has done. Although, yes he can't be the perp for all.

We aren't. This thread is about narrowing down possibilities, which given his erratic MO is proving difficult. FWIW I only have 2 possibilities on the case map

Yes. It's easier to recall the page numbers you leave off on than going nuts trying to figure out which thread to dig in.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

My shortcut is to go to my own profile page and select to see my own recent posts. Then I click see more under posts on threads I want to check on and it puts me back to the position of my last post in that thread.

Alternately, select to subscribe to threads of interest and you can reach them through your subscription list quickly. Via tapatalk you can opt to be notified of any new posts in a thread you are subscribed to as well.

We aren't. This thread is about narrowing down possibilities, which given his erratic MO is proving difficult. FWIW I only have 2 possibilities on the case map

OT but I just clicked on your map data base. Great way to organize them and have them readily available. Thanks for that.

OT but I just clicked on your map data base. Great way to organize them and have them readily available. Thanks for that.

:)

I've been wanting to do it for a while. The link says ALL my case maps but that is not the case, it was the idea, I know I have done more, I just can't find the links. Only thing I can think is others I have made aren't linked to my google account, maybe prior to google maps engine changing. I had a maps pro account but that is now a defunct option. I'll find them one day!

I'm not sure where to ask this question. I'm also NOT trying to sleuth family members; I'm just trying to understand his social dynamic to the best of my ability.

Did TK ever reside with his former step-siblings? If so, what are their ages relative to his?

Again, not trying to sleuth them, just trying to understand every aspect of his childhood prior to incarceration, if possible.

On the CBS 48 Hour special tonight Melissa Ponder (Widow of Scott Ponder, superbike victim) said police told her that TK had confessed to them that he killed someone in AZ

Wow! I missed that. *I watched A&E's The Killing Season, Ep 1 AND THEN the 48 Hours special, back to back... I wonder what else I might've missed :thinking:

I have been trying to figure out since that 48 Hours episode last night which AZ missing persons or cold cases could be linked to TK.

Question for everyone on this thread: do we think it's possible TK killed someone before going to prison in 1987?
TK spent the summer of 1982 at his bio dad's house in AZ and then went to live with him after that until his arrest on Nov 25 1987.
He got out of prison in Aug 2001.

We also need to find out when TK started driving. He was 15 when his dad left him alone for 3 days and he most likely had the keys to his dad's truck. He got the hand gun he used to rape the 14 year old neighbor out of the glove box in his dad's truck. He also had two jobs in AZ prior to going prison. So he very well could have been driving at 15.

I have been trying to figure out since that 48 Hours episode last night which AZ missing persons or cold cases could be linked to TK.

Question for everyone on this thread: do we think it's possible TK killed someone before going to prison in 1987?
TK spent the summer of 1982 at his bio dad's house in AZ and then went to live with him after that until his arrest on Nov 25 1987.
He got out of prison in Aug 2001.

Yes I think it's possible he killed somebody before he was sent to prison for the kidnap.I think it's also possible that he targeted somebody there from his past as soon as he was released.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr
Back