ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would truly be a miracle for her to survive if she is outside
I am praying.

Based on her not being found, after extensive searching, I'm leaning toward her being picked up by someone in a vehicle. Hopefully, someone well intentioned, but obviously misguided in thinking that was the way to "rescue" her. Unless her mental health problems are quite severe, I can't imagine a nine-year-old just going into the wilderness to wander or hide, with no plan. She would have to know she was putting herself into grave danger. I hope LE is also investigating her family, relatives and family friends to determine if one of them is responsible. MOO. Hoping for good news soon.

ROCKERVILLE S.D. – Multiple emergency agencies are in Rockerville looking for a missing minor.

_____

10:10 p.m. According to Custer County Search and Rescue, crews will continue the search into the night.

The Pennington County Search and Rescue will conduct overnight searches using K9 units, ground crews, and all terrain vehicles.

NewsCenter1 will continue to bring you updates as soon as they are available.

Search and Rescue crews continue search for missing child in Rockerville - KNBN NewsCenter1

I hope they find her safe soon!

Would Serenity have been voluntarily entered into this facility by family? Or can young children be involuntarily committed? Would children be allowed off the premises with family at any time? Would these children have access to the internet or telephones?

Would Serenity have been voluntarily entered into this facility by family? Or can young children be involuntarily committed? Would children be allowed off the premises with family at any time? Would these children have access to the internet or telephones?

I can’t speak for everyone, but the ones I have known were placed willingly (as a last resort). It was a difficult, heartbreaking decision to see their families make, but often done with two intentions: help the child get better with treatment, keep the child from harming others or themselves (if violent tendencies were involved).

I have only known a few who had to go into residential programs, but I can’t imagine a parent aiding their “escape” when it’s voluntary.... but I sure hope that’s the case with this one. Somehow. Otherwise, this doesn’t look good. MOO

This is not looking good at all. The best case is she hid out in one of the outbuildings that are on the property. From photos there appears to be three siblings at home and I can see if this was a new transition for her that she would try to go home. In those temperatures and weather (and it won't be any better today) it will take a miracle and hopefully there is that miracle.

I can’t speak for everyone, but the ones I have known were placed willingly (as a last resort). It was a difficult, heartbreaking decision to see their families make, but often done with two intentions: help the child get better with treatment, keep the child from harming others or themselves (if violent tendencies were involved).

I have only known a few who had to go into residential programs, but I can’t imagine a parent aiding their “escape” when it’s voluntary.... but I sure hope that’s the case with this one. Somehow. Otherwise, this doesn’t look good. MOO

That's kinda what I figured, that it was mostly as voluntary as it can be and a last resort option. I totally understand and sympathize with families who have to make those tough calls.

I can't really see a family aiding either, unless it's possible there was a family member who didn't agree with the decision? Possibly a non-parent/guardian who wouldn't have the authority to remove her legally. I'd much rather hear someone with good intentions picked her up than thinking she's out there trying to walk home.

Search continues for missing girl, 9
Searches combed the area around Highway 16 and Rockerville late into the night. The sheriff's office said authorities are concerned about Dennard's safety due to the low temperatures and the girl's lack of warm clothing: She was last seen wearing a long-sleeved gray shirt with flowers, blue jeans and snow boots.

Authorties continue search of missing girl near Rockerville
Local authorities are continuing to search for a missing girl in the area of Rockerville after searching into the night on Sunday.

Pennington County Sheriff's Deputies, Pennington County Search and Rescue, Custer County Search and Rescue, Rockerville Volunteer Fire Department, Rapid City Fire Department and at least three dogs were searching the area around Highway 16 and Rockerville on Sunday and plan to restart the search today.

This is not looking good at all. The best case is she hid out in one of the outbuildings that are on the property. From photos there appears to be three siblings at home and I can see if this was a new transition for her that she would try to go home. In those temperatures and weather (and it won't be any better today) it will take a miracle and hopefully there is that miracle.
Or hiding inside the treatment facility itself. If she was outside all this time then I hate to think of the outcome

The details are very specific, the exact time she was seen leaving, what she was wearing, what way she was heading. Like she was caught on camera. I looked on Google streetview but couldn´t see any.

Are they allowed phones or internet at the facility?
You´d think a 9-year old child used to this weather in the winter would have learned to dress accordingly... unless she was expecting to be picked up by someone.

I hope she is somewhere warm and is found soon poor girl =(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member