ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is what I thought. So your sister has it? I thought maybe I was wrong after all of this discussion, yet I was positive I have heard of it. What I recall is that at least for an infant who cannot talk there are day cares with live video feed all day. Not live to everyone, live to access by the parents only. And maybe not of every child but that infant in the crib, room, etc. I think state laws often have to have a 1 to 1 ratio in a day care with infants? Not sure.

Does your sister's day care have live access of all children, meaning can she see the other children as well? Or just her child?

It is my guess the parents are informed and make the choice. If they choose a facility that has live feed, they know other parents may see their child as well...? I have no idea but it is worthy of discussion I think.

I certainly can understand both sides of this issue. Privacy is paramount but so is safety and security.

Everyone says the facilities like in this case have "runners". To me, logically, there should be things that prevent that or help with finding them as quickly as possible...

But logic does not always prevail these days ;) Sadly :(

she only had access to her childs room. her daughter is 5 now and she has a camera. I am not sure about infant rooms, when she was an infant she was in a home day care

We were required in Minnesota to keep our doors locked since Columbine. We had six lockdown practices a year. Now it is a new protocol. Active shooter.

The doors opened just fine from the inside. Any child could open it. But not from the outside.

If sometimes I had a child that may escape, I had some kind of alarm. I forget as it was only a couple of times over the years thar I had a child that may escape. It was not permanent so I am not sure what it was.

It truly is a difficult thing to have an answer that on one hand does not violate privacy and on the other creates safety.

I can see even with fire codes that a door should be able to be opened at any time from the inside but like with an emergency exit, an alarm could go off.

I think the almighty dollar is the reason so much is wrong sometimes in many arenas... And liability/legal issues.

Kids leaving school and skipping school has always went on with kids getting around authority or things in place to stop them. However, back in the day, there probably were not the legal issues there are today. And it with a facility like this I think there are even more reasons to have security measures.

What is the answer? I do not have a clue. I think though it is something that should be looked into.

Just thoughts and just imo.

she only had access to her childs room. her daughter is 5 now and she has a camera. I am not sure about infant rooms, when she was an infant she was in a home day care

Thank you. I was going to look up such things but haven't had time yet. There are certainly two sides to it and different reasons for feeling each way and all very valid reasons.

In the case of a residential home like center, I do think outside cameras would be totally acceptable. It would have been enormously helpful in this case to see where Serenity went. Just as outside cameras would have been in Kyron's disappearance from school.

I know that my SIL was able to check the camera live while her daughter was in daycare. However, it may have been a small home daycare. I do know I've heard about that being a feature of daycares.

I also know some schools have cameras in the hallways. I don't know if any actually allow you to look at it live, but I'm glad they have it for if someone vanished or something occurs that needs to be reviewed.

I thought so and believed so. Many places have cameras today and I thought some public schools did as well. There may be a requirement/law of how it is handled, maybe just feed that can be reviewed, not accessed live or only by someone allowed to do that in charge of it. I have no idea, I admit.

I also was pretty sure it was done in some day cares and some parents choose them for that reason so they can check on things live. One knows what they are choosing when choosing the day care so it is still a choice.

Some have speculated that Serenity ran off, perhaps even came back close and ran again or in another direction. Exterior cameras would show that quite possibly.

In this day and age, it does not take a ton of money to put some basic cameras in place. Much less even better ones, and door alarms. So many cases on here what a difference that would make, sometimes maybe the difference between life and death. And if sadly that cannot be hoped for, it often helps find a perpetrator.

Kyron, as you mentioned for instance.

It may be an unpopular comment but I am no Pollyanna simply because where and what are, for instance, predators attracted to? The vulnerable quite often, children, the elderly, the mentally handicapped. Like it or not, they often look for jobs that are around such vulnerable people. Or some stalk such areas. Look at the perps who hang by schools or sit near them in their car.

I want to STRESS I do not mean that is the case here, it is a fact we have seen in many cases. Coaches, school bus drivers, day care workers, priests, school board presidents. I mean as a general concept I do not think it is the norm nor the majority, and I certainly mean it in no way to detract from the hardworking, caring, dedicated ones, but it certainly does happen and has happened. Positions of power would be another major attraction.

People have looked at the sex offender registry in the area and there are a couple nearby.

Were they cruising the area knowing "runners" occur in such places (I learned that here, I did not know it before) awaiting a chance?

No one can prevent everything but I see no reason there would not be at the very minimum exterior cameras in such a place.

Edited to change incorrect word.

I do remember when the reports came out on Serenity leaving the home that it was reported the outside cameras were not working because of the weather. I can't find the report now but there is a video of interviews that day that were cut short because of camera failure due to the weather

I do remember when the reports came out on Serenity leaving the home that it was reported the outside cameras were not working because of the weather. I can't find the report now but there is a video of interviews that day that were cut short because of camera failure due to the weather

I saw remarks on here that said something about cameras not working but never saw news that said that but that could be because I was trying to get up to speed on this case and child missing and did not read each and every link but I did most. When I read comments it made me wonder because we have seen some video in extremely terrible weather. Not great cameras then probably at minimum?

I find it so hard to even contemplate that this beautiful child has yet to be found! Please Lord, let this be the day!
Indeed.
It is currently 12 degrees and mostly sunny in Rockerville, so I don't know if they would be sending anybody out or not.
Of course, we would all rather Serenity is safe and warm somewhere. I was hoping maybe she went back inside after being spotted, but that seems to have not actually been a possibility. Somebody said the doors are locked on the outside, so a child could go out but couldn't get back in. That wouldn't leave Serenity many options.

Indeed.
It is currently 12 degrees and mostly sunny in Rockerville, so I don't know if they would be sending anybody out or not.
Of course, we would all rather Serenity is safe and warm somewhere. I was hoping maybe she went back inside after being spotted, but that seems to have not actually been a possibility. Somebody said the doors are locked on the outside, so a child could go out but couldn't get back in. That wouldn't leave Serenity many options.

Not that it means much but the sun makes a big difference in February in the colder states. One can start feeling the heat in it when it is out. It can make 12 feel like 24 or warmer until the sun goes down. With no wind, even warmer.

I can hardly think of a scenario where I think she would be safe but I so very much hope there is one.

Not that it means much but the sun makes a big difference in February in the colder states. One can start feeling the heat in it when it is out. It can make 12 feel like 24 or warmer until the sun goes down. With no wind, even warmer.

I can hardly think of a scenario where I think she would be safe but I so very much hope there is one.
I can think of a few scenarios, but they are all so wildly improbable that they would be hard to take seriously. For example - what if, feeling the cold, she headed back toward the buildings, but unable to get in, she checked out the cars in the parking lot. She finds the rear door unlocked in one car and crawls inside. The owner then comes out and drives home, unaware of the little stowaway. Once home, Serenity waits until the coast is clear, then crawls out and hides out in the garage or basement, maybe eating out of the leftovers in the garbage. She doesn't know what else to do. She doesn't know where she is. But she's afraid to show herself.
Like I said, wildly improbable. But I cling to the idea that something rather improbable played itself out in such a way that would result in her being safe and warm somewhere. Because I don't like the alternatives...
But if she is out there, why haven't they found her? Besides the fact that there is so much square footage to cover, she also may have crawled in a small space between rocks or in a log or something, someplace nobody has really noticed or thought to look. But that thought isn't pleasing. I'd rather she is, however improbable, safe and warm somewhere.

I can think of a few scenarios, but they are all so wildly improbable that they would be hard to take seriously. For example - what if, feeling the cold, she headed back toward the buildings, but unable to get in, she checked out the cars in the parking lot. She finds the rear door unlocked in one car and crawls inside. The owner then comes out and drives home, unaware of the little stowaway. Once home, Serenity waits until the coast is clear, then crawls out and hides out in the garage or basement, maybe eating out of the leftovers in the garbage. She doesn't know what else to do. She doesn't know where she is. But she's afraid to show herself.
Like I said, wildly improbable. But I cling to the idea that something rather improbable played itself out in such a way that would result in her being safe and warm somewhere. Because I don't like the alternatives...
But if she is out there, why haven't they found her? Besides the fact that there is so much square footage to cover, she also may have crawled in a small space between rocks or in a log or something, someplace nobody has really noticed or thought to look. But that thought isn't pleasing. I'd rather she is, however improbable, safe and warm somewhere.

I so very much agree. I can think of scenarios too but not many that would make sense after this period of time.

If she was older, I would have more hope.

But maybe climbing into a car and hiding, who knows, hiding in someone's basement or heated garage and they do not even realize she is there? Very, very far fetched on my part but the thought brings hope. Maybe they go to work and she carefully helps herself upstairs to food but not so much that they would pick up on it..? Someone picking her up is the other one people hope, ideally someone that knows her and cares about her... Could she be that quiet and go that unnoticed for so long?

I too like to believe in miracles and we have seen a few lately.

My child is autistic. She’s in public school her classrooms have always had locks edited to say and alarms. These kids are masters at figuring out locks. Even the fire alarms have actual locks on them because the kids used to pull the alarm to trigger the doors. At her current school you can’t get in or out without a badge at door we enter to go in the building. Many of the kids also have a dx of “wondering” it often comes hand in hand with autism. My child has that to. She has escaped the school despite all the measurements. She escaped a fenced in playground. Found much later in a body of water. Also you can’t restrain a child without the proper training here’s it’s called Mandt as a bus driver I was required to take the class. You still can not retrain unless dire circumstances then there’s a lot of paper work submitted. You can’t even use a “quiet room “ unless it’s a emergency in our state anyway. You remove other children and persons before touching the child. That’s here anyway. Thank god my child isn’t aggressive ever. Even to protect herself she wouldn’t touch another child or adult.
The training you are given to restrain can take up to 4 days. It is very intense. You always want restraining a child as your last option. But sometimes, sadly, you have no choice.

That was one of my first thought when I read about her, until I found out that there was a second woman in the car waiting for the driver to drop off the child. It's sometimes amazing what our brains can come up with to avoid thinking about the most likely outcome. MOO

Since there's been no sign of her, what if she was accidentally hit by a car on the road by someone texting or distracted while driving and not expecting to see a child on the road in that weather? What if she died immediately? What if she was placed in a trunk and driven away? Yeah, I've watched way too many movies/read way too many books. If all we've been told is true, she's still in the hills, poor baby.

In the case of a residential home like center, I do think outside cameras would be totally acceptable. It would have been enormously helpful in this case to see where Serenity went. Just as outside cameras would have been in Kyron's disappearance from school.

I know that my SIL was able to check the camera live while her daughter was in daycare. However, it may have been a small home daycare. I do know I've heard about that being a feature of daycares.

I also know some schools have cameras in the hallways. I don't know if any actually allow you to look at it live, but I'm glad they have it for if someone vanished or something occurs that needs to be reviewed.

Of course schools have those kind of cameras but they are not for general consumption just as your department store’s cameras are not for you.

I believe that privacy is our biggest issue. And yes, I recall our children would be photographed for school events, yearbooks and the like, and those were expected to remain in that community, so to speak.

I believe schools & administrations have begun making permission slips part of the process. Especially with video/photo of students. I don't have a link, but I recall my son's school requiring us to allow any video/photo captures, to be on display on the web page.

And they pretty much toughened up who could register, and log onto, their school district pages. It was another layer of privacy/safety IMO.

Now I'm going to go sideways. A little. Cameras at the inside doors. Cameras at the corners of the building. Cameras at the outside doors also. Nothing intrusive on the inside, but a detailed coverage on that exterior. Something like that in place, and you will see exactly where someone gets to.

Serenity Cameras, if only they had been in place that first time! Prayers for you little one :)

The school was asking your permission, not demanding it.

The cameras are not for the general consumption of the public in schools or at streets or at any business.

Great points.

I do not mean just anyone watching, just the guardian/parent being able to log in and check. I guess I will have to look into it, I am sure some have done it but I heard it some years back. And again I mean day cares and nursing homes. Maybe there is a limit to what areas, where and how and possibly even when, I guess there would have to be.

I know of cases where nanny cams were installed but that was by the guardian/parent.

I get your point about school and agree that would be harder if not impossible. Yet if one thinks of the cell phones and recording capabilities all over school each and every day, I would never think anyone should ever feel they may not be recorded just about anywhere they are nowadays :) Add in computers with cameras...

Did you know that in some states now you can record a conversation and it is admissible in court? It used to be the other person had to know they were being recorded, or it could only be LE or by having a warrant where it would be admissible. Not any longer. So long as you are one of the people in the conversation, it is allowed. An entirely different thing but one that many have not heard. I wonder if that plays into SP with her video because the stepdad is on it SA her and it looks like it would be admissible as it is referred to in the complaint and I believe the crux of the basis for his arrest.

In relating this to this case, courthouses, airports and body scanners, etc. have their security for safety and protection. I think children deserve protection too. As I said, I do not know what the answer is and I see your points and they are great points. And privacy is a huge concern. There, however, should be some way these children like SD and others can be monitored without too much invasion of their privacy, or a balance. Is it true someone is with these children 24/7? Door alarms I do not think is going too far. Security footage at least in some areas. Parking lot and exterior cameras facing all directions in the event a child runs.

The responses here have been vague about cameras. The sheriff seemed to indicate there is no footage from cameras. I can't recall his exact words but it was a response by LE on media.

The laws for recording conversations have been on the books for years

Lol I just posted a similar post to Human. Must be thinking alike.

First with schools, I can believe it has tightened up recently. And will likely continue to be tightened even more so in this day and age. Quite recently there was much that could still be seen on school websites, at least some. I am talking about sites where the children are my relation and in checking the school calendar, events, etc. In the JC case, these thoughts crossed my mind all of the time. I decided during that case to no longer ever post a picture even if my settings are pretty private. I remember thinking about the dance photos and wondering if the perp found her that way, either in person or online. I thought about newspapers where maybe a pic of a sporting event at school or a dance recital, often with names. It has sad it has come to that, but I think it has. Now if we could stop the apps/games that are always faster and beyond what parents know as are the children...

To tie this back to the topic, I posted to Human pretty much what you said above about cameras. At least put them outside. I also think door alarms and perhaps video of public areas like hallways or entryways and so forth. Not video all are watching necessarily but reviewable video if needed. I see no reason that cannot be done and quite honestly I fail to see why such facilities would not necessarily have them as it has been said repeatedly these children are sometimes "runners".

It is such a gray area but full of privacy issues no doubt. You could camera your own property and still possibly catch the neighbor inside of their home at their window in their robe. I guess that is on them for not closing the curtain but just saying...

I would imagine the parents would have to be told there are cameras and sign off to it? At least if any were on the inside in public areas? I have no idea...

Bottom line though is it has been repeatedly stated children like this (some) are known to run. If that is the case, I think there needs to be security and a system to address it for their safety.

I realize though it is easy to be an armchair quarterback... ;)

Caneras are and can be used. But they are for staff, not random parents. You know, like Randy Pruitt , for instance , who is a parent. Think of him accessing a school camera. Um, no

I read that as well.

Since there's been no sign of her, what if she was accidentally hit by a car on the road by someone texting or distracted while driving and not expecting to see a child on the road in that weather? What if she died immediately? What if she was placed in a trunk and driven away? Yeah, I've watched way too many movies/read way too many books. If all we've been told is true, she's still in the hills, poor baby.
I guess I too have watched to many movies but just throwing this out there.....maybe find a medium that can help find her. Some police use them???

I guess I too have watched to many movies but just throwing this out there.....maybe find a medium that can help find her. Some police use them???
There was one, I think, who early on said that Serenity could be found on S Rockerville Road (off the roadside) some seven and a half miles north of the Home. That made me shake my head. S Rockerville Road in its entirety is less than six miles long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member