Shark attack in Solana Beach...

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oooooh, my daughter just turned down a job at a surfing school. Whew, I am glad she did.

Did someone post the link to the dolphins? I didn't see it on the news, was it on one of these posts? I didn't know that they would do that and I would love to see it if there is a link.

It is so hot here in SD, of course everyone is headed for the beach. This was a very rare occurance, but still...just when you think it is safe to go into the water...

My condolences to David Martin's family. Life is so fragile, we can never take it for granted. Very sad that he started out the day doing what was his passion, and then he was attacked. He had the presence of mind to yell "shark" for his fellow swimmers; that is an amazing human being.
where are you in SD Latteda? I have a sister in Pacific Beach and a couple sons in Mission Valley.
Is this unreal or what? I still am having trouble comprehending it. One of my other boys was out at our local Dana Point beach today and he said most if the kids hadn't even heard about it:eek:
It's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow.

I am so saddened for this man. RIP.

Usually, my friends and family are clamoring to come visit me. Now, they're saying they're scared a shark might eat them if they go to the beach.

where are you in SD Latteda? I have a sister in Pacific Beach and a couple sons in Mission Valley.
Is this unreal or what? I still am having trouble comprehending it. One of my other boys was out at our local Dana Point beach today and he said most if the kids hadn't even heard about it:eek:
It's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow.

Say it ain't so!

:waitasec: How can a helicopter see into ocean water to look for the shark?? :waitasec: I've been to the oceans in NJ and Delaware and the water is dark and you can't see your feet under the water - how can a chopper flying that high in the air see a shark in the water? Do they have some kind of technology to do it? (Like heat seeking technology that can tell if people are in buildings).

My prayers to the victim and his family and friends.

:waitasec: How can a helicopter see into ocean water to look for the shark?? :waitasec: I've been to the oceans in NJ and Delaware and the water is dark and you can't see your feet under the water - how can a chopper flying that high in the air see a shark in the water? Do they have some kind of technology to do it? (Like heat seeking technology that can tell if people are in buildings).

My prayers to the victim and his family and friends.

The water is not as dark when above it in a helicopter. They don't need special technology.
There are plenty of pictures of this (probably could find them online)
http://www.mcss.sc/images/Newsletter/aerial_3ws_johan_wb.jpg

As sad as this mans death is .. people should not freak out. Apparently this man was swimming where seals usually swim ...
There are some basic safety precautions when swimming in the ocean ...
Swimming with shark food is pretty high up on the list of things to not do if you want to avoid becoming shark food yourself.

San Diego area relieved to see no sign of killer shark

San Diego-area beachgoers relieved to find no sign of great white shark that killed swimmer

Fear and shock turned to wary relief as a golden Southern California beach weekend unspooled with no sign of the great white shark that killed a swimmer in a rare attack near San Diego.
Thousands fled record inland temperatures for the relative cool of the coast, though 17 miles of San Diego County's coast remain under advisory closure Sunday, patrolled by helicopters and lifeguard trucks keeping an eye on unwitting swimmers.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=4733492

The water is not as dark when above it in a helicopter. They don't need special technology.
There are plenty of pictures of this (probably could find them online)
http://www.mcss.sc/images/Newsletter/aerial_3ws_johan_wb.jpg

As sad as this mans death is .. people should not freak out. Apparently this man was swimming where seals usually swim ...
There are some basic safety precautions when swimming in the ocean ...
Swimming with shark food is pretty high up on the list of things to not do if you want to avoid becoming shark food yourself.

LOL... sorry I know this is a terrible tragedy, but that was my first thought when I heard they were swimming around a kelp bed...

I went to High School in Solana Beach...cannot even imagine sharks there

Well, if the shark wouldn't have spit him out, I'd say the whole coast of California should be closed, this was just a freak accident that cost a man his life...

Well, if the shark wouldn't have spit him out, I'd say the whole coast of California should be closed, this was just a freak accident that cost a man his life...

I agree - but he was also a bit of a ways out wasn't he? I mean, it's not like he was just wading or body surfing at the edge of the water? It's horrific, and tragic, I'm not making light of it...but I don't think it's like jaws

I agree - but he was also a bit of a ways out wasn't he? I mean, it's not like he was just wading or body surfing at the edge of the water? It's horrific, and tragic, I'm not making light of it...but I don't think it's like jaws
PLus, the mayor of San Diego didn't say it was a boating accident on the hottest weekend of the year.

PLus, the mayor of San Diego didn't say it was a boating accident on the hottest weekend of the year.

FWIW, Richard Dreyfuss used to live in San Diego...so....:waitasec:

Seriously, I think this was a few and far between incident. If there's another one next week, I'd be concerned.

In Jaws, the shark was a hunter that went for anything moving in the water... :eek:

It could not be like Jaws because Jaws was purely fictional.

150feet off shore is a good distance depending on the beach..
Where I live that would not be that far out since the water is pretty low for a good 50-70 feet out.. (I mean you would still be walking at that point)

Your Welcome Sie Sie!!!
I never could find the picture I was really looking for .. It is an Aerial shot of Daytona Beach .... Its an amazing shot!

The Associated Press
Published: April 29, 2008
dot_h.gif
SAN DIEGO: A shark expert says an autopsy has confirmed it was a great white that killed a 66-year-old swimmer in the waters off San Diego last week.
An investigator from the Medical Examiner's Office says two shark's tooth fragments were recovered from David Martin's body.
Los Angeles-area shark expert Ralph Collier assisted with the autopsy. He says the fragments indicate the shark was a great white up to to 16 feet (5 meters) long. more at link:
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/29/america/NA-GEN-US-Shark-Attack.php

I dont know if everybody is just freaking out, but yesterday, late afternoon my son was at Huntington Pier surfing with his buddies. My son said they called out over the loudspeaker that there was a shark sighting and for everyone to get out of the water. My son said there were helecopters and everything

He was back out there again this morning at 6am and said there were helecoptors again this morning..

I dont know if this is just paranoia or not, but I thought I should mention it because I noticed that there are several other posters here at WS from Orange County

I dont know if everybody is just freaking out, but yesterday, late afternoon my son was at Huntington Pier surfing with his buddies. My son said they called out over the loudspeaker that there was a shark sighting and for everyone to get out of the water. My son said there were helecopters and everything

He was back out there again this morning at 6am and said there were helecoptors again this morning..

I dont know if this is just paranoia or not, but I thought I should mention it because I noticed that there are several other posters here at WS from Orange County

No reason to think they don't travel... better to be safe than sorry!

Gosh 2 of my sons were at OC beaches this past weekend and half the kids hadn't even heard about this attack!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke
Back