Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marilynilpa said:
I was thinking the same thing, there could have been two men in on this together. The whole tape recorder thing is weird, so it seems highly improbable that two men were doing this, independent of each other, in the same geographic area.
Did this "family man" offer any explanation for why he approached these girls with his tape recorder? What was the ultimate goal for him?
People are strange.
This revelation sort of took me by surprise when I was talking with them, and it seemed very strange to me. They did not show me any documentation or any reports of the confession, but simply mentioned it from their memory as I have related it. Keep in mind that there have been very many case officers assigned to the Lyon Sisters case over the years, and that police files contain volumes of tips, reports, etc over the past 30 years. These two investigators were probably in grade school or high school in 1975. So their knowledge of the case comes from their considerable study of the old files, rather than from first hand knowledge.

I expressed my surprise and doubt about the "second TRM" when I spoke with them. I asked them a similar question, - something like "What did he say he was trying to do? They said that the man stated something like he was innocently trying to record a girl's voice for his phone answering machine.

It should be noted that a newspaper account had earlier reported basically the same thing - that a man had handed several different girls a card with an answering machine message on it and asked that they read it. So it is possible that this guy could have simply gotten his whole story from the newspaper.

I may have indicated by my expression that this sounded a bit odd - that is not entirely "innocent". The one investigator then stated that he didn't think the guy had told everything he was really up to - implying that he might have been just a little perverted, or had some other objectives with his tape recorder than he was admitting to. The feeling of investigators (at the time) was that he was really trying to help, but embarrassed about it all. They spent a long time interrogating him, but evidently the man had no related criminal background, so he was taken at his word and released. With that, however, the main focus of the search remained in Montgomery County.

I asked them if this man's name ever subsequently came up in relation to any suspects or tipsters, or other crimes, and they said no.

It is interesting to note that the PG county TRM only came to police attention AFTER the Wheaton Plaza TRM's sketch and description was released and he was tied by the media to the girls disappearance. Nobody in Prince Georges County or in Montgomery County had bothered to report this weird activity to police prior to that. It is possible that this guy in PG County just happened to be doing the same thing as the "real" TRM in neighboring Montgomery County, and that it was all just a coincidence.

A BIG Coincidence.

Another possibility that comes to mind is similar to the a high profile sniper incident. Everyone was looking for a white van or white service truck in the sniper case but all that was wrong info. The 2 badguys were riding around in a car with a specially built sort of snipers space built into it. Perhaps there was another way the bad guy or guys got the kids without being seen. Maybe he/they just got lucky or maybe he/they was very careful. . . .or both.

docwho3 said:
Another possibility that comes to mind is similar to the a high profile sniper incident. Everyone was looking for a white van or white service truck in the sniper case but all that was wrong info. The 2 badguys were riding around in a car with a specially built sort of snipers space built into it. Perhaps there was another way the bad guy or guys got the kids without being seen. Maybe he/they just got lucky or maybe he/they was very careful. . . .or both.
The two main theories of how the Lyon sisters were abducted (and it is pretty certain that they were abducted) would be:

1. They were forcibly grabbed by one or two individuals and quickly subdued. This scenario would require at least two perpetrators to work smoothly, would necessitate having a closed vehicle like a work van, and would have been very risky to pull off in view of possible witnesses.

2. A single perpetrator, who had previously gained the girls' confidence, could simply offer them a ride - or perhaps tell them that their parents were in an accident and he had been sent to get them (or some other story to con them into getting in the car with him peacfully). From there, he could transport them to a previously selected place away from witnesses.

Richard said:
The two main theories of how the Lyon sisters were abducted (and it is pretty certain that they were abducted) would be:

1. They were forcibly grabbed by one or two individuals and quickly subdued. This scenario would require at least two perpetrators to work smoothly, would necessitate having a closed vehicle like a work van, and would have been very risky to pull off in view of possible witnesses.

2. A single perpetrator, who had previously gained the girls' confidence, could simply offer them a ride - or perhaps tell them that their parents were in an accident and he had been sent to get them (or some other story to con them into getting in the car with him peacfully). From there, he could transport them to a previously selected place away from witnesses.
I favor the single perpetrator theory. He might have appeared to them to be someone in authority (policeman, security officer). Another possibility is that the girls knew the man - from school, church, their neighborhood - and he offered them a ride home.

Richard said:

Ok - sounds reasonable. But neither of those possibilities requires a tape recorder man. Maybe the T.R.M. was an unrelated distraction?

Its not my favorite theory but I am sort of looking at various possibilities.

docwho3 said:
Ok - sounds reasonable. But neither of those possibilities requires a tape recorder man. Maybe the T.R.M. was an unrelated distraction?

Its not my favorite theory but I am sort of looking at various possibilities.
It's possible the TRM was not connected to the missing girls. It would be quite a coincidence, but stranger things have happened.

The girls walked to the mall, so it is certainly a possibility that someone offered them a ride home. Since the TRM had talked to them earlier in the day, perhaps they didn't look upon him as a stranger, and accepted a ride from him.

what if the trm was not working alone what if he was the person to gain the trust they followed them home and he lured them into the house

smile22 said:
what if the trm was not working alone what if he was the person to gain the trust they followed them home and he lured them into the house
A very possible scenario, much like Bittaker and Norris in California...Bittaker would lure hitchhikers to his van with the promise of marijuana and other drugs, while Norris would hide inside.

shadowangel said:
A very possible scenario, much like Bittaker and Norris in California...Bittaker would lure hitchhikers to his van with the promise of marijuana and other drugs, while Norris would hide inside.
Though I don't think it was marijuana was what lured the girls, I do think they were lured with something more innocent.

docwho3 said:
Ok - sounds reasonable. But neither of those possibilities requires a tape recorder man. Maybe the T.R.M. was an unrelated distraction? Its not my favorite theory but I am sort of looking at various possibilities.
You are correct in that neither of the two scenarios actually requires a tape recorder - especially one that relies on brute force to grab the girls.

But the tape recorder could figure into the plan in a number of ways. It would have allowed the abductor to get close to a number of possible victims before making his choice and his move. He may have talked to the Lyon sisters on other occasions as well, although he is known to have been speaking with them on that day.

The TRM may have been building a friendly raport with the girls, or may have used his "interview" to learn more about their home, family, interests, etc. He may have pretended to know their parents. There are a lot of possibilities. The only thing known for certain, according to the witness, was that he was overheard asking them if they were "into sports".

By hanging out and simply observing the approach to the mall, TRM (or anyone else) could have determined what children were alone, or without parents, and who had walked to the mall. If he had observed the girls on other occasions, he may have had their pattern down, and could have left the parking lot to intercept them as they entered the residential area of Kensington.

A compelling factor regarding the TRM is that he disappeared at the same time that the girls did. He was never seen again with his tape recorder, and no body ever came forward claiming to have been at Wheaton Plaza with a tape recorder.

You make some very good points and I am certainly not against them.

I am mentally trying to sort of go down 2 roads at the same time. One road the includes T.R.M. and one that does not. I just want to make sure that I don't overlook anything. Anyway that sports question reminds me of something. . hmmm. If it turns into anything I will let you know.
Richard said:
You are correct in that neither of the two scenarios actually requires a tape recorder - especially one that relies on brute force to grab the girls.

But the tape recorder could figure into the plan in a number of ways. It would have allowed the abductor to get close to a number of possible victims before making his choice and his move. He may have talked to the Lyon sisters on other occasions as well, although he is known to have been speaking with them on that day.

The TRM may have been building a friendly raport with the girls, or may have used his "interview" to learn more about their home, family, interests, etc. He may have pretended to know their parents. There are a lot of possibilities. The only thing known for certain, according to the witness, was that he was overheard asking them if they were "into sports".

By hanging out and simply observing the approach to the mall, TRM (or anyone else) could have determined what children were alone, or without parents, and who had walked to the mall. If he had observed the girls on other occasions, he may have had their pattern down, and could have left the parking lot to intercept them as they entered the residential area of Kensington.

A compelling factor regarding the TRM is that he disappeared at the same time that the girls did. He was never seen again with his tape recorder, and no body ever came forward claiming to have been at Wheaton Plaza with a tape recorder.

smile22 said:
What you suggest is certainly a possibility, but it would more likely be that the girls were taken from the area by vehicle immediately. Montgomery County Police went door to door searching houses and speaking with home owners.

Tracking dogs were also used in the usual manner of bringing them in days later, but there was not a very long track for them to follow - if they picked up any scent at all.

The residential area was a place where people knew who their neighbors were, and if anyone had seen anything in the days preceding the girls' disappearance, someone would probably have said something. Also, if someone wanted to abduct these girls, he would not logically have rented or purchased a home in the neighborhood to do so.

The risk factor is something to be considered - both by the perpetrator, and by those investigating. There certainly are major risks involved when attempting to abduct two girls at or near a very busy mall in the middle of the afternoon. How, then would an abductor have planned to reduce those risks?

One way would be to act very quickly (perhaps with a helper) to grab and subdue the girls and to put them into a vehicle for a quick exit of the area. Leave no evidence at the scene. - The problem here is that there could be witnesses to something out of the ordinary. No matter how hard you plan, you just do not know who is sitting in a car or in a house watching you. If you are working alone, you might get one girl, but not two this way - and that would be a major problem. On the other hand, having an assistant means making a bigger scene/struggle and would mean a witness who could testify against you.

Another way would be to have a very clever and persuasive line to convince the girls to get into a vehicle with you. This plan would not require an assistant and would not arouse suspicion if seen by others. And if the offer of a ride is "innocent" enough, but the girls refuse to get in, there is always tomorrow - or another potential victim elsewhere.

This individual must have had significant previous experience to have attempted a double abduction, especially under the circumstances given. He was a risk taker, but probably one who was smart enough to limit those risks.

I just recently discovered this discussion, and I want to thank all who have taken an interest in the case. In particular, Richard - you have done a lot of research and analyzed the information thoughtfully.

(One minor correction to posted information - in 1975, the Albritton group owned the Washington Star, not the Post; however, all media outlets gave the story major attention).

I grew up in Kensington, and was there during all these events. I now live in Kensington again (just a couple blocks from the Lyons) and find myself thinking of it often. I can identify to some degree with people who have talked about their experiences growing up here, although I don't remember pre-1975 Kensington as quite so innocent as many seem to. But clearly this situation was new and frighteneing ground. I have known John Lyon for over fifteen years, and, I wish everyone could know what an extraordinary person he is. Although he is a very public and active person, he does not comment publicly about the case. Let me share a few thoughts based on my own experience, for those who are interested.

1. I don't think the Lyons are particularly interested in this as a criminal case anymore. They would still like closure, but they are not, to my belief, concerned with prosecution. In all likelihood, the guilty parties are now dead or incarcerated anyway. They greatly value their privacy on this, and for this reason have not talked to the media about it in any detail since 1980. They were burned by some of the coverage previously, and don't want to endure any more. You can imagine thirty years of idle speculation, cranks, psychics, hoaxes, ransom attempts, and people just driving by the house and stopping.

2. As far as the clues - I believe the "DMT 6" license plate thing was quickly deemed to be not credible. Why any abductor would be driving in morning rush hour (this vehicle was supposedly stopped at a light) with bound and gagged people is unfathomable. Also, how no one else would see this defies reason also. Don't build your theory around that report.

3. Coffey is as good a suspect as any, but there is really nothing to tie him to the crime other than his history and his presence in the area at the time. I believe, based on my discussions with those knowledgeable about it, if there was any way to tie him to the crime, it would have happened by now (remember that Jay Lyon has worked for the county police for about 20 years). If Coffey had to leave the area after the Beatty murder, why did he have to stay after this abduction?

4. The police came to discount the siting at Devon and Faulkner. Only one child said this, and under the circumstances could easily have been mistaken. To have let the girls leave the plaza freely, and then later abduct them by vehicle would have been extremely difficult and required excellent timing, given the roundabout route necessary to get to that point from the plaza.

5. The police were confronted with a case they had little experience with. The investigation was exhaustive, but primitive by today's standards. A major element of bad luck was the high wind and rain for two days after the disappearance - making the dog search relatively useless. But County Police have never worked harder to solve a case.

All that being said, I encourage all of you to keep interest alive - we need to have this solved. It may take a break like the woman who (allegedly) had contact photo prints of the plaza that day. Sites like this may bring forward the critical information.

The question about sports : Dateline's recent internet sexual predator expose' reminded me of the "Are you into sports?" question. I did a few web searches and found that it is one the main phrases used to put a subject at ease. I also remember seeing it used in a documentary a few years back where The Show's people hired some guy to lure children out to his car while the mom watched from behind a one way mirror. He used that line as one of his phrases. Each mom was so surprised that her child went along with the man in only a few seconds in most cases even though the child had been previously warned by mom to never do that.
Evidently its a "tried and true" line.

Thrasher said:
I just recently discovered this discussion, and I want to thank all who have taken an interest in the case. In particular, Richard - you have done a lot of research and analyzed the information thoughtfully.

(One minor correction to posted information - in 1975, the Albritton group owned the Washington Star, not the Post; however, all media outlets gave the story major attention).

I grew up in Kensington, and was there during all these events. I now live in Kensington again (just a couple blocks from the Lyons) and find myself thinking of it often. I can identify to some degree with people who have talked about their experiences growing up here, although I don't remember pre-1975 Kensington as quite so innocent as many seem to. But clearly this situation was new and frighteneing ground. I have known John Lyon for over fifteen years, and, I wish everyone could know what an extraordinary person he is. Although he is a very public and active person, he does not comment publicly about the case. Let me share a few thoughts based on my own experience, for those who are interested.

1. I don't think the Lyons are particularly interested in this as a criminal case anymore. They would still like closure, but they are not, to my belief, concerned with prosecution. In all likelihood, the guilty parties are now dead or incarcerated anyway. They greatly value their privacy on this, and for this reason have not talked to the media about it in any detail since 1980. They were burned by some of the coverage previously, and don't want to endure any more. You can imagine thirty years of idle speculation, cranks, psychics, hoaxes, ransom attempts, and people just driving by the house and stopping.

2. As far as the clues - I believe the "DMT 6" license plate thing was quickly deemed to be not credible. Why any abductor would be driving in morning rush hour (this vehicle was supposedly stopped at a light) with bound and gagged people is unfathomable. Also, how no one else would see this defies reason also. Don't build your theory around that report.

3. Coffey is as good a suspect as any, but there is really nothing to tie him to the crime other than his history and his presence in the area at the time. I believe, based on my discussions with those knowledgeable about it, if there was any way to tie him to the crime, it would have happened by now (remember that Jay Lyon has worked for the county police for about 20 years). If Coffey had to leave the area after the Beatty murder, why did he have to stay after this abduction?

4. The police came to discount the siting at Devon and Faulkner. Only one child said this, and under the circumstances could easily have been mistaken. To have let the girls leave the plaza freely, and then later abduct them by vehicle would have been extremely difficult and required excellent timing, given the roundabout route necessary to get to that point from the plaza.

5. The police were confronted with a case they had little experience with. The investigation was exhaustive, but primitive by today's standards. A major element of bad luck was the high wind and rain for two days after the disappearance - making the dog search relatively useless. But County Police have never worked harder to solve a case.

All that being said, I encourage all of you to keep interest alive - we need to have this solved. It may take a break like the woman who (allegedly) had contact photo prints of the plaza that day. Sites like this may bring forward the critical information.
Thank you for your insight and comments. You make some excellent points. I agree with you regarding your assessment of Montgomery County Police efforts on this case. I have personally spoken with several of the case officers over the years, and this is a case they take very seriously and one which they have worked very hard on since 1975.

I have never met John Lyon personally, although I have seen his picture and have seen his interviews in the past, and I have heard him many times when he worked as an anouncer for WMAL (AM) radio. I know that he has taken an active part in assisting others who have lost loved ones by working closely with MCP and their Victim's Assistance program. He has given a few interviews in the recent past (I believe that one was in 2002) during which time he discussed the case of his missing daughters.

You make a few points that I would like to discuss briefly.

First, the reported sighting of the girls near Devon Road (actually near the corner of Devon and Drumm). You are correct that only one boy reported this. The reason that the police did not place as much importance on it was the the boy waited almost two weeks before reporting it. His reason stated for this was that, although he recalled seeing the girls there that day (25 March), he did not report it because other reports in the news said that a witness had seen them at around 7PM near the mall. There were a lot of kids at the mall that day, and probably a lot of them did use the same route in and out of the housing area. Because the boy came forward two weeks later, the police tended to discount the clue, because they felt he might have seen different girls, OR that he might have seen the Lyon Sisters on the day before their disappearance, OR that he may have gotten the time wrong. All good reasons to doubt such a report.

But I think that the best reason for doubting the report is this: If the boy had seen Sheila and Kate at that place and time, it would have taken the girls less than a minute to reach a point further along their route where a vehicle could no longer follow them. Drumm Ave was and still is blocked off by large metal posts, allowing only pedestrian traffic for about a block. The other end of Drumm Ave. was open, but the girls normally cut through some woods to their home on Jennings.

The abductor had his best opportunity to offer them a ride in the parking lot or just into the subdivision near Drumm, Faulkner, and Devon streets. The boy stated that he saw the girls there, and that they were headed home - but he never reported seeing any suspicious vehicles, people, or any abduction taking place. Also, if this boy was there, the abductor would have seen him and not made his move. To abduct the girls further along their route would have required that the abductor know the many twisting roads and where they came out. The next best place along the girl's route for intercepting the girls with his car was very close to their home - and this would also presume that the abductor knew where they lived.

Your comments on the beige station wagon with the bent plate are also well stated. Police did check that lead out very carefully and questioned the witness many times. The man stated only that he was reporting what he saw, and got very tired of all the constant re-questioning. His statements remained consistant, and he never sought any kind of fame or recognition through the press. I have never seen his name printed or released. The Beige Ford Station Wagon certainly fits into the story because it happened and it tied up police for a long time checking into it. However, it may have had nothing to do with the actual disappearance of the girls. It could have been a hoax, or maybe a case of someone traveling with other children sleeping in the back, or it might have been the Lyon girls. It just could never be either substantiated or completely dismissed.

Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. is a convicted Child Molester and Child Murderer. He confessed to having molested over a hundred children, and that confession is public record. What you see of Mr. Coffey, however, is very likely only the tip of the iceberg. He is believed to have murdered several other children besides little 10 year-old Amanda Ray.

What you say regarding lack of evidence linking him to the Lyon case is absolutely correct - at this point anyway. Mr. Coffey and his lawyer would be quick to point out that you "can't prove it". It is not known for certain where Mr. Coffey was on 25 March 1975 or in the days immediately following.

It is known that he owned at least three vehicles in 1975 and that he must have had one of them in the Maryland area at the time, due to the locations of his residence and work areas.

You also cannot prove that he murdered 14 year-old Kathy Beatty. But if you study his modus operandi, you would find that he had a fondness for picking up young girls. Coffey had been convicted in 1974 of picking up a 13 year-old daughter of a fellow Navy man, using a lie that her parents were in a bad accident and that he had been sent to take her to see them in the hospital. Instead, he drove her to a beach where he raped her. Later, in October 1975, Coffey was convicted of "Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor" with a 15 year-old girl in Virginia Beach, VA.

Kathy Beatty was found very close to one of the places where Coffey worked at the time. Although Coffey has not been forensically linked to Kathy's murder, the fact that he blew town immediately afterward without notice to his employer makes a person wonder. He later sent a letter to his employer, VITRO Laboratories, asking for his final pay check, and giving a false reason for leaving. The reason? He said that his wife and daughter had been in a bad car accident. He used the very same false excuse later when leaving the scene of another murder.

To answer your hypothetical question, as to why he would have had to leave so quickly following the Beatty murder (assuming he killed her): Because papers reported the next day that she was still alive. As such she might have identified him. Kathy actually lived for 12 days after the attack but she was in a coma, and never regained conciousness.

Regarding your comment about the person who reported taking pictures at Wheaton Plaza on 25 March 1975 - I sincerely hope that they can be found and turned over to police as possible evidence in this very old case. Maybe it can still be solved.

Thanks, Richard, for your response. You have certainly looked into this thoroughly. Let me clarify a few things:

I agree entirely about the sighting at Devon and Drumm. It is a very small window of opportunity for abduction by a vehicle, especially a vehicle dashing all the way around from the plaza, and especially to abduct two people. I walked through that route many times then, and I still do now occasionally, and each time I do it occurs to me what precise timing that would have taken, aside from the luck of being unseen. The weedy area that was then the Drumm Road connection to Plyers Mill was then a good place for a mugging or ambush, but not for a double abduction. It isn't really consistent with the tape recorder ploy. By all accounts, the girls were intelligent and reasonably shrewd for their ages. Would they talk to a man with a tape recorder at the plaza, and then get into a car driven by that same man later on Drumm Road? It would take multiple people, and sex offenders tend to work alone - I think the only way a sole individual could have pulled this off was by getting them to voluntarily enter a vehicle at Wheaton Plaza. It was a busy day there and no one would have thought anything about two girls getting in a car with a man, or even remembered it specifically a week later.

When I referred to the "DMT 6" as a probable hoax, I meant most likely the driver, not the witness. It does seem very unlikely that the person who reported it was deliberately making it up; and he could have misunderstood what he saw. People got a little hysterical, as they did in 2002 with the sniper - everyone driving a beige Ford wagon or in the company of two blond girls in April 1975 was getting harrassed.

I think Coffey is perfectly capable of having done it, and I won't be surprised at all if it is determined that he did - in all likelihood he did commit the Beatty murder. I was only saying there is nothing to go on. Thanks for the clarifying the point about his sudden departure - I had forgotten that, and it makes sense. I can only hope that MC Police can find a way to persuade him to tell what he knows - he certainly has nothing to lose, especially if he is offered immunity in this case.

My point about John was that he avoids interviews and publicity, even though talking about it could produce a lead. It also produces a lot of craziness. I believe his last public comment was in association with the trial in the Dorr case, where he was a victim advocate. He also did a brief but profound interview on NPR on missing children a few years ago which was very good. But, while he has graciously answered every question I have ever asked him about the case, he understandably does not want to be quoted publicly. His demeanor in 1975 was not what a lot of people thought a victim should act like, and he got some really nasty comments. He is as compassionate and courageous a person as I have ever known, but if you don't know him he can seem rather flippant or callous.

There was a reference earlier to Mileski making a statement "in writing" - was this an affadavit? Will the police say anything about that? Should we assume that Mileski did not know Coffey, although he claimed to know the perpetrator?

Keep up the good work.

I have read all 11 pages of this thread. After reading them I registered as a member. Nothing that happened in my childhood has had an impact on me like the Lyon case. I grew up in Oxon Hill (my parents still live there) in the late 60's and early 70's. When the disappearance broke the news our neighborhood went nuts. We were all out in the streets playing with our friends until dark in the summers and until 6 or so during the winters. Our parents would socialize with each other while we played and rode our bikes everywhere. After the girls went missing there were new rules for all of us. We had to be on our block and no further etc. Ground rules were set up for how far we could go and how late we could be out. Parents no longer socialized inside houses they did it in the front yard or garages. I can still hear my mother's voice: "Don't wander away or talk to strangers or you will end up like the Lyon sisters." While I do not think she did it on purpose she put a fear in all of us and an awareness of the world we lived in. I often think that I grew up that year like I did in no other.
It is fascinating to read this thread, with so many wonderful ideas and efforts to help solve this case. Richard, you seem to be very knowledgeable and informed. It has been my pleasure to read your posts.
I live in central PA now, am married with an 18 month old daughter. We live in a wonderful neighborhood. I am reminded of our old neighborhood in Oxon Hill so many times as I drive to and from work. It amazes me how naive so many parents are these days. Kids are out and unsupervised etc. It scares me that I will have to tell my wife and daughter of the fears I have and the experiences of my childhood in the DC suburbs. Do I tell them I will never let my daughter off the block until she is 16 or 17? When do I let her ride her bike around the block? How will I tell her not to get into a car with anyone she does not know, for any reason?
Am I paranoid? Am I going to overreact? How do I confront this? I cannot imagine what the parents of the Lyon girls felt, or still feel. To see your child one minute and go to work only to come home to find them gone, never to be seen again.
Thanks for listening to my rant, I just feel overwhelmed after reading this and having these memories come rushing back so powerfully.

Welcome. The tragedy of cases like the Lyon sisters are so much greater in scope than most of us realize...It seems as though innocence itself becomes a victim.

*sigh*

Thrasher said:
...... There was a reference earlier to Mileski making a statement "in writing" - was this an affadavit? Will the police say anything about that? Should we assume that Mileski did not know Coffey, although he claimed to know the perpetrator? ...
Ray Mileski (now deceased) in 2001 was serving a life sentence in a Maryland prison for the 1977 murder of his wife and son. The "statement in writing" that I mentioned earlier was a reference to an exchange of letters between Mileski and someone interested in the Lyon Case. I do not know if Mileski ever made a sworn affidavit or statement to police concerning the Lyon girls.

The reason for interest in Mileski was a tip generated by an early website which featured the case. In evaluating the tip, this other person and I did some research and found that Mileski's former backyard had been searched by Montgomery County Police in the early 1980's, reportedly because of information given to them by other convicts.

The tip received in 2001 contained a lot of information about Mileski and some alleged associates, and it included an allegation that Mileski had at one time known who the abductor of the girls was. The tip was immediately relayed in its entirety to the MCP detective then assigned to the Lyon case.

The detective thanked us for the information and asked for more information and for clarification of some that we had relayed to him. Because most of the information we related to him was second or third hand hearsay, and inadmissable in court, the detective was somewhat critical and perhaps skeptical of it. At least that was the perception of this other person. He expressed to me his doubt that the detective was going to follow up on it.

Without telling me in advance, this other person decided to write to Mileski in prison, as a way of making contact, and in the letter, he asked some general questions. To his great surprise, Mileski wrote him back. In his letter, Mileski made some general statements about how "one might find the girls" or something to that effect, and implying in a round about way that he had some sort of inside information.

Both letters were intercepted by the prison warden, who copied them and then forward the copies to MCP. Some time had gone by since I had last spoken to the detective, and suddenly one day, he called me because he was angry about the exchange of letters. It was the first I knew about them. I called the other person and learned what was in them. At the same time, I learned that a second exchange of letters had just taken place, this time they were much more detailed in questions and answers.

Mileski indicated in his second letter that he did indeed know the abductor of the girls, and referred to him as "C.D." He claimed to have met this individual "in the pen". The letter was a long and rambling one and it contained a demand that he be moved from his Baltimore area prison to the Western Correctional Facility in Cumberland, MD. These letters were forwarded to MCP, and at that point the person who had initiated the correspondance with Mileski backed out of it.

Montgomery Police most likely spoke with Mileski. He was transferred to Cumberland after 2001, and he died there in December 2004. As to what he may have told police, or what their opinion of him was, I do not know.

It is my opinion that Mileski was the likely source of the previous tip from other convicts, and that it may have been stories that he told prior to 1977 which surfaced in the 2001 website tip. He certainly claimed knowledge of it in his letters. But whether he actually had any first hand knowledge, or involvement in the girls' disappearance remains part of the mystery.

The Tape Recorder Man (TRM) has been mentioned and discussed quite a few times in this thread. He was seen talking to young girls on at least four occasions at Wheaton Plaza before the girls disappeared. Known dates of those sightings are 28 (Friday) February 1975, 1 (Saturday) March 1975, 24 (Monday) and 25 (Tuesday) March 1975. Each sighting was at around noon, or in the early afternoon. There may have been more sightings recorded in Police files.

TRM - or his double - was seen undertaking the same activity in at least four other shopping centers on other dates: on 22 March (Saturday) at both Iverson Mall, and Marlow Heights Shopping Center (two malls adjacent to each other on Route 5 in Prince Georges County, Maryland), At a date prior to 25 March 1975 at a Bowie, MD mall, and at White Oak Shopping Center (Montgomery County) in February or early March 1975.

The sighting at Wheaton Plaza on 25 March 1975 is the most significant in this case, because that is when a young boy and his buddy saw TRM speaking with Sheila and Katherine LYON. It was his description and account which led to the composite drawing of TRM, and subsequently to the other reported sightings.

The witness who saw TRM at Wheaton Plaza on 28 February 1975 recently described his encounter with the man to me in this manner:

"It was a windy, cold day, and I had taken a late lunch break from work to go to the Wheaton Plaza mall with my girlfriend. We were there to shop for a pair of boots. It was an open/outside mall back then and we were walking in a brisk manner toward the shoe store. I saw a man approaching us head on, and I thought that he was looking at my girl friend. He was carrying a briefcase and tape recorder, and I thought that he was from the press and wondered where the cameras were. I thought that he might want to interview us or something."

"A moment before walking right into us, he abruptly turned and walked at an angle away, without saying 'Excuse me'. I thought it rude of him, and I stopped and turned to look at him walking away. He was approaching a young mother with two small children, and I watched as he bent down to speak with one of the little girls. Seeing him from behind, I noticed that he had a "ducktail" style haircut and that his hair was gray or graying. Because of the wind, the hair had blown down into his eyes. I tried to hear what he was saying, but could not make it out."

"My thought was that this guy was some kind of a pervert, and I made a remark to that effect to my girlfriend. I wanted to walk over to him to see what he was up to, but my girlfriend said that she was cold and wanted to go inside. We continued on toward the shoe store. I looked back and saw him still speaking with the little girl. As we got to the shoe store, I again looked back. The woman and her girls had left, but the Tape Recorder Man was still there, now standing with a smirk on his face. He then lit a cigarrette."

"We went into the shoe store, only long enough to ask if they had a certain type of boot, and learning that they did not, we immediately left. I looked again for TRM, but he was nowhere to be seen."

"The man was not tall, probably under 6 feet, but he was wearing the type of shoes or boots with higher heels that were popular back then. He had on a brown sport coat or suitcoat with brown or tan pants that had long, flare type bottoms which covered most of his shoes/boots. He had on a yellow dress shirt, but no tie. I recall seeing him best in profile when I turned to look at him talking with the little girl. I recall a prominent rise or bump to the bridge of his nose, and I will always remember that tight lipped smirk."

"On another occasion (February or March 1975) I was going to White Oak Shopping Center to cash a check and to straighten out a problem with a credit account. It was about 3 or 4PM, and I was hurrying to get to the credit union before they closed that day. On my way in to the Sears entrance, I saw a man in a black suit, with a tape recorder in hand, speaking to a heavyset girl of about 14 who was holding a basketball. As I approached, he backed up behind a pillar, and I passed between them. Because of my haste, I did not linger or watch them, but made a mental note to look for them on my way out of the store. When I left, I looked for them, but they were both gone. I do not recall if it was before or after I had seen TRM at Wheaton Plaza, and I don't recall connecting the two events at the time. I do know that the White Oak incident was before the girls went missing."

"When the sketch of TRM appeared in the newspapers and on television, I called the police to tell them about the man that I had seen. They took my statement, and I never heard from them again."

"Then, in 1987, when news reports came out about Police interest in Fred Coffey, I again called Montgomery County Police and went down to the station to relate the story of my encounter with TRM. They showed me a color photo of a man, which I recognized as a VITRO Laboratory ID badge photo. They asked me if this was the man I had seen. The man in the photo had dark hair. He looked very similar to my recollection of TRM, but I could not positively state that it was the same man, because I recalled TRM having had gray or graying hair. I asked the police if they could make a copy of the photo with gray hair, but they told me that they couldn't do that. Some time later, that same photo appeared in the news paper, but in black and white, and he was identified as being Fred Coffey."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CindyW1974