SIDEBAR #21- Arias/Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does corn bread taste like? Always been curious.

So I'm putting my Christmas tree up in the next 30 mins I can't hold off any longer lmao planned to put it up next Saturday anyway and loads of people already have theirs up around here so at least I'm not the first.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

So I'm putting my Christmas tree up in the next 30 mins I can't hold off any longer lmao planned to put it up next Saturday anyway and loads of people already have theirs up around here so at least I'm not the first.

I'm a New Englander and I love cornbread. It has a very distinctive texture, because of the cornmeal...it's more crumbly than a doughy bread. As for how to describe the taste, I guess I'd say its got that mild sweetness of corn which goes really well with salted butter. The thing to remember with cornbread is that it is best warm, straight out of the oven. Corn muffins are so, so easy to make. I've never made them from scratch because the Jiffy brand mix is inexpensive and makes small servings.

Way too early for me to put up a Christmas tree...our family tradition was always the weekend before Christmas.

Cornbread my way, lol:

1 cup cornmeal (yellow usually any cut but cheapest is what we had)

1 cup flour

*here comes the family part of cooking*

Cup your hand and pour in some baking powder, that may or may not be a TBSP

Put in big soup pot spoon of bacon grease (or lard, or shortening, or butter, or oil) Guess that might be 1/4 cup?

Add a pinch of salt

Sneak in a teaspoon at least of sugar (or maple syrup or honey)

Add one large egg

Pour in milk until runny like cake batter (can use water and some farm folk made water cornbread for the dogs and milk cornbread for the humans in some odd mindset that makes no sense. Can use any type of milk.)

Grease medium iron skillet with more bacon grease, or lard, or shortening. Pour batter in. Bake at 350 F until golden brown and pulling away from sides of pan.

My DD must be down, she just called and asked why she is suddenly addicted to cornbread this morning. Of course she is going through her vegan stage, so I said it is the protein, not realizing she wants to be home. :( I suck.

Happy weekend. Going to try to explain the potatoes stuffing. (Decades back my x-in-laws nicknamed it "dirty potatoes", color is kind of key yet hard to describe but I will do my best.

I make about 6 pounds of potatoes, peel, chop boil and mash as you usually do. Chop 3 large onions, size would depend on how much or little your family likes onions. I use about a stick of butter in my potatoes also. Next add poultry seasoning, sage, and thyme. A few cupped handfuls of each. (I have also added oregano and garlic, whatever your family tastes are). If you add too much onions it will be goopy but still good. The color when the spices are added should be a dirty greenish brown, you can taste as you add the spices.
After the potatoes are seasoned and well mixed, by hand is easier at this point, make snowball sized balls and shove into Turkey cavities, neck too. Press firmly into Turkey and keep adding until cavities are full but able to be closed up. Put remaining potatoes mixture in a casserole dish and bake until as golden brown as you like it.
I usually bake a few sweet potatoes for anyone who shows up that doesn't like onions, but they usually aren't eaten.
That's all I can think of, but when I make it next week I will take proper measurements.
If you saute the onions first, they are too watery, I've tried that and it doesn't work well. If anyone has questions feel free to PM me so as not to hijack this page. Thanks.

All done, I feel so cozy.

There were some nuts about here that had their tree and decorations up on the 1st of November. ...not even I am that keen.

e6eqa4eg.jpg

just hope the cat doesn't get this one.

had a gorgeous pre lit black one last year with ice blue lights,looked amazing with black and silver baubles etc and the dang cat ate the wires and ripped the branches off. :sigh:

I also looked up the psychological effects of being in solitary confinement last month and found this scholarly article and bookmarked it (it's long, but enlightening). You might like to read it. :seeya:
--------------
Psychiatric Effects of Solitary Confinement† (Journal of Law & Policy [Vol. 22:325). Pgs. 325-383. Stuart Grassian*

"Individuals with more stable personalities and
greater ability to modulate their emotional expression and behavior
and individuals with stronger cognitive functioning are less severely
affected. However, all of these individuals will still experience a
degree of stupor, difficulties with thinking and concentration,
obsessional thinking, agitation, irritability, and difficulty tolerating
external stimuli (especially noxious stimuli)....
1. The Specific Psychiatric Syndrome Associated with Solitary
Confinement
a. Hyperresponsivity to External Stimuli:
b. Perceptual Distortions, Illusions, and Hallucinations
c. Panic Attacks:
d. Difficulties with Thinking, Concentration, and Memory
e. Intrusive Obsessional Thoughts: Emergence of Primitive
Aggressive Ruminations:
f. Overt Paranoia:
g. Problems with Impulse Control:....."

http://law.wustl.edu/journal/22/p325grassian.pdf
------------------

I don't think missy :jail: is feeling the effects yet: she hasn't really been in solitary that long (wait until she's there for 10-20 years- even if she gets DP or LWOP). I don't feel that she is in touch with reality and she thinks she will get out of this mess she has made of her life somehow (by some miracle, IMO). She's in La-La Land (I think she has always lived there, IMO).

I also think she will still be arrogant in the next phase of her trial, as she has been before. After all; she is right and everyone is wrong. No accepting responsibility about her actions in anything she does or has done in her life. She is soulless.
Too bad.

Thank you for this PDF file YESorNO. It was a really good study of what happens to people in solitary confinement.

I think solitary confinement would be a much worse punishment for JA than the death penalty. JMO. After reading that article I think she would suffer much more. If she thinks she is in solitary confinement now she will soon find out what solitary confinement really means.

All done, I feel so cozy.

There were some nuts about here that had their tree and decorations up on the 1st of November. ...not even I am that keen.

e6eqa4eg.jpg

---------
Hi Josie, sounds like some of the nuts over here! LOL..
There is no one in here. Its lonely.:seeya:

Very pretty tree Josie!! I'm putting mine up tomorrow night (Sunday night). My birthday is Dec. 6th so growing up it was a tradition to decorate the tree on my birthday. I felt so special. :)

Last year I didn't have a tree, and the year before that my cats got to the tree a few days after I put it up. I came home from work and it was down...broken ornaments all over (after the anger passed it was actually quite funny and I had to take a pic...).

Attachments

• christmastree.jpg
    christmastree.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 32
Do you have a small loaf or muffin pan? Jiffy makes a small cornbread mix and if you add the onion and celery, sage, salt and pepper and bake them together, then crumble,and using some of a can of chicken noodle soup for your broth, bake about twenty minutes could be the easiest; you can use a small cooler, and all you have to do it heat it when you get there. It won't take long and you can say it's homemade with a clear conscious. If you don't have a small cooler use a ziplock bag with ice

Grandma might like tasting your dressing.

I really love this idea. Stupid question (I'm not cooking-inclined, to say the least)...would I bake it at 350 degrees?

Thanks for all of the great stuffing ideas everyone! I wonder what the convicted heifer will be "enjoying" for Thanksgiving dinner in jail....I tried googling but couldn't find anything. lol

Oh m that made me laugh.
I don't think I was so forgiving lol
I love how he/she is just sitting there like what? Nothing to see here.

In Scotland/UK you would buy polenta (ground maize) to make cornbread. It's very similar to our stone ground cornmeal.

Hmmm, no one around. Am I late or early?

Bundle up Texas it's fixing to get cold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mN7LW0Y00kE

Hope all are well. Neesak, I'm good....glad you've got a good man, or at least that is how I took your remark,..... I have one also, my oldest sister calls him a saint, and I have to admit he does put up with a lot. If I say I would love to have or do something I usually get it. I said one time that having a Chambers stove would be neat, and I got one, it's the same age as me. I wish I knew him when I was little and asked for a pony for my birthday.

10.50am here so early for me

I really love this idea. Stupid question (I'm not cooking-inclined, to say the least)...would I bake it at 350 degrees?

Thanks for all of the great stuffing ideas everyone! I wonder what the convicted heifer will be "enjoying" for Thanksgiving dinner in jail....I tried googling but couldn't find anything. lol

350 will work, everything is cooked, you're just making it set some more. If it's small, you want to watch it closer. You could also do this in the microwave.

For those that have left over dressing (something that never happens here) you can make armadillo eggs.

My favorite Thanksgiving night treat is a turkey and dressing sandwich with Helmans on wheat bread, and bag of Frito's. Do you remember when Roman Meal was the only wheat bread in the stores?

Very pretty tree Josie!! I'm putting mine up tomorrow night (Sunday night). My birthday is Dec. 6th so growing up it was a tradition to decorate the tree on my birthday. I felt so special. :)

Last year I didn't have a tree, and the year before that my cats got to the tree a few days after I put it up. I came home from work and it was down...broken ornaments all over (after the anger passed it was actually quite funny and I had to take a pic...).

Bad, bad kitty ..... , and that smug, nonchalant expression , like he's saying " So what are you gonna do about it?" :floorlaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colinnew