SIDEBAR #57 - Travis Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
1944 - On this day, as World War II raged, news spread of the loss of an airplane somewhere over the English Channel between England and Paris. On board the aircraft was Major Glenn Miller on his way to lead his Air Force Band in a Christmas concert.

Wow, is that a young Milton Berle?

[video=youtu;-XQybKMXL-k]http://youtu.be/-XQybKMXL-k[/video]

1960 - Wonderland by Night - Bert Kaemphert tops the charts.

[video=youtu;kt4FoMvNi1c]http://youtu.be/kt4FoMvNi1c[/video]

Good Evening Everyone...

I hope all are feeling well and those who aren't will be before long.

For anyone who was following the story of the cat with the tumor on his foot, he is home and doing very well. He had the amputation last Thursday and by the next day was scooting around rather well. He was a little lopsided looking but, hey, it was one day post op...I was impressed that he was up and about at all!

Now, five days out, he is looking awesome and full of spunk. My friend still has him sequestered as her other cat likes to pick on him and for the time being he is vulnerable to her attacks. But even in that regard, I think he will do a respectable job of defending himself just as he always had. I do not think he thinks of himself as disabled in the least. Animals are cool about such things, IMO.

Glad to have this wonderful update, krkrjx! This cat has become extra special to me. I hope your friend is happy with having been able to do this for him. Soon, he will be King of the House, and a spunky one, at that! May he totally heal well and keep that invincible mode rolling. :yesss:

There's so many posts I want to respond to, but I can't get to them right now. I'm lost today because WS is the first thing at look at in the morning...I had a 7:30 appointment this morning and that has thrown off my whole routine, and my entire day!!

My day started when the alarm clock went off at 6:31am, and jumping out of bed, banging on my grandson's bedroom door - opened to the inner chaos - yelling for him to get up, he's not there so, I run through the house, and the back door is open and I'm yelling his name when Anna walks out of her room and says "don't you have to pick j up from work at 7?

My grandson has a job. He works from ten at night until seven in the morning (his "normal" hours before he got the job), four days a week and three off, which will not be to hard on him, it's has little contact with the public so that stress is low, and it pays well for a young man in his first job. I just hope he gets his license soon. I hate starting my day like that.

OK, I need a Focus Group Consensus:

This past summer, a woman went missing in another country while on vacation. Her BFF got on a plane and went over to help find her as the local LE hadn't really done anything. She found her deceased unfortunately after 5 weeks of searching. This BFF took time off from her life and job and used her own resources while searching.

If you were this woman's family, would you reimburse the BFF?

Yes, maybe half.

Hi Zuri , I just wrote a letter to all and whoosh! it disappeared. I am off to bed now. I am bleeding rectally, 2 transfusions. Must be a slow
leak. had endoscopy too that's fine. No anesthetic as breathing was bad. I'll write more tomorrow...:loveyou:

Feel better soon Nore!!! :grouphug:

Merry Beatles Christmas music?

[video=youtu;wt7O2s4I5yM]http://youtu.be/wt7O2s4I5yM[/video]

OH ZURI, look what I found? Jingles all the way.

[video=youtu;kKHo4tw_aI0]http://youtu.be/kKHo4tw_aI0[/video]

Speaking of Cooking. LOL

We ended up getting a pressure cooker about a year ago and we really like it.

Its one of the modern type ones that has some pre-set buttons on the front where you literally just push 1 button and its off to the races. I am pretty sure other people here have them. For me, it is a relatively new cooking device because I had never used one before we got this cooker.

The thing is amazing and it makes the meet so tender.

The other day we made a beef stew using some sort of steak chunks that we had in the freezer and it came out really good.

Here is how it went. We thawed out a package of frozen sirloin tips chunks that we happened to have. We could have done it frozen but we had time so we thawed the meat.

We cut up the chunks into nice bite size pieces of steak meat and threw it in the pressure cooker and added water to be about 2/3 full. We have a 6 quart model so I think we added about 4 quarts of water.

Then we cut up celery, potatoes, carrots, 1/2 onion, and added a can of corn and threw that in. Then we added some salt, pepper, and some rosemary.

Then I put on the lid, and hit 1 button and I was off to the races. The button I used had a preset cooking time of 18 minutes.

Then I went in to watch TV. LOL
It heats up to pressure and once it gets to pressure (about 10 minutes or so), then it starts counting down the 18 minute digital display. Once it gets to 0.0 a small audible alarm goes off and it automatically switches itself to a warmer feature.

But since its still under pressure and everything is done, I have found best results to go ahead and unplug it at this point and release all the pressure using the little valve thingy on top and by using a cold wet dishtowel to protect the hand. This is the most dangerous part for me because you have to watch the hot steam as you release the pressure.

Once pressure it all out, then I take off the lid and put the regular glass lid on top and plug it back in and set it back to the WARMER setting. Then just dip and serve at your leisure.

The meat in these things is so tender you can break it apart with a fork. Its just incredible.
It came out really good.

We have made barbecue beef using this pressure cooker once by forking apart some good cooked beef and then adding barbecue sauce to it.

It seems every time we use this cooker the meat just falls apart. Its really incredible and we like the machine a lot.

I do think the cleanup of the unit is a little difficult because you have to take the rubber gasket seal off the lid and clean the lid really good. But other than the cleanup its really simple to use.

If you don't like any of the pre-set time buttons then this unit has a manual override to where you can set whatever minutes you want. We have never had to use over 20 minutes cook time on anything we have done. I am sure most models would have that feature to override the minutes to whatever you want.

I used to be afraid of pressure cookers until we got this new model. My Grandma had one of the real old ones when I grew up and it looked real scary. It had clamps and other gadget looking things and looked real complicated. These new ones they make today are really simple to use. The best thing about them though is having meat fall apart and come out so tender. I cant wait to try some pork ribs in it. I am sure it will be fall off the bone ribs when done.

Hatfield, I had to look up pressure cookers to see what they are like these days. An electric pressure cooker? I have never heard of them. I have only used the kind you put on a stove burner. They were great for tender meats, I agree. Sounds like you have a real prize in that cooker!

Good Morning and SMILE
Have you told anyone that you love them? I have. Make someone laugh. Help someone feel good about themselves. Love to all my SB friends who are so dear to me!
:grouphug: :loveyou:

I agree, chili without beans isn't chili! And Hatfield ~ I am almost scared of pressure cookers! Horror stories from my mom using them when I was a kid! LOL My crock pot can do the same as the pressure cooker only takes all day! hahaha

Speaking of Cooking. LOL

Its one of the modern type ones that has some pre-set buttons on the front where you literally just push 1 button and its off to the races. I am pretty sure other people here have them. For me, it is a relatively new cooking device because I had never used one before we got this cooker.

The other day we made a beef stew using some sort of steak chunks that we had in the freezer and it came out really good.

Here is how it went. We thawed out a package of frozen sirloin tips chunks that we happened to have. We could have done it frozen but we had time so we thawed the meat.

We cut up the chunks into nice bite size pieces of steak meat and threw it in the pressure cooker and added water to be about 2/3 full. We have a 6 quart model so I think we added about 4 quarts of water.

Then we cut up celery, potatoes, carrots, 1/2 onion, and added a can of corn and threw that in. Then we added some salt, pepper, and some rosemary.

Then I put on the lid, and hit 1 button and I was off to the races. The button I used had a preset cooking time of 18 minutes.

It heats up to pressure and once it gets to pressure (about 10 minutes or so), then it starts counting down the 18 minute digital display. Once it gets to 0.0 a small audible alarm goes off and it automatically switches itself to a warmer feature.

But since its still under pressure and everything is done, I have found best results to go ahead and unplug it at this point and release all the pressure using the little valve thingy on top and by using a cold wet dishtowel to protect the hand. This is the most dangerous part for me because you have to watch the hot steam as you release the pressure.

Once pressure it all out, then I take off the lid and put the regular glass lid on top and plug it back in and set it back to the WARMER setting. Then just dip and serve at your leisure.

The meat in these things is so tender you can break it apart with a fork. Its just incredible.
It came out really good.

We have made barbecue beef using this pressure cooker once by forking apart some good cooked beef and then adding barbecue sauce to it.

It seems every time we use this cooker the meat just falls apart. Its really incredible and we like the machine a lot.

I do think the cleanup of the unit is a little difficult because you have to take the rubber gasket seal off the lid and clean the lid really good. But other than the cleanup its really simple to use.

If you don't like any of the pre-set time buttons then this unit has a manual override to where you can set whatever minutes you want. We have never had to use over 20 minutes cook time on anything we have done. I am sure most models would have that feature to override the minutes to whatever you want.

I used to be afraid of pressure cookers until we got this new model. My Grandma had one of the real old ones when I grew up and it looked real scary. It had clamps and other gadget looking things and looked real complicated. These new ones they make today are really simple to use. The best thing about them though is having meat fall apart and come out so tender. I cant wait to try some pork ribs in it. I am sure it will be fall off the bone ribs when done.

Great to hear you're so happy with your electric pressure cooker! Which one do you have?

There is a possibility ;) that I might get one for Christmas called Instant Pot IP-DUO60. Is this one similar to yours?

http://http://instantpot.com/benefits/specifications-and-manuals/instant-pot-ip-duo-series-specifications/

Good Morning and SMILE
Have you told anyone that you love them? I have. Make someone laugh. Help someone feel good about themselves. Love to all my SB friends who are so dear to me!
:grouphug: :loveyou:

I agree, chili without beans isn't chili! And Hatfield ~ I am almost scared of pressure cookers! Horror stories from my mom using them when I was a kid! LOL My crock pot can do the same as the pressure cooker only takes all day! hahaha

LOL
You are right that crock pots do make the dishes come out very similar.

And yes Spellbound it is electric. I think my Grandmother's old one was like the one you mentioned where she had to use it over a stove. Those old ones were so dangerous because you had to manually regulate the pressure inside and you could overheat them and get too much pressure.

These new electric ones are designed to never have to worry about getting too much pressure in them.

The thing I found so amazing is just having to touch 1 button. LOL I kept reading the instructions over and over because it sounded too easy. I kept thinking I had to hit some other buttons or something. LOL

Great to hear you're so happy with your electric pressure cooker! Which one do you have?

There is a possibility ;) that I might get one for Christmas called Instant Pot IP-DUO60. Is this one similar to yours?

http://http://instantpot.com/benefits/specifications-and-manuals/instant-pot-ip-duo-series-specifications/

YES, Mine has the front display that looks very similar. I think yours (if you get it :) ) has actually more features because your model has BOTH a "slow cooker" OR a "pressure cooker" option. You will like that because you can use yours like a traditional crock pot too if you want to.

Once you find out how quick meals get prepared with the pressure cooker option you will really like it.

You will be very pleased with it. Just read the instructions carefully and don't let it intimidate you. They really are very simple and once you learn how to use the simple push button features, you wont need to take out the instructions each time.

Speaking of Cooking. LOL

It came out really good.

I totally understand the fear of the pressure cooker. I had a great grandma that had one and used it to can things. Have you tried doing ribs or a small brisket? and used a can of dr. pepper instead of water? My sister does that in the crockpot with frozen ones, but I'm not sure if that would work for you? Was the four quarts for the stew or did it have to have that much liquid? Oh my, the possibility's are endless. Swiss steak, corn beef and cabbage,and IIRC you put up things from your garden. Does it have instructions on doing that, and if it does do you have to cook the veggies and in a boiling water bath for the jars and lids? then add the hot liquid?

More questions - is you pressure cooker the one that they're selling on television like the ninja thingy and the nu wave oven? I have a showtime rotisserie, and love it. It makes the best roast chicken. my only problem is tying the darn chicken up. Dh says it looks like a hostage or bondage when I try to truss the bird. The silicon rubberbands didn't last very long the last time I bought them off Amazon, so I use twine. You can also do ribs and things iin it also.

I'm also starting to get seed catalogs for spring planting!!

I think you're younger than me by a few years (just turned 64 last Wednesday), but did you and your wife sterilize bottles and formula the old fashion way? I'd wash the bottles and nipples (remember glass bottles?) and dear husband would fill and place them in this big pan with a lid and boil it for ten or fifteen minutes, then you took them out after they cool down some and let them sit and they would seal. We both wore aprons and gloves. You'd think we were handling nuclear waste.

1965 - Peter & Gordon, "Woman" top the charts.

[video=youtu;mLmiOaX-nSU]http://youtu.be/mLmiOaX-nSU[/video]

I totally understand the fear of the pressure cooker. I had a great grandma that had one and used it to can things.

Have you tried doing ribs or a small brisket? and used a can of dr. pepper instead of water?

ANSWER: We haven't tried ribs yet and we expect them to come out great with the meat falling off the bone. We did try a large chunk of some beef to make the barbecue beef. Once it was done we just took a fork to the meet and shredded it with a fork since it was falling apart so easily. Then we just added barbecue sauce to the meat and put the WARMER setting to keep it hot. Then served on rolls for barbecue sandwhiches. It was our best dinner out of the thing so far. I don't remember what kind of beef it was though that we started with.

My sister does that in the crockpot with frozen ones, but I'm not sure if that would work for you?
ANSWER: YES. Frozen works fine. Just need more minutes. We have a pressure cooker cookbook we got from QVC shopping channel. We also got one from another store. Some recipes say you can use frozen whole small chickens and you just have to use a longer setting on the minutes. We only tried some partially frozen beef once and it came out great. Once you open it up if you find something is not quite done to your liking then you can always put lid back on and cook for some more minutes if you need to. We have never had that happen yet since everything got done as expected.

Was the four quarts for the stew or did it have to have that much liquid?

ANSWER: We like a lot of "broth" when we do stews like we just did. So I tend to put more water in than the recipe calls for. We like to dip in crackers and other things so we use more water than most people would. Probably 2 quarts would have been fine in the stew we made.

Some recipes call for very little liquid. Like 1/2 cup or so. You do want to have at least a little liquid at bottom to help prevent any browning of the meats when it first starts to heat up. You can use chicken stock or beef stock instead of water if you want in most recipes.

Oh my, the possibility's are endless. Swiss steak, corn beef and cabbage,and IIRC you put up things from your garden. Does it have instructions on doing that, and if it does do you have to cook the veggies and in a boiling water bath for the jars and lids? then add the hot liquid?

ANSWER: I have never tried canning with it yet but have heard of others using them for canning. For recipes, I would recommend getting a cookbook specific for pressure cookers like we ended up getting. Tons of good recipes. Ive been dying to re-try my rice pudding recipe I once tried. I used the wrong type of rice and it came out lousy. LOL

We got our cookbook from QVC shopping channel and I think I got my cooker on QVC too.
The cookbook we got is from "Bob Warden" specific to pressure cookers. He has a couple different ones he came out with. Giving my model I got below, Most all the new ones seem to have the same basic features.

More questions - is you pressure cooker the one that they're selling on television like the ninja thingy and the nu wave oven?

ANSWER: Yes, Kind of. We got ours on QVC shopping channel :) Ours is brand = "Technique Electric Pressure Cooker Model HT-01". A lot of the cookers look similar. I think David in the Kitchen was with Bob Warden when we bought our pressure cooker.

I have a showtime rotisserie, and love it. It makes the best roast chicken. my only problem is tying the darn chicken up. Dh says it looks like a hostage or bondage when I try to truss the bird. The silicon rubberbands didn't last very long the last time I bought them off Amazon, so I use twine. You can also do ribs and things iin it also.

ANSWER: Neat. Ive never had a real rotisseiri but I would like to get one some day.

I'm also starting to get seed catalogs for spring planting!!

I think you're younger than me by a few years (just turned 64 last Wednesday), but did you and your wife sterilize bottles and formula the old fashion way? I'd wash the bottles and nipples (remember glass bottles?) and dear husband would fill and place them in this big pan with a lid and boil it for ten or fifteen minutes, then you took them out after they cool down some and let them sit and they would seal. We both wore aprons and gloves. You'd think we were handling nuclear waste.

ANSWER: LOL about the nuclear waist projects. I feel same way sometimes.
I love canning tomatoes. I do it on stove top using large pans. I just boil the lids and jars in one pan. Then boil tomoatoes in another. When everything is done boiling, I just fill the jars , wipe top clean and leave a little room on top and then turn upside down for 5 minutes. Then when I turn them rightside up, all the jars seal and pop as they cool.

Ive never used a pressure cooker to can vegetalbes yet. I may try that this summer.

Those are some good questions. Replied above in red to try to answer as many as I could.

I am really envious of all you Cuisinarts. I have no passion for cooking or food, unless someone else makes it, then I am all in lol. You all Re amazing! My mother used a pressure cooker when I was younger, but I have never tried using one. Does a wok count?

I can't ever remember winning anything in a raffle, door prize, lottery type situation. I have won ribbons from horse shows if that counts lol.

I am really envious of all you Cuisinarts. I have no passion for cooking or food, unless someone else makes it, then I am all in lol. You all Re amazing! My mother used a pressure cooker when I was younger, but I have never tried using one. Does a wok count?

I can't ever remember winning anything in a raffle, door prize, lottery type situation. I have won ribbons from horse shows if that counts lol.

I think the only reason I got way into it is because I had many restaurant jobs when I was in high school. I started bussing tables and progressed to cook in a few places. I think the manager needed a cook and I was the only one available...LOL

I really ended up liking it and now I really enjoy it.

The big difference though is when you are a cook in restaurants everyone cleans up for you and you don't have to do that part. LOL

ETA: YES, Ribbons count!!! Way to go. Winning anything is fun.
And yes, WOKS count too because that is a specialty type of cooking all its own. Ive never tried a wok before. I like seeing them used on TV cooking shows. Really neat.

Morning! :wave:

ILikeToBendPages said:
(just turned 64 last Wednesday)

:Happybirthday: :party: :confetti:

Yes, Zuri - ribbons count!! :happydance:

:seeya:

Attachments

• Hugs.jpg
    Hugs.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.