SIDEBAR #58 - Travis Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The blizzard is to start Friday night and end Sunday morning. The newest forecast is 12-18" which is not that bad. All of our cars are 4WD so if I have to go to the Four Seasons or Ritz Carleton due to no power, we should be good. Do they take large German Shepherds? Hope so cuz they comin' too.

I don't know how close those hotels are to me, but hopefully out of the snow, with a generator backup. If not, Motel 6 is just fine.

They're saying up to 2 feet (!!!!!) here...yikes.

Hope you don't have to flee to a motel, but if you do, the only really big drawback to Motel 6 is no room service. Bring a picnic if you have to go there! Stay warm and safe...

Hilarious Memes Emerge After Inch of Snow Paralyzes DC Area

"Hilarious memes are emerging on social media after Washington, D.C., was paralyzed by an inch of snow Wednesday night.

You read that right: An inch of snow.

The snow caused slick conditions on roads. Over 125 accidents were reported, according to police, and hundreds of drivers trapped in traffic complained of nine-hour long standstills.

"One inch of snow did this. One. Inch. Of. Snow," one Twitter user wrote of what some have jokingly dubbed as "Snowmadeggon" and "Carmageddon."..."

Erik F @mynamesnotrik
In today's news: "one inch of snow causes pandemonium, utter destruction and the collapse of society in the Washington, DC region"
10:19 AM - 21 Jan 2016

Oliver Darcy ✔ @oliverdarcy
DC’s traffic problems (caused by 1 inch of snow) now making national news.
9:40 PM - 20 Jan 2016

Avik Roy ✔ @Avik
Half an inch of snow and DC acts like there's been a nuclear war. What is wrong with you people?
11:46 PM - 20 Jan 2016

Nationals 101 @Nationals101
The only thing that shuts down DC quicker than Congress is an inch of snow.
8:21 PM - 20 Jan 2016

Emily Cahn @CahnEmily
There's barely an inch of snow on the ground and things are devolving in DC. Drivers are honking and throwing f bombs at each other on my st
7:30 PM - 20 Jan 2016 · Washington, DC, United States..."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/hilarious-memes-emerge-snow-paralyzes-dc-area/story?id=36421982

[video=youtube;63S8C-C9eTw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63S8C-C9eTw[/video]

:snowball::snowball::snowball::snowball::snowball: :snowball:

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

But really- whoever is suppose to get lots of snow- be careful please and stay safe. :blowkiss:

It is sooo funny, how lame we are here! and I'm the first to admit it.

But we do have to keep in mind the lives lost and the property damage involved. Like I said last night, I couldn't believe what I was seeing on my little (but hilly) 3-block street. Add into the mix that DC is a magnet for "type A" personalities. Even in good weather, they drive like they own the road. When the weather's bad, well, they still drive like they own the road, and have to get somewhere in a hurry. A lot of them are in AWD SUVs and think they can drive through anything -- patches of black ice -- no problem! Their recklessness actually causes a lot of these traffic incidents.

I'll be staying inside for the duration, but was so happy that I could repay my wonderful SIL in some small measure by lending him my AWD car 'til Monday. That's how karma works, right? Give-and-take, but it all starts with giving -- for no other reason than because you can...

I had intimated that "miracles" were unfolding since the death of my beloved horse. I can't write about him just yet, but wanted to share this with you.

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/giving/tha...rs-study-effect-of-equine-microbiome-on-colic

This research was inspired by my horse and is being conducted by Dr. Louise Southwood, pictured, who saved my horse many times during his 10 admissions. Knox became a VIP of sorts as she was notified immediately of his presence in their ER. I had his body taken to New Bolton for necropsy so she could further examine and take biopsies, whatever she needed for her research. The Head of Pathology assisted her which was a testament to her and Knox. He deserved and got the best of the best.

I am meeting with some people from the University of Pennsylvania New Bolton Center next week to take on raising big money to fund this specific research so it can go way into clinical trials. This is Knox's legacy and it is now up to me to see it through. He came to me for a reason and that reason is crystal clear. Xo

Dmacky, sometimes getting a rescue dog that has been in the "system" for some time leaves them permanently scarred. The Manchester Terrier that my daughter rescued, Bella, is now on Amitriptylline and we will probably add the Prozac. She has huge separation anxiety when I leave and I come back to torn or shredded something. These are just the minor issues now. It has taken 2 years to really see some progress.

A friend of mine rescued a Cocker Spaniel that a young man had to leave behind as he was going to Iraq. The dog never adjusted, was food aggressive, bit her and caused her to fall and break her foot. She had to call the Rescue back to take the dog, after trying everything she could.

Sometimes, despite our best efforts, things aren't meant to be.... Xoxo

As someone who successfully re-homed a rescue dog (albeit after about $2K), I can relate to how hard it can be.

But I find the stories about the dogs rescued from Michael Vick inspiring on sooo many levels.

http://barkpost.com/vicktory-dogs/

There was also a very good book written about them:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Lost-Dogs-Michael-Redemption/dp/159240667X

Bottom line is that while a good people/dog match might be hard, there is always hope for these pups... :)

I had intimated that "miracles" were unfolding since the death of my beloved horse. I can't write about him just yet, but wanted to share this with you.

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/giving/tha...rs-study-effect-of-equine-microbiome-on-colic

This research was inspired by my horse and is being conducted by Dr. Louise Southwood, pictured, who saved my horse many times during his 10 admissions. Knox became a VIP of sorts as she was notified immediately of his presence in their ER. I had his body taken to New Bolton for necropsy so she could further examine and take biopsies, whatever she needed for her research. The Head of Pathology assisted her which was a testament to her and Knox. He deserved and got the best of the best.

I am meeting with some people from the University of Pennsylvania New Bolton Center next week to take on raising big money to fund this specific research so it can go way into clinical trials. This is Knox's legacy and it is now up to me to see it through. He came to me for a reason and that reason is crystal clear. Xo

Very interesting article. Your vet, Dr. Louise Southwood, sounds very accomplished with all her research.

LOUISE SOUTHWOOD, BVSc, MS, PhD, BSc (Vet)

sout4829.jpg

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/people/faculty-clinician-search/LOUISESOUTHWOOD

The Univ. of Penn Vet hospital is really good when you have a sick animal (I know because of my Buddy), but so expensive. A lot of money is needed for research. I hope you raise thousands of dollars for Dr. Southwood's research in honor of Knox. :)

It's sad but also wonderful that he is continuing to give. In the Jewish community there is a saying that I have grown fond of:

"May his memory be for a blessing."

They're saying up to 2 feet (!!!!!) here...yikes.

Hope you don't have to flee to a motel, but if you do, the only really big drawback to Motel 6 is no room service. Bring a picnic if you have to go there! Stay warm and safe...

Hope, are you also in the DC area?

Very interesting article. Your vet, Dr. Louise Southwood, sounds very accomplished with all her research.

LOUISE SOUTHWOOD, BVSc, MS, PhD, BSc (Vet)

sout4829.jpg

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/people/faculty-clinician-search/LOUISESOUTHWOOD

The Univ. of Penn Vet hospital is really good when you have a sick animal (I know because of my Buddy), but so expensive. A lot of money is needed for research. I hope you raise thousands of dollars for Dr. Southwood's research in honor of Knox. :)

It's sad but also wonderful that he is continuing to give. In the Jewish community there is a saying that I have grown fond of:

"May his memory be for a blessing."

Thank you both. Tears. I pick up Knox's ashes tomorrow as I had him individually cremated. A lovely Amish couple in Paradise, PA does horses and Knox was too special not to have done that. NBC helped facilitate all of that with the hauler and the crematorium.

I will have him with me forever. Louise went back in and took his shoes off for me so I have them too along with a large part of his beautiful black tail.

Thank you both. Tears. I pick up Knox's ashes tomorrow as I had him individually cremated. A lovely Amish couple in Paradise, PA does horses and Knox was too special not to have done that. NBC helped facilitate all of that with the hauler and the crematorium.

I will have him with me forever. Louise went back in and took his shoes off for me so I have them too along with a large part of his beautiful black tail.

Oh, my dear friend, it must be so hard. But take those mementos and do something special with them. I know his memory will never die as long as you're alive, but through those things your connection will remain intact. It will be a way of saying "namaste" to Knox, which, in my vernacular means, "I honor the God within you."

OK, this one has twelve bedrooms and bathroom and.....

Amenities
Elevator - Granite Countertops - Patio Security System - Spa / Hot Tub - Tennis Court - Billiards Room - Hardwood Flooring - Helipad - In-Home Fitness Center - Media Room / Home Theater Outdoor Kitchen - Staff Quarters - Terrace / Outdoor Space - Wine Cellar / Grotto - Outdoor Pool - Steam Shower

I love this room.

imagereader (2).jpg

OK, this one has twelve bedrooms and bathroom and.....

Amenities
Elevator - Granite Countertops - Patio Security System - Spa / Hot Tub - Tennis Court - Billiards Room - Hardwood Flooring - Helipad - In-Home Fitness Center - Media Room / Home Theater Outdoor Kitchen - Staff Quarters - Terrace / Outdoor Space - Wine Cellar / Grotto - Outdoor Pool - Steam Shower

I love this room.

View attachment 87801

Love the Oriental carpets! I think I'll pick one of those couches and grab a throw and get real cozy. Ahhhh! If only I could be there instead of here...

The blizzard is to start Friday night and end Sunday morning. The newest forecast is 12-18" which is not that bad. All of our cars are 4WD so if I have to go to the Four Seasons or Ritz Carleton due to no power, we should be good. Do they take large German Shepherds? Hope so cuz they comin' too.

I don't know how close those hotels are to me, but hopefully out of the snow, with a generator backup. If not, Motel 6 is just fine.

If you go to a motel/hotel take a large can of Lysol and spray everything! Everything ... doorknobs, light switches, faucet and toilet handles, etc.

I always take clean flat sheets, throw blanket, my own pillows and cover their bed with my stuff. And my feet never touch the carpet. Me obsessive? Oh yeah!

------------
Oh Dear Zuri I am crying with you. I also have hair from each DeeDee , Red, and Buffy. I also have hair from my precious son Joe. Just hurts so bad.....((((hugs))))..

If you go to a motel/hotel take a large can of Lysol and spray everything! Everything ... doorknobs, light switches, faucet and toilet handles, etc.

I always take clean flat sheets, throw blanket, my own pillows and cover their bed with my stuff. And my feet never touch the carpet. Me obsessive? Oh yeah!

One of my great nephews works for a commercial pest company, and said they use plain old alcohol in a spray bottle for bed bugs.

How are you? I'v missed you and was worried about you.

One of my great nephews works for a commercial pest company, and said they use plain old alcohol in a spray bottle for bed bugs.

How are you? I'v missed you and was worried about you.

I'm OK page bender ... taking it easy. Wow life sure throws me a ball almost everyday to handle ... but so far so good. Thanks for asking!

My worst nightmare scenario, writ large:

"This storm shares characteristics of many of D.C.’s greatest snow events, such as Snowmageddon in 2010 and the blizzard of 1996. Snow amounts will probably be comparable to those during Snowmageddon, and winds may be stronger.

This is a serious and life-threatening winter storm. Preparations should begin today and be completed by Friday afternoon. Wherever you happen to be Friday evening, plan to potentially be there into Sunday or early next week."

Key points

• This is long-duration event, with snow forecast for 36 hours or so.
• Models are converging on storm onset in the noon-to-5 p.m. period on Friday.
• Conditions are the worst after dark Friday continuing through Saturday night.
• Thunder snow is possible Saturday.
• Winds may gust to 40 mph on Saturday, causing whiteout conditions and some blowing and drifting snow.
• Strong winds east of the District toward the bay.
• Biggest forecast uncertainty is near and especially southeast of the District, where there remains some potential for a dry slot that would interrupt the snow and potentially result in a brief changeover from snow to sleet, cutting down accumulations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...now-forecast-for-d-c-area/?tid=pm_local_pop_b

Zuri, GiGi and anyone else in the path of the blizzard ... please be careful and don't go outside. Broken bones hurt.

:hug:

For those that are in the path of the storm, stay warm and be safe!! :grouphug: We will miss this one (maybe an 1" or so) and I will be thinking of all that are effected by the storm.

For those that are in the path of the storm, stay warm and be safe!! :grouphug: We will miss this one (maybe an 1" or so) and I will be thinking of all that are effected by the storm.

Ditto. Everyone bunker down and stay safe. Try to stay off the roads if you can.

Here is a checklist which I hope everyone has by now:

Alcohol - check
Propane gas grill to heat up water + soup if electric goes out - check
Warm clothes and blankets - check
Alcohol (again) - check LOL
Staple foods like crackers, chips, pretzels, bread, canned foods, - check
Water - check
Fireplace if you have one - check
Alcohol (again) - check (LOL)
Battery operated flashlights and Radios - check
Spare Batteries - check
Alcohol (again) - check (LOL

LOL You get the idea. If you don't have something, then just get drunk enough to where you don't worry about it. LOL

Seriosly though. Hope everyone stays safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member