Sidebar Discussion #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew he was robbing piggy banks!
That is okay, jose - we got a cake for that too!
Crashandburnfood_Animation.gif

Well if he's buying books he sure ain't buying them over at B & N or is he?

Here's a quick snapshot to pick up your spirits.......:rocker:

Product Details

ISBN-13: 9781937856380
Publisher: BenBella Books, Inc.
Publication date: 7/3/2012
Pages: 480
Sales rank: 12,201
Product dimensions: 6.20 (w) x 8.90 (h) x 1.70 (d)

:therethere: now see how much better you feel?

:cry: I might have to edit the lilies if you think funeral. They were meant to be cheerful cheeks for Caylee - wahhhhhhhhh, epic fail for me.

I didn't make that connection at all - I thought you were celebrating the death of the 2000 mark and up in the sales rank.

Geez - sorry I said anything...::banghead:

I was thinking about the talk or rumor or whatever that baez wanted to be zimmermans lawyer. If i was in legal trouble.............. and I needed a lawyer... not even taking in to account how bad a lawyer i think jose is.. who in their right mind would want baez to be their lawyer... especially after this book.... Hes insulted judges... district attorneys,,, police .. fbi .. and in my opinion any one with half a brain....

I would think that any normal person on a jury in florida especially has heard of him.. and how horible he is.. I would be afraid Id be found guilty just becuase the jury hated him in the anthony trial...

Hope what i was trying to say makes sense... Its just that winning the casey trial verdict wouldnt make him a very likable person for most people..

I just noticed amazon shows the book is Hardcover: 480 pages. Well my book is only 423 pages. There is 7 pages not number, but that doesn't total 480. Maybe all the unanswered questions are in the missing 50 pages!:floorlaugh: Anyone have more then 423 pages?

Did you count the end papers, title page, copyright page and index, if it is not numbered? Something is not right :anguish:. JB said it is a very thick book, in every interview, I would want my money back :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: If I had actually bought it :tsktsk:

Well then, I suppose the missing link here is, "what constitutes a Best Seller"?

Baez is a shining example that it certainly isn't based on number of books sold, so what are the requirements to make the NYBSL?

A bestseller is a book that is identified as extremely popular by its inclusion on lists of currently top selling titles that are based on publishing industry and book trade figures and published by newspapers, magazines, or bookstore chains. Some lists are broken down into classifications and specialities (number one best selling new cookbook, novel, nonfiction, etc.). The New York Times Best Seller list is one of the best-known bestseller lists for the US. The New York Times Best Seller list tracks National and Independent book stores, as well as sales from major Internet retailers such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
In everyday use, the term bestseller is not usually associated with a specified level of sales, and may be used very loosely indeed in publisher's publicity. Bestsellers tend not to be books considered of superior academic value or literary quality, though there are exceptions. Lists simply give the highest-selling titles in the category over the stated period. Some books have sold many more copies than contemporary "bestsellers", but over a long period of time.

More at the link.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestseller"]Bestseller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Definitely needs music to go with!

Tequila (The Ventures) - YouTube

LOL...I just popped over to Amazon to see if the customer images I posted were still there (the two of KC being "cutesy" in the courtroom, sans jury); they were. Then I looked to the right and got a big laugh out of this:

"Sell Back Your Copy
For a $4.90 Gift Card"

Haha! Gee, not even an even $5. How lowwwwww can you goooooo?
LOL! Geez even if they gave me the book free and PAID me the $4.90, I still wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole :)

Ohhhhhh! A must read!
Amazon has also become a key player in determining a bestseller because it provides a sales rank for each book listed. By getting a high sales ranking, for example, top 100, a book can also claim bestseller status. Like the New York Times, however, if a book on Amazon sells steadily but does not sell a large number within a short timeframe, its sales rank is not likely to go up as high as a book that sells ten thousand in a week. According to Brent Sampson’s “Sell Your Book on Amazon” (2007) to acquire a ranking of 1-10, a book must sell over 500 copies in a day.

More at link~.
http://www.sellingbooks.com/what-makes-a-book-a-bestseller/

Copied from same link...

So just how many books do you need to sell to claim bestseller status? According to self-publishing guru, Dan Poynter, the number is 35,000

Did you count the end papers, title page, copyright page and index, if it is not numbered? Something is not right :anguish:. JB said it is a very thick book, in every interview, I would want my money back :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: If I had actually bought it :tsktsk:

There are 423 pages numbered, 7 pages for title, index, copyright, ect. and 7 blank pages. The lies go as far as the number of pages in his book. :banghead:

LOL. May I suggest: "Obviously Florida is not alone in having set the bar very low." (As a response to the first one.)
Or, how about suggesting Websters Dictionary, where there's explanations/meanings of words and they're even broken down for them (meaning this reviewer), on how they sound, and the real spellings! Hey that should satisfy this reader/reviewer and kill 2 birds with 1 stone! Make that 3 birds, as he/she would actually learn something useful!

Copied from same link...

So just how many books do you need to sell to claim bestseller status? According to self-publishing guru, Dan Poynter, the number is 35,000
Well, we know that NEVER happened! lol

After reading for nearly a month about "The Book aka The Doorstop," I have to summarize my feelings for the it in real-life terms.

If I read a non-fiction work, it has to be accurate. When an author and co-author go by the seats of their pants, it's a non-starter for me. Fact-checkers are worth their weight in gold. Mr. Baez has all the documents, all the videos, and all the transcripts, even of items that didn't make it into court. Apparently, neither he nor his co-author (a professional writer) didn't bother with this little step and there were so many factual errors, one can't trust anything the author has to say. Memory fails, documents are forever.

The late, great writer Dominick Dunne wrote excellent true-crime articles for Vanity Fair. A friend of mine, who knew him, said he'd miss a day in court to meet with his fact-checkers before any article of his went to press. His articles could be trusted.

From fact we move to opinion, which is quite acceptable from the person writing a non-fiction work. I might not agree with the author's point of view, but, as long as it is balanced against the facts, I may learn something.

Have any of you who bit the bullet and read or are reading the book learned anything new about the case? Or, can you get past the discrepencies and waffling of opinion?

BTW, bring out the huge Thwart Cupcake again, I need some breakfast:

Last Sale: 6 hours

July Sales: 508
June Sales: 136
Current Rank: 2,278

After reading for nearly a month about "The Book aka The Doorstop," I have to summarize my feelings for the it in real-life terms.

If I read a non-fiction work, it has to be accurate. When an author and co-author go by the seats of their pants, it's a non-starter for me. Fact-checkers are worth their weight in gold. Mr. Baez has all the documents, all the videos, and all the transcripts, even of items that didn't make it into court. Apparently, neither he nor his co-author (a professional writer) didn't bother with this little step and there were so many factual errors, one can't trust anything the author has to say. Memory fails, documents are forever.

The late, great writer Dominick Dunne wrote excellent true-crime articles for Vanity Fair. A friend of mine, who knew him, said he'd miss a day in court to meet with his fact-checkers before any article of his went to press. His articles could be trusted.

From fact we move to opinion, which is quite acceptable from the person writing a non-fiction work. I might not agree with the author's point of view, but, as long as it is balanced against the facts, I may learn something.

Have any of you who bit the bullet and read or are reading the book learned anything new about the case? Or, can you get past the discrepencies and waffling of opinion?

Nice way to wake up!
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,309 in Books

-------------------> 8:05 am now: Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,334 in Books
2000EpicFailSmaller_Animation.gif

Nice way to wake up!
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,309 in Books
2000EpicFailSmaller_Animation.gif

Just what I needed! LOL! Leave the lillies, they are also a sign of joy, as in post bridal boquets.

As you can probably tell, I just finished catching up on the fact-checking thread. Zippitydoda had an excellent post about Tony Lazzaro's testimony aobut his lack of recall of accusations of sexual abuse against George. He sure pushed the limits of that testimoy!

BTW, the testimony posted there was a proffer for Lazzaro to testify at the trial. In the end, Judge Perry ruled that it didn't meet the burden of proof to be presented to the jury. :woohoo:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8206536&postcount=49"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Fact-Checking "Presumed Guilty" by Jose Baez ***LIST ONLY, NO DISCUSSION***[/ame]

You see, Carolina Moon - jose wasn't listening again and thinks we don't listen or realize why this was in the jury instructions:

WEIGHING THE EVIDENCE
It is up to you to decide what evidence is reliable. You should use your common sense in deciding which is the best evidence, and which evidence should not be relied upon in considering your verdict. You may find some of the evidence not reliable, or less reliable than other evidence.
You should consider how the witnesses acted, as well as what they said. Some things you should consider are:
1. Did the witness seem to have an opportunity to see and know the things about which the witness testified?
2. Did the witness seem to have an accurate memory?
3. Was the witness honest and straightforward in answering the attorneys' questions?
4. Did the witness have some interest in how the case should be decided?
5. Does the witness' testimony agree with the other testimony and other evidence in the case?
6. Has the witness been offered or received any money, preferred treatment or other benefit in order to get the witness to testify?
7. Had any pressure or threat been used against the witness that affected the truth of the witness' testimony?
8. Did the witness at some other time make a statement that is inconsistent with the testimony he or she gave in court?
You may rely upon your own conclusion about the witness. A juror may believe or disbelieve all or any part of the evidence or the testimony of any witness.
http://insession.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/04/jury-instructions-in-the-casey-anthony-trial/

While I am well aware a book is not a trial and that the attorney is not on trial, seems he would inherently use the same standard, or at least close to the same standard when trying to convenience an educated reader of the facts.
I recently sat on two jury trials, the instructions in both were we were free to give weight to the statements of the witnesses and believe part or none of their testimony. If we found that we didn't believe all of their testimony, it was up to us to determine; to toss the complete testimony or believe it in part. (Bad paraphrasing, but it is early!) On one of the cases, all the major players came into court and told a completely different story than the police reports and interviews from the day of the shooting and the week after. As a jury, we ended up considering only their written statements and police interviews and fully discounted their testimony in court due to the abundance of lies.

My point is, you would think that intrinsically JB would have used the same standard (or at least close to it!) for this book.

He did not ---------> EPIC FAIL.

Just what I needed! LOL! Leave the lillies, they are also a sign of joy, as in post bridal boquets.

As you can probably tell, I just finished catching up on the fact-checking thread. Zippitydoda had an excellent post about Tony Lazzaro's testimony aobut his lack of recall of accusations of sexual abuse against George. He sure pushed the limits of that testimoy!

BTW, the testimony posted there was a proffer for Lazzaro to testify at the trial. In the end, Judge Perry ruled that it didn't meet the burden of proof to be presented to the jury. :woohoo:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Fact-Checking "Presumed Guilty" by Jose Baez ***LIST ONLY, NO DISCUSSION***

Thanks - I will leave them. To lazy to rebuild, rebake it now when a 3000 is fast approaching! LOL

Sure seems you and I are riding the same thought roller-coaster this morning! LOVE IT!!! LOL

Thanks - I will leave them. To lazy to rebuild, rebake it now when a 3000 is fast approaching! LOL

Sure seems you and I are riding the same thought roller-coaster this morning! LOVE IT!!! LOL

LOL! I ride this roller-coaster every morning and fall asleep too early to join in the fun and games!

:rollercoaster::rollercoaster: Right now we are in the down-slope portion of the ride with little ups-and-downs. Soon to come to that grinding halt.

FASCINATING interview with the Miami Herald. It's worth a read here's a sniplet about the current topic here:

You mentioned that during the case, your house went into foreclosure and sometimes you could not pay your staff. Will this book turn that around?

This book came out July 3 and has already been on the bestseller list for two weeks. If it becomes No. 1 and stays there, it may bump my pay on this case up to $4 an hour. You make huge sacrifices in a case like this.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/30/2920667/casey-anthonys-attorney-comes.html#storylink=cpy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay