Sidebar Discussion #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK...whats going on here? Stupidly I clicked on this dumb link and all it had was the *advertiser censored* pic of KC on it...and then my virus alert went on immediately. Last night the same thing happened when I stupidly clicked on the proKC website....and that same pic was on the site
Code:
Whats going on?!?!
I want to feel safe here at WS!
The very reason (not from WS though - teenagers!) my computer is STILL at the shop and I'm squinting to read you all on my phone.
Pattiemarie, as long as your security program picked it up and alerted you (sounds as though it did), you should be safe from any long-term harm. It is frightening when it happens though!

OK...whats going on here? Stupidly I clicked on this dumb link and all it had was the *advertiser censored* pic of KC on it...and then my virus alert went on immediately. Last night the same thing happened when I stupidly clicked on the proKC website....and that same pic was on the site.

Whats going on?!?!
I want to feel safe here at WS!

I think I have said this on about 10 different threads over the last year. Do not click on photos on these "Pseudo KC et al sites / profiles"!!

When you upload actual photos here I believe they go through a proper scan. When people link sites you are only as safe as your antivirus.

I lost an ENTIRE laptop when a malicious file from the "Sauce Guy" site attacked. It got past my firewall, and antivirus. I don't use the free security programs....I buy them.....way more reliable. My IT guy told me it wasn't the site itself...but an embedded code in photos on the site.

This case has brought out the very best and very worst in people. A perfect storm if you will. Given the question about KC's location....I would be very suspicious of sites "tracking her" as they are more likely "tracking you".

Is KC really worth it???

Lecture over.

@MarthaSugalski
Martha Sugalski
Jurors names in Casey Anthony case being released Tuesday

What? No emergency motions from the DT? Not holding my breath...Somebody is going to object in a motion somehow somewhere.....

I appreciate seeing that page, but the photo does not look like FCA to me...

FWIW, that particular picture came to light a lonngg time ago and there was great discussion here on whether or not it was FICA. Didn't know if you were aware of this, thought I would pass the info along and will add...be glad that the picture has been cropped !

I think I have said this on about 10 different threads over the last year. Do not click on photos on these "Pseudo KC et al sites / profiles"!!

When you upload actual photos here I believe they go through a proper scan. When people link sites you are only as safe as your antivirus.

I lost an ENTIRE laptop when a malicious file from the "Sauce Guy" site attacked. It got past my firewall, and antivirus. I don't use the free security programs....I buy them.....way more reliable. My IT guy told me it wasn't the site itself...but an embedded code in photos on the site.

This case has brought out the very best and very worst in people. A perfect storm if you will. Given the question about KC's location....I would be very suspicious of sites "tracking her" as they are more likely "tracking you".

Is KC really worth it???

Lecture over.

Dang good information! Thank You!

Is KC really worth it???

Lecture over.

Haha...thanks for the lecture. I did not click on the photos. I only clicked on the link provided and my virus scanner picked it up...then all of WS began to freeze and I couldn't move my cursor. Hurriedly got out.

Is KC really worth it???

Lecture over.

Well lectured SOTS!
Thanks. Whilst I will often go to the sites, I never click on the photos in them or any contained links.
I meant to say to Pattiemarie also, if you go to Tools on your browser then to Internet Options, you will see an option to Delete Cookies and another to delete History. It might be well worth doing so. Although, be aware you will have to navigate your way back to some places (the first time only) when you want to return to them.

I appreciate seeing that page, but the photo does not look like FCA to me...

OMG, we saw this photo way back before the trial. It is her, because someone had two photos of her side by side and they have the same moles, etc etc. But you can't see what she has in her mouth. Guess? It's a male body part. :floorlaugh:

Another public service announcement from SOTS....

There was a Time article about how data mining creates profiles of people for marketing purposes....It's an OUTSTANDING READ!!!! I was so impressed and learned so much that I just spent the last 15 minutes finding it in the Time Archives just so I could share it with you....

Here is the link.... http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,2058114,00.html

a small small small snip.....
Three hours after I gave my name and e-mail address to Michael Fertik, the CEO of Reputation.com, he called me back and read my Social Security number to me. "We had it a couple of hours ago," he said. "I was just too busy to call."

Each of these pieces of information (and misinformation) about me is sold for about two-fifths of a cent to advertisers, which then deliver me an Internet ad, send me a catalog or mail me a credit-card offer. This data is collected in lots of ways, such as tracking devices (like cookies) on websites that allow a company to identify you as you travel around the Web and apps you download on your cell that look at your contact list and location. You know how everything has seemed free for the past few years? It wasn't. It's just that no one told you that instead of using money, you were paying with your personal information.

The entire article focuses on data mining and privacy. I first read the article in July of this year...the article is from 2010.

After I read the article, I downloaded a program mentioned. It tells me what sites track my visit and what data mining programs they are using. I have the option to block them. It updates daily. Some of the sites have 10 or more mining programs!!!!!

I won't post the name here so you'll just have to read the article. Take 20 minutes and be wowed and frankly...a bit creeped out.

Might I also add......WS does not track with aggressive data mining and seems to only use basic common programs based on the Amazon book ads. What a welcome departure from other sites practices.

There was a Time article about how data mining creates profiles of people for marketing purposes....It's an OUTSTANDING READ!!!! I was so impressed and learned so much that I just spent the last 15 minutes finding it in the Time Archives just so I could share it with you....

Three hours after I gave my name and e-mail address to Michael Fertik, the CEO of Reputation.com, he called me back and read my Social Security number to me. "We had it a couple of hours ago," he said. "I was just too busy to call."

Each of these pieces of information (and misinformation) about me is sold for about two-fifths of a cent to advertisers, which then deliver me an Internet ad, send me a catalog or mail me a credit-card offer. This data is collected in lots of ways, such as tracking devices (like cookies) on websites that allow a company to identify you as you travel around the Web and apps you download on your cell that look at your contact list and location. You know how everything has seemed free for the past few years? It wasn't. It's just that no one told you that instead of using money, you were paying with your personal information.

The entire article focuses on data mining and privacy. I first read the article in July of this year...the article is from 2010.

After I read the article, I downloaded a program mentioned. It tells me what sites track my visit and what data mining programs they are using. I have the option to block them. It updates daily. Some of the sites have 10 or more mining programs!!!!!

I won't post the name here so you'll just have to read the article. Take 20 minutes and be wowed and frankly...a bit creeped out.

I would love to click on your link...but.....

I would love to click on your link...but.....

HAHAHA just go to Time's website and search for the article called....

Thursday, Mar. 10, 2011
Data Mining: How Companies Now Know Everything About You
By Joel Stein

oops my mistake the article was March 2011.

Code:

Might I also add......WS does not track with aggressive data mining and seems to only use basic common programs based on the Amazon book ads. What a welcome departure from other sites practices.

Thankyou very much SOTS. I'll certainly be reading this.
Most people with a smart phone, iPhone, Android operating system etc are unaware that, when they have Location Services turned on in their settings (for gps, maps or many other services) they are being tracked.
Telemarketers are the worst offenders for the gleaning and use of this information.
So many people fail to understand why that credit card or life insurance application ended up in their letterbox.
Unfortunately, there's not really any countermeasures we can take because we DO use our devices and these types of services in the modern age.

I've been to the site Pattymarie. Nothing untoward there. :seeya:

K....left for awhile after the horrible verdict....signing off again....do not want any viruses on my puter...weirdness lurking in KCdom...don't want to be a part of it.

God...I hope this girl ends up where she belongs.

Bye y'all... will revert to lurking now and again....

K....left for awhile after the horrible verdict....signing off again....do not want any viruses on my puter...weirdness lurking in KCdom...don't want to be a part of it.

:waitasec:Don't leave, Pattymarie! Just don't "click" on anything! Personally, I don't trust anything with her name on it so, I'll just have to rely on someone elses reports...lol I know how you feel because I couldn't bring myself to post on here for a long time, just could NOT believe that she pulled off the unthinkable! still can't...

Noooooo!
Come back

Thankyou very much SOTS. I'll certainly be reading this.
Most people with a smart phone, iPhone, Android operating system etc are unaware that, when they have Location Services turned on in their settings (for gps, maps or many other services) they are being tracked.
Telemarketers are the worst offenders for the gleaning and use of this information.
So many people fail to understand why that credit card or life insurance application ended up in their letterbox.
Unfortunately, there's not really any countermeasures we can take because we DO use our devices and these types of services in the modern age.

WD99 & SOTS, ppl would be surprised just how many crooks there are out there working on a new way to steal as soon as one is blocked! Use to we only had to worry about "mail fraud" which is why I took my job as a City Letter Carrier so serious...some didn't & would leave mail where it didn't belong. I had the college route & you'd be surprised how far back the credit card companies go when sending out solicitations!

I was told a while back about a new device crooks are using now....let's say you write a check to pay a bill, put in the mail box, raise the flag & go to work...same ole thing for years, right? Wrong, now they have some sophisticated crooks who have invented a type of scanning device that can go to your mail box, open it, scan your envelope (that has your check enclosed to pay your bill), scan it.....put your envelope back in your box...doesn't look as if they've ever been there.....but, they have a scan of not only your check but the bank, routing number, checking account number and your signature.....they go home & by the time you finally find out (the hard way) it's wayyyyyyy too late! It's a crazy world! Now, if they're smart enough to do this, imagine what they could do if they would put their knowledge to do good.....:sick:

Pattymarie: I am not being a "hater"....my computer really did get messed up I clicked on that site and I had to do a system restore. Just a fact.

I believe you, and everyone else here- many- who say they have had problems with their computers immediately after visiting that site.

I wouldn't visit any site that posed that level of risk, personally, even if it contained extremely valuable info not found anywhere else. Not visiting this particular site is a complete no-brainer, since it offers neither truth or insights into anything.

Last, no need whatsoever to get dragged down into the OCA and defenders sewer of lies and twisted words. Good grief- refusing to buy into OCA's lies and the fiction of her "innocence" and being appalled that Caylee is dead with no justice served doesn't make one a "hater,' it just makes one capable of empathy & sadness & logic, all life-affirming qualities, all obviously foreign to some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrancingJeeves