Found Deceased SLOVENIA - Jonathan "Jon" Reid Luskin, 25, American, Triglav National Park, Ljubljana, 22 Jun 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

cybervampira

Reaction score
Search continues for American missing for weeks in Slovenia

A 25-year old American teaching in Hong Kong has been missing for six weeks since he left Austria for Slovenia after a family holiday, according to his friends and relatives.

Jonathan Reid Luskin, a chemistry tutor at the ITS education centre, is due to return to Hong Kong on Saturday from his summer trip, which began on June 11. Over the past two weeks, however, various attempts by the American and Slovenian authorities to locate him have met with little success.

Luskin was last seen by his mother, Susan Stone, on the morning of June 22 in Vienna, when he left their accommodation to catch a train to Ljubljana, the Slovenian capital.

That evening, Luskin told his flatmate in Hong Kong via instant message on WhatsApp that he had arrived in the eastern European country and planned to hike in Triglav National Park over the following two days. The park is an 838 sq km protected natural area centred around Slovenia’s highest peak, Mount Triglav, about an hour’s drive northwest from downtown Ljubljana.

Luskin did not have hiking equipment with him. The tutor was wearing a shirt, a hoodie, a pair of jeans, hiking shoes and his glasses at the time he was last seen.

It is not presently known which route or trail Jon took through Triglav National Park [or] whether he was hiking alone or with others

upload_2018-8-3_8-21-23.jpegupload_2018-8-3_8-21-13.jpegupload_2018-8-3_8-24-2.jpegupload_2018-8-3_8-23-39.jpeg

Policijska uprava Ljubljana / Police Directorate Ljubljana

Missing Person: Last Seen in Vienna, Believed to Have Arrived in Ljubljana

US tutor living in Hong Kong missing while on holiday in Slovenia

American chemistry tutor living in Hong Kong missing for six weeks after leaving for Slovenia

Wisconsin man missing in Europe hasn't been heard from in weeks - Houston Chronicle

Do we know if there is any evidence he actually went to Triglav National Park? That was his plan but maybe he changed it at the last minute, met other expats and decided to stay in the capital.
Slovenia is an extremely safe country -I was there myself last June 2017, touring it on my own; never a problem- so I am still hopeful and I would like to think he is just having a great time and will board his flight back to HK tomorrow, fingers crossed!

Any sign of Internet activity during these two weeks or nothing?

My daughter, who is traveling solo through Europe this summer, was in Ljubjama, Lake Bled, Bovec, Vintgar Gorge and around Triglav National Park at the end of June! That area is VERY safe.

He could be lost, that area is massive with high peaks and narrow gorges!

Last edited:
In his last voice message to his flatmate at 12.04am on June 23, Hong Kong time (6.04pm on June 22, Slovenian time), Luskin said: “I am going to be hiking basically all this weekend, hiking out to this national park in Slovenia … I need to make sure I am going to have data because getting a functioning SIM card has been an ordeal. But if you want to call me up on WhatsApp, it should be free most of the time.”

An exchange between the two friends in the early morning of June 23 (Hong Kong time) showed that Luskin had been “peeved” after failing to get a proper SIM card after at least two attempts.

“I’m gonna pick one up when I get to Croatia in two days,” Luskin wrote.

The flatmate said the last WhatsApp response from Luskin was sent at 5.13am on June 23 (Hong Kong time), and the last message registered as received by Luskin from his flatmate was at 2.56pm.

"Last I heard, [the Slovenian police] were chasing up leads on hostels he may have stayed at … They haven’t started a search in the park yet,” Luskin’s flatmate told the Post on Friday.

US tutor living in Hong Kong missing while on holiday in Slovenia

Middleton graduate missing while vacationing in Slovenia
Jonathan Luskin's parents in Madison fear their 25-year-old son may have been gravely injured while hiking in the Central European country.

Allan Luskin and Susan Stone had been traveling with their son and his brother in Austria and Germany in June. Stone says Jonathan decided to extend his trip with a visit to Slovenia while the rest of the family returned to the U.S.
WMTV NBC15 reached out to Sen. Tammy Baldwin's office for comment: "Ms. Stone contacted our office about her son and we informed the State Department of the situation, including the U.S. Citizen Services Emergency Assistance Unit, the U.S. Embassy in Vienna, Austria and the U.S. Embassy in Ljubljana, Slovenia on Ms. Stone’s behalf, and confirmed that the State Dept. is in contact with the family. We are standing by to be helpful to the family in any way we can."

The parents are now in Slovenia working with authorities. The mother said it is clear that he is not in a hospital in Slovenia and he was last seen in a hostel in Ljubljana on June 22.

There has been no activity on Luskin's bank accounts since early June 23 and no one has heard from him. She is concerned about his safety and well-being.

Parents of Madison man missing in Europe go to Slovenia where he was last seen at a hostel

Jonathan%20Luskin_1533245938615.jpg_12659114_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Jonathan%20Luskin%202_1533245942412.jpg_12659115_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Jonathan%20Luskin%205_1533245944260.jpg_12659116_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Last edited:
Google translate:

Jonathan's mother left Slovenia on Friday - "After leaving, we will stay in contact with Slovenian police officers by e-mail and telephone. The US Embassy in Slovenia is very helpful to us, who advises us and helps us in steering, with whom to speak. The investigation is now fully in the hands of the Slovenian authorities."

He spent the night on June 23 at the H20 hostel in Ljubljana (his last ping).

Američana zapuščata Slovenijo brez sina

Parents of son missing in Europe say hope is fading

In the past 4 months, his parents got a power of attorney which gave them access to Jonathan’s financial history. They hoped it would have also given them access to Jonathan’s use of the internet and social media, but some companies won’t release the information.

Google and Tinder, which Jonathan used, would need to be subpoenaed in order to gain that data. The FBI told the parents they can’t subpoena the companies because there is still no proof of foul play in Jonathan’s disappearance.

Jonathan’s parents want access to their son’s use of Google because they said he would research and download different hiking maps for the parks he would visit. They argue it could have clues to where he may have ended up.

They also want access to his use of Tinder, a dating app, to find out who he was talking to or possibly meeting up with before he vanished.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back