Smiley Face Murders

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
ID show Breaking Homicide is doing a show on Christopher Jenkins that went missing in Minneapolis on Halloween 2002. This case was the first time I heard of smiley face killer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The quote marks are deliberate, because it's partially fiction. (No spoilers needed; this information is easy to find) The producer did not disappear, and as for the last scene, really? Over 1 million views and nobody would know who killed the director, even though their faces are clearly visible?

I really felt hoodwinked by this, because it did have some valid information.

Here's the You Tube link.

That sounds pretty arrogant on the part of the producer and director, actually. Like they think these added fillips will shed some light on the situation because they're just sooooo important? What if they do become important? Are they going to have to spend the rest of their professional lives explaining No, they themselves aren't victims, but the other people are? Or might be? Are they saying they think the whole "Smiley Face Killer" theory is nonsense? That won't be any comfort to the families of victims...

I would also like to know how they knew the killers were a group, if nobody knows who they are.

The quote marks are deliberate, because it's partially fiction. (No spoilers needed; this information is easy to find) The producer did not disappear, and as for the last scene, really? Over 1 million views and nobody would know who killed the director, even though their faces are clearly visible?

I really felt hoodwinked by this, because it did have some valid information.

Here's the You Tube link.

This Doc was very informative and I fell for the ending. I was just going to ask if the film maker in the end was ever found. It does show a shot of the guy he goes to meet but so what? What affected me is the whole concept of this "waterboarding fetish" that the film maker researches. It makes sense and it seems to be a reality which would make the actual serial killer a group or cult, if you will, and that is pretty scary.

I have been watching the show on the Oxygen channel and they don't mention anything about a waterboarding fetish being the motive but I was happy to see someone was taking a closer look and opening the cold cases up again, because I have a 26 year old son and all I know is if this ever happened to MY son, I would NEVER stop looking for him or finding out the truth.

Victims families always in my prayers,
Amy E.
Hollywood, CA

What the heck did I just watch? Documentary or cable show. Ending ruined their work. Unless their going for a millennial movie.

My story of my encounter with the Smiley Face killers

This was in a Kansas City Westport area Bar named Harpo’s, just after College football season started. the year? I’m not certain 2001 to 2004 maybe earlier. It was before dark around 7 pm , I think I went down to an art show the plaza area has, but found no parking , so I went to have a drink there and possibly try the art show later.

I entered Harpo’s bar and notice first many drunk to very drunk Nebraska corn husker fans/Alum, like they were still drinking after the game on TV was over .
the front bar sits like a reverse L. I see a bartender at this short section and approach but there are three college age white men together blocking me from it. Two are around 5’7” or less, the other around 6 ft (my size), I try to get around the smaller ones but they move to block me. It is loud in the bar with the Neb. fans.
I moved one of the guys out enough to squirt through, only to have the other short guy block me from the bar. I was not wanting to fight these guys for a beer and tried to leave but the taller guy blocked that, also I saw this guy had a fake gote or mullet mustache , but of the quality of stage
make-up, which seemed very strange. Then the guys started talking to themselves around me, I moved to squeeze thru, twice but it was going to come to a shoving match. I was looking to catch the beer-tender to order a draft beer and to move away from these guys.

They started talking actors ,loud enough I could hear every word, arguing about the best US actor, they seemed to really be into actors/ pro acting.
they said which one they liked and then why he /she was best. The guy my height ,I’ll call Goate moved near me and asked me the actor question.
I stated I don’t know then said Jack Nickolson, just to end the conversation. I attempted to evade these 3 again got passed the 1st but the others blocked me, then that they would get me a beer, and soon the man at the bar was getting a bottled beer , not what I wanted.
One of the smaller guys moved to Goate and whispered something ,Goate answered back ....yeah it’s on. I should say these 20 something men were prep-y dressed , Goate in a jeans with a tweed sport coat. the beer bottle was on the bar and Goate asked for the $ which was Budweiser which I never drink.

As he reached into pay and hand me the bottle his sport coat left side opened up, I starred at a 2in. plus sized yellow smiley face button, and the odd condition of it ,Goate saw that I was starring at it and encouraged me to see it in detail. I did the bottom of it had 5 stress cracks in the paint like it got bent but also there were 15 -20 3/16 in. scratches made with a scratch all, some very fresh, some yrs old. Why would he like to have this messed up button, I wondered. Also there was a small orange one and I think a faded very small half in. pink one.
Goate took my bottle and turned away from me , hiding it from me for 30 sec. I tried once to spin him around ,then he handed it to me , I knew something was up and did not drink from it , although a short guy insisted I do I took a fake drink and swallow and saw them have a sigh of relief.

In a booth back of us three hot babes were there, with a guy that looked like Goate’s twin Bro, sitting like he just popped over to talk to them.
The guys kept ignoring me trying to push past them, I still motioning to move away one of them clanged his bottle to mine and the foam erupted out of it . I used this as a tool to put it on this smaller guy and he moved not wanting to get it on his clothes.
I escaped and was walking around to the long part of the bar , I had to hold up because of the rowdy college football fans in the way.
I got a feeling I needed to turn around and finnally did to see the shorter more aggressive guy trying to sneak up crouched way over to not be seen with something ,I thought was a knife in his R hand , I caught his head and held it down ,he moved that R hand up to expose a loaded up syringe.

I was able to grab his r wrist with my L hand and dropped my beer in my R and finally used it to take the syringe away from him , I’m yelling at this guy and people are aware of whats going on , a scuffle. the guy fell to the floor and got away from me ,running back to his group , A Neb. fan a young attractive ,very drunk , pointed out shouting “Hes got a syringe” The bartender was looking at me and said call the police! I stated one of them had it and tried to use it on me ,I pointed to the group of guys ,this bartender looked that way as did I , they were in the process of skeedataling ASAP . and the guy with the 3 hot girls was notified by Goate and he reluctantly got up starring at me as he did he told another short guy come on we are going, so there were 5 men involved in this.

The bartender yelled at me to bring him the syringe ,which I did telling him the pertinent events that just happened , that I took it away from the guy as he snuck up on me to use it. He said I believe you we called security 25 min. ago on them,but they never came.
I think one of the bouncers was ordered to and was following them as they fled. some of the Neb. gang were going to grab me drunk as they were, I headed out the back and left a minute or 2 later thinking these guys could regroup and sneak up on me.

About this time we had a Shakespeare in the park play , only a mile away I think this guy with the fake gote was part of it and or toured the country to perform in these plays , I think he had the awful looking thing (Gote) on so pretty girl would make fun of him then he could say ,yeah I doing Shakespeare in the park , a pretty good comeback and panty dropper.

I had seen a news segment on TV about this Smiley face killers some time before, when it happened I didn’t associate this with them until replaying the event in my head weeks or months later. note I complained about the price of this beer Goate exclaimed man that's $6 in anywhere in NY. another said or Iowa. places they are suspected to have killed as I understand.

I would pass a lie detector test if a detective here ( are there any ever ,thought I saw some claim to be ) got interested , I'm just posting my story .

Now after posting the one above , I knew I remembered something else about these guys ,but really could not put my finger on it , then I did . actually two times .
I think it was a couple of years before that I went to the Plaza art show around 4:30 pm and getting tired walking, standing I headed back to the car around 7:15 I parked near the main Nelson Museum
so walking up the side walk which borders South Moreland park ,where the Shakespeare in the park was going on , so at the nearest point I stopped to take it in from there. some 220 ft est. from the stage. I watched for 4 or 5 minutes when two 5ft 7in 20 something white males approached me , only one spoke , I thought he was going to ask for $ . No he seems to think he is with security ,although he is just in plain clothes but casual dress,. . asks me "what are you doing sir" going back to my car , I said. he closes the gap[ to me saying you cannot watch the play for free.

they do not have control of the sidewalks ,or road ,I stated now the other guy his size moved to my other side and I approached the first guy , both of these were Identical to the guys I talked of in Harpo's . they seemed to have a grin ,like maybe they had a knife , etc. also a taller male identical to the one with the fake beard in Harpo's was 12 ft away . if they confronted /fought me I was going for the first one , the play was in the few last minutes , some patrons were standing up to leave .
Then a man in black a 30 something black man , with a security vest approaches , asks me what is going on I say they are causing the trouble , and soon he agrees telling me you are okay to stand there or go on which seconds later I did . It kind of seemed the guard knew of these guys
I would bet they were the same men that attacked me .

In 98 or 99 I believe strongly it was late spring 99 . I went mountain biking in Blue river park
I was on the easy to get to E trail , but wanting to find a easy way to ride on the trails W of the river
the only way I knew to cross was a 8-10 ft diameter pipe that acts as a dam 400 ' S of red bridge road , I had watched experienced riders cross this and some nearly slipped of , which could be bad ,or drown you. I had never tried , I think I started across once but 30 ft down worked the bike back the other way, riding back . I sat there wondering if a rider would come and cross , minutes later I heard some people talking coming this way but slower than riders .
Also on a tree right beside me was something strange I thought .... more on it later.

I am looking across the river when the three men come up behind me talking softly. soon I sense they are right on me , I turn around to see two 5' 6' guys and a taller one laying back . Most every body on the trails is stand offish ,or semi friendly .
again the one closest to me starts trouble ( although this happened before the Harpos event)
he says with a smirk "come on go for it" I said Na I think I'll pass , I think he is ribbing me ,kinda playful . then he comes in to grab the handle bars which I pushed him away ,saying he man what do you think you're doing . now both of the guys grab the bike I lay it over ,other 2nd one had it away from me except for my right hand , I think they were going to throw it in the water.
The taller guy moved up 5 feet away , with that I jumped on it and drove it across the pipe concentrating on staying on the top 8 in. I made it 1/3 the way across and they were laughing , then the 1st guy comes after me walking across . at 2/3 s across it gets mossy and dicey and the guy is closing in ,but I think he slips but stays on the pipe .

I see 2 or 3 other riders on the W side and I called help! ,but got none . near the bank you have to pick up the speed because the bank is 2 ft higher than the pipe also you have hit a rut off center of the pipe , I struggled but barely mane it the guy chasing me was only 10 ft back ,I rode away then exited the park and went over on some residencial streets for 40 min. then took the roads back to my car and made it , it would have done little good to call 911 , I might of at home but think not .

What was on the tree? .... I thought it weird , a smiley mouth and eyes from yellow spray paint , months later with gobs of riders on the trails I went back the smiley face now had a pink dot in the forhead area ...like a bullet hole.

He's not buying it, but he has an open mind. I also think the group killer idea is a tough one to accept, but I think it is possible, especially with the existence of the internet, which I wouldn't doubt is used by the killer/s somehow. Victims may even be identified initailly through MySpace or Facebook.

Far tougher to accept, though, in my mind, is that this many young men fitting a profile would drown in this manner. I think drowning statistics would bear out the unlikelihood of that scenario. The smiley faces, the hair clutched in Jenkins' hand, the clothes folded neatly at some of the body sites, people saying these young men were not all that drunk, the common locations, etc. Just too many suspicious things to ignore.

Eve

Does the ME ever find hypodermic needle holes in the skin of the victims? Immobilizing drugs in system ? Is any of that info released ?

The Smiley face murder theory (variations include Smiley face murders, Smiley face killings, Smiley face gang, and others) is a theory advanced by retired New York City detectives Kevin Gannon and Anthony Duarte, and Dr. Lee Gilbertson, a criminal justice professor and gang expert at St. Cloud State University.[1] They allege that a number of young men found dead in bodies of water across several Midwestern American states from the late-1990s to the 2010s[2] did not accidentally drown, as concluded by law enforcement agencies, but were victims of a serial killer or killers.

The term smiley face became connected to the alleged murders when it was made public that the police had discovered graffiti depicting a smiley face near locations where they think the killer dumped the bodies in at least a dozen of the cases. Gannon wrote a textbook case study on the subject titled, "Case Studies in Drowning Forensics".[3][4] The response of law enforcement investigators and other experts has been largely skeptical.

Smiley face murder theory - Wikipedia

Interesting as this is, the case itself presents something important: a traceable victimology. The victims tended to be male, popular, white, in their mid-20s, and college students. Similarly, all of the victims were drowned and were found in water.

Anyone have any insights?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
earworm
Back