SoCal fires continue thread 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they only suspect the Orange County Santiago fire was arson. They found 3 places where it was set and some incendiery devices.

the San Onofre Nuclear Reactors have been shut down.

Jbean Did they say how close the fire is to the reactor?

I think the smoke from Foothill and the smoke from Horno are coming together over LN and SJC. it is absolutely AWFUL where I am. i am just off the Junipero Serra exit.
I think because the winds are dying down the smoke just wafts around. but it sure looks like ther is alot going on out my window here at the office.

Yes the smoke is horrible.. worse today than the last few days.. cough cough.. Looks like it should be cool outside but instead it's only smoke..

Why are you guys at work?! What kind of slavedrivers make you work when the state is going up in flames?!

I thought they wanted people to stay home and off the roads anyway? I say take off work and head home! Call in sick!

Our boss gave us an option to stay or go. I'm ok being here at work, home is just as bad or maybe worse..

The sun is no longer casting any shadows anywhere around us (Foothill Ranch in Orange County). We are evacuating the office because two of the three fires have hit the tops of the ridges and we can see those very tall, haunting, bright orange flames.

I'll be back online once I get home and settled.

Good luck everyone.

I've been watching this closely and have not heard from my friends in San Diego yet as to how they are doing.

I was also wondering, since someone brought up the Petersons, about the Van Dams and if they were still in Poway as well as the convicted man's brother-in-law who went by Cletus. I've lost touch with several posters from back in days of the David Westerfield case (where I met our Dear Love Mama) who had just bought a place in Rancho Bernardo. Just in case you read any forums, hope you are OK Miss and Mister.

Ziggy.........Who just bought a house in Rancho Bernardo........the VanDams?
Sound's like you thought I bought a house there..?????

Cletus lived in East San Diego.........in the Rolando area. (a kinda scary place now, with lots of gangs in the neighborhood.

Thanks for posting Ziggy, you're the best even though I don't think we agreed on everything in the Westerfield case..No doubt the the *advertiser censored* Westerfield did it and I hope he rots in hell. I wonder why they never ever found Westerfields finger prints in Daniel's bedroom?

hehehehehhe I started this thread so I'm allowed to go off topic for a minute.:D

xxxxxxxxxxoooooo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

The sun is no longer casting any shadows anywhere around us (Foothill Ranch in Orange County). We are evacuating the office because two of the three fires have hit the tops of the ridges and we can see those very tall, haunting, bright orange flames.

I'll be back online once I get home and settled.

Good luck everyone.

:blowkiss: to you mesnowmom... I saw those fires on my way to work this morning and once again when I got to the office. A few guys I work with live in that area and had to leave... It's ugly out :(

Ziggy.........Who just bought a house in Rancho Bernardo........the VanDams?
Sound's like you thought I bought a house there..?????

Cletus lived in East San Diego.........in the Rolando area. (a kinda scary place now, with lots of gangs in the neighborhood.

Thanks for posting Ziggy, you're the best even though I don't think we agreed on everything in the Westerfield case..No doubt the the *advertiser censored* Westerfield did it and I hope he rots in hell. I wonder why they never ever found Westerfields finger prints in Daniel's bedroom?

hehehehehhe I started this thread so I'm allowed to go off topic for a minute.:D

xxxxxxxxxxoooooo
mama

I am just glad you are safe. Looking forward to hearing about Grace tomorrow.:blowkiss:

I think the smoke from Foothill and the smoke from Horno are coming together over LN and SJC. it is absolutely AWFUL where I am. i am just off the Junipero Serra exit.
I think because the winds are dying down the smoke just wafts around. but it sure looks like ther is alot going on out my window here at the office.

Bean, Get a MASK. Get a GOOD one. All of the letter carriers down here are wearing them today.

I'm almost sure my girlfriend has lost her house in Arrowhead. I can't get hold of her........no anwser.

xxxxxxxooooo
mama

Cincy news telling what to pack for evac. Good for all of us to know I guess.

Food
Clothing
Personal Items
Medications
Cell phones, laptops, and the chargers
Birth certificates
SS cards
Passports
Home insurance policies
A home inventory

(and I will add that if you have room, take your photos and any sentimental items you can as those cannot be replaced)

Masteriew, let me add.........all the boxes of genealogy records you been working on for years!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooo
mama

More here:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-arson25oct25,0,1196901.story?coll=la-home-center

Arson suspect killed, another arrested

Police in San Bernardino shoot an Arizona man who fled after being spotted near the Cal State campus. In a separate incident, a Hesperia man is in custody.
By Hector Becerra and Maeve Reston, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
3:13 PM PDT, October 24, 2007
Amid worries of new blazes adding to the firestorm already afflicting the region, a man in Hesperia has been arrested on suspicion of arson, and police reported shooting and killing another arson suspect after chasing him out of scrub behind Cal State San Bernardino.

Law enforcement officials said today that they didn't know whether either of the men had started any of the more than a dozen large fires that have devastated Southern California in recent days, including the nearby Lake Arrowhead blaze. The brush fire in Hesperia was quickly extinguished by residents.

Photo Gallery
Day 4: A Glimmer of Hope

Photo Gallery
Reader Photos: SoCal Fires Rage

Graphic
Southern California burns
click to enlarge
Related
- SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA FIRES - COMPLETE COVERAGE

Investigators have said that at least two of the huge wildfires, one in Orange County and the other in Temecula, were the work of arsonists.

The confrontation that ended in the shooting death started about 6 p.m. Tuesday when San Bernardino university police spotted a man in a rural area of flood channels and scrub near the campus. University police tried to detain the man, but he got into his car and fled, authorities said. When he began to ram officers' vehicle, they shot him.

The suspect is described as a 27-year-old man with a home address in Arizona. Sheriff's investigators will search his impounded pickup truck pending a search warrant, Lt. Scott Patterson of the San Bernardino Police Department said this afternoon.

No additional information, including his identity will be released until Thursday.

"We don't know whether he was an arsonist," Patterson said. "What was related by the Cal State police was that they tried to contact him as a suspicious person in a brush area. Things being how they are, there was a suspicion that he could be an arsonist."

The area near the campus had been affected by the massive Old Fire of 2003, Patterson said, adding that "it's very fire-prone. It's an area that would be very devastated if a fire were to start there."

San Bernardino police joined campus authorities in pursuit of the suspect. He drove north on Waterman Avenue and up a dirt fire road into the foothills. When officers tried to take him into custody, he began to batter officers' vehicles with car, Patterson said. Officers shot and killed him.

"Both agencies' officers fired," said University Police Chief Jimmie Brown, who added that it was not known who fired the fatal shot. "But right now, we don't know too much more."

The shooting is being investigated by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department, which is routine for officer-involved shootings

Whole story on link above.

xxxxxxxxxoooooo
mama

CBS News had a special report about the wildfires. One victim they discussed was a woman whose home burned in a fire when she was a kid. She came to Cali. a few years back to visit her bro. The day she arrived was one of the bad earthquakes. She lived in New Orleans and had to evac during Katrina. She moved into a house in Cal. 3 weeks ago. Now she has been ordered to evac and is refusing.

She sent two of her children with friends or relatives, but her youngest was sick and she said she thought a shelter would be too hard on him so she was staying because she was close to the hospital.

Are the college students in a safe area? U. of C. at San Diego?

Yes.........no problems there. Well, UCSD is close to me, near Torrey Pines. It it got that far........I'd be in trouble too!

Martha, I'm getting a baby girl granddaughter tomorrow. C-section at 9:00.
Promise me you'll say a prayer that everything goes well!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

xxxxxxxxxooooooo
mama

I am just glad you are safe. Looking forward to hearing about Grace tomorrow.:blowkiss:

Thank you a million times CP. This is my only daughter now and I am so excited I just can't believe it. Prayers and hugs always for Paige.

xxxxxxxxxoooooooo
mama

CBS News had a special report about the wildfires. One victim they discussed was a woman whose home burned in a fire when she was a kid. She came to Cali. a few years back to visit her bro. The day she arrived was one of the bad earthquakes. She lived in New Orleans and had to evac during Katrina. She moved into a house in Cal. 3 weeks ago. Now she has been ordered to evac and is refusing.

She sent two of her children with friends or relatives, but her youngest was sick and she said she thought a shelter would be too hard on him so she was staying because she was close to the hospital.
Yeah, going to a shelter is so much harder on him than staying where they might get burned alive. What is up with her? Just because she survived those disasters doesn't mean she'll get lucky this time, and the child should not be put in danger because she feels invulnerable or is tired of evacuating.

Yes.........no problems there. Well, UCSD is close to me, near Torrey Pines. It it got that far........I'd be in trouble too!

xxxxxxxxxooooooo
mama

Absolutely!!

I'm not Martha but I've been thinking about you and your DD all day. :) I hope everything goes smooth as silk tomorrow. I'm so excited for you guys!!

xxxxxxxxxooooooo
mama

Love-Mama, this has definitely been on my mind; and I hope all is safe with you 3, and everything goes well tomorrow.

Grace is such a lovely name - and I know you have great doctors and everything will be fine. Sometimes babies are born along with an unusual "weather event" - my son came 2 weeks early as a hurricane hit Texas in 1980.

I hope she won't be a flamin' Grace.....;)

My little girl is 13 weeks along, now. We won't know the sex for a few weeks.

Yeah, going to a shelter is so much harder on him than staying where they might get burned alive. What is up with her? Just because she survived those disasters doesn't mean she'll get lucky this time, and the child should not be put in danger because she feels invulnerable or is tired of evacuating.

I am with you Details. When they showed her with the kid I am sitting here shaking my head- and I won't say what I said! I could have seriously felt sorry for her up until that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298