SoCal fires continue thread 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 burned bodies have been found in the Santiago fire at Trabuco.

That is very sad. Here in San Diego, they were saying that most of the fire injuries at the Harris fire (down by the border at Tecate) were undocumented workers who were either trying to cross into the US or living in the brush.

I heard on the radio this morning. That they think some of the people who took refugee at Quailcom were homeless people not impacted by the fires. I heard that shook my head and said who cares. If the homeless got some free food and clothes no big deal to me.

The biggest problem with the Bush arrival is that ALL air traffic in the area
has been grounded between the hours of 9 am and 3 pm PDT.

That means the big airplanes to fight the fires, are grounded.

WHAT? Bush is more important than our fires? How 'bout a Bush fire.. hehe :D ok, maybe not funny but I had to toss it out there anyway.. hehe

Smoke is bad today.. :( I'm really feeling it. I think it's been building up in my system..

Here is an update from the Wild Animal Park, for those of you who were following the evacuation.

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/wordpress/default/fire-update-from-the-wild-animal-park/

It is sad that two animals were lost. But I was glad to know that they weren't burned. For some reason that eased my mind a bit.

I understand :( I would FREAK OUT if my dogs were trapped .. :(

Did I mention it is VERY SMOKEY OUT.. cough cough.. Glad no winds but boy we could sure use some rain and wind right now..

You've all been talking about the smoke. If your air conditioners or any thing else use filters you have to buy, you may want to get them now. There will be a rush for them after the smoke clears.

Question: Is Bush wearing a mask?

I heard on the radio this morning. That they think some of the people who took refugee at Quailcom were homeless people not impacted by the fires. I heard that shook my head and said who cares. If the homeless got some free food and clothes no big deal to me.

Ah, corruption!!! This calls for a thorough investigation!!!

You've all been talking about the smoke. If your air conditioners or any thing else use filters you have to buy, you may want to get them now. There will be a rush for them after the smoke clears.

Question: Is Bush wearing a mask?

Yes, a Hot Air Mask.

According to the news, these are the latest figures for San Diego County:

Harris fire, 81,000 acres burned, now in Jamul, 10% contained, full containment expected by Sunday

Poomacha fire, 35,000 acres burned, 50 homes burned, near Riverside County line, 20% contained, full containment expected in 1 week

Rice fire, 9,000 acres burned, 250 homes/buildings burned, 30% contained

Horno fire, 17,000 acres burned, on Camp Pendleton, 45% contained

Witch fire, 200,000+ acres burned, 750 homes/buildings burned, 20% contained

Two confirmed dead from Poway fire- a couple who were warned to evacuate and stayed but didn't make it out of their home on time

An SDG&E helicopter surveying power lines went down in the Rancho Bernardo area with two aboard, but neither hurt seriously

All major interstates except I-15 remain open in both directions

I-15 has some ramps being worked on due to fire damage and causing slowing

Very good point, Nova. Also, no doubt it is being handled better by the local government out there, too.

Eve

The San Diego mayor, Sanders, is also getting kudos for opening up Qualcom Stadium the first night and setting up other shelters at local high schools. He's been on the news every day coordinating with fire officials, Dept. of Forestry and CHP.

Update on the helicopter crash- 3 in the copter, paramedics on the scene, only minor injuries.

News says "tens of thousands" allowed to return home today.

It's very smoky here and smells horrible. Funny how we take clean air for granted.

There have been two suspects arrested for arson here in Vista. They apparently tried to start a brushfire this morning several miles from where I live and were turned in by neighbors. One is a juvenile.

The biggest problem with the Bush arrival is that ALL air traffic in the area
has been grounded between the hours of 9 am and 3 pm PDT.

That means the big airplanes to fight the fires, are grounded.

You're kidding! That cannot be!

Update on the helicopter crash- 3 in the copter, paramedics on the scene, only minor injuries.

News says "tens of thousands" allowed to return home today.

It's very smoky here and smells horrible. Funny how we take clean air for granted.

No, what's funny is that we now think of our usual Southern California air as "clean." Einstein was right: everything is relative. ;)

The Santigao Cyn fire is still very bad as we lost some ground last night

Santiago fire pushes into Cleveland National Forest

Flames push south and east, and could reach Riverside County today. Fire containment back to 30%, officials say.

By DOUG IRVING and SAL HERNANDEZ
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
Comments 0| Recommend 94

Exhausted firefighters struggling to hold the line against the massive Santiago wildfire had hoped to catch a break today as the ferocious winds that had kept them running began to die down.
But the fire showed no signs of giving up so quietly. By this morning, it was tearing through the Cleveland National Forest, threatening thousands of homes and putting communities as far away as Riverside County on alert.
The flames were spreading in two directions – northeast through the forest, and south toward the fire-weary communities around Williams Canyon and Hamilton Truck roads. Firefighters at one point thought they had the fire 50 percent contained, but acknowledged late Wednesday that it had again spun out of their control and was only 30 percent contained
http://www.ocregister.com/news/fire-flames-county-1903818-wednesday-concepcion

Those fires which are suspected to be arson. Can the suspects be charged with murder if people died in the fires?

So happy to hear that you have good news LatteDa! That has to feel so good to think of sleeping in your own bed now! How are things around you?

Yes, sleeping in my own bed was WONDERFUL. What a pain it was to evacuate with 2 dogs. I can't imagine what it would be like to have more animals. The kids thought it was an adventure. The first day was OK, but it got old really quick the second day. At a neighborhood fire meeting last month, the fireman that addressed us told us not lock doors when evacuating, so I think we worried about our houses not being locked up as much we did about the fire.

Everyone in our neighborhood is feeling lucky and relieved, even though our houses smell like ashtrays. Now the clean up begins. Some people still have not been cleared to go back to their homes, so I know their patience must be wearing thin. I wish those people well.

Good News, Good News, Bad news

The winds have reversed.

The fires are now all being brought under control.

The smoke, from the last four days, that is up to 800 miles out to sea, now, because of the wind reversal, will begin to come back in.

QUOTE=LatteDa;1759453]Everyone in our neighborhood is feeling lucky and relieved, even though our houses smell like ashtrays. Now the clean up begins. Some people still have not been cleared to go back to their homes, so I know their patience must be wearing thin. I wish those people well.[/QUOTE]

FEMA is there and will help out with clean/sanitize expenses as well as possible reimbursement for hotels/lodging costs during evactuations...if you have ash or heavy smoke in you house or embedded in your clothing/furnishings..call the FEMA Hotline or register thru their website (www.fema.gov) and apply for assistance. People don't realize that there is finanacial help or possible reimbursement for all residents affected, not only the unforturnate who may have lost everything.

It's worth a toll-free call to FEMA and a few minutes of your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298