Social Distancing-the good, bad and downright ugly.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Cubby

fly the W!
Reaction score
I hope it's ok to start this thread. I'm frustrated with people ignoring social distancing guidelines. Yesterday was Mother's day and while I'm stuck home waiting for the curve to start trending downwards. I was dumbfounded just to observe my neighbors activity.

One neighbor, an elderly couple, had 5 cars and everyone of their adult children and their adult children's family visiting.

Another neighbor, I observed no less than eight people pile out of their Jeep.

Do people not understand their activity is only prolonging our stay home orders?

Ok, here's a good one. Anyone using the Walmart grocery app? Curbside pickup at Walmarts that offer it is amazing!

You place you order, select a pick up time a few days out. You can add to, delete, check to see if things are in stock and add me to your order until 12 to 15 hours before your pick up time, which is a 1 hour window. Which is great to add to your list/order as you discover new necessities.

When you get there you pull into a designated parking spot. Call or text that you are there, pop the trunk open and someone brings your order out and puts it in your trunk.

You have a choice on whether or not to substitute items, the choice to accept the substitutions at pick up, and the employee signs for you.

Almost zero contact AND the app keeps your list for future orders.

AND it's not limited to grocery items. It's pretty much anything available at your store. Painting supplies, turpentine, barbeque items, etc.

I love this so much, I think I am going to shop like this long after social distancing ends. Don't even have to get out of your car.

My sis & sister-in-law both did this from the beginning of the service.

Funny thing is, other than being female, that's about the only thing they have in common!

Glad you found a solution to some of the current problems, Cubby!

I was in a different grocery store today. Arrows on the floor to show the direction of each aisle.

I was in an aisle with 4 other shoppers, all walking the same direction to avoid contact with each other. All watching to be sure we don't bump another shopper.

And you guessed it, a couple came around the corner the wrong way & ran their cart right into the leader of my orderly little pack!

Your vocabulary word for the day is COVIDIOT.

And, 2/3 of the items didn't ring up at the shelf price.

As if I didn't already have a headache -- and a 5 PM ZOOM meeting.

JMHO YMMV

I went to Costco for senior hour and it looked like a Saturday. All ages, families, etc. I couldn’t get in the entrance because people had stopped to talk, look at beach toys at the entrance, etc. I got anxious and left.

I went to Costco for senior hour and it looked like a Saturday. All ages, families, etc. I couldn’t get in the entrance because people had stopped to talk, look at beach toys at the entrance, etc. I got anxious and left.

Sorry this happened to you. Why on earth do some people do that? Senior hour should be just that. I'm closely headed for that age group so I understand how you feel. I'm surprised no Costco employee approached them and politely informed them to return during a later hour. I don't go to Costco and don't have a clue about that store.

My neighborhood is the same, everyone piled in for Mother’s Day and now the dozen or more kids from the immediate few houses are all out playing with each other in our communal yard from about 8 am til bedtime.

My husband shops Costco senior hour and the store has it super well managed. For one thing the senior hour is 8am when families aren’t moving yet. The store is very strict about 1 person one cart. I’d definitely call the manager to voice your concern. I can’t imagine that Costco headquarters would want to be known for improper safety precautions.

Our Costco has been great during this, but went yesterday and things have certainly changed. No more entrance set up like they had, you just walk right up now. It is mandatory to wear masks there, but people are all over the place, knocking into you again (you know the type) like before this. Our state is in phase 1 reopening (with extended phase 1 starting Monday...more like phase 2 ) so it seems that some people are going back to before this. I have seen this elsewhere...many without masks on now and traffic is back to the usual.

My neighbors a few doors down have had continual parties. Just walked my puppy and the cars are lined up again and they are loud today. With the exception of another house in our neighborhood, everyone else has been great.

Last edited:
My husband shops Costco senior hour and the store has it super well managed. For one thing the senior hour is 8am when families aren’t moving yet. The store is very strict about 1 person one cart. I’d definitely call the manager to voice your concern. I can’t imagine that Costco headquarters would want to be known for improper safety precautions.
Our Costco senior hour is 9-10am.
The parking lot was FULL.
I am not normally an anxious person but since I’m caring for my parents I’ve become more aware than pre-pandemic.

Picked up my weekly Walmart order yesterday. Told the employee who brought my groceries I've been raving about how great they are, it's like Nordstrom service at Walmart.

If possible I avoid shopping on the weekends. I have no patience for weekend crowds.

Anyone notice how crazy people are driving since the pandemic? Yesterday I had one guy in a work van wail on his horn at me because I made a complete stop at a stop sign. Then 10 minutes later I had a guy wail on his horn because I didn't turn on red while oncoming traffic was turning left. I gave him the one finger salute with my whole arm out the window.

I have a few things to pick up that WM didn't have and I am dreading going out.

Ok, here's a good one. Anyone using the Walmart grocery app? Curbside pickup at Walmarts that offer it is amazing!

You place you order, select a pick up time a few days out. You can add to, delete, check to see if things are in stock and add me to your order until 12 to 15 hours before your pick up time, which is a 1 hour window. Which is great to add to your list/order as you discover new necessities.

When you get there you pull into a designated parking spot. Call or text that you are there, pop the trunk open and someone brings your order out and puts it in your trunk.

You have a choice on whether or not to substitute items, the choice to accept the substitutions at pick up, and the employee signs for you.

Almost zero contact AND the app keeps your list for future orders.

AND it's not limited to grocery items. It's pretty much anything available at your store. Painting supplies, turpentine, barbeque items, etc.

I love this so much, I think I am going to shop like this long after social distancing ends. Don't even have to get out of your car.

we've been doing it a lot - you might find the grocery thread interesting

DH and I ventured out to the nursery yesterday for our annuals and potting soil. The parking lot was packed like any other Memorial Day weekend, but many people were outdoors in the yard where there are trees and shrubs. Indoors was somewhat crowded, but most people wore masks and kept their distance. We were in and out in less than an hour. This was the first time that I had been anywhere but Nino Salvaggio's food, and DH asked if I felt safe. I told him, yes, for the most part, except for when I noticed a few people not wearing masks. Bordine's website specifically mentioned in their COVID-19 store rules that all customers must wear masks. I guess there will always be people who think that rules don't apply to them.

Tomorrow is my 50th b-day. Originally planned a big family/friends BBQ and then a trip to celebrate. Neither happening now because of this !#%^! virus and social distancing, feeling a bit sorry for myself yesterday and had a pretty bad week at work. Came home to find the entire front of my townhouse decorated, my driveway filled with chalk drawings, and lots of presents on my front steps. My neighbor was outside and said to me, your girlfriends were here for about an hour today. I burst into tears because I was so touched by the gesture and had an AH-Ha moment that even though we are separated, and not spending time with our family/friends, I am truly blessed that I have such a great group of people in my life that took the time to make my 50th still special.

I was very disturbed to see how many people were ignoring the safety regulations on US beaches and in parks in Toronto. You can bet your bottom dollar there will be a spike in cases wherever some of these people go. As of yesterday, my province (Manitoba) has only 17 cases of Covid and not a single person in our hospitals because of it. Granted our population is very low (1.37 million), but we do have a city of approx. 750,000. Our compliance rate has been pegged at 87-89%, and the result is we now have a fair bit of freedom because of it. Even so, we are showing self- discipline, following rules with great care. When laws are broken, heavy fines are imposed. Now any case that pops up will be pounced on immediately.

My nephew is a doctor, and he and his fellow health care workers are SO grateful we did not let this terrible virus take hold here. The social pressure to comply from friends, family and neighbours was immense. Harder to do in dense populations, I know, but California has been able to contain the virus through strict measures. They've done better than Canada, and they have 40 million people packed together in their state compared to 37 million of us Canadians spread across our vast land.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14
Back