Somalia - German female Red Cross nurse abducted, Mogadishu, May 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...male-staffer-abducted-somali-capital-54893347
Armed gunmen stormed into the International Committee of the Red Cross compound in Somalia's capital and abducted a German nurse on its staff, the aid group said late Wednesday.

The kidnapping of the woman in Mogadishu was the latest in a series of targeted attacks on aid workers in the long-chaotic Horn of Africa nation. It came a day after a Somali employee with the World Health Organization was shot dead by two men who approached her in a busy market in the capital.
The nurse was abducted despite the presence of several security guards, police Capt. Mohamed Hussein told The Associated Press. He said the guards had been arrested
We are deeply concerned about the safety of our colleague," Daniel O'Malley, the deputy head of the Red Cross delegation in Somalia, said in a statement. "She is a nurse who was working every day to save lives and improve the health of some of Somalia's most vulnerable people."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-43986764
attachment.php

The government suspects a security guard from this ICRC compound assisted the kidnappers
The 10 remaining international staff are being evacuated to Nairobi until further notice, the ICRC told the BBC.
We are deeply concerned about the safety of our colleague," said Daniel O'Malley, the ICRC's deputy head of delegation for Somalia, in a statement.Ms Nientiet, who has worked for the ICRC since 2014 in conflict zones, arrived in Somalia in January. She had been delivering first aid training to local Somalis in the capital this week.

An ICRC spokeswoman told the BBC: "She is a nurse who spends her days caring for vulnerable people in Somalia - a true humanitarian."

Staff believe the kidnappers took their colleague out through a back door, avoiding security guards stationed at the main entrance of the ICRC compound, Reuters reported.
Witnesses told AFP news agency they saw a guard help the kidnappers put Ms Nientiet into a waiting vehicle with a punctured tyre.
rbbm.

Attachments

• _101149070_mediaitem101149068.jpg
    _101149070_mediaitem101149068.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 130
The ICRC said in a statement the abduction occurred around 8 pm (1700 GMT) on Wednesday.

The nurse, Sonja Nientiet, has worked for the ICRC since 2014 in conflict zones, including Syria and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

This week in Mogadishu, she had been delivering first aid training for local responders, the IRCR said. She also cared for Somalis at hospitals, health clinics and places of detention, the ICRC said.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rse-from-icrc-in-somali-capital-idUSKBN1I32X7
rbbm.
https://www.hiiraan.com/news4/2018/..._played_crucial_role_in_nurse_kidnapping.aspx
attachment.php

Sonja Nientiet

Attachments

• 201853636609308062890488facebook_sonja.jpg
    201853636609308062890488facebook_sonja.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 129
This Somali news site's story is the most recent news I can find about Sonja. Does anybody know if it's true that she was rescued? Has anyone seen anything recent from a German news source?
252News.com – Daily Somalia News

Home News in English Icrc Staff, German Citizen Abducted In Somalia Rescued Last Night
Icrc Staff, German Citizen Abducted In Somalia Rescued Last Night
November 21, 2018

Facebook

Twitter

Google+

Pinterest

Reports from Galgudug Region in Galmudug State of Somalia claimed that Somalia’s Special Forces rescued Sonja Nientiet an ICRC Staff and German Nurse.

Somali Colleagues abducted her in ICRC’s Center in Mogadishu on May 2018, and Hijackers held in secret place in Galguduud Region.

Sources in Special Forces confirmed to Mustaqbal Radio, that they had now held Sonja Nientiet and will be delivered in Mogadishu next hours.

A German nurse, Sonja Nientiet, from the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Muqdisho was abducted on Wednesday night in what local security officials believe to be an inside job involving at least one of the personnel guarding the ICRC compound.

252News

According to this twitter, the nurse was rescued, will continue to look for further confirmation.
Live From Mogadishu on Twitter
ETA
Nov 21 2018
Icrc Staff, German Citizen Abducted In Somalia Rescued Last Night
"Reports from Galgudug Region in Galmudug State of Somalia claimed that Somalia’s Special Forces rescued Sonja Nientiet an ICRC Staff and German Nurse.

Somali Colleagues abducted her in ICRC’s Center in Mogadishu on May 2018, and Hijackers held in secret place in Galguduud Region.

Sources in Special Forces confirmed to Mustaqbal Radio, that they had now held Sonja Nientiet and will be delivered in Mogadishu next hours."

I want to believe the rescue is true, but I am suspicious that the only news sources reporting the rescue are Somali. Sonja is German and employed by an international organization, so I would think it would have been reported elsewhere, unless there was a reason for a publication ban.

I want to believe the rescue is true, but I am suspicious that the only news sources reporting the rescue are Somali. Sonja is German and employed by an international organization, so I would think it would have been reported elsewhere, unless there was a reason for a publication ban.
This is from August 2018.. rbbm. Hoping that there really has been a rescue made since then.
Seven aid workers killed, six in captivity in Somalia since January- UN
"A total of 18 humanitarian workers have been kidnapped since the beginning of the year, the UN official said in addition to 74 violent incidents affecting humanitarian personnel, health facilities and assets.

Among those who remain under custody of their captors is a German nurse, Sonja Nientiet working with the International Committee of the Red Cross. Nientiet was abducted from the ICRC offices in Mogadishu in May. The government said it has made arrests but there is no public report yet about her fate."

So what is Sonja's fate? It's been eleven months since her abduction. I still haven't been able to find any news about her since the November 21st Somali articles we listed above. I tend to think if she had truly been rescued it would have been reported in other news sources. I hope she is still alive and can be rescued / escape soon. MOO.

Live From Mogadishu on Twitter

#UPDATE: Somali Special Forces rescued a #German nurse, Sonja Nientiet, who was abducted by gunmen from ICRC's compound in Somali capital #Mogadishu on May 2nd, 2018. The rescue operation carried out in #Galmudug - Media reports #Somalia

That Tweet is also from a Somali "journalist" and posted on November 22nd. I do not believe Sonja was rescued. I think it is "fake news." MOO.

Below is a link to a blog written by the head of the ICRC Somalia Delegation on March 27, 2019.

4. Do you know what has happened to Sonja?
Sonja was working as a nurse for some of Somalia’s most vulnerable people when she was abducted from our guesthouse 10 months ago. We are doing everything we can to get her home safely and call once again for her immediate and unconditional release.
https://blogs.icrc.org/somalia/2019/03/27/somalia-the-icrc-is-still-committed-to-somalia/

I wish he would have / could have elaborated on the "everything" they are doing "to get her home safely." JMO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loislooking
Back