Sources: Huckaby Claims Cantu Death 'An Accident'

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The "accident" is coming from her lawyer. They are the "source".

They are going to blame it on a psych break or blame it on her meds:

From a new article.
She said she does not believe her granddaughter could have committed the crime, unless "some freakish thing happened."
She said her granddaughter had been taking some psychotropic medication.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...NEWS/904150329

Very interesting theory, but I think accident will either be explained or confirm by the cause of death. Even if she did the foreign object thing after her death to make it look like a rape - she still did it and it is still abuse.

Not to mention that she may have priors. SuzyQ posted a link to Channel 3 that talked about confirmation of some of the stories we have been hearing. Unfortunately, it was to the live newscast and I have not found an article posted yet. I'm sure we will be hearing a lot more about any priors today though if Channel 3 is putting it out live on the news.

Because of the priors it would be very difficult to believe that MH was just doing a coverup and would probably be a very weak defense, in my opinion.

Salem

PS - SS - somewhere last night I did a respond post to one of your posts regarding this "accident" talk from MH. I was speculating that her family leaked that it was an accident, but I know see that Channel 3 is saying this info WAS leaked by investigators close to the case. Sorry for any confusion.

Salem

From a new article.
She said she does not believe her granddaughter could have committed the crime, unless "some freakish thing happened."

I believe it would be hard to claim an Insanity defense. She clearly knew what she did was wrong. Otherwise, why the coverup? Why not just call 911? I believe they are going to try to use an Insanity defense. IMO they will do anything to try and save her life.

Very interesting theory, but I think accident will either be explained or confirm by the cause of death. Even if she did the foreign object thing after her death to make it look like a rape - she still did it and it is still abuse.

I believe that's called abuse of a corpse..

I believe that's called abuse of a corpse..

That's an excellent point nanny1. I think that the charges would reflect abuse of a corpse if that is what had happened. I'm thinking now that the autopsy proved that it wasn't the case.

http://www.ksbw.com/news/19181500/detail.html

Yeah...Sandra must have accidently fell on the object! NOT! This is the typical behavior that Ms Brown the profiler predicted... that if she were a sociopath she would start explaining things away to try to get herself out of it. Guess that psychiatric diagnosis has started to rear it's ugly little head!

Hi Nurse, I appreciate your previous post. I believe your point was that the profiler was right on about what MH is saying about an accident. You're not mad that she is talking. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, you're like the rest of us, you're mad that MH did what she did to poor Sandra. :furious::furious::furious: Thanks for the post. Nonni

I did not take offense at the statement Nurse made. Maybe that is because I also work in healthcare, and after dealing with death, day in and day out, you reach a point in time, when you begin to realize that to relieve stress, you develop a sense of humor that outsiders just don't get. We even have a name for it - morgue humor.

Hi Reannan, I agree with you. I work with teens and families with DFCS in Ga. as a Mental Health Counselor, and one of the first things I was taught in school was that, whatever horrible things we will see in our work, we have to find some way of keeping out sense of humor, to guard against burnout. And personally, whenever something happens in life, it is important to keep that sense of humor. JMO Nonni

I think the "accident' came up during the 6 hour interrogation and it is why they arrested her. It is as close to a confession to Sandra's rape and murder as they are going to get from her, imo. Of course, this was no accident and LE knows it. They can prove premeditation and the rest of the charges.

I would like to know why the SWs again today on both the church and house tho. (I don't really think they had to do with the ficticious note she supposedly wrote either.)

I agree with you SS. Just because MH said it was an accident, I haven't heard that she signed a confession. Maybe I missed it.. Nonni

Thanks, DairyGirl (and welcome! I'm pretty new, too).

The article confuses me... they mention the accident issue in the first sentence but then sort of ignore it by reiterating MH's lies and inconsistencies, as well as the other facts of the case and the penalties facing her.

I wonder why the reporter would start out with something fairly significant (like MH saying it was an accident) without elaborating on it on some level.

Am I the only one confused by this? Obviously, if it was an accident, then there can't be a claim that the suitcase was stolen... even though they're specifying that this was something she said "earlier".

I don't understand.

But good find! I'm not criticizing you, I'm just confused by the reporter...

: )

To answer your question: possibly because the reporter had to make a story out of just this new little (but significant) snippet of information and didn't have anything else to tell regarding the alleged accident? It may be a good thing that the reporter follows this current lie with all the facts ! The truth will obliterate the new lies.

O/T but this gal's a talker huh? Yacka Yacka

I'm pleased to hear that she at least did admit that she was involved in Sandra's kidnapping, murder, and rape with a foreign object.

I'm not pleased to hear her minimize what she did to Sandra by calling it an accident.

JMHO

It seems she loves attention. This may be a drama to her. She'll porbably change that thought as this DP idea starts to sink in.:behindbar:behindbar:behindbar Nonni

I believe it would be hard to claim an Insanity defense. She clearly knew what she did was wrong. Otherwise, why the coverup? Why not just call 911? I believe they are going to try to use an Insanity defense. IMO they will do anything to try and save her life.

I don't think they will be able to use insanity. Perhaps temp insanity?

I do think they will bring her diagnosis (whatever it is) and the fact that she was on meds (or off meds) into the mitigating circumstances when it comes time to sentencing.

Oh Boy it was a accident??? Yea rightthen like someone else said why the note instead of calling 911. The one thing I did catch when reading this article is that now the TPD are now asking if any one has a reason to belive Huckaby might have harmed their kid to come an talked the the TPD. This goes to the story going around Tracy that she has at least drugged 2 other Girls while living there only 8 months.

The Tip of the Iceberg has finally broke IMHO>

And what could her own daughter's life have been like???Makes me sick !!!!!!!! :puke::puke: Nonni

The autopsy report is still withheld from the public, so none of us knows the cause of death. But considering the reports of Huckaby's previous drugging of victims, it's not beyond the pale to speculate that Cantu's death resulted from the drugging and not an overt act like stabbing or asphyxiation, etc.

In that sense the death may be considered by Huckaby to be non-intentional, she never meant for the child to die, though of course by intentionally drugging the child to commit crimes upon her, and causing her death she would be guilty of murder anyway.

It's even possible (though rather unlikely) she did not abduct Sandra Cantu to molest or rape her, but did so in order to create the impression that the child had been murdered by a pedophile and not herself.

This claim of accident is not a "confession" or assertion made by Huckaby or her lawyer today or yesterday. It is, according to the press report, what police sources have told the press that Huckaby admitted, and I presume she did so in the course of the interrogation that preceded her arrest.

From a new article.

Unless I am reading this wrong, MH's mother was not at the hearing. I haven't really heard anything about her. Anyone know anything about her? Maybe I have missed something?

I can see a defense tactic here: ie., Huckaby claiming Cantu's death was an accident, she panicked and tried to make it look like a pedaphile took Cantu, sexually molested her, stole the suitcase from the driveway, and disposed of her body. She has already admitted to writing the note that implicated exactly where Sandra's body was located. I really believe that her lawyers will use this theory as a defense: accidental death and then an elaborate coverup by trying to show a pedaphile did it.

I can see a defense tactic here: ie., Huckaby claiming Cantu's death was an accident, she panicked and tried to make it look like a pedaphile took Cantu, sexually molested her, stole the suitcase from the driveway, and disposed of her body. She has already admitted to writing the note that implicated exactly where Sandra's body was located. I really believe that her lawyers will use this theory as a defense: accidental death and then an elaborate coverup by trying to show a pedaphile did it.

Hmmm...i could see the defense using your scenario. And, I could see how it might cause just one juror to pause and offer 2nd or 3rd degree murder instead of 1st. Lord, I hope that LE and the prosecution have sufficient evidence of pre-meditation to refute the theory.

OT - Early in the investigation, I often thought that would be KC's best defense strategy, minus the sexual abuse part.

The autopsy report is still withheld from the public, so none of us knows the cause of death. But considering the reports of Huckaby's previous drugging of victims, it's not beyond the pale to speculate that Cantu's death resulted from the drugging and not an overt act like stabbing or asphyxiation, etc.

In that sense the death may be considered by Huckaby to be non-intentional, she never meant for the child to die, though of course by intentionally drugging the child to commit crimes upon her, and causing her death she would be guilty of murder anyway.

It's even possible (though rather unlikely) she did not abduct Sandra Cantu to molest or rape her, but did so in order to create the impression that the child had been murdered by a pedophile and not herself.

This claim of accident is not a "confession" or assertion made by Huckaby or her lawyer today or yesterday. It is, according to the press report, what police sources have told the press that Huckaby admitted, and I presume she did so in the course of the interrogation that preceded her arrest.

I think you might be on to something here. One question though, if she did not molest Sandra or intend to kill her, what would be her motive in drugging her?

I think you might be on to something here. One question though, if she did not molest Sandra or intend to kill her, what would be her motive in drugging her?

Most likely she drugged Sandra Cantu, and possible other children, in order to molest them without getting caught or being told on.

There might be some out-there, wacko reason that makes little sense, or base profit motives (which I suppose would still include molestation, only distinguised by the reason for the molestation as profit instead of sexual gratification), a kidnapping for profit scheme.... I don't mean to suggest that any such thing is likely.

I just have to agree with others who are able to pull apart the kidnapping and molestation from the murder.

MH may have been drugging and abusing children; or she may have dreamed about it, then executed her plan to drug and abuse SC.

As heinous as these crimes are, they do NOT mean she planned on disposing of/murdering SC... as so many male offenders do. This fact [male v. female sex offenders and the big difference in the outcome of child murder] is what is cited in the statistics on the other threads...

I'm not excusing what she did, but MH saying it was an accident is not necessarily a tactic, IMO.

Also, given the scenario that SC accidentally died and then MH tried to make it look like molestation after the fact... why kidnap and drug/drug and kidnap SC in the first place?

-Kitkat

She had a plan which she executed. She took Sandra against her will and held her. She raped her. She murdered her. She disposed of her. She covered up the crime. She lied about all of it. It was in no way accidental.

The suitcase, the ploy to get Sandra away from other people, using the remote location (the church) to avoid detection of the crimes being committed at the time, possible drugging, and other things she did all point to premeditation and careful planning on Melissa's part, imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lizakind
Back