Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leigh-Anne Jansen ‏@LA_JANSEN 2m2 minutes ago
Anni was seeing Shrien. She thought she'd get to know him better if she moved to the UK. They had one break up in December 2009.

The break up was after Shrien's second visit to Sweden.

VZ: We're now moving into hearsay evidence. I've been patient.

Aislinn Laing ‏@Simmoa 2m2 minutes ago
Van Zyl says he'll accept it but adds to the judge: "Let me warn you not to take it as gospel."

Riley: The state intends to call this witness, regarding potential motive. Riley cites case law in her argument.

EWN Reporter ‏@ewnreporter 2m2 minutes ago
Van Zyl objecting that Sneha's evidence could be regarded as hearsay. Riley trying to convince the Judge otherwise.

Judge to Riley: nothing you have told me convinces why I should permit hearsay evidence. :trainwreck:

Judge Traverso: Explain to me why I should allow the hearsay evidence & disallow yourself from the plea explanation. Traverso disallows hearsay evidence. Riley continues. They got back together after Anni & my trip to Singapore, after Shrien's 30th birthday. Anni called him to say happy birthday and the relationship started off again.
The engagement took place in May 2010. Anni & I, together with her parents & brother, went to visit Bristol. The visit, according to us, was to introduce the parents. Kripa (Shrien's sister-in-law)came down the stairs with a tray. Anni and I didn't know what this was about. It came as a total shock to me and my family

News24 ‏@News24 2m2 minutes ago
Sneha Mashru says family not aware of engagement, "total shock to me". Judge asks how family knew, guarding against hearsay evidence.

Leigh-Anne Jansen ‏@LA_JANSEN 3m3 minutes ago
The gesture was accepted. In our culture, when one gets engaged, the bride's father will send a letter to SD's father. This is to announce the engagement to the Indian community. The announcement was made on 27 May. Shrien was at the same hotel as we were but we didn't see him.

Traverso asks Sneha to clarify what an Indian wedding is about, how long it lasts etc

EWN Reporter ‏@ewnreporter 3m3 minutes ago
Judge: the wedding stretched over three days? Sneha: yes, sometimes a week.

RAHIMA ESSOP ‏@rahimaessop 3m3 minutes ago
Sneha explains, first there's a ceremony like an engagement party, then a henna party, then prayers separately.

1. Engagement party. 2. Henna Party. 3. Morning prayers. 4. Indian wedding-walk around fire. 5. Reception.

EWN Reporter ‏@ewnreporter 4m4 minutes ago
Riley: Did you see the accused while you and Anni spent time together? Sneha: twice maybe.

Leigh-Anne Jansen ‏@LA_JANSEN 4m4 minutes ago
I saw Shrien approximately two times during this period. I left for the UK on November 2. The accused and Anni left the next day. Prior to the wedding, he fell ill and was hospitalised. I went Anni to visit him. He told Anni he didn't want visitors. We thought it would be nice to visit as a surprise.

Shrien told her "what are you doing here. I said I don't want visitors." Anni said"what are they(Dewanis)doing here?" I went to the cab and waited 5 or 10 mins. Anni returned. She was crying in the cab. This was approximately five days before the wedding.

( Notes being passed to and from Shrien Dewani)

I had contact with Anni while she was in Bristol & met up with them on 7 November. The meeting was to introduce my boyfriend (husband now) to Anni.

Shrien was on his Blackberry non-stop. My husband even commented on it. I could tell that they had argued. That was the evening before they left for SA. That was the last time I saw Anni. Had contact with her when she arrived in SA via text messages.

Contact on 10 and 11th November. I think the first message was the 9th. Riley to refer to excerpts of text messages.

RAHIMA ESSOP ‏@rahimaessop 2m2 minutes ago
Riley hands in the text messages to the court.

First text message to Sneha: "what should I do... he is a good guy, but don't feel happy..." It reads "What should I do. I am really trying...."

Riley asks Sneha to explain what she meant in her response to Anni's message.

Sneha replied."If you don't fight & everything goes ok, wait til you get home." She was thinking of getting a divorce.
Van Zyl objects, citing hearsay.

EWN Reporter ‏@ewnreporter 3m3 minutes ago
Defence objects, says its hearsay. Judge agrees. Tells Prosecution to steer clear of hearsay.

My intention was if she felt that she couldn't be with him, when she comes back, we could think of options to leave.

next msg 11Nov Anni: "Hi, it's much better now. Met a lovely couple." Sneha indicates that she loves Anni & happy things are going well. I thought that things were getting better.

Next message. Anni: Going better than before. Hate the word divorce. That was the last time the pair had contact.

Oh boy, nothing came out of that. Where were the messages that SD and Anni didn't consummate the marriage? Hmmmm.

News24 ‏@News24 2m2 minutes ago
Mashru got call to say Shrien & Anni robbed but they were fine, gave Anni's number. Later got call to say she has been murdered.

IMO, not good so far, doesn't look like there is a case unless something really damning comes forward.

First heard Anni was killed on early morning of 14 November. I got a call from Preyen. He asked for Ami's number. Sneha: He said Anni said to him "don't be so boring" and so they went. Sneha: He said that Anni wanted to see the townships and that he was tired and wanted to go home. He said that 2 ppl came out of nowhere and banged on the window. Anni was screaming "let us go, we are on honeymoon".

Sneha:He said he told Anni to be quiet. She took off her rings and have one to him. He thought it was the wedding ring.
Sneha: He said he told the robbers "take this" and they said it wasn't worth anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member