Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
EWN Reporter ‏@ewnreporter 4m4 minutes ago

VZ: in summary the accused will say, your evidence that he conspired with you to have his wife killed is simply not the truth.

Tongo responds: those are lies...doubled.

VZ now turning to the issue of parole.

Tongo: my parole doesn't depend on police. Will be released when its my time.

VZ: are you serious when you say you never had any contact with Qwabe after the events of that Saturday?

Tongo: what I say is what I remember. I did contact Monde after the incident.

vanessa poonah ‏@vanessapoonah01#SABCNews 4m4 minutes ago

Van Zyl says that's the end of his cross exam. He needs time to consult with his client.

14:54

ZT's cross-examination is over. He must be so relieved. Seven days on the witness stand is undeniably taxing.

Court adjourns for 15 minutes to allow Van Zyl to confer with Dewani.

14:52

VZ: In summary, the accused will say that your evidence that he conspired with you to have his wife killed is simply not the truth. What do you say to that?

ZT: Those are lies!

ZT: When it is my time to be released from prison, I will be released from prison. No one can stand in the way of that.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/LIVE-Dewani-in-court-day-15-20141105

that was intense -- need a drink and a cig after that

EWN Reporter ‏@ewnreporter 1m1 minute ago

Van Zyl returns with two more questions. Where is this place that you take clients for chopper trips?

Tongo: at waterfront.

Van Zyl: this car wash where you take your car to in Khayelitsha?

Tongo: I can't remember the street name.

SD took a lot of money with him, R10000 and R4000 in Anni's bag. Plus the expensive watches and jewellery they were wearing. I still find it strange that he was that confident in a taxi driver (unlicensed) whom he met casually at the airport, let alone arrange a helicopter ride via him. Why would he be willing to pay for the helicopter up front to the taxi driver? The other odd thing is Tongo denying that he took them to the Surfside restaurant.
I think some of the nuances with all this evidence is being lost with the interpreter, and again with cryptic tweets from the court making it sound even stranger.

Leila Samodien ‏@Leila_Luck 1m1 minute ago

Van Zyl is done with cross-exam of Tongo. Now for the State's re-examination.

SD took a lot of money with him, R10000 and R4000 in Anni's bag. Plus the expensive watches and jewellery they were wearing. I still find it strange that he was that confident in a taxi driver (unlicensed) whom he met casually at the airport, let alone arrange a helicopter ride via him. Why would he be willing to pay for the helicopter up front to the taxi driver? The other odd thing is Tongo denying that he took them to the Surfside restaurant.
I think some of the nuances with all this evidence is being lost with the interpreter, and again with cryptic tweets from the court making it sound even stranger.

I agree, Dewani is not some hapless teenager even if he's trying to appear that way. I wish we at least had audio.

Last Updated at 06:16

15:15

ZT is still on the stand. The prosecution is now re-examining.

15:19

State's Shareen Riley (SR): Do you recognise any of the numbers on page 1? ZT: I recognise the one, written Spra.

SR: Did you get your cellphone back after the incident?

ZT? No.

SR: Regarding the payment. Yesterday you were asked about payment to SW and Mzoli's. Did you expect, in addition to the R5 000, further payment from the accused?

ZT: Yes.

The state has no further questions.

Traverso: Mr Tongo, you will be pleased to know that you are finished and free to go.
15:19

Eyewitness News ‏@ewnupdates 2m2 minutes ago Cape Town

State calls next witness Captain Vinesh Lutchman.

vanessa poonah ‏@vanessapoonah01#SABCNews 2m2 minutes ago

State prosecutor, Adrian Mopp leading evidence.

vanessa poonah ‏@vanessapoonah01#SABCNews 1m1 minute ago

Lutchman: Met Zola Tongo at Gugulethu police station on 13 Nov 2010. Interviewed him after his statement was taken.

Leila Samodien ‏@Leila_Luck 3m3 minutes ago

State now has a new witness on the stand, a police officer, Captain Lutchman.

15:20
State calls Captain Vinesh Lutchman. He joined the police in 1983.
15:23
Lutchman started his career in Kwazulu-Natal, before being transferred to the Western Cape in 2002. Currently in service at Gugulethu Police Station, as group commander, in charge of a group of detectives.

He was called out to an unrelated shooting incident on 13 November 2010. Informed of a hijacking later that evening.

That evening, he met Zola Tongo at the crime office. He presented himself as a complainant.

15:25

Tongo's statement was taken prior to Lutchman's arrival at the the crime office. Statement was taken by uniformed police.

Lutchman (henceforth VL) recounts Tongo's version, that two men approached the vehicle, one at the window, another at the bonnet.

15:26

There were two Indian foreigners, didn't know their names, only that they stayed at the Cape Grace hotel.

Lutchman says Tongo told him he was hijacked by two men...

Lutchman: Later took Tongo to Cape Grace hotel, with W/O Stefanus.

Lutchman: did have interaction with Mr Dewani after arrival at hotel. Col Els, W/O Stefanus present.

Lutchman: Dewani said his wife insisted she wanted to see township nightlife.

Leila Samodien ‏@Leila_Luck 2m2 minutes ago

Lutchman testifies he was on duty on night of incident, Nov 13 2010. He arrived at the hotel after midnight. Met Dewani.

15:29

The police officer is so soft-spoken there have been three requests already for him to speak up.

15:29

VL says they met Dewani in a small boardroom. He was directed there by hotel staff.

15:27

VL informed Colonel Els, his superior. VL gave instructions to take Tongo to the hotel. That's where they'll meet to start their investigation.

15:32

VL and two other officers met with Dewani in the hotel boardroom. One of the others, Els, conducted the interview.

Dewani (SD) said he was on his way from supper with wife & driver, from Somerset West. He and his wife were viewing photos and on the way she insisted that she wanted to see the nightlife in the township. SD said he wasn't feeling well, but his wife insisted. He alerted the driver. He saw a green board pointing to Gugulethu.

15:36

VL relates what SD told officers: One hijacker got in at the front, the other was pointing the firearm to the back. One took his cellphone (the one pointing the gun). He managed to hide his wife's ring in the seat. He was dropped somewhere in the front seat.

He continues: The robbery continued after Tongo was let out. Somewhere further in the township, he (SD) was let out.

VL says SD was in a shocked state.

VL: We were there for an hour or two, for quite some time. Mr Dewani was in and out of the boardroom.

15:38

VL: There was no mention of any money in his possession. No mention of a helicopter. Not to me, at least. No mention of money for a helicopter trip either.

Roy McKenzie ‏@RoyMcK@News24 2m2 minutes ago

I'm sure Zola Tongo is hugely relieved to be off the witness stand after 7 days. Hope they give him KFC or some treat.

Lutchman: He (Dewani) was in a shocked state.

Lutchman: was not part of process of taking statement.

Mopp: Dewani says he had money in his wife's handbag for purpose of booking helicopter trip. Was this mentioned?

Lutchman: There was no mention of money or helicopter trip.

Lutchman: My instruction was to arrange help to find the vehicle with missing person. Dog unit, flying squad, etc.

Lutchman: also arranged for police helicopter to fly as soon as daylight. Also police officers to compile identikits ..also trauma counselling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaniMiranda82