State files motion to proceed with check fraudUPDATE CASE TO BE SCHEDULED

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
woo hoo. looks like the trial date will be set soon.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...bk-casey-anthony-court-090309,0,5656942.story (thanks to the posts in todays current news!)

(snipped)
In support of its motion, the state offered an affidavit from Amy Huizenga, Casey Anthony's friend and victim in the check fraud case. Strickland wrote in his order that he found Huizenga's affidavit "compelling."

"The affidavit states that the duration of this legal process over the last year has caused her a great deal of mental stress," Strickland wrote.

"After considering all of the factors and argument of counsel, this Court feels that the best resolution is to set the matter for trial in the near future," Strickland wrote. "In terms of legal skill and analysis, this case is rather simple."

I can see it now: the A's are going to blame everything on Amy about it being tried now and giving KC a felony charge before the murder trial.

Also,"In terms of legal skill and analysis, this case is rather simple."
uh, we're talking about Baez here!

IF their daughter didn't get charged with murder, then she wouldn't be worried about this case going before the murder trial.

However, if KC wants, she can ask for the murder trial to be speed up..:p

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...bk-casey-anthony-court-090309,0,5656942.story

Orange County Circuit Judge Stan Strickland ruled Wednesday that Casey Anthony's check-fraud case will be set for trial in the near future.

State prosecutors had requested that a trial date be set for that case as soon as possible. But Casey Anthony's defense argued that preparing for the check-fraud case would hamper her legal team's ability to prepare for her murder trial.

GOOD FOR AMY!!!

That's a good question! I wonder, if she did plea, could she get a non-felony conviction?
Good question...I don't think it would let her escape a felony conviction. The sentence might be lighter if she takes a plea, but no I think the felony will stand. If I am mistaken on this please feel free to correct.

Check trial coming soon...the best news I've heard all day !

Yes, Yes and YES ! This is wonderful news for Amy and justice. I feel so overjoyed that Amy will hopefully be able to move on with her life and get some from of closure. The victims in this case have suffered long enough, let the one who caused all this suffering face the music !

Good move by Judge S. and good for Amy....
She deserves for justice to be served promptly. Just because Baez is too incompetent to focus on more than one case, which is pretty much open and shut, or too arrogant to ask for a plea deal, doesn't mean that Amy should have to wait around another year or two for justice to be served.

I know she was reimbursed for most of what was taken, but $1000 is a lot of money for anyone.. especially in this economy. I'm sure the victims of KC want to just move on with their lives... and this will be the first step for Amy.

Could this mean that Casey would have to sit in prison and not in jail?

I posted in the check fraud thread...didn't think the Mods would want another thread but I'll repost my sentiments here.

I'm thrilled that AH will finally be face to face with KC and i hope all of KC's former friends attend the trial.
I'm also wondering if it's possible for KC to change her plea and avoid the trial all togeter.

Is the state pressing for this check fraud trial for the purpose of getting it on record that KC is criminal minded? This is a low level crime. A regular person (who is not a murder suspect) would get probation for this at worst. There is no time that would be served. I'm guessing the SA's office wants to use this in the murder trial to show that she is not a first time offender although history shows that people who commit financial crimes are not of the same makeup as a murderer. It's a huge leap to go from stealing grandma's money to pay for your phone bill, stealing from your parents and your friends to killing your daughter. I'm not quite understanding why the state is so aggressive in pursuing this. I hope it doesn't backfire.

That's a good question! I wonder, if she did plea, could she get a non-felony conviction?

I don't think she could get a non-felony conviction but I do think she could avoid an appearance before Judge S., Amy and the public. I don't think JB wants to let her out of her cage any more than absolutely necessary. I also don't think she wants to face her former friend(s). Pleading guilty would certainly allow her to avoid the humility and it's pretty much a done deal anyway, Judge S all but said so in the news article. I can't see any way for the videos to be refuted and JB to convince a jury that KC is innocent.
I'm thinking there will be no trial on the check fraud charges. JMO

I'm so happy for Amy to finally have her day in court!! I, too, hope to see all of Casey's "friends" (victims) sitting in the court room.

Is the state pressing for this check fraud trial for the purpose of getting it on record that KC is criminal minded? This is a low level crime. A regular person (who is not a murder suspect) would get probation for this at worst. There is no time that would be served. I'm guessing the SA's office wants to use this in the murder trial to show that she is not a first time offender although history shows that people who commit financial crimes are not of the same makeup as a murderer. It's a huge leap to go from stealing grandma's money to pay for your phone bill, stealing from your parents and your friends to killing your daughter. I'm not quite understanding why the state is so aggressive in pursuing this. I hope it doesn't backfire.

Its bound to happen sometime, no time like the present!! Amy has waited long enough to get her justice, poor girl still has the murder trial to deal with , bet she regrets the day she ever met Casey Anthony

If I were KC, I'd humble out, take a plea, and put the fraud case behind me! Man, she is so full of herself to keep playing these games! PICK YOUR BATTLES, KC!

(Secretly, I am glad she doesn't take my advice...)

Now that's a good question...I don't think they would send her to prison given her murder trial is coming up (some day), but am not 100% sure on that. I know that when some inmates are sent to prison and then have another trial come up, charges originated from their pre prison time, they are usually sent back to county for trial...but, a murder case I don't know.

I second your :woohoo: and add a :p to JB/KC (so very mature of me isn't it?)

Not only will AH finally, hopfully receive some justice but also all those KC ripped off who didn't bring the law into it:

CAYLEE (stole her piggy bank and bank savings acct money!)
JG
SP
LA
RG
RP
and last but not least the A rents.

I'm sure there are more so we'll call them the "unknown victims". moo

Hooray! I'm stoked, I'm so happy for Amy, she needs to get this behind her and move on, it has been way to long already.

Now wouldn't that just be a wonderful thought!!!

After all, they transport people serving prison sentences to court hearings all the time! Keep them in holding cells or maybe in her case she'd get to visit her old "room" on a weekly basis then on weekends back to the Big House!!

A dose of prison might make her re-think going through a trial.........I mean she can't possibly still be in some fantacy world JB helped create where she thinks she's gonna just walk from Caylee's murder, could she? Hopefully AL has erased that right outta her mind & has helped reality to finally set in!

If she does go through trial I'd hope for the Dp as final result BUT I'm not opposed to the idea of a plea deal for LWOP. Caylee gets justice, she still loses the freedom from which she committed the crime to fascillitate such, the FL tax-payers can close this circus down and finally get relief along with the healing of the community the A's have all been playing for over a year!

that's IF the state would even entertain a deal at this point.........?

I'm so happy for Amy to finally have her day in court!! I, too, hope to see all of Casey's "friends" (victims) sitting in the court room.

Yes!

Right behind the prosecutor's!!! All of them! (most specially when Caylee's case comes up Finally!!!)

And she'd have to "contain" her pouting & anger that no one's there to support & comfort HER!

Accept of course her beloved parents.

Yes, Yes and YES ! This is wonderful news for Amy and justice. I feel so overjoyed that Amy will hopefully be able to move on with her life and get some from of closure. The victims in this case have suffered long enough, let the one who caused all this suffering face the music !

Now she needs a lawyer to step up pro bono and help her sue in civil court George, Cindy and Casey for publicly and to detectives blaming her for this murder, she can ask for a judgment and just like Ron Goldman's family did, she can (and Jesse too I pray) be awarded ANY and ALL profits they make off any media deals. The lawyer can do what Gloria Alred did with Amber Frye, represent her for free in exchange for part of the media deals, it happens all the time and is perfectly legal. The way Nejame stepped up for Texas Equisearch, I hope a local lawyer, Maybe even Morgan, will step up and help Jesse and Amy.
Money wont take away the emotional damage that has been done to these young lives, but money for college, to relocate , to start new, would not hurt. If I served on their civil jury, I would award obscene amounts to the pair of them!

Double Yay! For the denial of this requests and for JWG getting documents tomorrow!

: )

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jstuff