State v Bradley Cooper 4/14/11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So BC who was supposedly slick enough to wipe out any trace of making a spoofed alibi call doesn't clean up his web browsing?

Someone who we have already have established is a VoIP CCIE which means he has well above average knowledge of operating systems and filesystems both Windows and Linux?

I am sorry. This was the first time I saw your post. I was referring to ncsu comment about the cookies for fielding were not present on the computer.

Not a problem and I wasn't really directing it to anybody but I didn't understand what the cookies, or lack of them meant in the big picture.

That doesn't make sense, only the image should be different because time has evolved and houses and businesses have been built, but it should be comparable.

I think I am following what you are saying here Danielle but could you elaborate? Thanks!

Kelly

That doesn't make sense, only the image should be different because time has evolved and houses and businesses have been built, but it should be comparable.

wral: Det. Chappell: The zip code Brad searched now incorporates more land & population. Center of the zip code is not the same now. #coopertrial

So what they are saying if the tweets are correct is that BC cleared a single cookie but did not clear history nor clear cache nor manually delete the Temporary Internet Files. This makes not much sense.

There are probably a number of ways that a computer can end up in a state where certain temporary internet files are present and certain cookies are absent. The defense is picking tampering as their theory. There is no need for the prosecution to pick a specific theory on how the computer got into this state, their theory is that this is how BC left his computer.

From one of the tweets, the agent indicated that the zip code has actually changed (in terms of size) from two years ago and if I understand correctly, google maps puts the pointer in what it defines as the 'center' of whatever search you do. So, since the size of the zip code changed, the 'center' is not the same as it was 2 years ago.

So BC who was supposedly slick enough to wipe out any trace of making a spoofed alibi call doesn't clean up his web browsing?

Someone who we have already have established is a VoIP CCIE which means he has well above average knowledge of operating systems and filesystems both Windows and Linux?

Perhaps he simply hadn't gotten around to it yet? Maybe he hadn't planned the murder would take place as soon as it did. Something that happened that night accelerated his plans. But for JA's quick response, 'missing Nancy', he would have had the time to clean this up too. Swing by on his way to the museum with the kids.

Well catching up on what I missed yesterday and I a firmly off the fence and on the guilty side. It makes me sad to think that someone could murder anyone, let alone the mother of their children.

VoIP CCIE does not imply any knowledge of OS and filesystems.

This was his answer:

Det. Chappell: That's consistent with what I found on his computer. The fact remains, it was at a high level of magnification. #coopertrial

So he didn't give him a yes or no answer, just a safe 'that's what it looks like' answer.

Basically though, isn't this evidence 'prints on the gun'? There is no reasonable explanation why he would have a high level of magnification of the dump site a day before she went missing. Even if you play devils advocate and think this was done purposely by CPD, what kind of expertise and coordination do you thing that would take? And what would be the motive behind it? Because they didn't like BC? Because they want to preserve Cary as a place where no murder can take place?

It's just really a stretch that you would have some cops buy into framing this guy by putting high magnification images of Fielding on his work computer. Why wouldn't they had done that on his home computer and change the date to the morning of July 12th, where it would make a ton more sense?

Day of the 11th shows pre-meditation.

<----- snipped for space - the ending immaculate ------>

Brad, the strong are Nancy’s family who now carry with love the remainder of the family you ultimately destroyed. Even in death Nancy has the means to protect and provide for her children - you just couldn't understand and thankfully couldn't destroy the bridge of love between her family and her and the children. Thank God that family, each of them, has the perseverance and willpower and love that you lacked completely.

Holy Schmoly! This melted me so. Powerful words, immense passion. Huge! Stunning post ...

Has my vote as The Most Outstanding Post of The Case!

Thank you, gritguy!

wral WRAL NEWS in NC
Det. Chappell: I found 92 hits on Google on Brad's computer. No cookie for Fielding Drive view on Google though. #coopertrial

He testified yesterday the search was on BC's own zipcode of 27518 so why would there be a cookie for Fielding Drive? Chappell is trying to imply that there should be one, but that is not true.

Would cookies be present if private browsing was enabled?

NOPE - as far as I know. Private browsing aka "*advertiser censored* mode" claims it does not store any history or files of any kind during the session.

I know the private browsing mode exists on IE as of version 8, not sure when it was in FireFox, but it was earlier than IE had it.

Something about the defense not having full access to the sensitive FBI methods bothers me. Suppose that there is a generic trial somewhere and the main evidence against someone is that their fingerprints were found at the crime scene. To prove it, the prosecution presents an expert witness who testifies that the fingerprints at the crime scene were the defendant's.

But let's say that to match the fingerprints the expert looked at a picture of the defendant's fingerprints and a picture of the fingerprints from the crime scene and basically said "they are both shaped like fingerprints therefore they are a match."

I think everyone would agree that this would be a bogus way of determining a match and normally the defense would tear the expert's testimony to shreds. But what if the prosecution argued that the method used was sensitive and couldn't be disclosed? That would result in bad evidence being used with the defense having no way to challenge it since they wouldn't know what method was used. Of course, they could present their own expert to contradict the prosecution's expert but, at best, that would only put a little bit of doubt in the jury's minds.

In the Cooper case, it's possible that the computer evidence is completely valid. But it's also possible that the FBI's methods could be flawed. Without knowing how the FBI examined the evidence there is no way for anyone, especially the defense, to know how accurate the FBI's testimony is.

Does this make sense or is there a flaw in my analogy?

There are probably a number of ways that a computer can end up in a state where certain temporary internet files are present and certain cookies are absent. The defense is picking tampering as their theory. There is no need for the prosecution to pick a specific theory on how the computer got into this state, their theory is that this is how BC left his computer.

The big thing I'd want to know is if all cookies on the machine are after July 11 (or more importantly, after his last logoff). If Cisco has an enterprise policy to delete cookies on logoff it would explain why there are cookies there but none for a Google Map search of Fielding Dr (i.e. he would have created new cookies during his last login). Though as the tweet reads now that I think about it, why would there be a cookie for "Fielding Dr." ? Wouldn't it be for 27518?

But it looks much more like the work of somebody who doesn't actually know what they are doing, trying to do something that looks fishy. Let's not just put the search here, let's do something to make it look as though he hid the search and remove the cookie. But we have to leave the other information so we can show there was a search.

And how easy is it to remove the cookie for a single google search out of a list of google searches?

Perhaps he simply hadn't gotten around to it yet? Maybe he hadn't planned the murder would take place as soon as it did. Something that happened that night accelerated his plans. But for JA's quick response, 'missing Nancy', he would have had the time to clean this up too. Swing by on his way to the museum with the kids.

That's the same thing I was thinking. The events of that Saturday morning moved along way too quickly for him.

Well catching up on what I missed yesterday and I a firmly off the fence and on the guilty side. It makes me sad to think that someone could murder anyone, let alone the mother of their children.

And yet it is done frequently. In our rather small area of the country, Raleigh/Durham, look how many young, upper middle class mothers have been murdered in the recent past. Nancy, Janet, Michelle, Kelly, I'm sure the list goes on, someone help me here...?

Another search warrant was secured for a deeper investigation into that device. In the grand scheme of things, not that big of a deal, IMO.

ETA: LE investigations are an ever evolving updating upgrading process, learn from mistakes, move on.

I think it is a major deal, there could have been some very important information on her cell phone that we needed to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo