State vs. Jason Lynn Young 03-01-12 (P.M. session: PT closing arguments)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That isn't quite right. In fact, none of the witnesses were allowed to present an opinion during sworn testimony regarding the guilt of innocence of their former buddy.

But they could have said what a great guy he was, but they didn't. And I didn't see people lined up to testify as character witnesses. That is telling.

That isn't quite right. In fact, none of the witnesses were allowed to present an opinion during sworn testimony regarding the guilt of innocence of their former buddy.

Was that a formal decision by the judge? I was wondering about that because of differences between JY's trials and the Cooper trial.

Hi Everybody! What a day, huh? I just want to say THANKS from all the mods for scrolling by any violating posts today without responding or quoting. It is much appreciated!

Salem

I found the ignore feature in settings very helpful.
Thanks for the tip :)

But they could have said what a great guy he was, but they didn't. And I didn't see people lined up to testify as character witnesses. That is telling.

They were all evidence witnesses. Character witnesses come in the sentencing phase if the defendant is found guilty.

Was that a formal decision by the judge? I was wondering about that because of differences between JY's trials and the Cooper trial.

One of his friends was asked by the prosecution if he thought Jason murdered Michelle. The defense objected and the Judge ruled that he was not allowed to answer the question.

I have asked this question several times but no one seems to have an answer at least I have not seen one posted. And to me this is crucial. jmo

I have seen some responses to this question. It always seems to be that they don't have to answer because it is up to the State to prove the Jay guilty, beyond all reasonable doubt. This is not an answer to the question but it is the closest thing to an answer I have seen.

This is really a tough case but at the same time it seems simple to me. The absence of any DNA or fingerprints in the crucial areas points to someone who lived in the home. We all know who that person is.

Unfortunately, what seems simple to me may not be so simple for others who want to see the scientific evidence and none exists. My question would be why does none exist?

One of his friends was asked by the prosecution if he thought Jason murdered Michelle. The defense objected and the Judge ruled that he was not allowed to answer the question.

And the Judge ruled correctly.

Witnesses are not the triers of the facts. That is left up to the jury to decide whether he is guilty or not.

IMO

They were all evidence witnesses. Character witnesses come in the sentencing phase if the defendant is found guilty.

I understand that. My point is that none of his friends said anything positive about him. One said he was a manipulator and the other said he was a horndog. I think that goes towards character.

I do know one thing for sure... I'm not going to get any work done tomorrow if I'm refreshing wral and websleuths every 2 minutes for a verdict.

And somehow, I think it'll come when I'm in a deposition tomorrow afternoon.

Not me. :) I have never used the ignore button. I like to see both sides of any issue.

IMO
I use it sometimes if I really am lacking self control that day - it keeps me from responding and twisting myself into a TO.

I missed the end of the day ... did the Judge give instructions to the jury or will that happen in the morning?

I understand that. My point is that none of his friends said anything positive about him. One said he was a manipulator and the other said he was a horndog. I think that goes towards character.

I would agree. LOL!

But true character witnesses are those who will have nice things to say if he is convicted. That is what a character witness is.

Now he may not have any that stand up for him except his family. Guess we will have to wait and see if and when he is convicted.

I have a question... JY was a very popular man, best all around in his school, many, many friends at work, at NC State, at home in Brevard, etc, I did not hear from any of these people vouching for his character as a loving father/husband/friend.

Why did the DT not have any of these people testify? There has to be one person that likes JY other than his mother/family. Who?

And why did sister Kim not testify? She apparently knew lots of what was going on. She was constantly on the boards in the beginning spouting off about everything she has seen.

What about John Goins, his father figure who helped raise him through his younger years? What about Coates (sp) who hiked the Appalachian trail with him?

All of these people should have been great character witnesses for him. Where were they? Why didn't they take the stand?

And why did sister Kim not testify? She apparently knew lots of what was going on. She was constantly on the boards in the beginning spouting off about everything she has seen.

What about John Goins, his father figure who helped raise him through his younger years? What about Coates (sp) who hiked the Appalachian trail with him?

All of these people should have been great character witnesses for him. Where were they? Why didn't they take the stand?

Kim had too much fodder for cross. I think that's why she was never even in the courtroom, because then the Prosecution likely would have called her to the stand.

And I think they didn't testify on his behalf because they wouldn't. I can't think of another reason not to parade up witnesses (credible witnesses) who say he's a really good guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand