Statement Analysis & Related Info

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I had put this in the rumor thread b/c Ron's interviewing issues were being discused there, but I'm pasting it here.

Anyway, Dr. Paul Ekman is an expert in deception detection among other things and found 50 people who have this really nearly perfect ability to spot liars. They are the sort of Mozarts of lie detection. :) Anyway below is what one had to say about Ron's way of answering questions since the conversation here was going in that direction. In the meantime I will look for the correspnding video clip.

Thoughts on Ronald Cummings on Nancy Grace

"What is so fascinating about this appearance is that Ronald Cummings isn't on the defensive like he usually is. He is fine with everyone tightening the reins on Misty, and ironically, that doesn't seem to bother him at all. His posture is relaxed, and his hands are splayed in front of him in a calm manner.

But what is even more interesting is that you would expect Cummings of all people, here to be the most perplexed, mad and concerned about Misty's inconsistencies, if he is innocent and uninvolved, but he isn't!

Cummings, like everyone else, should want to know why there are inconsistencies. He should be all over them like a wet blanket, so he can get to the truth, but he isn't. Instead, he marries Misty and acts like it isn't his concern or worry that she is inconsistent. This behavior does not support honesty. Is that because he already knows the answers?

Throughout the interview, Cummings is feeling positive emotions. He almost has a "glow" about him. I can't quite put my fingers on it, but it is palpable. He is on the edge, at times, of breaking into a smile. He clearly tries several times to hold it back.

I captured this image below when he said "no" at one point.

ronald+positive+emotions.jpg

You try saying "no" when you are serious. Your lips don't curl up like this (see above). He is saying no and smiling very faintly at the same time. To move your lips upward like this when you feel serious and say no is very awkward to do, unless you are feeling a positive emotion.

Nancy Grace starts out by asking Cummings what Misty originally told him regarding their sleeping arrangements that night with respect to Haleigh. Notice how Ronald does what is considered a "false start"? Cummings starts talking, then stops and changes his direction.

Cummings says, "She told me that she was sleeping in the beh..., um, her and junior were sleeping in my queen size bed and that she was sleeping in the tot bed beside her..."This is quite telling. I suspect he was going to said "bed" above, but stopped mid-sentence.

Was he going to say that she was sleeping in the bed with Junior and Haleigh? When Cummings says the words"beside her," he makes an expression of doubt with his lips and squints his eyes. He pulls his lips up on one side, like when some people say, "I don't know."

He continues with more expressions of doubt when he says, "...three or four feet beside her, or whatever." He squints his eyes like he is trying to recollect this, and his lips move to the opposite side this time, which is unusual for this type of memory, which should be concrete because he has talked about it so many times, if he is telling the truth.

Grace asked how everything got so mis-communicated about where Haleigh slept, and when Cummings replies, the very first few words he says, he has the slightest smirk on his face, "Ms. Nancy, I have no, no answer for you. I don't know how it was mis-communicated."

Grace goes on to ask if Misty told the police that Haleigh was in a separate bed, to which Cummings replies, "I wasn't there when she was questioned by police, Ms. Nancy." At the end of that comment, you can clearly see a grin on his face. It's subtle but definitely there.

Grace than asks why Misty didn't call the police immediately when she realized Haleigh was missing. Notice Cummings doesn't answer the question, and Grace never calls him on it! Instead, he just goes into what I could call a rote speech about the events of that night. He repeats what he has repeated a thousand times.

Also, notice how Cummings' voice inflection changes? All the inflection in his voice disappears, and he talks as if he is drone, just recollecting data. He has no emotions whatsoever.

Why doesn't Cummings feel any emotions about that devastating night? He should feel tremendous pain and anguish when thinking about the realization that his daughter is missing, or at least feeling fear, or worry he experienced that night, but he doesn't.

It's a huge red flag.

He also gets nervous, and starts wiggling in his leg again. Why is he nervous when he talks about this?

Notice he feels nervousness, but he does not feel any emotions when it comes to his daughter?
That's a huge red flag.

Do you also notice how Cummings said he turned the house upside down, and then told Misty to call 911? Why didn't he ever look outside? Isn't that odd? Misty said the front door was propped wide open. Why wouldn't he start canvassing the neighborhood while Misty called police? It's just another inconsistency in his story.

Clearly, what we should be seeing in Cummings, such as serious questions for Misty, if he is truly uninvolved in Haleigh's disappearance, are not present, and worse, he is showing signs of positive emotions, which absolutely make no sense whatsoever."

he is showing signs of positive emotions, which absolutely make no sense whatsoever."
This does make sense if he is getting paid for the videos, and pic from these shows. It is my opinion he started smiling after he got engaged because he was making deals with the today show, and NG for video, and pics. It's the money he's making that causes the glow, and no one has asked the today show or ng how much they paid him for the pics, and videos. I really want to know. That's when he bought the truck, so it was enough for that, plus I'm betting a whole lot more. RK got $20K for one pic. RC gave The today show an exclusive with two videos. I want to know how much he got for them!!!

I had put this in the rumor thread b/c Ron's interviewing issues were being discused there, but I'm pasting it here.

Anyway, Dr. Paul Ekman is an expert in deception detection among other things and found 50 people who have this really nearly perfect ability to spot liars. They are the sort of Mozarts of lie detection. :) Anyway below is what one had to say about Ron's way of answering questions since the conversation here was going in that direction. In the meantime I will look for the correspnding video clip.

Thoughts on Ronald Cummings on Nancy Grace

"What is so fascinating about this appearance is that Ronald Cummings isn't on the defensive like he usually is. He is fine with everyone tightening the reins on Misty, and ironically, that doesn't seem to bother him at all. His posture is relaxed, and his hands are splayed in front of him in a calm manner.

But what is even more interesting is that you would expect Cummings of all people, here to be the most perplexed, mad and concerned about Misty's inconsistencies, if he is innocent and uninvolved, but he isn't!

Cummings, like everyone else, should want to know why there are inconsistencies. He should be all over them like a wet blanket, so he can get to the truth, but he isn't. Instead, he marries Misty and acts like it isn't his concern or worry that she is inconsistent. This behavior does not support honesty. Is that because he already knows the answers?

Throughout the interview, Cummings is feeling positive emotions. He almost has a "glow" about him. I can't quite put my fingers on it, but it is palpable. He is on the edge, at times, of breaking into a smile. He clearly tries several times to hold it back.

I captured this image below when he said "no" at one point.

ronald+positive+emotions.jpg

You try saying "no" when you are serious. Your lips don't curl up like this (see above). He is saying no and smiling very faintly at the same time. To move your lips upward like this when you feel serious and say no is very awkward to do, unless you are feeling a positive emotion.

Nancy Grace starts out by asking Cummings what Misty originally told him regarding their sleeping arrangements that night with respect to Haleigh. Notice how Ronald does what is considered a "false start"? Cummings starts talking, then stops and changes his direction.

Cummings says, "She told me that she was sleeping in the beh..., um, her and junior were sleeping in my queen size bed and that she was sleeping in the tot bed beside her..."This is quite telling. I suspect he was going to said "bed" above, but stopped mid-sentence.

Was he going to say that she was sleeping in the bed with Junior and Haleigh? When Cummings says the words"beside her," he makes an expression of doubt with his lips and squints his eyes. He pulls his lips up on one side, like when some people say, "I don't know."

He continues with more expressions of doubt when he says, "...three or four feet beside her, or whatever." He squints his eyes like he is trying to recollect this, and his lips move to the opposite side this time, which is unusual for this type of memory, which should be concrete because he has talked about it so many times, if he is telling the truth.

Grace asked how everything got so mis-communicated about where Haleigh slept, and when Cummings replies, the very first few words he says, he has the slightest smirk on his face, "Ms. Nancy, I have no, no answer for you. I don't know how it was mis-communicated."

Grace goes on to ask if Misty told the police that Haleigh was in a separate bed, to which Cummings replies, "I wasn't there when she was questioned by police, Ms. Nancy." At the end of that comment, you can clearly see a grin on his face. It's subtle but definitely there.

Grace than asks why Misty didn't call the police immediately when she realized Haleigh was missing. Notice Cummings doesn't answer the question, and Grace never calls him on it! Instead, he just goes into what I could call a rote speech about the events of that night. He repeats what he has repeated a thousand times.

Also, notice how Cummings' voice inflection changes? All the inflection in his voice disappears, and he talks as if he is drone, just recollecting data. He has no emotions whatsoever.

Why doesn't Cummings feel any emotions about that devastating night? He should feel tremendous pain and anguish when thinking about the realization that his daughter is missing, or at least feeling fear, or worry he experienced that night, but he doesn't.

It's a huge red flag.

He also gets nervous, and starts wiggling in his leg again. Why is he nervous when he talks about this?

Notice he feels nervousness, but he does not feel any emotions when it comes to his daughter?
That's a huge red flag.

Do you also notice how Cummings said he turned the house upside down, and then told Misty to call 911? Why didn't he ever look outside? Isn't that odd? Misty said the front door was propped wide open. Why wouldn't he start canvassing the neighborhood while Misty called police? It's just another inconsistency in his story.

Clearly, what we should be seeing in Cummings, such as serious questions for Misty, if he is truly uninvolved in Haleigh's disappearance, are not present, and worse, he is showing signs of positive emotions, which absolutely make no sense whatsoever."

I put a lot of faith in Paul Ekman. He's amazing, and I go to his site often to try to learn more :-) Do you have a link to the above by any chance? I'd like to look around there and see what else I can find.

TIA, Pope

....snip

1.) The Ron video where he drops to the ground

2.) The Misty video where she rambles on about the washing of the blankets

3.) An early, one of the first few, Greta show interviews of Misty and Ron where they're sitting in chairs side by side outside (and she gets 4 inches and 4 feet confused.)

4.) The TODAY SHOW interview of the newlyweds

5.) An early appearance of Crystal on Nancy (stripperpole!) Grace

Here is one I found on the Today Show: http://www.examiner.com/x-1168-Crim...nald-Cummings-and-Misty-Croslin-on-Today-Show

I thought I could find more... but I wasn't able to yet! I will keep looking for you though :-)

I am shocked no one caught it when NG asked RC, "How did this get so miscontrued?"..when she was referring to who slept where.

Well, it is on a Tube video early after the crime that Ron answers that question saying, "They were all sleeping in the same bed"...

He is the one who gave conflicting answers than says he has no idea how it got started.

I am trying to find the link...had it last week...can't find it today but will keep researching.

Ron has poor memory.

When asked on some interviews why there are conflicting statements, RC says, "I have no idea where they came from...". Ron is the one who gives the conflicting statements....

Take a listen....about 1:50 in to the video he states it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGcVo1DfNlg

I just have to say, though.... I have caught myself smiling when answering a question with No... particularly if the question was ridiculous in my mind, or the answer should be obvious, or if I felt that the questioner was either not being serious or already knew the answer. I'm known to be sarcastic at times, to those who know and love me... so the lip-curling, smiling thing is probably just his sarcastic side coming out.

That was a confusing point for me, Indigo;

The inside door was shown on NG as being on a slow auto -closer. SO what was holdiong it open?

And the screen door was the one "bricked" right?

And from photos (I will try to find those) the screen door was held open only a few inches by the cinderblock.

She didn't mention the INSIDE door on the call or was that the one "wide" open? It'd have to be, right? Or how else could she see that the ecreen door was "bricked" unless the inner door were already open?

BINGO! Tell her what she's won Johnny! :)

Statement and analysis people please analyze the video released after weeks of waiting Ron's video released by his lawyer today, Thoughts and opinions welcome. IMHO, this is what we waited weeks to view?

http://findhaleighnow.com/

anyone notice the jaw clenching?

I put a lot of faith in Paul Ekman. He's amazing, and I go to his site often to try to learn more :-) Do you have a link to the above by any chance? I'd like to look around there and see what else I can find.

TIA, Pope

Me too, I'd love to see the link on this. Its fascinating

Hi Peliman,

He looked thinner and with facial gestures that definitely are different from what we saw before. He is stoic. I wonder if had an earpiece and was told to blink...goodness. The mouth movement was odd. This was either caused by extreme tension or he is on some kind of meds or drugs that are giving him side effects. He appears to be grimacing. Doesn't look sad but almost at times seems like he is going to smile. Don't know if this nerves or something else.

He may be terrified speaking alone. I don't think RC does "alone" well....on any level.

I found an interesting scientific article:

Homicide Studies 2009; 13; 69-93
Tracy Harpster, Susan H. Adams and John P. Jarvis
Analyzing 911 Homicide Calls for Indicators of Guilt or Innocence: An Exploratory Analysis

It's about homicide 911 calls and how to determine the likelihood of the caller being guilty. The abstract is readable here. http://hsx.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/13/1/69 The full text requires a subscription, I got it through my library.

Here is an earlier article from some of the same authors with much the same information in a more practically oriented, less scientific style:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2194/is_6_77/ai_n27504386/?tag=content;col1

Based on their research, Harpster, Adams and Jarvis list the following as indicators of potential innocence in their study of callers reporting homicide:
-Immediacy, including early pleas for help, pleas for help for the victim only, urgency of plea, demanding plea, voice modulation, verbal reaction of caller before the 911 dispatcher’s first cue
-accuracy, including self-correction
-validity, meaning plea for help

Indicators of potential guilt include:
-Evasion, including resistance in answering, huh factor, repetition, conflicting facts
-extraneous information
-Distancing measure, including acceptance of death (dependent on whether there is a relationship between the caller and a victim), possession of a problem, inappropriate politeness, insulting or blaming victim, plea for caller only and minimizing their own involvement before, after or during the event. (I just seen him in his car-type of responses).

None of the above mentioned factors are definitive indications of guilt or innocence. All of them can be found in both kinds of calls. It’s just a matter of statistical probability.

The possession of problem is a bit hard to explain so I’ll quote:

"Why would individuals call the emergency line and concentrate on themselves, reporting a problem without asking the dispatcher for assistance for the person who needs it? The following dialogue occurred when a father called 911 concerning his son:

Dispatcher: 911. What is your emergency?
Guilty caller: I have an unconscious child who is breathing very shallowly.

In this case, the father took personal possession of a problem ("I have") and referred to his problem (his dying son) as "an unconscious child." When the paramedics arrived at the residence, the child already had died. The father had assaulted his son, causing cerebral hemorrhaging. Twelve percent of the 911 callers in the study took personal possession of the problem. All were guilty of the homicide."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2194/is_6_77/ai_n27504386/pg_3/?tag=content;col1

The most statistically significant factor in Harpster et al’s study was extraneous information (in regard to the outcome, guilt or innocent) but most of the others ended up significant as well, with the exception of minimizing. I figure that’s because both genuine innocent bystanders who just happened upon a body by chance and killers who want to keep out of jail may say they just happened upon a body by chance. Self-correction wasn’t significant in a multivariate analysis, possibly because it came up in such a small number of calls. The authors note that there might be other factors, such as self-interruptions, contractions and usage they didn’t study.

The authors also discuss that one limitation of their study is that they didn’t study calls made by people under 19 nor anyone who was severely under influence while calling. Does this mean it can’t be applied to Haleigh 911 call? Misty was 17, I don’t think that two years would make very much of a difference in verbal behaviour but youth and lack of experience might account for some uncertainty and awkwardness with the procedure. Presumably the emotional reaction a loving and responsible teen stepmom has when a child is missing is pretty much as big as an older caretaker, though, and if one is mature enough to take the responsibility for two children 24/7 one has to be able to report them missing if need be. It is not known if Misty had taken anything that night. If she had it might account for some of the huh factor and the trouble she had answering simple questions.

Some of the citations may be worth looking at. For example:

Olsson, J. (2004). Forensic linguistics: An introduction to language, crime and law. London: Continuum International Publishing Group.

I haven’t read this yet but it is about 911 calls in cases of arson. According to Harpster et al, Olson says that hoax calls differ from genuine ones in that they display less sense of urgency and cooperation by delivering information with “full, frank and timely answering of any questions in addition to the spontaneous offering of any information regarded as essential” and also “defined aspects of phonetic output as the emergency callers’ attempt to communicate nonextraneous information, with intonational emphasis and a rising voice pitch on key words.” I find this interesting, although we know by now that this call was not a hoax at least in that Haleigh really existed and was really gone.

I wanted to look at information that was offered by Misty spontaneously versus that requested by the dispatcher.

The information Misty considers essential enough to volunteer without being asked includes the following:
-she just woke up
-backdoor was wide open
-she can’t find their daughter (not exactly true, Haleigh was not her daughter.)
-she was cleaning
-the door was bricked
-when she was sleeping it was not like that

The information that she has to be asked for, sometimes repeatedly, includes
-the address (asked repeatedly)
-when did she last see the child (she prefaces her reply with “umm, we like just, you know…” stalling for time. Who is we? Just what? You know? Clearly the dispatcher doesn’t know or she wouldn’t be asking the question. Do the pauses and restarts indicate that she was about to say something else but thought better of it?)
-child’s age
-child’s clothing (we now know her reply to this question was false)
-explanation of why she mentioned a brick (her reply is confusing, inconsistent, first she says it was on the floor, then on the stairs, (almost like), then on a walkway)
-color of the house
-description of missing child, her height, weight, color of her hair (stalling again, requiring the dispatcher to repeat some questions as much as three times, reciting back the dispatcher’s questions, repeating words in her answer, giving vague answers, does not know what she weighs, why does she insert oh my gosh when affirming that the child has brown hair, why did the dispatcher have to suggest a color for her at all? She should know what color hair her stepdaughter has. Maybe she said brown and the recording didn’t catch it but the dispatcher did. Mind you, the Amber alert listed her hair as blonde.)
-name and phone number (again, the dispatcher asks for the name repeatedly, there appears to be some confusion about which name is Haleighs and which Misty’s)
-if the door was locked
-are there obvious signs of forced entry
-the missing child’s name (somehow neither Ron or Misty mentions her name during this entire phone call of several minutes. The dispatcher has to ask for it near the end of the call. It’s a bit odd to me. If I had a child missing I’d like the searchers with megaphones yelling her name in every forest nearby ASAP and I would probably be hollering out in the yard myself)
-her date of birth (she can’t supply this)

I sense a pattern here. All that Misty offers freely is that she was cleaning and sleeping and when she woke up there was a brick and an open back door, and she can’t find her daughter. Basically the things she tells unasked make up an explanation as to why she doesn’t know anything, an alibi of sorts for her. Look, I cleaned, (it must mean she’s a good housekeeper, why else is she mentioning it? Is her cleaning somehow significant to Haleigh being missing? It’s an odd piece of extraneous information), and while I slept someone put a brick at the back door and presumably a female child I am related to somehow disappeared from that back door.

However, the dispatcher has to prompt or to repeatedly beg for any essential information that might help LE to find the house or to broadcast a missing children alert for Haleigh (name, age, time last seen, place last seen, clothing, size, general description). None of that is volunteered without being asked. None. There is also no mention of any medical conditions that she has. So she doesn’t do very well on Olsson’s criterion of “spontaneous delivery of information regarded as essential” . How about "full, frank and timely answering of any questions”? Not that so much either. It might be that she was distracted by something that Ron did or she couldn’t hear the dispatcher too well and that’s why the dispatcher had to repeat some of her questions but there appears to be stalling, a huh factor with some pretty straightforward questions, and some vague, unhelpful answers. She’s trying but the dispatcher has to dig everything out of her with a shovel.

There is also no plea for help on Misty’s part. She is politely reporting waking up, an open back door, and a missing child, in that order, not urgently or even calmly requesting or demanding immediate assistance, taking her time to do it (“hi, umm… I just woke up...and our backdoor was wide open and I think...and I can’t find our daughter”).

RC’s contribution is more difficult to analyze because he didn’t make the call from the beginning and we can’t be sure of how much of the previous conversation between Misty and the dispatcher he could follow. He was there making background comments at least some of the time. I’m not sure if anyone’s studied how 911 calls by several callers differ from others.

However, his voluntary offerings to the conversation include the following
-he needs someone to get there now (he says this repeatedly)
-he just got home from work
-his five year old daughter is gone
-he assumes that she was taken by someone and he’ll kill the perp if he can
-he doesn’t care about spending the rest of his life in prison
-he knows that his threats are recorded but he doesn’t care
-he’ll F’ing kill somebody
-they need to find her
-he is looking for his phone, they’ve got better people to talk to than 911 because LE wasn’t there immediately

His prompted replies to the dispatcher’s queries include the following
-he doesn’t know what kind of pajamas she had. This is where he hang up, I think.
-F her date of birth

His alibi is there and he demands for help but otherwise there isn’t much that helps in the search for Haleigh. Yeah, he wuz at werk, and didn’t know which pajamas Misty dressed her in, but he could have asked Misty, Misty was there. I guess he didn’t think of that. Anyway, doesn’t matter, because Misty didn’t know either and because I presume that while they searched, LE checked out any little girls spotted in suspicious circumstances regardless of what they were wearing. .

One thing he could have helped with if he’d cooperated better was to mention that there was a non-custodial parent. During that 911 call, it never even came out that there might be a possibility it’s a family abduction. Misty introduced herself as Haleigh’s mother, talking about “our daughter”, Ronald about “my daughter” and neither of them corrected the erroneous assumption that they were husband and wife, so the dispatcher probably just assumed that she was talking with Haleigh’s biological parents. If Crystal took her it might have made a difference if either Ronald or Misty could have supplied them with Crystal’s name and address, description and the description of her car or at least the information that there was a mother elsewhere and LE might need to check her and her family out. The 911 call was made at 3:27 and according to Crystal she got the first call 3:49 so that’s a 22 minutes delay in contacting her plus whatever time was wasted before Misty called 911. You never know, sometimes 2 minutes make all the difference in solving a crime. Possibly it just did not occur to them at the time, or maybe they had some other suspects in mind. Ron refers to the abductor as “him”.

Ron does demands for help, and I’d put him down as urgent although his urgency is downplayed a bit by the fact that he initially had Misty make the call and let her waste time umming and huhhing. Not sure his effing would have been any better though. The dispatcher preferred to talk to Misty anyway.

I counted four to six instances that might be classified as pleas for help, such as they are.

-(background) “tell them they've better come on...” Just a general hurry up, not a plea for help for anyone in particular
-Ronald Cummings: "Man, I need somebody to get here now!" plea for help for the caller
-Ronald Cummings: "I just got home from work, my five-year-old daughter is gone- I need someone here now." An unrequested alibi, minimizing his own involvement, followed by a plea for help for the caller

-Ronald Cummings: "they better bring f'ing something out here- because if I get my hands on that mother f'er I'm going to kill him...I don't give a f%*)@# about prison...mother F'ing prison doesn't scare me." This was in response to the dispatcher mentioning the dogs. Very urgent but not really a plea for either the caller or the victim, more like a general warning that there will be violence. You’d better come because I won’t account for my actions. A plea to put the perp away (for his own safety). Haleigh would probably have preferred a dad out of jail. Although I was tempted to classify this under extraneous information because his feelings about ending up in jail were not solicited for and did not have anything to do with finding Haleigh. He’s only concerned about finding and beating up the perp here, not finding her and helping her to get home well soon.

Ronald Cummings: "F her date of birth- we need to find her- f her date of birth." Not sure if this should be included as a plea for help because no help is actually asked for and it’s not clear if he’s including the police in his “we” or if he’s just talking about himself, Misty and the better people to call. Still, I mention it because it’s the only instance during the 911 call that either of them mentions that the victim, the missing child needs to be found. Haleigh, remember her?
Ronald Cummings: "where is my f'ing phone...we've got better people to talk to then some mother f'ers who ain't coming." Again, not exactly a plea for help because he writes LE off but I guess complaining that they take too long arriving implies that one would have liked them to arrive fast.

Mind you, I’m not sure that the plea for help for the caller/the victim distinction is as meaningful in a missing person case as in a homicide because the homicide callers have the option to demand an ambulance for the victim lying bleeding on their floor but LE investigating a missing person doesn’t have a location for the ambulance to be sent and have to start the investigation by talking to the caller. Still, there seems to be a slight difference between “please help my daughter, you have to find my daughter, she’s five years old and afraid of the dark and she can’t survive long in this cold without her shoes, oh God, what if someone’s abducted her, you’ve got to come and FIND HER NOW” and “I need police assistance, I cannot find my daughter, please help me before I’m gonna kill someone, I’ll end up in prison before too long…”.

So what have we got from the list of indicators Harpster et al studied? The comments in brackets are my interpretation, not theirs, obviously.

Indicators of potential innocence include:

-Immediacy, including early pleas for help (not for Misty, yes for Ronald if you start counting from where he appears on the transcript instead of the start of the call), pleas for help for the victim only (not really for either of them), urgency of plea (yes for Ron, no for Misty), demanding plea (yes for Ron, not for Misty), voice modulation (I just went by the transcript and didn’t look at this. That’s a whole another exercise), verbal reaction of caller before the 911 dispatcher’s first cue (apparently no, although I’m not sure if the recording starts before the dispatcher speaks)

-Accuracy, including self-correction (well, there’s the brick on the floor, stairs, walkway. Does it count as self-correction or conflicting facts? She knew where the brick was from the beginning but self-correction in this study has more to do with correcting oneself after one learns new information. No correction about the familial relationships)

-Validity, meaning plea for help (yes for Ron, not for Misty)

Indicators of potential guilt according to the same authors include:

-Evasion, including resistance in answering, huh factor, repetition, conflicting facts (Ronald’s definitely got resistance in answering, he even hangs up when he doesn’t like the questions. Misty misses answering some questions, at least the first time, and stalls for time. There might be several reasons for that. However, she defines the huh factor. The dispatcher asks Ronald only two questions, so there’s not enough data to say if he’s got the huh factor or not. Most of his contribution to the call is ranting that is not in response to any question. Misty does some repetition but not enough according to the criteria of repetition in this study: saying the same thing three times or more, eg. “Oh god, oh god, oh god, oh my god”. Conflicting facts, well, the location of the brick was confusing to the dispatcher. Also, she said it wasn’t there when she was asleep which she wouldn’t know.but I suppose she meant she didn’t see it before she fell asleep. The pajamas and the familial relationships were false facts but the opposing information didn’t come out during the 911 call so I don’t think they’d have been flagged in Harpster et al’s study.)

-Extraneous information (well, the cleaning part stands out to me. Why does she say that? Otherwise there’s not that much. Some passages where she starts to say something and then checks herself and starts again, I get the feeling she might have been about to launch into another cleaning or blanket story but decided not to. Obviously that’s just conjecture.)

-Distancing measure, including acceptance of death dependent on whether there is a relationship between the caller and a victim (this is not applicable to the 911 call although I might mention that comment in an interview “I’d give my life for my child’s life back) , possession of a problem (her problem is "I can’t find our daughter", does that qualify?), inappropriate politeness (hi, umm…), insulting or blaming victim (not present in this 911 call), plea for caller only (yes for Ron, no for Misty who does no pleas whatsoever) and minimizing their own involvement before, after or during the event. (I just woke up, I was sleeping, I just came home, I was at work…Well, it might be true. Still, was it the most important information they could convey?)

Disclaimer: Please remember that the indicators are statistical pointers only and no indicator is exclusively found in guilty or innocent homicide calls. Also, the Haleigh 911 call did not report a homicide so some of the criteria identified in Harpster et al’s research may not be directly applicable. If either of the callers was intoxicated, it might also influence the analysis.

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks for reading if you got this far. This is a slightly revised version of something I posted in the RT. I edited to fix links and make it clearer which parts were straight quotes and my paraphrases of Harpster et al’s ideas and which parts my twist on the 911 call based on their ideas. They’re not to blame for any comments referring to Misty and Ron. Their article came out before Haleigh went missing. The Misty and Ron quotes and my paraphrases of them are based on this transcript: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - 911 & LE Radio call/Police Report**REVISITED**

I put this in the rumor thread too b/c folks seem to gather there; so I thought no one would see it up here but I wanted to try to revive this threead heh.

I wanted to get some thoughts and reactions from you.

Anyhoo...

(these seem to load slowly so give them a few seconds extra) :-)

RAW VIDEO: Haleigh Cummings' Stepmom Under Hypnosis
http://www.wftv.com/video/20605182/index.html

refresher if you need it - Misty Croslin Interview on CBS Early Show Feb 17, 2009
YouTube - Misty Croslin Interview on CBS Early Show Feb 17, 2009

911 call here
http://www.news4jax.com/video/18700882/index.html

some quotes below - from the video in case you cant link it or feel iffy to click a link

(and may I add a preface of - holy crap, get a load of this)

Also, to me she looks like she's pretending to be afraid as she recalls AND-SHE-TALKS-ALL-SPEEDY-SO-WE-WILL-KNOW-THAT-SHE'S-REALLY-REALLY-AH-SKEERED.

I cant buy it.

Also if she is recalling actually fear when the door is found "wide open" (that would for sure scare me) she's all cucumber cool. WTH? It doesn't fit together.

MISTY:
"I woke up some...at three o'clock, I just woke up out of the blue. Three something, I just woke up.
I don't know what made me wake up, and I seen the kitchen light that was on and I know my kitchen light was shut off,

and it was glaring in my bedroom so I mean all the lights, every things turned off when I went to bed...

and the light in the kitchen is glaring so I get up to see what is going on, and the back door was wide open,
and there's a cement block holding the screen door open.

I didn't know Haleigh was gone yet.

I ran back into the bedroom to grab my cell phone, called 911, because the back door was open and
I know the back door was shut when I went to sleep, and I freak'n out already, cuz the back door was open,
and I didn't know what do, and as soon as I called...

I got my phone and uh... and I as soon as I got on the phone and I turned around, she was gone.

So I started look in the house, under the beds, closets, everywhere I could think of...just freak'n out.

And by the time I opened the front door to go out the front door, Ronald pulled up, and he said call the cops so I immediately called 911 (end time marker 9:38)."

The things that Misty had heralded before as important are not the same, right?

For example, there's the goiing-to-the bathroom bit in her initial version.

Now she's all, "blaring light" in the bedroom.

On the 911 call she gives a different version,

Misty: "...I seen 3 -- in the morning. I got up and I got up b/c I had to use the bathroom.... but I didn't make it to the bathroom.

I seen the kitchen light on and I walked in the kitchen and the back door is wide open.

I mean I didn't notice about Haleigh then until I seen the back door open and I go into the room and she's gone. And that's all I know."

Why didn't she SAY that she called 911 before realizing that Haleigh was gone?

Misty initially said that she called Ron before calling the cops right?

but in this new renditioin, she omits that little nugget.

In the CBS Early Show link she says,

"Well, at first, I'd seen the back door was open, then I was running around the house looking for her, and I got my phone and I called her dad, and then I called the police."

Holy cow, she's grabbing the phone in all different kinds of order.

In the quote from the Early Show above, first she says that she called 911 before realizing Haleigh was missing; Then later she's all, "Ron pulled up and he said call the cops so I immediately called 911."

WHEN DID SHE CALL 911? WHEN DID SHE NOTICE HALEIGH WAS GONE?

BAH..

MOO.

Well, really. You don't need to have her flunking all those lie detection tests to know she is lying, right? She contradicts herself every time she opens her mouth.

Very interesting ! The 911 call has always interested me and I keep going back to it. The fact that Misty places the call and not the bio father (who just happens to be there too) prompted questions from me from the get go. His responses during the call...I know this is being recorded, thoughts of going to prison if he has to...and this is just the 911 call, not a judgement on all of the other statements made since.

Thanks for bringing this thread back up front..I am fascinated with statement analysis.

Ronald's behavior disturbs me. It's all specualtion for me b/c all I feel for sure is that he's lying.

I know everyone is different but many things are universal or similar among humans, like "most" people - imo- do certain common things ... many of the times... statistically speaking even.

I mean think about it.. If you came home (as he said he did) and were told your child is gone, you would look all around right? And his immediate contention was "Someone stole her." His efforts to look for her around the home were lame at best.

(Why? b/c he already knew, imo)

If Misty left the kids alone, hurt the kids, drugged the kids on her own, whatever... she'd be dead at worst and at best, or he'd be much more angry at her and not all "in her corner" .. imo.

If he were not involved in anything he wouldn't need to urge Misty to say certain things in a certain ways; Like in some videos you can see him coaching or nudging her or even changing her words. At times he's even answering FOR HER when SHE is asked a question. If he were innocent imo he would have left her to twist in the wind and answer the questions for herself.

I wouldn't have expected an innocent uninvolved person to throw a hissy fit on the 911 call like he did either. Yes, having a child missing is horribly unbearably traumatic and makes you devastated and hysterical even, but he threw a hissy fit. There's a difference....in my opinion.

I wouldn't have expected him to be all pro-Misty right from the get-go either. He's a documented hothead; If he were uninvolved, imo, he would have been ALL OVER MISTY... but he wasn't. He married her. If innoecnt, he would have left her, blamed her, put pressure on her for answers; but instead he's all, "Well, she didn't really say, Miz Nancy." WHAT???

Why? b/c he already knew... ....in my opinion.

MOO

Ronald's behavior disturbs me. It's all specualtion for me b/c all I feel for sure is that he's lying.

I know everyone is different but many things are universal or similar among humans, like "most" people - imo- do certain common things ... many of the times... statistically speaking even.

I mean think about it.. If you came home (as he said he did) and were told your child is gone, you would look all around right? And his immediate contention was "Someone stole her." His efforts to look for her around the home were lame at best.

(Why? b/c he already knew, imo)

If Misty left the kids alone, hurt the kids, drugged the kids on her own, whatever... she'd be dead at worst and at best, or he'd be much more angry at her and not all "in her corner" .. imo.

If he were not involved in anything he wouldn't need to urge Misty to say certain things in a certain ways; Like in some videos you can see him coaching or nudging her or even changing her words. At times he's even answering FOR HER when SHE is asked a question. If he were innocent imo he would have left her to twist in the wind and answer the questions for herself.

I wouldn't have expected an innocent uninvolved person to throw a hissy fit on the 911 call like he did either. Yes, having a child missing is horribly unbearably traumatic and makes you devastated and hysterical even, but he threw a hissy fit. There's a difference....in my opinion.

I wouldn't have expected him to be all pro-Misty right from the get-go either. He's a documented hothead; If he were uninvolved, imo, he would have been ALL OVER MISTY... but he wasn't. He married her. If innoecnt, he would have left her, blamed her, put pressure on her for answers; but instead he's all, "Well, she didn't really say, Miz Nancy." WHAT???

Why? b/c he already knew... ....in my opinion.

MOO

my bold

in the engagement ring video Misty says I know people will take this all wrong but its still about finding Haleigh, its what she wanted.

Who are "people" to whom she refers? And how did getting married help find Haleigh? How did they expect it to? That was clearly a made-up rehearsed reason, so what was the real reason?

This part of things is what totally befuddles me.

Very interesting ! The 911 call has always interested me and I keep going back to it. The fact that Misty places the call and not the bio father (who just happens to be there too) prompted questions from me from the get go. His responses during the call...I know this is being recorded, thoughts of going to prison if he has to...and this is just the 911 call, not a judgement on all of the other statements made since.

Thanks for bringing this thread back up front..I am fascinated with statement analysis.

when I heard the 911 call I had a hard time believing those words and emotions were faked. When I observed him on tv I thought he was sincere. But, I do not know this man personally and would have no way of knowing that his friends and family members think he is a gifted actor.

my bold

in the engagement ring video Misty says I know people will take this all wrong but its still about finding Haleigh, its what she wanted.

Who are "people" to whom she refers? And how did getting married help find Haleigh? How did they expect it to? That was clearly a made-up rehearsed reason, so what was the real reason?

This part of things is what totally befuddles me.

yes, and the statement "it's what Haleigh would have wanted" makes no sense after hearing Ronald say he thought Haleigh might have woke up and saw something she shouldn't have seen! Did they really think Haleigh would want her Daddy to marry someone that betrayed her father?

Well, Haleigh wouldn't want her dad going to jail over his 17 year old gf. or her brother taken from dad either.

Divide and conquer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fangirl88
Back