Student Sues School After Getting A Zero On Religion Drawing

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sure, BUT every artist has a different perspective on landscapes and some people's perspective may include words. I think that's a valid artistic choice to make. I think you could make a whole landscape out of nothing but words.:)

Well, of course you are RIGHT! Maybe he should have done one or the other? All words or no words?

Well, of course you are RIGHT! Maybe he should have done one or the other? All words or no words?

I heard what you said about the teacher trying to be creative, though!

This school does need to look at this policy and either enforce it consistantly or be done with it.

It's so funny to me - I have never met an art teacher who tried to squash creativity on any level!

I didn't say "only", what I said was all she did was give him a zero. Meaning, she didn't molets him or attack him, she failed him on an art project. Hardly evil incarnate. He wasn't punished until he tore up the policy.

Let me ask this and I know I'll be jumped all over, but what the hell. If this was a Muslim student or a Pagan student, would we be calling the teacher one who walks on the "dark side?" I highly doubt it. We'd be saying we're tired of Muslims thinking they don't have to obey the rules or that Pagans were probably drawing demons. Bottom line, other students complained, he was asked to remove the Bible verse and instead tore up the school policy. There is no excuse for that. Again, had it been a student of a different faith, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
if this lawsuit was based on the theory a child has a right to protest unfair policies by showing disrespect to a teacher i would be on the other side. the lawsuit is about the student
(1) getting a 0 for work he did due to it including a religious reference.
(2) the school has a second teacher that refused to allow him to create a project in metal shop with a religious theme.
(3) the school allows religious symbols from some faiths but not all faiths.

i have yet to meet a perfect person let alone a perfect teenager. even children that make mistakes should have the right to express religious freedom. as for defending the right to faith i do not agree with i have done it on more than 1 occasion.

Actually, he was punished the minute he received a zero!

I agree !!!!!!!!

This is a HIGH SCHOOL TEENAGER. Already immature.

He got a ZERO for drawing a cross while other kids were being allowed to draw demonic figures. And he felt repressed in other classes. Yet other classes showed (and possibly preached?) other religions. Teenagers, especially teenage boys, do not always act rationally, and often display such action when felt somewhat trapped. I can see him almost feeling like he had few places to turn. If multiple teachers were enforcing this, he probably felt like the principal would be a waste of time. Mind you folks, I'm not defending his actions -- but I was in high school not too long ago, and I had a lot of friends who did a lot worse than that!

I see where no religion started. I have had people try to force their religion on me. I had a teacher in a public school who ignored this rule (she had tenure) and preached to us that Jews were dumb and that we needed accept Jesus. And at extra-curricular activities (with dance) I've had all of my friends do a prayer circle before the show in which they specifically prayed to Jesus. Now I'm not saying they shouldn't have done this, but being the only Jewish girl in these situations was a little uncomftorable!

This being said, religion is a part of life. We need to teach about ALL religions and all aspects of religion! And just like I don't think the kid should have gotten a zero for painting a cross, I also don't think anyone from any religion should experience that.

I don't know if I'm growing older or if society is going downhill, but I see more and more prejudices! I've been called derogatory names for being Jewish; I've seen my Muslim friends nearly be victims of violence because of bigotry.

So basically I think we need to incorporate more religion into our education ... we need to teach tolerance and acceptance, and what each religion is about!! After all, many people only know about 'extremists' from other religions. I'd like the USA to stay a melting pot:)

.......So basically I think we need to incorporate more religion into our education ... we need to teach tolerance and acceptance, and what each religion is about!! After all, many people only know about 'extremists' from other religions. I'd like the USA to stay a melting pot:)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Why do you guys keep calling these creatures demonic? They looked like mythical drawings you'd see in a fantasy story.

Please don't tell me any of you are taking these drawings and trying to associate them with religion (or anti-religion).

Imho, the teacher was an idiot for not simply giving him an F for a crappy drawing. And, if he asked why, she could have pointed out the perspective and shading problems, for starters. After all, the guy is supposed to be a senior and this is supposed to be an art class, not a kindergarten paint by number exercise. As for the bible reference? They were instructed to draw a landscape, so he could have at the very least tried to incorporate that into his crappy picture rather than blatantly ignoring the teacher's instructions. Even so, I think the teacher was also an idiot for focusing upon the whole religious bit in the first place. As opposed to say... oh... idunno... maybe focusing upon what she was hired to do? You know, like, teach art?

Discrimination complaints shall be processed in accordance with
established school board procedures.

This is the part of policy he should have paid attention to instead of tearing it up in the teachers classroom. It becomes an issue of discrimination when a school picks and chooses which religion they will let be represented.. as far as I am concerned the images the other students drew were fantasy pictures as stated but cetainly Buddha is concerned a religious figure..It just seems to me that a lot of schools have an issue of separating church and state but only when that church is the Christian faith. Why do so many schools seem to find Christianity politically incorrect but not the Wiccan or any other religion that is not considerd mainstream..All or nothing is my opinion..

Why do you guys keep calling these creatures demonic? They looked like mythical drawings you'd see in a fantasy story.

Please don't tell me any of you are taking these drawings and trying to associate them with religion (or anti-religion).

i agree. if they had written "i bow ye to satan" or something like that i'm sure they would have gotten zeros too.

i agree it's wrong what they did to the kid though. that was just stupid. i would have torn up the document too.

that looks like a landscape to me... with a cross in the background. what the heck. i support his lawsuit too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imabrattoo
Back