Summary of Damien's Mental Health History

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How was the mental illness treated properly over the last 18 years? As I understand it, DR prisoners are only allowed such medication as is necessary to keep them sane enough to be executed. I also understand that Damien wasn't taking any medication at all in prison.

Do you think its possible that Damien's weird behaviour may not have been due to an underlying mental illness, but side effects to all the prescription drugs, (and I suspect some not entirely legal drugs), he was taking?

I have never read that Damien Echols took no medication while he was in prison. I may have simply forgotten.....this case was one that I started reading about in August when they were released from prison. It had been a long time ago that I saw PL1 and read Devil's Knot. That really surprises me because Damien Echols changed so much from just that 1996 interview to how he spoke and presented himself later on in interviews. I know that the rules involving a person on death row are cruel and senseless. But I was under the impression that they can (and have...again my memory)force a person on death row to take psychiatric medication so that they are cognizant of their crimes and punishment up to and including the death itself. At least, I think so. And I am completely against the death penalty. It is unbelievable that this country carries out such barbaric cruelty. It should be abolished and I constantly write letters to my governor in my state about it.

His hospitalizations prior to the murders and the papers in his mental health reports are why I believe him to be mentally ill. I believe Damien Echols may have had teen angst but he also said things and did things that were beyond just that assumption of his behaviors and beliefs.

I meant no snark when I commented that I believed he have been given a medication that lessened or ended what I perceived to be delusional thoughts and actions. Psych medications can be miraculous and if Echols was given something like that, then it was part of the reason he was able to have the strength to continue fighting his conviction and sentence.

If he has to take psychiatric medication, then I sincerely hope that he continues to do so and to continue therapy (if he chooses) so that he can adjust to his new life and the challenges he'll always have to deal with. I have the same hope for all of the 3.

I know that Damien discusses his medication in Almost Home. He discusses that he was taking Imiprapine (sp) for depression when he was arrested. He had to go off of the medication "cold turkey" at that time. He went on to say that he has not taken any anti depressants since then, relying instead on meditation to keep him centered.

I believe that, back in 1993, Damien was a depressed teenager, probably clinically depressed. However, the medication he was prescribed (Imiprapine) has since been shown to worsen the condition in teenagers. IMO, it is a good thing that Damien was able to rid himself of the need for drugs.

Again, IMO, Damien's main problem was teen angst. Yes, he was depressed, but so are a lot of teenagers. I believe that too often doctors prescribe anti depressants to teenagers when all they need is patience and time. I believe that Damien was such a case. I believe that he is now drug free. The Alford plea documentation includes a statement to that effect.

I would never believe much of what Damien 'Icky' Echols aka the Boogey Man of West Memphis would tell.

For one thing, the only reason the 500-files are available is because his defense submitted them so that he would not be death penalty eligible.

Any health/mental records would be a violation of the HIIPA laws to make that public. He could make it public, but he is not. It's just like him saying he is innocent, it's only verbal with no proof.

As far as treatment in prison, he probably never had it so good. From what he claims of being poor and so-on-and-so-on. He had a place to live, TV, a library, books to read, telephone, medical care including dental, and so-on-and-so-on.

If he REALLY had experienced any mistreatment and ALL the attorneys he had I am sure there would have been a lawsuit, but there is none:)

Keep believing the miss-truths and keep throwing your money at it. That's what his motive is, to have people who actually believe that he is mistreated and also innocent of a horrible crime, but it's not the truth...

This is Damien Echols interviewed in 1996 for Prime Time Justice (a former Court TV show) I wish there was more of this interview but this clip was all I could find. Damien Echols Interviewed on Court TV - Primetime Justice 1996 - YouTube

What stands out is that he says he wouldn't change a thing about his past because what happened made him into what he is today (or something close to it)

Why would he say that? Why did he feel that way?

Could it be because he is a sociopath? He's happy with himself.

I see his nails were allowed to grown long. To me it says that he got to do things he wanted to do.

Also, I wanted to add that in this video his hair is long, but it wasn't in his mugshot or other photos before his arrest. In those photos it was at the nape of his neck. I don't understand why people comment about him having long hair when it was only to the nape of his neck?

In his pre- prison photos he was fat and dumpy looking. No way was he too poor to eat.

Okay. I must have missed something because I haven't seen anyone claim that he was too poor to eat. :waitasec:

Exactly. He had food, clothing, jewelry etc. What exactly made him so pitiable. He provoked people intentionally. What makes him deserving of anyone's sympathy for that?

He was falsely convicted and sentenced to death for another man's crime. That's why he is deserving of sympathy - and the only reason he is deserving of sympathy.

I'm sorry, I just don't get the food, clothing, jewelry, provocation logic. Either he killed these children or he didn't. If he did, it doesn't matter a damn how much food, jewelry and provocation he possessed. If he didn't, it doesn't matter either.

I don't even know why you would bring the subject up. He is either deserving of sympathy because he is innocent, or not because he is guilty. What relevance does the rest of this claptrap have?

In his pre- prison photos he was fat and dumpy looking. No way was he too poor to eat.

That is an absurd statement. Poor nutrition often means eating foods high in calories and fat which can lead to overweight. Have you seen pictures of children suffering from malnutrition? Their stomachs are extremely bloated. Being overweight is not an indication of proper nutrition.

ETA: When I say "poor nutrition" I'm talking about the foods that poor people have the money to buy.

You're right, he's not malnourished, dressed in good clothing, has jewelry on and appears to have his hair styled, but I wouldn't call his hair long as it only comes to the nape of his neck.

I think these are the photos his mother took of him right after the murders, but before his arrest:
http://callahan.8k.com/images/depic01.jpg

http://callahan.8k.com/images/depic02.JPG

I would never believe much of what Damien 'Icky' Echols aka the Boogey Man of West Memphis would tell.

But you will believe everything that the Keystone Kops aka the WMPD say. You believe the error-filled statements of a mentally-challenged youth. You believe the hearsay evidence of two tweens who were eavesdropping. Sorry. Damien has much more credibility than any of the above.

For one thing, the only reason the 500-files are available is because his defense submitted them so that he would not be death penalty eligible.

That worked out really well, didn't it?

Any health/mental records would be a violation of the HIIPA laws to make that public. He could make it public, but he is not. It's just like him saying he is innocent, it's only verbal with no proof.

It seems that those records are public. That's what this thread is discussing, isn't it? But you're right in implying that his mental health records don't prove him to be a murderer. I've been saying that for quite some time now.

As far as treatment in prison, he probably never had it so good. From what he claims of being poor and so-on-and-so-on. He had a place to live, TV, a library, books to read, telephone, medical care including dental, and so-on-and-so-on.

Do you want to spend over 18 years on Death Row for a crime of which you are innocent? When you have done that, then you can criticize Damien for complaining of his treatment. Otherwise, you don't have any information to refute his statements. Oh, and his supposed dental treatment consisted only of extraction. You want to have all you teeth pulled instead of filled?

If he REALLY had experienced any mistreatment and ALL the attorneys he had I am sure there would have been a lawsuit, but there is none:)

He tried. IIRC, the ADC "investigated" and determined that none of his allegations had merit. That's kind of like leaving a fox to guard the hen house IMO.

Keep believing the miss-truths and keep throwing your money at it. That's what his motive is, to have people who actually believe that he is mistreated and also innocent of a horrible crime, but it's not the truth...

The truth is that the State of Arkansas freed him and his co-defendants on August 19, 2011 as a result of an Alford plea in which, although they plead guilty, they maintained their innocence. The State of Arkansas maintains that they are all guilty. So, I guess the State of Arkansas believes that, if you're a murderer, all you've gotta do is say, "I done it!" and they'll let you go. Does that make ANY SENSE WHATSOEVER to you? It doesn't to me.

You're right, he's not malnourished, dressed in good clothing, has jewelry on and appears to have his hair styled, but I wouldn't call his hair long as it only comes to the nape of his neck.

I think these are the photos his mother took of him right after the murders, but before his arrest:
http://callahan.8k.com/images/depic01.jpg

http://callahan.8k.com/images/depic02.JPG

Here's his mugshot.

http://callahan.8k.com/images2/de_mug.jpg

Now, I realize that it's all OPINION, but I would consider his hair to be long, especially when compared to what was "acceptable" for boys and young men in West Memphis/Marion back in 1993.

Let's take a look at the defendant's hair, shall we? Not just Damien, who is rather weirdly the obsession of some on the non side, but all of them...

baldwin_States_exhibit_99_comp.jpg

thumbnail.aspx

thumbnail.aspx

Now let's take a look at the hair of the man who's hair was actually DNA matched to a hair found at the crime scene. Specifically, it was found under the ligature binding Michael Moore's left hand to his left foot...

thumbnail.aspx

Obviously these things are subjective, but do you think their hair is shorter or longer than Terry Hobbs?

The truth is that the State of Arkansas freed him and his co-defendants on August 19, 2011 as a result of an Alford plea in which, although they plead guilty, they maintained their innocence. The State of Arkansas maintains that they are all guilty. So, I guess the State of Arkansas believes that, if you're a murderer, all you've gotta do is say, "I done it!" and they'll let you go. Does that make ANY SENSE WHATSOEVER to you? It doesn't to me.

I don't consider their hair being long at all even for the early 1990's. Many people had long hair back then because it was fashionable and even longer hair was seen on the metal music scene. Damien looks more like a punk rocker than a metal rocker.

And I don't think that their hair or their music made them murder those children.

The state of Arkansas let them out because they served their time. If you read about any other cases, that does happen. Life sometimes does not mean life and many dp cases are changed over to life. WMGuilty are not the only cases I've read about or are interested in.

They looked like most boys that time. Boys were either "preps" or looked like that. They are guilty as sin, as far as I'm concerned. I think the innuendos about Hobbs are silly. I am certain there will never be an exoneration. I think it is all PR.

Let's not be naive here. The length of hair was brought into the conversation by UdbdCrazy2, not by any supporter. Let's take a look at his post...

Udbcrazy2 then proceeds to post photographs of Damien before he was arrested. As you can all see from the photographs, Damien's hair was longer than Terry Hobbs. And so was Jason's and Jessie's wasn't any longer.

So can any of you please explain why Hobbs' hair was found there, while no hairs at all belonging to Jason, Damien or Jessie were ever found?

TIA.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everyoneblooms
Back