Support Thread: Jurors

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I appreciate that they have been placed in an untenable position by doing their civic duty. Their lives will be disrupted and their pasts consumed by the public and they don't deserve that. I also feel that regardless of what one feels about this verdict, any suggestion to silence the other side of the debate is wrong headed and dangerous.

I want to thank the jury for listening to everything through this trial, even paying attention through all of the scientific testimony that even I had a hard time understanding, and coming to a decision that they felt just, even if it was unpopular. I would have hated to be on this jury. They did probably the hardest job of anyone here, set their personal feelings aside and expected hard evidence from the prosecution.

And, if this jury voted with the popular opinion, who's to say that LE and prosecutors in the future wouldn't become more lazy and HOPE that jurors would be won over by emotion, and not evidence. This jury drew the line and said, provide more evidence. I commend them for that!

There's some great stuff being posted on the "For those who agree with the verdict...help me understand" thread though.

thank you for directing me there! i hadn't previously looked at it because i figured it would contain all of the same things other threads in this forum contain.

thank you for directing me there! i hadn't previously looked at it because i figured it would contain all of the same things other threads in this forum contain.

Its not pretty there! Someone just posted the jurors are banned from Chilis restaurant in fla. The resteraunt put a sign up saying "Pinella County jurors not welcome here".. wow wow wow I cant believe it.
It doesnt say CA is not welcome here, it says the JURORS are not welcome here.

I support the jurors' right to privacy and I hope they choose to exercise that right. I am not interested in hearing from any of the jurors so I very much support the jurors who have not spoken out in the media and who will not ever speak to the media or publish any books about their decision.

Thank you for doing jury duty. Wheither I agree with your decision or not..I want to say thanks for being a juror. I believe there will be good things to come from this..i.e. Caylee's Law. Some changes in our justice system. And I am sure other good changes. I can not imagine the difficulties you are having now..and am grateful not to be in your shoes.

I support every juror's right to privacy.
Please get to know Caylee and her beauty. Websleuths is the best site anywhere to get to know details about this case that you were not allowed to hear in trial. Go back to the beginning.

Many here grew to love Caylee and realized that noone in her family did the right things in showing her support after her disappearance...so the folks here have supported her from the moment we found out about her. Wheither it was the families greed..or whatever their motive. Please get to know all the facts here.

http://www.ajc.com/opinion/neal-boortz-anthony-verdict-1006140.html

Back off the rhetoric about the jury. At least these people served. I would suggest that unless you heard every second of testimony and reviewed every item placed in evidence, you were not as prepared to render a verdict as they were. You’re upset? Vent that on the prosecutors who, it seems, over-charged Anthony. Maybe you can write an angry letter to the police who didn’t do a thorough search the first time they were called to the location where Caylee’s body was eventually found.

If you’re ever wrongly accused of a crime you don’t want capable citizens to remember the anger focused on the Casey Anthony jury and say no thanks to their summons. You may need 12 people just like these someday.

You tell 'em!

Oh, and this one too. Excellent.

http://pottstown.patch.com/articles/on-casey-anthony-and-the-justice-system

Instead, the prosecution attempted to hang its hat on circumstantial evidence -- including an ambiguous journal entry and bleeding edge science from the Body Farm -- to try to carry a case they too may have believed to be open and shut. Fortunately for the justice system and our society, brave individuals decided to care more about the facts than what the talking heads and outraged sheep had already decreed. It is a heavy burden to literally hold life or death in one's hand, and these jurors decided that they could not kill based on the facts they were presented.

While Anthony may indeed be guilty, I would rather she be set free to face the universe, God and herself than to let an innocent woman be put to death. I would rather 100 guilty people go free than have an innocent life thrown away.

If the citizens and pundits declare Anthony guilty regardless of what the courts say, then the courts serve no purpose. Let vigilante justice reign supreme.

Lady Justice is portrayed holding scales and a double edged sword. It is the blindfold she wears, however, that is most important to her visage. She sees nothing, relying on the facts and objectivity to mete out punishment that has an unfathomable impact on an individual's life. Grace and her ilk are blind as well; blind to common sense, the Constitution and the very foundation of the American judicial system.

The who, the what, the when, the where and the how were all shaky, despite what all the publicity and published materials might have us believe. Theories "for" and "against" Casey Anthony abound on this forum. Consider how many times you have seen a theory and thought "Wow, that is so spot on!" yet it doesn't agree with what you previously thought. The jury found itself needing to convict on just one theory offered by the prosecution.

If the jury was lazy, dumb, ignorant or interested in financial gain, it would be more logical for them to find her guilty and recommend the death penalty. A parade would have been thrown for them through the streets of Orlando and Mickey Mouse himself would have made them special ambassadors in his own parade. They would have been hailed as Caylee's "heroes." for being smart enough to convicting in five minutes.

Instead, these people found themselves making the hard decision that was not going to be popular, respectful of their duty to their fellow citizens, the state and most of all, Caylee.

The jury deserve to be thanked for their service in this trial. They tried a case which was difficult, both emotionally and mentally, where both sides marshaled a substantial amount of argument and evidence.

They made significant personal sacrifices to give both the Defendant and the State of Florida a fair trial with the intent that it be free from pre-trial prejudice, partiality, or undue influence from the media but be based upon the admissable evidence presented at trial, the arguments of counsel and the law as given by the Judge.

Their sacrifices were vital to ensure a fair trial in accordance with the law of Florida, which is based upon the law and customs used to try serious criminal cases worldwide, in those countries which use a common law legal system. This is widely considered to be one of the best and certainly is one of the most tried and tested systems of justice which has stood the test of time, being in use for centuries worldwide.

The jury seemed to have listened to the evidence, arguments and law and done their level best to arrive at a fair and just verdict based upon the facts and law whilst hold the prosecution to their burden of proof, which, as always, is Beyond and to the Exclusion of Reasonable Doubt.

The juror interviews thus far indicate that they realised that this case had the potential to be emotional but set aside those emotions and looked at the facts and evidence. They reached a verdict which some were uncomfortable with but was fair and in accordance with the felt: they did not have unwavering conviction of the Defendant's guilt as to to her guilt on the three main counts. They realised that it was simply insufficient that they may have felt the KC "might have" or even "probably" killed her daughter.

The jury seems to have convicted Casey Anthony of those crimes where they find the prosecution had proved their case beyond a reasonable doubt and acquitted her of the ones where she had not. This was not a case where they gave a straight-acquittal or straight conviction, without reference to the evidence and law.

In short this jury should be thanked for their service; a service which is necessary to ensure that individuals are ensured their right to trial by jury, a right which is recognized, to some extent, throughout almost all common law countries world wide.

Their is no basis to criticise this jury and the criticism I have seen so far is unfounded and in some instances relies upon wild and absurd speculation.

I had been meaning to post on this thread earlier but never got round to it. However, I earlier took got into an exchange with another poster an another thread when I took issue with their baseless criticism of this jury and their verdict. I think this extract from my post sums up the position nicely:

"TBH, I am only stating my opinion on matters which I find really wrong: In particular criticizing a jury who took 6 weeks out of their lives in order to do their civic duty and for what? $1200 to $1300, a load of criticism, shunning from their community, hate-filled commentary and indeed, in some instances threats of violence (ref: Judge Perry "fillet comments").

I am not aware of any post threatening violence against any of the jurors on this forum,any such post I am sure would be promptly removed, but the the insults being levelled against the jurors on this forum, especially in the jurors thread, are outrageous and absurd.

This jury did not ask to be on the jury, they were called by summons. They did their civic duty for no to little reward. Publicity? Perhaps, but at least one juror has stated that he doesn't want his name released but just to protect his family. Although, I would not blame the jurors if they accept one of the media deals being offered. In any event, they are entitled to be left alone and get on without baseless criticism."

I like to thank the Jury for taking time out of their lives to make a decision based on the evidence and information in front of them. I believe 100 percent in the court system. I wish people would leave the Jury alone. I am so tired of name calling. Its childish and wrong. I am sad for them. Each made their choice, state and defendants had there time to show what happen. Case closed. It is was it is! Goodluck to the Jury!

RULES FOR DELIBERATION

These are some general rules that apply to your discussion. You must follow these rules in order to return a lawful verdict:

1. You must follow the law as it is set out in these instructions. If you fail to follow the law, your verdict will be a miscarriage of justice. There is no reason for failing

to follow the law in this case. All of us are depending upon you to make a wise and legal decision in this matter.

2. This case must be decided only upon the evidence that you have heard from the testimony of the witnesses and have seen in the form of the exhibits in evidence and these instructions.

3. This case must not be decided for or against anyone because you feel sorry for anyone, or are angry at anyone.

4. Remember, the lawyers are not on trial. Your feelings about them should not influence your decision in this case.

5. Your duty is to determine if the defendant has been proven guilty or not, in accord with the law.

6. Whatever verdict you render must be unanimous, that is, each juror must agree to the same verdict.

7. It is entirely proper for a lawyer to talk to a witness about what testimony the witness would give if called to the courtroom. The witness should not be discredited by talking to a lawyer about his or her testimony.

8. Your verdict should not be influenced by feelings of prejudice, bias or sympathy.

Your verdict must be based on the evidence, and on the law contained in thes instructions.

PLEA OF NOT GUILTY; REASONABLE DOUBT; AND BURDEN OF PROOF

The defendant has entered a plea of not guilty. This means you must presume or believe the defendant is innocent. The presumption stays with the defendant as to each material allegation in the indictment through each stage of the trial unless it has been overcome by the evidence to the exclusion of and beyond a reasonable doubt.

To overcome the defendant's presumption of innocence, the State has the burden of proving the crime with which the defendant is charged was committed and the defendant is the person who committed the crime.

The defendant is not required to present evidence or prove anything.

Whenever the words "reasonable doubt" are used you must consider the following:

A reasonable doubt is not a mere possible doubt, a speculative, imaginary or forced doubt.

Such a doubt must not influence you to return a verdict of not guilty if you have an abiding conviction of guilt. On the other hand, if, after carefully considering, comparing and weighing all the evidence, there is not an abiding conviction of guilt, or, if, having a conviction, it is one which is not stable but one which wavers and vacillates, then the charge is not proved beyond every reasonable doubt and you must find the defendant not guilty because the doubt is reasonable.

It is to the evidence introduced in this trial, and to it alone, that you are to look for that proof.

A reasonable doubt as to the guilt of the defendant may arise from the evidence, conflict in the evidence or the lack of evidence.

If you have a reasonable doubt, you should find the defendant not guilty. If you have no reasonable doubt, you should find the defendant guilty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

let's apply this test to the testimony and evidence:

State asserts that someday in mid-June of 2008, Casey Anthony intentionally chloroformed her daughter and duct taped her mouth and nose to kill her.

Stop there for a second...because if this assertion cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt there is no need for the jury to deliberate further.

What is the proof that she chloroformed her daughter? there was scientific testimony both to the presence and lack of presence of cholorform. There was testimony to 84 searches, and only 1 search. conflict in the evidence = reasonable doubt according to the jury instructions.

What is the proof that Caylee's mouth and nose were duct-taped pre-mortem and that this caused or contributed to her death? none, aside from the statement that "there is no reason to duct tape a child's mouth and nose alive or dead". Is this evidence though? read above: lack of evidence = reasonable doubt per jury instruction.

Even if a juror were to get by that one, what is the proof that Casey duct taped Caylee's mouth and nose and someone else did not? none.

There is really no need for the jury to beyond this. If you cannot overcome "the State has the burden of proving the crime with which the defendant is charged was committed and the defendant is the person who committed the crime." as a juror...that's it - not guilty.

I think these jurors approached their job responsibly and professionally, without emotion or consideration of anything not presented in evidence or testified to.

If they could not get past the hurdle I mentioned, there is no need to review testimony, or look at evidence - what's the point?

GREAT POST! Totally agree!

Its not pretty there! Someone just posted the jurors are banned from Chilis restaurant in fla. The resteraunt put a sign up saying "Pinella County jurors not welcome here".. wow wow wow I cant believe it.
It doesnt say CA is not welcome here, it says the JURORS are not welcome here.

Just a minor point so that we are not being unfair to anyone else here.....the restaurant was NOT a Chili's franchise at all....it was a small, little known fast food place that serves varieties of chili apparently. I had never heard of it before and when I googled to find out, it appeared to be a somewhat limited area newer entity. I would put their name on here, but have already forgotten it and don't think they deserve any publicity for such shameful behavior anyway.

jmo

I am amazed (still) at the animosity which continues to be directed towards this jury. Perhaps it will take a bit longer for folks to step back and take an honest look at the case, the evidence, and the burden of proof.

IMO, assertions that the circumstantial evidence in this case was compelling and obvious enough for a conviction are based soley on the circumstantial evidence which tended to favor the State's case. There was also circumstantial evidence which contradicted the State's case, but it appears some would have the jury disregard this?

Fortuneately, there are more and more rational and seasoned voices in the media speaking out on behalf of this jury.

Here's Scott Simon's (NPR) pro-jury take:

Juries don't see the same court case that we think we do. The cameras keep burning, and digital media sites keep chattering while judges send juries out of the courtroom during lawyerly arguments. Juries miss the cavalcade of courtside courtroom pundits. And, juries have sober, even sacred responsibilities. They can't just say, "I'm sure what happened." They take an oath to apply the law. They have the fate of human beings in their hands.

[LINK]

and Clarence Page from the Chicago Tribune:

Cases like this make it hard to stomach a system that would rather let the guilty go free than risk convicting the innocent. But it beats the alternative.

[LINK]

Good editorial here too from Balt Sun:

This case should be a lesson for all prosecutors. Sanctimony should not replace common sense, and prejudice and zealotry should not supplant the need for evidence...
When juries are told to honor the law in court, then blamed for not delivering justice, the critics should ask themselves: "How often are the law and justice synonymous?"

[LINK]

Professional polling on the Casey Anthony jury verdicts paints a slightly different picture than "National Outrage". I would guess that most Americans are NOT familiar with all of the evidence and testimony, but IMO as the days and weeks go by, more thoughtful reflection and commentary on the evidence, testimony, and jury instructions will prevail. Its a perfect opportunity to educate on the U.S. justice system.

InsiderAdvantage: The survey polled 1,566 adults, for a margin of error of plus or minus 2.8 percent. Poll data have been weighted for age, race and gender. 56% disagree with Anthony verdict.

only 56% disagree?

USA TODAY/Gallup Poll: according to the poll of 1,010 adults Wednesday night....Women were more than twice as likely as men, 28% vs. 11%, to think Anthony definitely murdered 2-year-old Caylee. Twenty-seven percent of women said they were angry about the verdict, compared with 9% of men.

only appx 20% think she "definitely" murdered Caylee?

that leaves 80% who think either she "probably" murdered Caylee, are not sure, or think she didn't...etc...all of which fall into the "reasonable doubt" category.

Well-put. I was lying in bed last night thinking about all this stuff
and that thought occurred to me. "What a way to show you care."

Yep, in honor of a child they claim to love and want to see justice, they are willing to kill who didn't agree with them. At that point, Casey Anthony becomes more sane than any of them fighting for her child. It really is quite sick.

I just saw that there are actual hate pages for Jennifer Ford and Russell Huekler on Facebook! Really??? Is that what our society has become? It sickens me to think that people can be so cruel and heartless. These are average people who were selected to perform their civic duty and no matter what we think of the outcome we have no right to humiliate them for their decision. We can disagree with their decision but to attack them is disgraceful.

The best part is that this is supposedly coming from people who want justice for Caylee and who care about Caylee; well I'm sure Caylee is proud now.
I think we've all seen a lot of anger directed at a lot of different people since the verdict was announced, but frankly, I'm shocked by the level of it that's been directed towards this jury.

I'm shocked by the accusations that have been leveled at the jurors (that they voted guilty because they would make more money that way?!) Honestly some of it borders on conspiracy theory madness (imo).

If you're angry, that's okay. I could go into a lot of things about it, but this isn't the right thread for that... so I'll just say this:

-put your energy into something that'll do some good.

A lot of people are working on Caylee's law. Some people are looking into revamping jury education/laws. See what fits your needs and do something positive. Hatred isn't the answer. It just eats you up inside and leaves holes where there should be good stuff instead. (-as said by my migraine brain which don't think so good)

Okay you guys - I have had it. I have unapproved more posts in this thread than any other thread I've read and this one is only 3 pages long.

I have explained this over and over - this is the LAST TIME!

ANYONE ELSE THAT POSTS NEGATIVE COMMENTARY IN THIS THREAD WILL BE RECOMMENDED FOR A 48 HOUR TIME OUT - NO EXCUSES, NO APOLOGIES.

Enough is enough. STOP. Think before you post. This is a support thread.

IF YOU CAN'T SUPPORT - THEN DON'T POST IN THIS THREAD
reminder

Its getting harder and harder for me to continue reading people posting about the jury being stupid and lazy. I find that arrogant beyond belief. If KC was found guilty, the same people would be jumping up and down thanking the jury..
I feel really bad these jurors got wrapped up in this and have to be harassed like this..they didnt ask for it..they were chosen..

I 100% agree with you. From watching several different interviews with Juror #3, she appeared to me to be extremely intelligent, thoughtful, rational, and meticulous as to how she came to her conclusion. God forbid, but if something horrible were to happen to me and I ended up in court charged with a serious crime, I would want someone impartial like her to review the provided evidence.

It really makes me angry to see people like Nancy Grace calling the jury "cooky" and to see posters in the forums saying that they are stupid and unintelligent. I think making decisions on emotional impulse is dangerous and to have the kind of reserve that she showed spoke volumes to me (I believe at one point in the ABC interview, she talked of jurors crying afterward because while they were emotional concerning what they felt, they had to apply the law as to what they were given in court to reach their verdict.)

I really believe that they did their job well and that they made the correct decision.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand
Back