Supreme Court Nominee

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Should a person be judged on something done over 40 years ago?

• Yes

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Depends

Votes: 75 49.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mickey2942

Reaction score
Brett Kavanaugh is a nominee for the Supreme Court. Aside from his political views, should he be judged for a possible one time situation in high school?

Women have reported that Mr. Kavanaugh has never acted inappropriately to them.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxn...exually-assaulted-her-it-derailed-me.amp.html

Sexual assault should be taken seriously, but this was never reported to school or law Enforcement. The men involved, have denied the allegations.

Could your life be so good that you could be scrutinized for every possible act in the last 50 years?

If it was the ONLY blemish on his record, maybe not. However this is not a librarian position. This is a HUGE, lifetime appointment. Quite frankly I don't even think it should happen now.

However, given that this is one of several issues that have been raised and given that she willingly took a polygraph, I think that says something.

I'm a huge advocate for the wrongly accused and one of the things we often wish is that the accuser WOULD submit to a polygraph, though our guy is always willing to do so as well. (The accuser isn't ever willing in our cases.)

If it was the ONLY blemish on his record, maybe not. However this is not a librarian position. This is a HUGE, lifetime appointment. Quite frankly I don't even think it should happen now.

However, given that this is one of several issues that have been raised and given that she willingly took a polygraph, I think that says something.

I'm a huge advocate for the wrongly accused and one of the things we often wish is that the accuser WOULD submit to a polygraph, though our guy is always willing to do so as well. (The accuser isn't ever willing in our cases.)
I'm not a fan of anyone who could and may want to take away my rights to my uterus. I'm biased.

For goodness sakes, this is the highest court in our land. I believe the justices should have as clean a record as possible. How can a man or woman fairly adjudicate a case if they themselves have committed the same offense? In this case, I think of the football players in Ohio or the drunk young man who raped a woman in CA. We can't know everything but it is of course concerning that rather than taking responsibility for youthful indiscretions. Same as some politicians who had done stupid and awful things when they were younger and reacted first to deny, deny, deny.

I have strong feelings about my right over my body so that biases me to this choice on that basis alone.

But what upsets me about this confirmation is the rush, lack of transparency, and politization of the process.

There is a reckoning happening in this country right now, and while I don't believe any woman of any maturity would come forward and subject herself to public humiliation, or re traumatize herself for the sake of a political bent, I believe both sides need to be heard. Everyone standing up for Kavanaugh counts as well.

If the denial is a lie, that's a disqualifier. Even if there is doubt, this accusation casts that shadow. I certainly remember that far back, no problem, so this shouldn't be too difficult to investigate as there were more than several people at this party. I think the FBI should investigate.

Our justices are human and fallible. Anita Hill's testimony and credibility effected huge change. I believe there is a larger picture beyond the outcome of this one confirmation which ever way it goes.

Jmo

Last edited:
Legally, Kavanaugh is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. But a Supreme Court nomination isn’t a criminal trial, and an explosive allegation of this nature should instantly derail the confirmation process of a being chosen to preside over the highest court in the country, one that will have enormous power over women’s bodies and their fundamental rights.​

Are Republicans Really Going to Nominate
an Accused Rapist to Overturn Roe?

Brett Kavanaugh is a nominee for the Supreme Court. Aside from his political views, should he be judged for a possible one time situation in high school?

Women have reported that Mr. Kavanaugh has never acted inappropriately to them.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxn...exually-assaulted-her-it-derailed-me.amp.html

Sexual assault should be taken seriously, but this was never reported to school or law Enforcement. The men involved, have denied the allegations.

Could your life be so good that you could be scrutinized for every possible act in the last 50 years?

This part is so ridiculous. I shouldn't be surprised they think a list of women saying "But he never attacked me" somehow proves something.

Interesting.

I would not judge anyone until listening to both sides of the story. But I may be biased, as I was once falsely accused of a very inappropriate activity, it was a blatant lie, that could have cost me my professional credentials that I had worked years to get. I was fortunate that the allegations were not considered credible.

I'm not a fan of anyone who could and may want to take away my rights to my uterus. I'm biased.

Yes I count this among the other blemishes on his record. I don't the nomination should even be occurring to begin with under all the other circumstances. However, I think this should be the final nail in the coffin.

This part is so ridiculous. I shouldn't be surprised they think a list of women saying "But he never attacked me" somehow proves something.

I think it proves something. It proves they had that letter ready to go because they knew this allegation was out there. 65 women signed this thing overnight? Right.

Then when contacted only 2 of them were still willing to support him after the allegation came out? That doesn't sound like terribly strong support to me.

Interesting.

I would not judge anyone until listening to both sides of the story. But I may be biased, as I was once falsely accused of a very inappropriate activity, it was a blatant lie, that could have cost me my professional credentials that I had worked years to get. I was fortunate that the allegations were not considered credible.

You are very fortunate! I've seen many people who still had to fight for years to clear their name even with outrageous allegations.

I am also biased because I work with a defense attorney who defense primarily those falsely accused, primarily for free.

I would never judge whether the man is guilty or innocent. I simply believe that since he's already been proven to be a liar, he should not be holding the highest judicial position in our land. I felt that way before the allegation was made, it only strengthened my feeling.

I think it proves something. It proves they had that letter ready to go because they knew this allegation was out there. 65 women signed this thing overnight? Right.

Then when contacted only 2 of them were still willing to support him after the allegation came out? That doesn't sound like terribly strong support to me.

rsbm
It sure proves that, you are right. It was just sitting there waiting to go, and rather than bring forward what they knew they just sat on it, hoping to get lucky.

Legally, Kavanaugh is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. But a Supreme Court nomination isn’t a criminal trial, and an explosive allegation of this nature should instantly derail the confirmation process of a being chosen to preside over the highest court in the country, one that will have enormous power over women’s bodies and their fundamental rights.​

Are Republicans Really Going to Nominate
an Accused Rapist to Overturn Roe?

They should be sued for slander, there was no rape.

Snip
Ford said she does not remember how the gathering came together the night of the incident.

Snip

She also doesn’t recall who owned the house or how she got there.

Snip

At one point, she said, Judge jumped on top of them, and she tried unsuccessfully to wriggle free. Then Judge jumped on them again, toppling them, and she broke away, she said.

She said she locked herself in the bathroom and listened until she heard the boys “going down the stairs, hitting the walls.” She said that after five or 10 minutes, she unlocked the door and made her way through the living room and outside. She isn’t sure how she got home.

“My biggest fear was, do I look like someone just attacked me?” she said. She said she recalled thinking: “I’m not ever telling anyone this. This is nothing, it didn’t happen, and he didn’t rape me.”

I selected, it depends.
If he would have been accused 40 years ago, then absolutely we should listen to it. Even if it was just a report and nothing was done with it. But that is not what has happened. This lady has come forward making a claim that cannot be proven. I could make the same claim about any male that I went to high school with. What is to stop me. How do you prove I am speaking the truth or not. That is why there are statutes of limitations on crimes as well.

I realize that this is for a Supreme court nominee; however, he is still an American citizen that should be treated as such.
He has worked with a lot of woman over the years and if her were the type, I would think they would come out of the woodwork.
The accuser didn't mention it until six years ago and never mentioned him by name. Also, according to the therapist, she said there were four. She said that was wrong on the therapists side and that only two were in the room. Just too many what ifs for me.
Kavanaugh Accuser Goes Public With Assault Allegations In WaPo Interview

Parents and Grandparents should think long and hard if this is how we would want our sons to be treated in the future. Should a woman/girl be believed automatically and all of our boys automatically judged as guilty? I think not.

Last edited:
MamaTiger, do you have a link that she didn't remember who it was four years ago?
Sorry. I edited. It was six years not four, and after searching it seems that she just didn't mention the names. (I swear I heard or read she didn't remember, but I don't know where). I modified my post and added a link to one searched report.

I selected, it depends.
If he would have been accused 40 years ago, then absolutely we should listen to it. Even if it was just a report and nothing was done with it. But that is not what has happened. This lady has come forward making a claim that cannot be proven. I could make the same claim about any male that I went to high school with. What is to stop me. How do you prove I am speaking the truth or not. That is why there are statutes of limitations on crimes as well.

I realize that this is for a Supreme court nominee; however, he is still an American citizen that should be treated as such.
He has worked with a lot of woman over the years and if her were the type, I would think they would come out of the woodwork.
The accuser didn't mention it until six years ago and never mentioned him by name. Also, according to the therapist, she said there were four. She said that was wrong on the therapists side and that only two were in the room. Just too many what ifs for me.
Kavanaugh Accuser Goes Public With Assault Allegations In WaPo Interview

Parents and Grandparents should think long and hard if this is how we would want our sons to be treated in the future. Should a woman/girl be believed automatically and all of our boys automatically judged as guilty? I think not.

He doesn't respect women's rights. Not raping most women, he has been around in the last 30 0r 40 years, is a low, low bar.

Sorry. I edited. It was six years not four, and after searching it seems that she just didn't mention the names. (I swear I heard or read she didn't remember, but I don't know where). I modified my post and added a link to one searched report.
You're fine. Just checking in case I had missed some information along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btc121296