Ted Kennedy

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The man is dying. This happened about 40 years ago, people need to let it go...
Do you think that time has healed the wounds for Mary Jo's family? Her death was preventable. That's why it is hard to just 'let it go.'

Hi South:blowkiss:

I agree, he is an alcoholic. It runs in my family and I certainly know about blackouts and bad decisions. The difference between you and him is that you did something about it. That is part of making amends in itself. I have never heard that he has ever attempted to do so. He routinrey gets out of the consequences of that impaired behavior because of "who" he is and the people around him engineer his passes out of jail. That is wrong. That he has lived his life that way speaks to his character. I would never compare you to him and my sympathy runs to addicts of all kinds, believe me. But with his resources, there is no excuse for not cleaning up his act.

Great seeing your pic in "Who's who!"

xoxo
Eve

Hiya Eve!:blowkiss:

You know, better men and women than Kennedy haven't been able to get a grip on addiction, so I don't know that he and I are all that different. (except I'm cuter! :)) I consider myself lucky/blessed by grace when it comes to the addiction subject - my luck in that regard has very little to do with me, except for one minute in my life I was open-minded to try something new and it stuck. And hell - even openmindedness comes from God.

I do think that Kennedy, like many politicians, has used his influence to avoid consequences. I don't like that, of course, and I would like to think that I wouldn't behave that way if I enjoyed such influence. It is always hard to see people treated differntly or favorably because of who they are and what strings they can pull. But in the end, I don't know that such treatment really wins them any favors.

To me - he is an example of the tragic hero - born at the right time with the right stuff, but - OOPS - there are those feet of clay.

The horrible deception was the time he took to call for help after it all happened. To protect his career. Typical of a narcissist male politician.

Well he never called for help. He told two friends and they didn't call for help either.

The car was discovered in the water the next day 8-10 hours later and reported to the police. Ted was back on the island at that time, hopped back on the ferry & only then presented himself at the police station to inform them he was the driver.

Hiya Eve!:blowkiss:

You know, better men and women than Kennedy haven't been able to get a grip on addiction, so I don't know that he and I are all that different. (except I'm cuter! :)) I consider myself lucky/blessed by grace when it comes to the addiction subject - my luck in that regard has very little to do with me, except for one minute in my life I was open-minded to try something new and it stuck. And hell - even openmindedness comes from God.

I do think that Kennedy, like many politicians, has used his influence to avoid consequences. I don't like that, of course, and I would like to think that I wouldn't behave that way if I enjoyed such influence. It is always hard to see people treated differntly or favorably because of who they are and what strings they can pull. But in the end, I don't know that such treatment really wins them any favors.

To me - he is an example of the tragic hero - born at the right time with the right stuff, but - OOPS - there are those feet of clay.

I see that POV, South. In some ways I have more contempt for those who have allowed him to avoid the consequences, because as you point out, perhaps it is true that he could not (or simply did not) receive or accept the grace or light bulb moment that you and many others did. I still am disgusted by his repeatedly going down the same path over and over. If it were just MaryJo, I believe some of us could "let it go" as a poster suggested. But it is a lifelong pattern of avoiding the rules the rest of us are to live by, with him and much of his family. At the expense of others -and all the while, the perpetrators of the wrongdoing are cloaked in "public service" and a "do-good," "compassionate" posture.

Eve

I see that POV, South. In some ways I have more contempt for those who have allowed him to avoid the consequences, because as you point out, perhaps it is true that he could not (or simply did not) receive or accept the grace or light bulb moment that you and many others did. I still am disgusted by his repeatedly going down the same path over and over. If it were just MaryJo, I believe some of us could "let it go" as a poster suggested. But it is a lifelong pattern of avoiding the rules the rest of us are to live by, with him and much of his family. At the expense of others -and all the while, the perpetrators of the wrongdoing are cloaked in "public service."

Eve

You are absolutely right, of course. I always think of that challenge - "To him who much is given, much is required." I too want our leaders to meet that standard. I just don't always see a lot of that happening. Politics which should be about public service has denigrated into something of a cesspool. Not all politicians, of course, but I think it's that whole power corrupts thing. People often just don't know what to do with power except serve their own lame a$$es!

It's an interesting story, if you want to take the time to read about it..I was surprised by some of the people who supported him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tookie

Thanks so much, absinthe. That's an incredibly heartening story! I think many prisoners would jump at the opportunity to be of service if given viable ways to do that.

I think if people would become more aware of what he has done in his lifetime by listening to others in Washington D.C. who truly know, you will see that he has done a great job. Across the board...they give him many accolades for his distinguished career. By trashing him because of Mary Jo, you are saying the things he did afterwards do not matter. They do matter. I don't know of many prisoners who would be willing to take on his role and work as hard as Ted Kennedy has his entire life. He has been privledged, but he earned the respect he has today.

This isn't a Republican or Democrat issue or agenda here. A man is dying of cancer and we should have some respect. Cancer is caused by many things and "payment of sins" is NOT one of them.

I think if people would become more aware of what he has done in his lifetime by listening to others in Washington D.C. who truly know, you will see that he has done a great job. Across the board...they give him many accolades for his distinguished career. By trashing him because of Mary Jo, you are saying the things he did afterwards do not matter. They do matter.

By all means list his accomplishments and explain how they excuse his criminal , unethical, & immoral acts.

Are you saying if he'd done even more in DC, received a few more accolades, he could've slaughtered Mary Jo's entire family?

I don't know of many prisoners who would be willing to take on his role and work as hard as Ted Kennedy has his entire life. He has been privledged, but he earned the respect he has today.

This isn't a Republican or Democrat issue or agenda here. A man is dying of cancer and we should have some respect. Cancer is caused by many things and "payment of sins" is NOT one of them.

Bad things happen to good people...and to bad people...He's had his life to make amends for the wrong he's done & thus far has declined to do so. Because he's privileged he was able to do so. A tumor does not improve his character.

Do you think that time has healed the wounds for Mary Jo's family? Her death was preventable. That's why it is hard to just 'let it go.'

Preventable yes, murder one, no. I could maybe involuntary manslaughter. I don't think for a minute he wanted her dead.

I think if people would become more aware of what he has done in his lifetime by listening to others in Washington D.C. who truly know, you will see that he has done a great job. Across the board...they give him many accolades for his distinguished career. By trashing him because of Mary Jo, you are saying the things he did afterwards do not matter. They do matter. I don't know of many prisoners who would be willing to take on his role and work as hard as Ted Kennedy has his entire life. He has been privledged, but he earned the respect he has today.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Preventable yes, murder one, no. I could maybe involuntary manslaughter. I don't think for a minute he wanted her dead.
Therein lies the mystery; at least, one of the mysteries. Remember, the rumors that she was pregnant...

By all means list his accomplishments and explain how they excuse his criminal , unethical, & immoral acts.

Are you saying if he'd done even more in DC, received a few more accolades, he could've slaughtered Mary Jo's entire family?

Bad things happen to good people...and to bad people...He's had his life to make amends for the wrong he's done & thus far has declined to do so. Because he's privileged he was able to do so. A tumor does not improve his character.
He's not Patsy Ramsey, she was a criminal who died of cancer IMO!

Okay, since my thread wasn't allowed on the PP, then who do you all think should fill Ted's Senate seat, and when should he step down?

Okay, since my thread wasn't allowed on the PP, then who do you all think should fill Ted's Senate seat, and when should he step down?

Good question. Somehow, I don't think he will step down immediately. We can only hope that if he is unable to speak and reason that he will do so. I have heard anywhere from a year to five years as a survival rate. We can be certain that all medical knowledge will be used to keep him alive.

I am sure you will find many Republicans to support your stance on the issue.

Why? because he killed someone else's child, instead of his own?

No, I already said I don't think it was murder one, I think at best it was involuntary manslaughter. I don't think Ted wanted her dead. I think it was a tragic accident in which he used very poor judgement and was probably impaired by alcohol. This man should not be hounded until he dies! He has accomplished a lot of great things in his political life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bleausky
Back