Ted Kennedy

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We could take a look at some of the terrific things he has had a hand in accomplishing in his legislative career:

"the Civil Rights Act of 1964, for which he delivered his maiden Senate speech; the Voting Rights Act of 1965; the expansion of the voting franchise to 18-year-olds; the $24 billion Kennedy-Hatch law of 1997, which provided health insurance to children with a new tax on tobacco; two increases in the minimum wage; the Kennedy-Kassebaum bill, which made health insurance portable for workers; the 1988 law that allocated $1.2 billion for AIDS testing, treatment and research; the 1990 Americans With Disabilities Act; the 1993 Family and Medical Leave Act; and last year's 1,200-page education reform act, which he negotiated directly with President Bush and his staff.

Kennedy has also helped abolish the poll tax, liberalize immigration laws, fund cancer research and create the Meals on Wheels program for shut-ins and the elderly. In 1985 Kennedy and Republican Lowell Weicker co-sponsored the legislation that imposed economic sanctions on the apartheid government of South Africa. The bill became law despite opposition from Bob Dole, a filibuster by Jesse Helms and a veto by President Reagan. Only Kennedy could have mustered the votes to override by 78 to 21 a veto from Reagan at the height of his power."

more at link http://www.talkleft.com/story/2008/5/20/143847/854

I understand that this list may excite Dems more the Repubs, but some of it should touch all of us! He really has led an amazing life. I did not know that he helped create Meals on Wheels. My Dad was heavily involved in that program with our church when I was younger.

How many lives do these actions of his justify his taking?

How many lives do these actions of his justify his taking?

Doing good works doesn't justify any of our misdeeds. But a person is more than his worst moments just as he is less than his best ones. Ted Kennedy will always bear the stain of Chappaquiddick whenever his name is raised. Fortunately for us all, this does not erase the positive legacy he leaves behind.

We may forever think poorly of him for the loss of life that occurred when he drove drunk and ran away from a drowning woman, but present and future Americans will benefit directly from Meals on Wheels, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, etc... It is wonderful that a person who made poor choices was also able to make some good ones.

Doing good works doesn't justify any of our misdeeds. But a person is more than his worst moments just as he is less than his best ones. Ted Kennedy will always bear the stain of Chappaquiddick whenever his name is raised. Fortunately for us all, this does not erase the positive legacy he leaves behind.

We may forever think poorly of him for the loss of life that occurred when he drove drunk and ran away from a drowning woman, but present and future Americans will benefit directly from Meals on Wheels, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, etc... It is wonderful that a person who made poor choices was also able to make some good ones.
Thank-you South City, you deserve a standing ovation for this post!:clap::clap::clap:

Exactly and thank you! :clap: For his actions the night Mary Jo died, he's being punished now ~ this isn't going to be an easy death and he may be here for weeks or months, the cancer may be controlled but it won't go away.

Exactly and thank you! :clap: For his actions the night Mary Jo died, he's being punished now ~ this isn't going to be an easy death and he may be here for weeks or months, the cancer may be controlled but it won't go away.
I do not believe that. Others have said, "what was the 2 yr old child who died a painful death, being punished for"? Everybody has to die sometime, of something. It is just nature.. not punishment.

I do not believe that. Others have said, "what was the 2 yr old child who died a painful death, being punished for"? Everybody has to die sometime, of something. It is just nature.. not punishment.

I agree sadly so but I agree.

You're very correct but for those who wished he'd been punished for the death of Mary Jo, I made the comment he's getting it now. I didn't mean it generically. :)

You're very correct but for those who wished he'd been punished for the death of Mary Jo, I made the comment he's getting it now. I didn't mean it generically. :)
Maybe after his death he will be punished? meh.. who can tell. I might not be understanding you. :crazy:

I do wish he had been punished way back for his part in Mary Jo's death. Hardly means anything now, since he has lived a full life with wealth and power, uncontested Senate seat. I can't fathom how that happened... how people voted for him after all of that. Mustve been the family name... the emotions of Camelot, etc.

I am very sad for his family, and those that love him. Caroline, especially. Her mother raised a class act, IMO.

But it is tough to feel sorry for an old man who did what he did that night, so many years ago. This is not even remotely political for me.

Panthera, this post isn't directed at you...There are some very cruel posters on this thread who enjoy kicking him while he's down. The man may be dead within a year, he's got a very aggressive form of cancer, we need to let Chappaquidick go- it happened 40 years ago, and I don't need to research it, I was alive and remember it happening, and let him die in peace and with grace. He has been a good and effective legislator. To compare him to a beauty queen is ridiculous. I got so angry this afternoon, I considered leaving WS for a very long time, but decided I needed to see what had happened while I was gone.

I follow your reasoning, but I do not think any amount of suffering he has endured (and I believe he has endured many heartbreaking tragedies) or will endure as a result of this brain tumor will be enough for some of us.

Wonderful post southcitymom!:clap::clap::clap:

Thank you, SCM! You are a class act. :) I appreciate you bringing his good deeds to the forefront. (As they should be right now.)

Panthera, this post isn't directed at you...There are some very cruel posters on this thread who enjoy kicking him while he's down. The man may be dead within a year, he's got a very aggressive form of cancer, we need to let Chappaquidick go- it happened 40 years ago, and I don't need to research it, I was alive and remember it happening, and let him die in peace and with grace. He has been a good and effective legislator. To compare him to a beauty queen is ridiculous. I got so angry this afternoon, I considered leaving WS for a very long time, but decided I needed to see what had happened while I was gone.

LinasK,

I am sorry you feel so upset about this. But I have to chime in and say that I do not think most posters are being cruel in their comments about the Kopechne and other public incidents in TK's life. He is a public figure. Most of us do not know him personally. People will always review a public figure's life -misdeeds and contributions, when they die (or are dying). It's human nature. The press is full of glowing comments about Ted right now. His accomplishments will be well noted, believe me. He has been stricken with cancer and I for one, don't wish that on anyone. He will meet his maker, like we all do. His family loves him as they should. Being a good and effective legislator is part of his life. But so is his lifelong pattern of selfish disregard and abuse of power, imo. One such incident led to young woman's death. I think maybe it could be said to be cruel to her memory and family to ignore that. The discussion revolves around a public figure and how he lived his life - of course people will hash out the good, bad and ugly. This isn't a memorial thread.

Please don't leave WS. We can all learn to agree to disagree on some matters.

Eve

LinasK,

I am sorry you feel so upset about this. But I have to chime in and say that I do not think most posters are being cruel in their comments about the Kopechne and other public incidents in TK's life. He is a public figure. Most of us do not know him personally. People will always review a public figure's life -misdeeds and contributions, when they die (or are dying). It's human nature. The press is full of glowing comments about Ted right now. His accomplishments will be well noted, believe me. He has been stricken with cancer and I for one, don't wish that on anyone. He will meet his maker, like we all do. His family loves him as they should. Being a good and effective legislator is part of his life. But so is his lifelong pattern of selfish disregard and abuse of power, imo. One such incident led to young woman's death. I think maybe it could be said to be cruel to her memory and family to ignore that. The discussion revolves around a public figure and how he lived his life - of course people will hash out the good, bad and ugly. This isn't a memorial thread.

Please don't leave WS. We can all learn to agree to disagree on some matters.

Eve

And why should someone who has a record of being a scoundrel be exalted to a God-like status just because they're dying?!!
You get a disease and all of the bad stuff is forgotten?
Please! :rolleyes: I could never be that phoney.
Cancer does not excuse all of his faults.
And I'll not glorify him because he is ill.

If I didn't like ya while you were alive and well, I'm not going to like ya when you're dead or dying.

Cold, I know, but I'm real.
I have no time for all of that blowing fake sunshine stuff. It is what it is.

Ted Kennedy has lived a long and prosperous life. I don't believe that he's being "repaid for his sins." He just so happens to be be ill. It happens even to the best of people, unfortunately.

I know that Ted Kennedy is very loved by his family and many of his colleagues. He must definitely be loved by his state as they have re-elected him to office "upteen" times. So, he's done something right.

If he is human at all, he will have thought about what he did that night to Mary Jo. I personally don't know if it were an accident or if it were planned. If an autopsy had been done and it proven that she wasn't pregnant, then, I would opt for accident. However, there is that doubt in my mind.

What if they were having an affair? What if she were pregnant and they left the party to "discuss" it? An out-of-wedlock pregnancy would have been a gigantic scandal for Ted and probably a bigger nail in his coffin than Mary Jo's unfortunate demise.

Maybe after his death he will be punished? meh.. who can tell. I might not be understanding you. :crazy:

I do wish he had been punished way back for his part in Mary Jo's death. Hardly means anything now, since he has lived a full life with wealth and power, uncontested Senate seat. I can't fathom how that happened... how people voted for him after all of that. Mustve been the family name... the emotions of Camelot, etc.

I am very sad for his family, and those that love him. Caroline, especially. Her mother raised a class act, IMO.

But it is tough to feel sorry for an old man who did what he did that night, so many years ago. This is not even remotely political for me.
Exaclty!!

:(
The man is dying. This happened about 40 years ago, people need to let it go...
Sadly I dont think that her Family would be able to do this. I am sure the past 40 years have been hell for the ones who loved her, 40 holidays she has not been with them, 40 birthdays, christmas, Thanksgiving ect...Very sad, cant let it go that easy. I do not wish TK to die a horrible death such as this, I am a human who has alot of compassion.

Panthera, this post isn't directed at you...There are some very cruel posters on this thread who enjoy kicking him while he's down. The man may be dead within a year, he's got a very aggressive form of cancer, we need to let Chappaquidick go- it happened 40 years ago, and I don't need to research it, I was alive and remember it happening, and let him die in peace and with grace. He has been a good and effective legislator. To compare him to a beauty queen is ridiculous.your level
:clap::clap::clap:
Very well said!

i thought this guy was like, the scum of the earth and that he was a bad guy. why are all these politicians suddenly praising him? i thought he was cussing at someone just a few years ago... didn't him and cheney get into it? or was that someone else?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back