Teen sues parents after being ‘kicked out,’ wants money

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I thought it was interesting the judge postponed the college decision until AFTER financial aid forms are due. That puts her in a bind, not knowing what her parents will contribute. Do you suppose the judge knows this (LOL)?

I'm guess the judge will ask the parents to give her the college funds they have set aside for her. (I think the parents may be willing to do this.) However, the friend's parent who is bankrolling the case has stated this will not be enough $.

IMO, well, honey, if that's not enough, get a job.

I thought it was interesting the judge postponed the college decision until AFTER financial aid forms are due. That puts her in a bind, not knowing what her parents will contribute. Do you suppose the judge knows this (LOL)?

I'm guess the judge will ask the parents to give her the college funds they have set aside for her. (I think the parents may be willing to do this.) However, the friend's parent who is bankrolling the case has stated this will not be enough $.

My father pulled the financial carrot strings when I was in college because he was mad that I moved off-campus. Instead of demanding his money- I reacted the opposite way- proving that I could support myself for a period of 4 months by getting a job. This girl thinks college is a right, and although I agree with higher education, I do not believe in entitlement. She could get scholarships, financial aid, loans, or get a job.

Watching this case closely!

I also hope the judge welcomes her into the adult world and laughs at her!

Geeesh... Zero appreciation!

I also knew everything and thought I was an adult at 18. I moved out. I came crawling back with my humbled tail between my legs and a huge appreciation for my parents!!!! I managed to survive for 3 months.
It was awful.
Back then parents stuck together. No way were my friends parents going to take me in.

ETA the parents of her friend that thwarted her parents efforts to PARENT should pay. They IMO accepted that burden when they allowed the brat to move in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBM-Ditto!

As a resident of New Jersey, I can attest to the enormously high property taxes, that her parents already pay toward a public education.

My own child went to private school for years and years and it's like paying twice!

She should appreciate the education they were WILLING to give her for the small price of common courtesy and respect.

They should tell her that they're already paying for her education with their property taxes-she can finish out the rest of the year at the local public high school, and that they'll pay for her college education at the local community college. The father in the family she's staying with is providing her legal counsel, since he's a lawyer, and wants her parents to pay him for doing so. Why don't people just mind their own business and let people parent? I have a notion that the parents in the friend's family think they're great parents and will show Rachel's parents how it's done.

The Lawyer she lives with is paying the bill but I bet the amount of legal fees is figured into the suit also.

Yes-the father/lawyer is actually suing Rachel's parents to pay for her legal counsel. She doesn't look abused-she looks like a brat. She left 2 days before her 18th birthday, because she was imminently an adult-but still wants to be financially maintained in the style to which she's become accustomed.

Friends of mine had a similar issue with one of their kids and a meddling family that took their daughter in. It didn't end well for anybody

It sounds like entitlement, but I wonder if there's more to this story. Even if a family was kind enough to take a child in during conflict with her parents, to suggest and facilitate a lawsuit, it sounds like there's more going on.

If anything, the parents were the ones to enroll her in private school, and thus should be obligated to finish paying out the year. The other requests are a bit more problematic, but I really believe there's more to this story we're not hearing. I can't believe a lawyer would waste $12k on a frivolous suit for someone else's child - or that most family law attorneys would even touch this case, without some significant information we're missing here.

Waiting to see how this all plays out. Even if someone wants attention, they're not ponying up twelve grand for a random kid to gain it.

You'd be surprised at what meddlers other parents can be. Just imagine listening to your daughter tell you horror stories that her friend is telling her about her parents. And one of her parents is the former police chief, who is considered by a lawyer to be a blue collar, and uneducated (it shocked me to know that people think this way). I wouldn't be surprised if the lawyer and the cop had a professional issue in the past.

My friend had an issue like this with one of their kids; the other parents who took their daughter in really created some long lasting problems. My friend and her husband ended up divorced because of it.

I would NEVER take in one of my child's friends, unless, I had that child's parents permission.

If I believed a child was being abused, I'd call the police and CPS.

Frankly, I am appalled her CATHOLIC SCHOOL is extending her the privilege of continuing to attend. They, along with the other family are 100% wrong.

That brat emancipated HERSELF!

My comments in dark red
I thought it was interesting the judge postponed the college decision until AFTER financial aid forms are due. That puts her in a bind, not knowing what her parents will contribute.
Some would say this teen tangled herself in this bind, not her parents. 'Some' here includes me.
Do you suppose the judge knows this (LOL)?

I'm guess the judge will ask the parents to give her the college funds they have set aside for her.
I wonder if judge will do that. I've not seen anything definitive about these 'college funds.
Q = Are 'college funds' actually in a segregated a/c?
Or commingled, w mom and dad's other a/cs or their joint a/c?
1. How is a/c registered?
ex: Rachel Canning? Rachel Canning & Papa Canning? JtTen w Rt/Survivorhip? Rachel or Papa? Tenants in Common? Or?
2. ex: trust a/c? What does trust doc itself say? Revocable, or irrevocable?
Who is trustee?
Who are named as beneficiaries? Rachel only? All 3 dau's?
What are restrictions as to trustee's disbursements or distribution?
All discretionary?

3. ex: Uniform Gift/Transfer to Minor Act under NJ law? or other st statute?
Mama Canning custodian for Rachel Canning, NJ UG/TMA?
This could $ at bank, cr union, brokerage house, etc.
If so, that $$$ cannot be transferred to benefit the other dau's benefit, or back to parents or anyone else.
If so, per state UGT/MA, she would be entitled to those funds at the st-statute specified age (not necessarily 18 or NJ age of majority);
and she chould use them for any purpose she she chose.

4. Some st's have statutes for special college only a/c's w state tax breaks (deferral or exempt from st income tax). In some st's. an a/c originally intended for one sibling, if not used for college/higher ed for her, can be transferred for other sibling's college exp.

5. Registered as a 529 a/c?
Maybe someone here could explain more on those?

All that said, if Mama & Papa have not made irrevocable transfers to a trust which can only be used for Rachel's college exp,
I wonder if a judge would order these purported 'college funds' be transferred to her? or to a third party (custodian? administrator?) to handle on her behalf.

(I think the parents may be willing to do this.)
Parents w 2 more dau's who they expect to send to college
may be more inclined to want to use the $$$ for the younger ones' college exp.
If they voluntarily pay for rebelleous Rachel's college exp,
seems like it would not incent the younger 2 dau to behave, follow house rules, fam guidelines, etc.

However, the friend's parent who is bankrolling the case has stated this will not be enough $.
IMO, well, honey, if that's not enough, get a job. Ditto by me.

It's interesting to see the range of comments here.
My optimist side says -maybe these folks can reach a mutually agreeable resolution,
my pragmatic side says - if that were possible, it would have happened before ct-filing.
Thank goodness this is not my dau. LOL

I would NEVER take in one of my child's friends, unless, I had that child's parents permission.

If I believed a child was being abused, I'd call the police and CPS.

Frankly, I am appalled her CATHOLIC SCHOOL is extending her the privilege of continuing to attend. They, along with the other family are 100% wrong.

That brat emancipated HERSELF!

exactly, I don't understand how- when you are the one to leave home, that you are not emancipated. DH's niece got legally emancipated at age 16, but her father is a substance abuser. She supported herself. Especially when this girl is 18-legally an adult. She could vote and join the military at age 18. She also thinks she's old enough to drink.

exactly, I don't understand how- when you are the one to leave home, that you are not emancipated. DH's niece got legally emancipated at age 16, but her father is a substance abuser. She supported herself. Especially when this girl is 18-legally an adult. She could vote and join the military at age 18. She also thinks she's old enough to drink.

I'm actually afraid for her family.
I do not see her gaining any insight anytime soon. (IMO never)
She's highly manipulative and full of rage IMO...

She reminds me of so many young people that kill their parents simply because they dared to say "no"

This link is a pub from a NJ state agency and sets forth NJ laws re age of majority.
http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/publications/pdf_lti/legal_age_req.pdf

Even though the agency mentions landlord-tenant at the top of the page,
it sets forth age laws re voting, Uniform Gift/Transfer to Minor Act, etc.

Another link to NJ statute
http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=159566&Depth=2&TD=WRAP&advquery=%2246%3a38A-1.%22&depth=4&expandheadings=on&headingswithhits=on&hitsperheading=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&rank=&record={3799}&softpage=Doc_Frame_PG42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=40&y=18&zz=

A link to NJ Unif Transfer to Minors Act, w definition of 'adult' being 21 y/o
46:38A-1 . Short title
<A name={14326}> This chapter shall be known and may be cited as the "New Jersey Uniform Transfers to Minors Act."

L. 1987, c. 18, s. 1.

<A name={14327}>46:38A-2. Definitions
<A name={14328}> As used in this chapter:

a. "Adult" means an individual who has attained the age of 21 years;

If this is the current NJ law effect and an a/c s titled Mama C, custodian for RC, under NJ UTMA (or Papa)
this suggests (imo) the custodian would not be obligated to give her the funds until RC is 21 y/o. MOO, IMO, JMO

If the a/c is registered that way, Rachel may need to tough it out for 3 yrs to get her hands on the $$$.

Maybe someone can verify whether this is the current law for NJ UTMA? Thx in adv.

Thank You Nancy Grace!!!

Loved her tonight on this topic, I recorded it so I could watch her on this topic!!!

Thank You Nancy Grace!!!

Loved her tonight on this topic, I recorded it so I could watch her on this topic!!!

Can someone summarize, pls? Or give a youtube link?
thx in adv

Spoiled brat with a sense of entitlement pretty much sums up NG show. Best was when TH said, "Not very often do we get to see a baby psychopath."

Can someone summarize, pls? Or give a youtube link?
thx in adv

Nancy called her a spoiled brat, announced that the brat told her mom that she wanted to ( spelled shiit out) on her moms face, jeankarsaurs was in the courtroom & disgusted, and the expert called the brat a baby psychopath.

I hope the judge says her parents dont have to do crap for her. She is 18, left on her own . Let her find out how hard the real world can be. And I hope the parents listen and dont give her a penny of the money they have been saving their whole life for her education. Let her sit out awhile until she grows up and learns some respect.

This link is a pub from a NJ state agency and sets forth NJ laws re age of majority.
http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/publications/pdf_lti/legal_age_req.pdf

Even though the agency mentions landlord-tenant at the top of the page,
it sets forth age laws re voting, Uniform Gift/Transfer to Minor Act, etc.

Another link to NJ statute
http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=159566&Depth=2&TD=WRAP&advquery=%2246%3a38A-1.%22&depth=4&expandheadings=on&headingswithhits=on&hitsperheading=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&rank=&record={3799}&softpage=Doc_Frame_PG42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=40&y=18&zz=

A link to NJ Unif Transfer to Minors Act, w definition of 'adult' being 21 y/o
46:38A-1 . Short title
<A name={14326}> This chapter shall be known and may be cited as the "New Jersey Uniform Transfers to Minors Act."

L. 1987, c. 18, s. 1.

<A name={14327}>46:38A-2. Definitions
<A name={14328}> As used in this chapter:

a. "Adult" means an individual who has attained the age of 21 years;

If this is the current NJ law effect and an a/c s titled Mama C, custodian for RC, under NJ UTMA (or Papa)
this suggests (imo) the custodian would not be obligated to give her the funds until RC is 21 y/o. MOO, IMO, JMO

If the a/c is registered that way, Rachel may need to tough it out for 3 yrs to get her hands on the $$$.

Maybe someone can verify whether this is the current law for NJ UTMA? Thx in adv.

I checked both of your links and nowhere did it say that age 21 is an adult. Both links stated that 18 is the age of majority:

Link 1:
9:17B-1. Legislative findings
The Legislature finds and declares and by this act intends, pending the revision and
amendment of the many statutory provisions involved, to:
a. Extend to persons 18 years of age and older the basic civil and contractual rights and
obligations heretofore applicable only to persons 21 years of age or older, including the right to
contract, sue, be sued and defend civil actions, apply for and be appointed to public
employment, apply for and be granted a license or authority to engage in a business or
profession subject to State regulation, serve on juries, marry, adopt children, attend and
participate in horse race meetings and parimutuel betting and other legalized games and gaming,
except as otherwise provided in subsection c. of this section, sell alcoholic beverages, act as an
incorporator, registered agent or director of a corporation, consent to medical and surgical
treatment, execute a will, and to inherit, purchase, mortgage or otherwise encumber and convey
real and personal property.
Link 2:
9:17B-3 Majority at 18.
tab.gif
tab.gif
Except with respect to the provision of services pursuant to the laws relating to dependent and neglected children, allocated to chapter 4C of Title 30 of the Revised Statutes (C.30:4C-1 to 30:4C-44), to persons between 18 and 21 years of age who seek to avail themselves of such services and who are enrolled in a school or training program below college level or who require a course of treatment for emotionally, cognitively, or physically disabled persons, with respect to the right of a court to take any action it deems appropriate and in the interest of a person under 21 years of age, or to require a change in action heretofore taken by a court with respect to a person under 21 years of age, or with respect to the provisions of the "New Jersey Uniform Gifts to Minors Act" (P.L.1963, c.177, C.46:38-13 et seq.), or the "New Jersey Uniform Transfers to Minors Act," R.S.
hitleft.gif
46:38A-1
hitright.gif
et seq., every person 18 or more years of age shall in all other matters and for all other purposes be deemed to be an adult and, notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, shall have the same legal capacity to act and the same powers and obligations as a person 21 or more years of age. Except as herein otherwise provided, every act or action of any such person shall be as valid, binding, and enforceable by or against such person as if, at the time such act or action was performed or undertaken, such person was 21 or more years of age and no act or action by any such person performed or undertaken on or after the effective date of this act shall be subject to disaffirmance because of minority.http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=159620&Depth=2&TD=WRAP&advquery=%2246%3a38A-1.%22&depth=4&expandheadings=on&headingswithhits=on&hitsperheading=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&rank=&record={3799}&softpage=Doc_Frame_PG42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=40&y=18&zz=

That's the current law - 18 is the age of majority in NJ.

Essentially, she is trying apply statutes that have to do with child support, to her situation. If a child turns 18 but is still in high school and remains in the home of a parent, the other parent may, for example, have to continue paying support (in our state until they graduate or age 19, whichever comes first. NJ law seems a little more vague).

Another example is that if one or both parents have the means, college tuition may be ordered to be paid, in an amount that the parties can afford, even though the child is over 18. That's rare. Most states have no such law.

Neither situation applies here.

Basically, the judge had no choice but to apply the law and that's it. He could only determine if there was an emergency and if so, were certain orders necessary to prevent imminent harm. He found no emergency, so the application deadline is probably irrelevant!

My comments in dark red

It's interesting to see the range of comments here.
My optimist side says -maybe these folks can reach a mutually agreeable resolution,
my pragmatic side says - if that were possible, it would have happened before ct-filing.
Thank goodness this is not my dau. LOL

I don;t know. I hope you're right but I kind of think this girl's life has been ruined by this. It will never go away. Someone posted a great LA Times article about this upthread [THANKS!!!] and it talked about that very thing - the age of permanency with the internet, etc. And how she will always be known as the girl who sued her parents.

The family that helped her file this should be ashamed. Like others have said, they should've worked to get the family together again, tried to encourage counseling, etc. It doesn't even look like any of them talked to this gal's parents, parent -to- parent - like "Hey, what's going on here?"

That disturbs me, how quick they were to sue instead of resolve. That girl is 18. She could not foresee, at her age, the magnitude of such a lawsuit and how a lawsuit involving a super novel (attempted) application of the law, parental rights, money, entitlement, etc., would be international news and cause a firestorm of reaction, mostly negative.

But her friend's lawyer father could. He was well able to foresee what was going to happen.

And while no one will remember the attorney, they will remember the girl. What a scoundrel. How dare a parent, a father, advise a young person, not yet out of high school, to undertake so dangerous a course - one that has ramifications she could not hope to grasp?

What a you know what.

OT but every day I find a new reason to be grateful I was not able to have kids...:)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Angelinazoomazooma
Back