Tempo Restaurant: What Happened There?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why would there be two times on the receipt if they were not input in the computer as an order and then a payment? There would be no reason to have two entries one minute apart if he was merely paying an already open tab? Any unpaid orders would already be in the computer.
I doubt there are two times on one receipt.

There is usually a time stamp on the bill when it is given to you to show how much you owe for your order.

Then there is the time of the credit card transaction reflected on the receipts for the actual time of payment.

But the time the orders were entered into the computer is not reflected on the bill or the transaction receipt.

That's why, at least the way I see it, there is still wiggle room regarding the times reported by Tempo. Because all they would be going on is when the bill was printed. And when the credit card was run. If you have a tab open, and you ask to close it, they print the bill (time stamped), you look and hand over your credit card, they run it...you get a receipt (time stamped) sign it, leave a copy, keep a copy. Which would be one reason both times are so close.

Could he have ordered those beers and paid for them. Sure. And I'm not saying with any certainty he didn't.

But if tempo is just going off the bill and the receipt. Then to me that really doesn't prove when it was ordered. IMHO

ETA: this is no judgement on Coy's reporting, I think he reported what he was told. I just think what those times are based off of, may not reflect what time the actual order was placed.

Ps those unpaid items in the computer are pending, they don't get time stamped, until you print the bill.

Otherwise, If every item you ordered over the course of an evening at a bar reflected the time that item was ordered, you'd end up with many times on the receipt...at the end of an evening the bill only reflects one time, the time the bill is printed, not the time each item was ordered.

Who knows if that report is true. Wasn't that also asserted by the same person who said she was never in Tempo?

HA true!

But I believe at least one other witness reported seeing her in tempo too....but who knows.

I doubt there are two times on one receipt.

There is usually a time stamp on the bill when it is given to you to show how much you owe for your order.

Then there is the time of the credit card transaction reflected on the receipts for the actual time of payment.

But the time the orders were entered into the computer is not reflected on the bill or the transaction receipt.

What is not contested is the fact that LJ Matthew used his Visa a second time that evening at Tempo. According to the records that were shared with me by Cunningham, LJ ordered two drinks at 1:09am and paid for them exactly one minute later. The bartender rang them up at $7 a piece. Witnesses with whom I spoke do not recall whether they were beers or mixed drinks or one of each. And no one I spoke with recalls watching LJ drink one or both of those drinks. Nor does anyone recall him taking them outside to share with someone.

Perhaps the receipt we as the consumer sees only contains the time of payment, but the computer would have a record of the time of the order. Same as at a restaurant. When you place your order, it is input in the computer at the time, but it doesnt show up on your receipt. I will not continue to debate this, but it seems to be a fact uncontested by any other source. JMO

Why would there be two times on the receipt if they were not input in the computer as an order and then a payment? There would be no reason to have two entries one minute apart if he was merely paying an already open tab? Any unpaid orders would already be in the computer.

I worked in food service a few times in college. At one of the places that I worked, I actually had to "key in" the drink order in the computer/register. That produced an "order" to the bartender who would then make the drink. It was to prevent theft, free drinks,etc. So if Tempo has this type of system, then yes, they would be able to provide both the time that the order was placed as well as the time that the tab was closed out.

I am surprised there is still so much debate about Tempo. There needs to be some point when we call it a day on this topic because we just don't know. I wish we did have more to work with and I hope as this case moves along we will be privy to more information. Maybe I am just tired tonight but I cannot resist seeing there is more dialogue only to find the same ideas recycled.

Tempo seems like an upscale restaurant. One would think they have an accurate receipt system and cameras. Most businesses do have these essential tools to conduct business.

I wish someone local could just go there and check out how they do their billing and receipts.

Maybe they could also check on the whole camera situation? Inside outside?

Better yet go on a Friday night, around last call.

That would be amazing.

I worked in food service a few times in college. At one of the places that I worked, I actually had to "key in" the drink order in the computer/register. That produced an "order" to the bartender who would then make the drink. It was to prevent theft, free drinks,etc. So if Tempo has this type of system, then yes, they would be able to provide both the time that the order was placed as well as the time that the tab was closed out.

Exactly! Alcohol is tracked far more closely than lots of other "foods". Thank you is not enough!

I worked at multiple restaurants in the 90s as a server and a bartender. The time a tab was opened was a base for monitoring "ticket times" on food and drink orders, how many drinks had been served during the guest's stay (to monitor sobriety and also possible legal ramifications if there was a DUI) and a common point of reference when servers are standing around griping about a table staying to long and taking up space :)
Another consideration is that a bartender has more freedom and can pour drinks without first ringing them up. Bartender does not need a formal ticket request like a server that is picking up the drink(s) from the bartender. I would frequently make a sweep of drinks for patrons and then ring everything up.

The place I worked at was the same way, but those times available to the wait staff, are not printed on the bill or receipt. And if a restaurant was asked about a customers history, the quickest information they would have, is the bill, and cc transaction they would have to dig into the system more to know when those orders where sent to the kitchen or bar.

Because we don't know what tempo is establishing this time frame on precisely, I'm still seeing this as a gray issue. Not one we know with absolute certainty.

I know I seem to be alone on this, but I'm cool with that ;)

The place I worked at was the same way, but those times available to the wait staff, are not printed on the bill or receipt. And if a restaurant was asked about a customers history, the quickest information they would have recording more long term, is the bill, and cc transaction they would have to dig into the system more to know when those orders where sent to the kitchen or bar.

Because we don't know what tempo is establishing this time frame on precisely, I'm still seeing this as a gray issue. Not one we know with absolute certainty.

I know I seem to be alone on this, but I'm cool with that ;)

Sorry if I sounded confrontational, was not intended. I think we need new information. We have about hashed, rehashed, and hashed again everything we have. I think we are all officially frustrated.

Sorry if I sounded confrontational, was not intended. I think we need new information. We have about hashed, rehashed, hashed again everything we have. I think we are all officially frustrated.

No worries! All's good :)

I worked at multiple restaurants in the 90s as a server and a bartender. The time a tab was opened was a base for monitoring "ticket times" on food and drink orders, how many drinks had been served during the guest's stay (to monitor sobriety and also possible legal ramifications if there was a DUI) and a common point of reference when servers are standing around griping about a table staying to long and taking up space :)
Another consideration is that a bartender has more freedom and can pour drinks without first ringing them up. Bartender does not need a formal ticket request like a server that is picking up the drink(s) from the bartender. I would frequently make a sweep of drinks for patrons and then ring everything up.

Good points but as a fellow bartender you know that there are those annoying guests who insist on paying for each round of drinks separately, rather than running an open tab.

Its annoying to bartenders because we have to stop what were doing, ring you up and then either make change or hand you a credit/debit card slip to sign. Meanwhile drink orders are backing up from our other guests . Its much faster to just open a tab and do it once in the course of a night as opposed to 6 or more times.

As such I think the bartender would have remembered JLM.

Lets not forget that Tempo is supposed to close at 1:00 AM per their website. It was 1:09 when JLM ordered those drinks and the bartender could have already called last call at that time. In which case JLM would have no choice but to pay for his drinks immediately.There is no set time for last call in non-corporate restaurants; its all according to volume.

Its not unusual at all for people to stay for 30 minutes or more after last call either....for obvious reasons like trying to get it together enough to drive, waiting to pay, calling a cab, trying to "seal the deal" etc etc.

*** I dunno how many locals we have who are following this thread but Im going to Tempos on Saturday night to have a few beers and to scope it out in person from a bartenders perspective. If anyone wants to meet me there and do some investigation of their own youre more than welcome. I would enjoy the company. I promise Im harmless and since Im making the invite on an open forum there are witnesses :DJust send me a pm prior to 3pm or so on Saturday if youre interested and perhaps we can sleuths some things out and provide an eyewitness perspective*****

I tend to think, when striking up conversation, JLM asked Hannah what she'd been doing that night and she mentioned the party. He asked where and she said around 14th and Wertland. Once he had control, he used her phone to send the misleading message about her location.

Somebody else mentioned his previous trouble for taking a cell phone. I believe that was to prevent the owner from calling police. We could have a similar situation here. If a friend texted her and she started to reply, he may have been afraid of what she'd tell them (feeling drugged, with some guy that won't leave her alone, etc). So he may have grabbed it away to stop her. That led to a struggle and he ended up sending the misleading message to cover himself.

Another variation would be that she told him she was going to a party at 14th and Wertland. I mean, what college party would have already been over at 1:00?!?!?!

Good points but as a fellow bartender you know that there are those annoying guests who insist on paying for each round of drinks separately, rather than running an open tab.

Its annoying to bartenders because we have to stop what were doing, ring you up and then either make change or hand you a credit/debit card slip to sign. Meanwhile drink orders are backing up from our other guests . Its much faster to just open a tab and do it once in the course of a night as opposed to 6 or more times.

Lets not forget that Tempo is supposed to close at 1:00 AM per their website. It was 1:09 when JLM ordered those drinks and the bartender could have already called last call at that time. In which case JLM would have no choice but to pay for his drinks immediately.There is no set time for last call in non-corporate restaurants; its all according to volume.

Its not unusual at all for people to stay for 30 minutes or more after last call either....for obvious reasons like trying to get it together enough to drive, waiting to pay, calling a cab, trying to "seal the deal" etc etc.

*** I dunno how many locals we have who are following this thread but Im going to Tempos on Saturday night to have a few beers and to scope it out in person from a bartenders perspective. If anyone wants to meet me there and do some investigation of their own youre more than welcome. I would enjoy the company. I promise Im harmless and since Im making the invite on an open forum there are witnesses :DJust send me a pm prior to 3pm or so on Saturday if youre interested and perhaps we can sleuths some things out and provide an eyewitness perspective*****

That's awesome zapped! Please let us know what you find out! That is hugely helpful!

I tend to think, when striking up conversation, JLM asked Hannah what she'd been doing that night and she mentioned the party. He asked where and she said around 14th and Wertland. Once he had control, he used her phone to send the misleading message about her location.

Somebody else mentioned his previous trouble for taking a cell phone. I believe that was to prevent the owner from calling police. We could have a similar situation here. If a friend texted her and she started to reply, he may have been afraid of what she'd tell them (feeling drugged, with some guy that won't leave her alone, etc). So he may have grabbed it away to stop her. That led to a struggle and he ended up sending the misleading message to cover himself.

Another variation would be that she told him she was going to a party at 14th and Wertland. I mean, what college party would have already been over at 1:00?!?!?!

Given her time frame walking to Tempo, (straight shot from when we see her at mcgrady's) I'm pretty sure tempo was her destination from the time she left the party, and I think her refusal of a walk home, is an indication she wanted to go alone.

Given that, I do think its completely unreasonable to imagine HG sending that text herself. I think its possible she either sent it to someone she's meeting...."come find me"....or it was sent to her friends to buy her some time so she wouldn't have to explain where she was.

Just thoughts of course.

Was the party breaking up when Hannah left it? Did other friends leave it at the same time? If she left alone, we know she went to one bar and didn't get in. Then seemed to head straight to the mall area and straight toward the Tempo area. No stop anywhere else.

It's hard to imagine any college party ended at the time she departed. If she left alone and headed directly to two bars, it would seem she was looking for someone. She obviously didn't find them unless it was JLM. He'd been in Tempo earlier, hadn't he?

Was the party breaking up when Hannah left it? Did other friends leave it at the same time? If she left alone, we know she went to one bar and didn't get in. Then seemed to head straight to the mall area and straight toward the Tempo area. No stop anywhere else.

It's hard to imagine any college party ended at the time she departed. If she left alone and headed directly to two bars, it would seem she was looking for someone. She obviously didn't find them unless it was JLM. He'd been in Tempo earlier, hadn't he?

We already have been told by LE that she was looking for someone -- multiple someones -- who were waiting for her at a party and with whom she was texting, saying, "I'm lost."

Just be sure that if you go to meet Zapped, and you decide to accept a ride home, RUN if it's a burnt-orange car. And try to get the street names correct when you text your location throughout the evening. :eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back