Terri's Computer forensics

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If anything I would say she definitely used a prepaid mobile (throwaway phone?).....I worked for aust largest phone company and here you cant see who the texts or calls are made to.......also it is very easy to buy one using a false name. Drug dealers always get gthese phones.....some of the staff where I worked used only these as they knew they were much more private......but then we may be behind you!

Can't help it, but this just made me laugh, thinking about how it would look if LE came to get someone's computer and they had spilled milk on it, run over it with a car, poured gas on it, lit it on fire, and thrown it in an alley! :eek:

I remember that one smug creep of a husband whose computer was sitting there with a gaping hole where the hard drive had been when police came to get it...can't think of his name...his wife was never found, but he was finally convicted when his dad turned on him...they had both gone to Mexico (dad and husband) where he had remarried, taken the kids, etc...and then tried to put a hit on his in-laws from prison...oh-Perry March-that's who it is, and Janet March, his murdered wife.

Definitely true for a hard drive, not sure about a SIM card, though. However, most of the phone companies retain SMS (text) messages as well as phone call history. So those records can be gotten that way. I wish we could see the contents of the hard drive and phone messages! :eek:

Thought I would add to this, I recently attempted to get my text messages from Sprint as I had blocked texts from my ex and his gf, and was told she had been texting me, I was in process of getting anti harassment order and when I went in to Sprint store they told me all I needed was a notarized form and they only store text messages on their servers for 8 days.

I got the form notarized and faxed to them and a week later received a letter in the mail from them telling me release of my own freaking text messages required a court order and please note that text message content is no longer retained or retrievable for any length of time. Thanks for wasting my time and not giving me my own text messages, I would have gotten court order if the rep had not misinformed me :eek:

I agree with all of those saying that LE has had such info from Terri's electronic communication... I will expand upon this idea in a moment...

But first...( Totally OT but it seems to be the vast majority [atleast vast majority of this thread]that indeed do agree that LE "most probably" do&have had access to all of Terri's electronic communication[more about that in a min]but back to the majority agreeing on this and if LE has and/or has had full access to such[voluntarily? or more likely by way of subpoena] then why, may I ask is it so difficult to believe what so many of us already know&believe that LE having such access[by whatever means] both past and present LE thoroughly reviewed all data which they were privy to (as stated previously all calls in/out, all msgs both text&voice in/out. all media data[pics/video], along with all extensive computer data), why then do a very few still "contest" adamantly that LE learned about entire MFH(or atleast enough to subpoena the landscaper for further evidence of such) thus the entire MFH plot being uncovered, thus more than likely IMO why they continued in the same vein and quickly(unfortunately IMO too quickly but only for Kyron's sake) set up a spur of moment "sting" not fully thinking thru about the great probability of Terri becoming extremely suspicious of its timing.

It seems rather ridiculous and all together just stubborn headed to continually deny and throw out irrelevant issues to dismiss this "point" that so many of us agree that the obvious is what "IT" seems here (i.e. the court doc that Atty Rackner goes on record[might I remind that means she is stating such under an oath of an active licensed atty]that LE DID INFORM HER OF similar in nature media texts per cell phone that were depicting graphic sexual activity btwn Terri and BOTH MC and landscaper. Why then do a few continue to act as though this is pure rumor, speculation
and all together "absurd" for so many of us to believe...

IMO it is not speculation rather an officer of the court under oath as an officer of such court stating that she [Atty] was indeed informed of such by LE. So, if LE had Terri's cell records OF COURSE they are lookiing into recent past therefor why so very far fetched that OF COURSE LE saw electronic communication btwn her and landscaper in order for them to state the similarity in nature?

Imo, just the opposite, it is absurd and obviously denial to not see the extreme obvious of such[with of course the fact that u do agree LE has/have all of Terri's electronic communications]that this is how LE was able to inform Atty Rackner of such..

Back to LE having such data(electronic communication of Terri's) It is IMO that LE have found possibly several main or key pieces of evidence linking Terri's involvement in MFH and/or Kyron's disappearance(tho IMO no one is stupid enough to point blank state the ifs, whens, whys, and hows of a brutal crime via cell or email.) But more likely key pieces that very much "allude" to certain important parts of either crime. And reason that LE continues to serve warrants for searches of others electronics and still plead to others if they have any info to please come forward because of course as we know the sole responsibility is to show beyond a resonable doubt that Terri is guilty or either or both. They will continue building, searching, tightening up all and any info that would corroborate with what is already known about Terri from her data retrieved, reviewed, and analyzed.

Atleast this is how I see it... IMO.. MOO.. and all that stuff
And I do know I am not alone in this train of thought....

Since LE has Terri's laptop and cell phone, I am sure she has acquired replacements or borrowed computers, etc.

In this case, say she has purchased a throw away phone, is there any legal power LE has to track her activity or anyway to do this? I'm sure her parents have computers. Can LE take these? Is there anyway to track "tweets" from electronic gear that does not belong to her?

I can't imagine her without anything electronic for the last month or so....

:confused:

Question do you recall how you learned that LE has TH's "laptop and cellphone?" Because i think she has LOTS of web enabled devices and so does the household; also multiple cellphones and perhaps many between the adults. This is a wired couple with lots of stuffs. Lots. Laptops, Blackberries, Treos, iPhones, you name it. Multiples of everything. She won't go five minutes without a machine with internet access, no problem. New, borrowed, here and there...easy breazy.

imo

Here's something that's been on my mind since the beginning when TH posted on FB that she was going to "hit the gym". The facility where I'm a member has four open computer terminals for members' use. Is it possible that TH's gym does, too? I realize that LE would know if that's the case and could subpoena records. Still, there would be scads of data to weed through, and if she used an anonymous, "throw away" e-mail account, it would be terribly difficult to detect. I dunno...just a thought.

This is a good thread. Thanks to all who've shared their technical knowledge. And, yes, I've also wondered if she was ever a member here or on other crime related sites.

xin;

I agree there is most likely more than one desktop and one laptop, more than one cell phone, blackberry, ipod, what have you.

I still don't think TH is bright enough to be the computer geek in the home. No geek posts daily events on social network sites, where you are going, when, how long you will be gone, pictures of you children, stories of their lives, when a big event for the children is happening, where, how long, pictures of your home. You get the idea.

And no geek is dumb enough to "sext" when a kidnap investigation is going on and think it is okay.

P.S. I think the "sexting" could be as simple as her old hot photos in bikinis when she was in a competition. With comments like, "look how hot I was. I'm so awful now, I want to be hot again, blah, blah, blah."

So, xin, any ideas how LE gets the other electronics?

I think it was said that the pictures were of graphic sexual activity.

IIRC, Kaine said in one interview (sorry, don't have the link handy) that their computer was looked at. Do we even know if there was a search warrant to seize the computer, PDAs or phones?

I hate talking about this but my ex boyfriend was FBI and he was able to get all my phone records( I had a block and alert if anyone was trying to get to my account) and everything on my computer and we lived 6 hours away from each other.They can really do anything.What he did was illegal.He did say he was sorry after. I had broken off with him and he thought it was because I was dating someone else.After he found everything on my records and computer he felt bad.I think I did the right thing by leaving him.

While we have little or no information about the forensics of Terri's computer and this is an interesting general discussion, I think Kaine was more leading to Terri using electronics as her mode of communication. He asked anyone who might have an email or text or anything even if it seemed insignificant, to notify LE.

What do you think of this? I know people text by the minute. I do not personally like that form of communication. But lets get back more to the comments made by Kaine.

Communications that may be out there with clues?

While we have little or no information about the forensics of Terri's computer and this is an interesting general discussion, I think Kaine was more leading to Terri using electronics as her mode of communication. He asked anyone who might have an email or text or anything even if it seemed insignificant, to notify LE.

What do you think of this? I know people text by the minute. I do not personally like that form of communication. But lets get back more to the comments made by Kaine.

I take his statement to mean that TH very probably used friends' laptops etc to communicate with someone. I believe she met someone,probably online,who conned her as to his true desires and intentions.He may have wanted her step son way more than her. She, on the other hand, may have believed that this was "true love ".... Especially if she was drinking,she may have used poor judgement, and actually believed she would leave KH to be with this person...

All JMO

I take his statement to mean that TH very probably used friends' laptops etc to communicate with someone. I believe she met someone,probably online,who conned her as to his true desires and intentions.He may have wanted her step son way more than her. She, on the other hand, may have believed that this was "true love ".... Especially if she was drinking,she may have used poor judgement, and actually believed she would leave KH to be with this person...

All JMO

Oh my God! It's possible. Ugh!

BBM
I doubt that since IIRC Kaine is an engineer with Intel. I suspect he knows a LOT about computers.
Yes, I see what you are saying - of course he knows about computers. Sorry if my post sounded stupid and I wasn't clear when I wrote "technological."

What I meant was, he doesn't seem to have know the extent of Terri's texting by any means. And in the presser he said he wasn't aware of all the places online where she might have gone every day. Not everyone is a joiner or understands how all these websites work.

As an example, my brother in law has a degree in computer science and training in computer repair, but he hardly ever communicates with anyone by email and doesn't have a facebook. I always thought he was unusual, but maybe not. Some people might just communicate over the "wire" for work reasons but not for . . . pleasure, if you know what I mean.

Terri seemed to know that Kaine wouldn't catch her by checking her text messages and emails, which is why I feel he was a bit tuned out. As I wrote before, maybe they had separate email accounts or multiple accounts. Maybe he let her handle all that, and she kept secrets from him right under his nose.

Since my daughter got an IPhone, she writes probably one hundred texts a day with her friends. Or more! I think there may be alot more out there.

As I wrote in my last post, even if Kaine was computer savvy and a technocrat, he seems to realize now that he wasn't aware of what Terri was doing much of the time online and on the phone.

I still question...why are they having to ask the "public" for electronic communication from Terri? IMO, it's because they haven't found anything, and might be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole...

I agree with alot of posts that are putting the possibility out there that Terri very may well have been logging onto the internet from any number of places. I think it depends on the fact of was she aware(as some are not) just how detailed records are of pretty much every key that is stroked? If she was aware I could see her going to various sources for internet access and that would require LE pretty much subponeaing a large , vast, and wide area of businesses computer records, alotta, lotta, lotta time and manhours getting, going, thru, and praying for that 'SOMETHING" that will "break" the case wide open...

But hopefully by LE subponeaing several friends and there may be many we don't even know of thats computers have been searched. I'm hoping that possibly those searches yielded some important piece of info and maybe even proof that indeed Terri was emailing, IM-ing, etc from various sources(different IP addresses) therefor leading LE to the next computer that then will need to be searched...

You just never know... I don't see this case nearing any type of resolve any time soon. As a matter of fact my gut instinct on this is that "we ain't seen nothin yet", I think this is just the very very tip of the iceburg and there is so very much more to get thru before we even see an arrest made...

Of course just my MOO and IMO.. and all that stuff.. MOO.. IMO

I have been trying to remember what Kaine said at, IIRC, the 7/23 press conference. He briefly mentioned Terri's phone, but I couldn't understand the question or his response completely. I thought one of the reporter's asked him if Terri could send emails from her phone. Did he respond, "No"?

Does anyone else remember this or know of a link. (The comment may have been earlier, also.)

Thought I would add to this, I recently attempted to get my text messages from Sprint as I had blocked texts from my ex and his gf, and was told she had been texting me, I was in process of getting anti harassment order and when I went in to Sprint store they told me all I needed was a notarized form and they only store text messages on their servers for 8 days.

I got the form notarized and faxed to them and a week later received a letter in the mail from them telling me release of my own freaking text messages required a court order and please note that text message content is no longer retained or retrievable for any length of time. Thanks for wasting my time and not giving me my own text messages, I would have gotten court order if the rep had not misinformed me :eek:

Well, then Sprint is either blowing you off or not following the new laws. I really can't explain why this happened to you. I just googled something like "electronic data record law" and came up with a mother lode of sites, all involving regs post 9.11.2001 (too many to link and you could make the search more specific to your cause). Eight days? You were most definitely misinformed.

I think it was said that the pictures were of graphic sexual activity.

Why, oh why? Time after time people do this. Time after time they get caught and it's everything turns so, so, I just don't have the words. I don't even care what TH felt she wasn't receiving from her relationship with KH, she is a mother and a teacher. I believe LE has the pics (MC did mention it, I believe).

To me that comment from Kaine was meant for specific people, possibly from information gathered from LE, IMO of course. Could be a ploy to shake up a couple people who they KNOW have had conversations with TH and are giving them a chance, on their own after all this time, to do the right thing.

IMO, LE has shared certain things along these lines with KH and DY/TY and they were possibly (?) speaking directly to particular individuals.

Also, what SmoothOperator says, I believe electronically LE knows everything she's doing right now. Even if she buys a disposable with cash. The FBI isn't Mayberry and they have Homeland Security at their disposable now. (Anyone ever been to Quantico? It's scary and awesome all at the same time, just the limited part I was able to "see".)

I have been trying to remember what Kaine said at, IIRC, the 7/23 press conference. He briefly mentioned Terri's phone, but I couldn't understand the question or his response completely. I thought one of the reporter's asked him if Terri could send emails from her phone. Did he respond, "No"?

Does anyone else remember this or know of a link. (The comment may have been earlier, also.)

Some of KH's answers to some of the questions didn't make sense/don't add up. Maybe he just didn't understand the question; maybe he was just dancing around a bit; IDK. Didn't he state somewhere previously he knew she texted? I mean, he didn't even know what kind of cell his own wife had? But then again, she may have had more than one. I'll be he knows now, though.

KH seems like the more tech-geek. For instance, hubs can build us a computer in a few hours or less, but has not even checked his private email for over 4 months. So I asked him if I could just forward/change his private email over to mine (we were moving anyway). Now he doesn't have to call me and ask me for the password (that HE made up). Jeez Louise. However, he's former Air Force, so that negates his minor shortfalls. Just saying, since he served our Country and all. (yeah, yeah, O/T).

Once again, nice thread and good food for thought.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back