Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #7 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to believe that the FBI looked into possible suspects in their database before releasing pictures to the public. Which to me means, they didn't have this guy stored or he didn't flag as someone to look into. Which means- either they didn't really take the Russian accounts seriously, or we're being fed wrong information.

I read that the face recognition software didn't work-meaning they tried to find the perp but software didn't recognize anyone despite perps being in the databases.

Really? They were bright enough to kill 4 people and wound many many more. I think the fact that the death toll was so low was due to the amount of doctors/first responders present. They also shutdown a major city for many hours causing terror among many residents.

I really don't understand why some folks are downplaying their actions.

Any middle schooler can build a bomb. Easily.

A brighter criminal would have done any or all of the following:

Built a more sophisticated bomb, or
Gone into hiding after the bombings or
Planned to NOT have their car in the shop at time of the bombings in case they needed to get away
Not have ended up running over his sibling, or even ending up in a shoot out with campus cop
Not have called his mom overseas and boasted about being in FBI radar
Not made a scene in the past at his Islamic center
Not end up hiding in a boat

Tons more examples I could give but...sorry, I don't think these guys are very bright at all. Or even just organized. :twocents:

Hey Everyone. Tricia Here. Guess who my guests are tonight? YOU. I want you to call in so we can talk about the everything that happened this week 760- 825-0933. Call in a few minutes before showtime or during the show. Katiecoolady will be with us later.

Tricia just posted the above in the Blog Talk chat room! Click on my signature line and join us!

THE SHOW STARTS IN ABOUT 5 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously? if they've been here since they were 8 or 9, I don't see how it's possible that he can't speak much english...certainly doesn't show that on his twitter.

Yes. I am pretty sure that's nonsense. He has been here since a young age, he attended Americans schools, he went to college, I have no doubt he speaks English.

Not all Chechnyan separatists are terrorists. Not all Chechnyan separatist terrorists are jihadists linked to Al Qaeda and the Taliban, but there is a large contingent of Chechnyan jihadists who have trained and fought in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

I know. Just like not all Basque separatists are terrorists. That's why I was careful to use both words.

Also, not all separatists in Chechnya are Islamists. Although radical Islamists have become a big presence in the movement and have all but taken it over. And the links to Al Qaeda are not big ones.

And , if these last reports are true, the FBI was given more information six months ago, about 6 meetings with a radical Islamist leader...and did nothing.

We ignore or minimize these things to our own peril. I think of that sweet little boy andhis peace sign....

I'm confused by this. There is no evidence that our government ignored anything at all.

In fact, apparently they tracked the older creep for years.

Again, if the Russians didn't find enough to arrest him during his several trips to the region, why should we have? And again, Russia is far less concerned with individual rights or rights of suspects than we are and they have much more to lose if a Chechnyan becomes radicalized because radical Chechnyans have nothing against America and everything against Russia. So if they could find nothing it is unlikely that we could have.

I don;t know why we are so quick to cast blame on our intelligent forces. If there exists no evidence of communication with a known cell or larger organization, there is not much the government can do, unless the suspect takes the bait and gets involved in fake plot.

But, the FBI has been very successful since 9/11 in thwarting several terrorist plots:
A man was arrested Wednesday morning in downtown Manhattan for allegedly attempting to bomb the New York Federal Reserve Bank building, the Department of Justice announced Wednesday.
Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, 21, tried to “detonate what he believed to be a 1,000-pound bomb at the New York Federal Reserve Bank on Liberty Street in lower Manhattan’s financial district,”
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/82548.html

A federal terrorism task force arrested a man they said intended to detonate a car bomb in front of an Oakland bank in the hopes of sparking a civil war by making the bomb blast appear to be the work of anti-government “militias.” http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/02/08/fbi-helps-thwart-san-jose-mans-plot-to-blow-up-bank/

The FBI and the DEA have disrupted a plot involving Iran to kill the Saudi ambassador to the United States and commit other attacks, according to the U.S. Justice Department. Two men - one arrested, the other at large - have been charged in connection with the plot, which the Justice Department says was directed by elements of the Iranian government.http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/11/official-fbi-dea-disrupt-terror-plot-in-u-s-involving-iran/

FBI officers thwarted a terror plot in Tampa, Fla., by a naturalized U.S. citizen who said he wanted to "die the Islamic way," according to a court document charging the man with "attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction" against the United States.
Sami Osmakac, a 25-year-old man who hails from former Yugoslavia (Kosovo), was arrested Saturday night while attempting to car bomb an Irish bar in Tampa, according to a compliant filed by the Department of Justice (DOJ) http://washingtonexaminer.com/fbi-thwarts-islamic-terror-plot-in-tampa/article/1052251

The FBI thwarted an attempted terrorist bombing in Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square before the city's annual tree-lighting Friday night, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Oregon. http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fbi_thwarts_terrorist_bombing.html
Sometimes it's just not possible to catch them before they do something. Especially when they are not connected to a larger group or to a cell.

I cannot find info on how long one can be held before it becomes necessary to mirandize him. Or is there no time limit under the special circumstances( FISA warrant )? Looks like i need to read up on the process.

A long as they can reasonably determine that an imminent threat to public safety exists.

But I don't understand what the big deal is. Most criminals talk regardless of Miranda, except the smarter ones, like organized terrorists are likely to be. The surviving terrorist likely knows his rights to remain silent and to counsel and will invoke if he feels the need to, without the Miranda warning.

I think this is important to note:

I'm glad to hear this.

Does he have a guard at all times? He might try to kill himself there in the hospital. I hope his nurses and guards are Christians who speak up. It would either torture him or wake him up to what he's done. When he goes to lock up in solitary he will never hear any other way besides what's already engrained.

FYI, FBI doesn't claim they tracked the older one for years. They claimed after interviewing him in 2011, they decided he was in the clear and didn't follow up.

I read that the face recognition software didn't work-meaning they tried to find the perp but software didn't recognize anyone despite perps being in the databases.

maybe because of the sunglasses and the hat?

I just saw a CNN report on Lingzi Lu. I think it's been widely reported and known that she went with two friends, one of whom was badly injured and the other was not harmed. This was the first time I heard that the other friend went to go get coffee and because of that was away from the bomb when it went off, that's why the other friend did not get hurt.

Oh Lingzi how I wish you and your other friend would have left too. :(

Did anyone see this presser, because I want to hear that State Police Colonel XYZ stated that the Boston Bombing Suspect is responding to questions in writing, kwim?

There has not been an official press conference, just a bunch of one on one interviews.
This was tweeted by the U.S. attorney's office mid afternoon today.

U.S. Attorney MA‏@DMAnews13h
There will be no press conference or further statement from the U.S. Attorney’s Office this evening regarding the Boston Marathon attacks.

I hope they are sure to tell him,he probably killed his brother ,not them. I'm sure that will provide some good mental torture.

ugh CNN Ac360 has a marathon bombing special that just started. opening video Krystle on gurney with them actively doing CPR. brings it all back....

I just saw a CNN report on Lingzi Lu. I think it's been widely reported and known that she went with two friends, one of whom was badly injured and the other was not harmed. This was the first time I heard that the other friend went to go get coffee and because of that was away from the bomb when it went off, that's why the other friend did not get hurt.

Oh Lingzi how I wish you and your other friend would have left too. :(

I saw that also. It was heartbreaking to watch...her friends now knowing what had happened to her, and trying to track each other down via Internet.

:rose:

You would THINK they'd practice, but then, they're not very bright "terrorists". :eek:hoh:

They probably did practice somewhere, I just don't think it would be Hanover. And I can't even imagine where you'd practice near Brown, either. rehoboth, MA is about the only nearby quieter town I can think of in that area? And that's not convenient to UMassD, and it's about 20 mins outside Providence. :confused:

Dartmouth has a lot of wooded area where you could easily practice tossing paper towel roll bombs. It's surrounded by woods, some water, some desolate places and some neighborhoods in which a few booms would probably not sound out of place.

Really? They were bright enough to kill 4 people and wound many many more. I think the fact that the death toll was so low was due to the amount of doctors/first responders present. They also shutdown a major city for many hours causing terror among many residents.

I really don't understand why some folks are downplaying their actions.

No one is downplaying the destruction of innocent people. A toddler with a gun can kill someone in their own back yard. The ability to kill someone when you're walking with a deadly weapon has nothing to do with intelligence. These were not bright criminals. They stuck their faces on camera, were recognized quickly and caught within the week. The shut down had to do with the excellence of the LE response - not with any intelligence on their part. They were running each other over, and bleeding out in a boat - not masterminding a crack getaway.

Well he is the one who has 90,000 followers, can not remember how many he is actually following but is quite minute to his followers, quite a few for a 19 year old kid IMHO

1,096 Tweets
98 Following
91,807 Followers

He was following 104 people. I wonder how that works? Maybe some people blocked him? Is that possible?

I saw that also. It was heartbreaking to watch...her friends now knowing what had happened to her, and trying to track each other down via Internet.

:rose:

i have a personal connection to Lu and her friends. i am not in the mood to be validated by the mods. its work related. ugh.

FWIW I saw nothing wrong with your post. The image of a jihadi rapper seems like a good Dave Chappelle skit.

The do look funny dancing... until something blows up...:nono:

thank you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members