Thailand / Nepal - Charles Sobhraj, murdered backpackers, 1975/1976 *released from prison 2022*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Reaction score
Here's an interesting article about Charles Sobhraj, an Indian/Vietnamese/Frenchman who killed at least 12 people, most of them backpackers, in Thailand, and Nepal, in the mid-1970ies. At the moment he's in jail in Nepal for the murder of a Canadian, and an American there in December 1975. There will be a BBC drama series about him, beginning on New Year's Day. The author of the article have met Sobhraj several times, both in Paris in 1997, and while he's in jail in Nepal.
Speaking with the Serpent: my encounters with serial killer Charles Sobhraj

Last edited:
Cocky was my ex's aunt (he was born ca 10 years after the murder). The family is still traumatized by what happened and they are devastated that the case is being glamorized like this again.
I can't watch the series. It's a reminder for me that families are victims too :(

Dec 23 2022
''KATHMANDU, NEPAL - Confessed French serial killer Charles Sobhraj was freed from prison in Nepal on Friday after serving most of his sentence for the murders of American and Canadian backpackers.

Sobhraj was driven out of Central Jail in Kathmandu in a heavily guarded police convoy to the Department of Immigration, where he will wait for his travel documents to be prepared.

The country's Supreme Court had ordered that Sobhraj, who was sentenced to life in prison in Nepal, be released because of poor health, good behavior and having already served most of his sentence. Life sentences in Nepal are 20 years.

Sobhraj's attorney Gopal Siwakoti Chitan told reporters that the request for the travel documents must be made by the immigration department to the French embassy in Nepal, which could take some time. Offices are closed over the weekend for the Christmas holiday.''

'His nickname, The Serpent, stems from his reputation as a disguise and escape artist.''

Dec 23 2022
''KATHMANDU, NEPAL - Confessed French serial killer Charles Sobhraj was freed from prison in Nepal on Friday after serving most of his sentence for the murders of American and Canadian backpackers.

Sobhraj was driven out of Central Jail in Kathmandu in a heavily guarded police convoy to the Department of Immigration, where he will wait for his travel documents to be prepared.

The country's Supreme Court had ordered that Sobhraj, who was sentenced to life in prison in Nepal, be released because of poor health, good behavior and having already served most of his sentence. Life sentences in Nepal are 20 years.

Sobhraj's attorney Gopal Siwakoti Chitan told reporters that the request for the travel documents must be made by the immigration department to the French embassy in Nepal, which could take some time. Offices are closed over the weekend for the Christmas holiday.''

'His nickname, The Serpent, stems from his reputation as a disguise and escape artist.''

That is incredible!
He is believed to have killed over 20 Western backpackers across multiple Asian countries.

Cocky was my ex's aunt (he was born ca 10 years after the murder). The family is still traumatized by what happened and they are devastated that the case is being glamorized like this again.
I can't watch the series. It's a reminder for me that families are victims too :(
Sadly, but also fortunately, it was the disappearance of Henk Bintanja, 29, and his fiancée Cornelia Hemker, 25, that led Dutch Diplomat Herman Knippenberg to search for them, and to pursue their murderer Charles Sobhraj. Without Knippenberg's investigation and compilation of investigative materials, Sobhraj's murders were not connected to one person, and Sobhraj would have continued to murder each time he needed pocket money or another false identity.

Sobhraj cannot change, so I assume that he will be grifting again in no time. I wonder which media outlets will be first to pay this murderer for a story.

I've been reading about Sobhraj because I'm curious about his personality. What I've seen cropping up across media, and in interviews with those who knew him, is that he uses racism as a weapon. He justifies his murders as clearing society of undesirables (blame the victim), and cries discrimination when he is caught.

"He said that a section of the media in Nepal was mobilised with fake information to create a climate of prejudice and discrimination against him -- which amounted to persecution instead of prosecution."

"The Serpent serial killer has said he will sue the BBC over its 'falsified' TV series as he starts a new life in France after being released from prison."

Last edited:
"The Serpent serial killer has said he will sue the BBC over its 'falsified' TV series as he starts a new life in France after being released from prison."

The BBC series was based on interviews with Dutch diplomat Herman Knippenberg and on a book; which was based on interviews with Sobhraj. I don't think Sobhraj will have any success suing the BBC.

Regarding allegations that he was unjustly arrested in Katmandu for the murder of Connie Jo Bronzich, he is probably basing his objections on the fact that he used a false passport belonging to Dutch victim Henk Bintanja to enter the country. I think he wants to argue that he didn't do it because no one with his name was legally in the country at the time of the murder. He hasn't been convicted of the murders of the Dutch couple yet, but that would tie him to the passport he used to commit the murders in Katmandu.

Marie-Andree Leclerc gave a 32 page statement documenting their crimes and the victims when they were arrested for drugging a busload of French graduate students. That evidence was used to convict him of the Katmandu murders. Furthermore, he made several appeals of the verdict and failed.

I'm curious to see what he does next.

Just recently heard about CS, due to his recently being released from prison. I'm also currently watching The Serpent - the Netflix series "based" on his heinous crimes. What a sick, twisted criminal.

It's unfortunate that they freed this scum-bag early because of his "poor health". He definitely didn't deserve to be freed early. That being said, he was going to get out soon anyway, given that he was only serving 20 years...which is a slap on the wrist considering his crimes.

Last edited:
Just recently heard about CS, due to his recently being released from prison. I'm also currently watching The Serpent - the Netflix series "based" on his heinous crimes. What a sick, twisted criminal.

It's unfortunate that they freed this scum-bag early because of his "poor health". He definitely didn't deserve to be freed early. That being said, he was going to get out soon anyway, given that he was only serving 20 years...which is a slap on the wrist considering his crimes.
True, but he was not charged with most of the murders. He was in prison from 1976-97, extended from 10 to 20 years for drugging guards and escaping after 10 years. He did that to avoid extradition to Thailand, where he faced the death penalty.

He was in prison again in 2003 for the murder of USA citizen Connie Jo Bronzich in Katmandu in 1975. He was convicted in 2014 for the murder of her travel companion Canadian Laurent Carrière.

Convictions are for poisoning a group of travellers (with intent to rob), and two murders.

"He was jailed in India for poisoning a group of French tourists in the capital, New Delhi, in 1976, before he could stand trial on the charges against him in Thailand."
CBC

Sobhraj was convicted of using a stupefying substance in 1976 in India. He had arrest warrants for murder in 1975 in Thailand. He received a 12 year sentence in India. In 1986, he orchestrated an escape from the Tihar Jail. His goal was to extend his sentence so he could avoid extradition to Thailand. Statute of limitation for murder in Thailand was 20 years.

Sobhraj's sentence was in India was extended to 20 years (12 + attempted escape using stupefying substance), so the arrest warrants in Thailand expired. That meant the murders of the Dutch couple, the French couple, and several other tourists/travellers, could no longer be tried. In Thailand, Sobhraj was facing a speedy trial and execution by firing squad. Instead, he was released in 1997 and returned to France.

In 2004, he returned to Nepal, where in Dec 1975 he robbed Connie Jo Bronzich (USA) and Lawrence Carrier (CAN) before burning their bodies. He was quickly detained in 1975, but avoided arrest by posing as his Dutch murder victim. He might have believed that the statute of limitation for murder had expired in Nepal, or perhaps he thought he could talk his way out of murder charges based on his false passport use. He avoided the firing squad in Thailand, but he spent another 20 years in prison for the Nepal murders. He is 78 years old. A timeline of his life and people who disappeared in those areas would be interesting.

"In July [1976], he then gave a group of French post-graduate students poison pills, telling them it was anti-dysentery medicine. However, the drugs took effect more quickly than Sobhraj had anticipated, the students began to fall unconscious. Three of the students, realising what Sobhraj had done, overpowered him and contacted the police, leading to his capture.

The crime landed him 12 years in prison and Sobhraj was sent to Tihar Jail. As per the law, following the end of his term, Indian authorities were supposed to hand him over to Thai Police where he awaited a death sentence. Therefore, that’s when he plotted a daring escape.

Prior to his time in Kathmandu jail, Sobhraj, known as the ‘Bikini Killer’ and ‘The Serpent’ owing to his skill of deception and evasion, also spent time in India’s notorious prison — Tihar Jail in New Delhi — after he was arrested in July of 1976. The suave and charismatic killer earned even more notoriety and displayed his skills of manipulation and deceit when he broke free of the jail in 1986, launching one of the biggest manhunts in India."

FirstPost

He was arrested in Goa in 1986. The restaurant where he was arrested has a statue of the serial murderer for tourism.

IndiaToday
Google Map

Attachments

• 1672195783654.png
    1672195783654.png
    514.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 1672196286080.png
    1672196286080.png
    782.7 KB · Views: 6
Sobhraj uses race to argue that he is persecuted, rather than the reason he is arrested - murder suspect. He looks for sympathy as a victim of false arrest due to race. I wonder whether he will play the race card in his upcoming alleged lawsuits for wrongful conviction. The Indian government was racist against the son of an Indian man? Doubt it.

1672201997425.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back