The 911 Call

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
accordn2me said:
Ooooo, this is so good, Dani_T. I just thought I did a lot of work on the 911 tape. You did some work! I'm impressed. I wish I had the sound technology - or the knowledge of how to operate it so I could listen to the "loop" that you and VB mention. I downloaded an mp3 file. Do I need the wave file? If you have time to give me a little lesson, I would be thankful.

Time is a problem! I've had company for 4 days. Found termites :eek: in my house. Have a major drainage problem to deal with, a tree that needs to be cut down, and school is starting August 11, and today is my first day of jury duty. Pray for me!
Wow, busy gal there. Jury duty? Interesting case? I've never been called, but I bet if I am, I'll get a boring one. So you listened to what Dani sent you...what did you hear?

Quote:
My instincts just tell me that they probably discussed it. I don't know how seriously, but some of his actions that night tell me that if he was not a part of it, he figured out what had gone down pretty quick and was scared.

DANI: If they discussed it and Darin went with it you are basically talking about two sociopaths. What are the chances that both of them were sociopaths? I jiust find it too hard to believe that they BOTH could have been OK with this.

I don't agree that they have to be sociopaths. I don't even think Darlie is one. Maybe a psych evaluation would say otherwise, but I haven't seen or heard anything at all that makes me think she had a personality disorder.

On the other hand, sociopaths do have a way of finding each other. Look at Karla and Paul in Canada, the Manson Family, and the many couples we have had on crime waves across the country. They are not all publicized, but there are any number of books written about them if one really wanted to search them out.

DANI: But you are assuming he figured it out quickly. Why? What makes you say that? Putting aside his later contradictions at trial, what did he do that night that makes you sure that he suddenly realised it was Darlie?

Little things. He didn't go near Damon, for one thing. I think he would have known in seconds that it was too late for Devon, and the instinct then should have been to see about Damon, who was obviously still alive. He goes to Karen's after she is not needed. Once paramedics arrived, you'd think he would be hanging around to see how his family is doing, not rushing out the door to get friends. He sits on the curbing instead of rushing to the hospital, and sits there for 20 or 30 minutes all the while he has no idea (supposedly) whether Darlie will make it or not. I think he was scared to death they'd be found out.
Quote:
Going after Karen gave him an excuse to get out of the house and away from it, a break so to speak. Hardly the actions of a concerned father. More like the actions of a guilty one if only in those planning stages when he might not have thought they would ever really do it.

DANI: I actually see them as the actions of a desperate man- he knew his neighbour across the street was a nurse. He had been trying CPR and Devon was dead. My reaction would be to get someone who knew what the hell to do.. just like he was screaming for Darlie to just get somebody. Even after the paramedics arrived I think I would still want someone I knew and trusted there. I just don't see why going to Karen should be suspicious.

Because he left his dying children, if you believe him, to go after a nurse who was not needed. By the time they got across the street, Damon's ambulance had left and Darlie's was about to be put in an ambulance to leave. The only reason Karen was ever allowed in the house was to get the dog off the stairway so police wouldn't have to deal with him. She never participated in any first aid efforts. In fact, when they let her into the house, there was no one left there to give first aid to.

Quote:

Now if Darin is involved in the planning but not the execution, he's got good reason to be afraid of what Darlie could tell on him. She could probably pull him down with her. And she may before it is over. </FONT>

DANI: What makes you think Darin is afraid of Darlie?

He isn't out there dating openly. It has been almost ten years. What guy is going to stay blindly loyal to someone on death row if he has nothing to hide? We all know he lied to cover up for her, at the very least, and he hasn't even come clean about that. This same guy who is said to have snorted up all the cocaine she bought him for his birthday before she could get any. He wasn't Wally Cleaver all grown up. And he sure isn't another Rusty Yates. And he darned sure isn't another David Smith, who hates his ex-wife for what she did to his boys. Even my son says it isn't loyalty that keeps Darin's lips sealed; it's Darlie.

Quote:

Now you get to the part where he starts defending her.....at the hospital he is already telling the police that he can see why someone would attack her, its her beauty, her big knockers, etc. How does he have his thoughts together so soon?

DANI: See I don't see that as thoughts together. I see it as a man who is obviously besotted with his wife's looks and who is trying to work out why someone would do this. I think it is a pretty stupid thing to say really and if he really wanted to defend her all he needed to say was they broke in for money etc, she got in the way and scared them off. Just because he is defvending her does not mean that he thinks she is guilty.

I see it as a guy who is trying to come up with what he thinks is a logical explanation to take the heat off of him and his wife. Most men would not even be able to think about who or why. They'd be too distraught. But just like Darlie is accounting for why her fingerprints are on the murder weapon before anyone can ask, Darin is explaining why this could happen them before the police can ask why.

Plus Darin never shows any sign of the various stages of grief. If you listen to him, he and Darlie only went through one....acceptance. They skipped over the denial and the anger. There are actually 5 stages. I have forgotten what all of them are, but acceptance is last, denial is first and anger is somewhere in between. Different people go thru those stages differently, but they don't skip any of them.

Quote:

One of the cops who didn't testify said it started not at the hospital but at the scene when Darin made an inappropriate joke about the intruder having to get past her *advertiser censored* to cut her throat. Why on earth would he think of that?

DANI: Sorry but I only see that as pure speculation. Same level as Waddell throwing up on the scene.

No, it isn't. The cop was Nabors, I think, and he was a supervisor at the scene, and I saw him open his mouth and say it in an interview. No hearsay, no rumor. It was one of those details that don't always come out at trials.

Quote:

But back to assuming he doesn't participate in the murders......We can have him turning, but there could be room for him to do it in an hour or so rather than 5 or 10 minutes. Devon is killed. He finds out about it, maybe interrupts the process, and they fight, then talk, then start the cover up. Damon, of course, would be part of the cover up. Point out the weak spots if you will. I am mostly just thinking out loud. </FONT>

DANI: Your assumption is he knew she was guilty either at the scene or immediately after it. I don't see how you can make that assumption. To put two cold blooded killers in that house with neither of them seeing much wrong with even just contemplating the murder of their kids is just too far fetched. I just don't see how they could BOTH be willing to contemplate the idea, discuss it, even disagree over it. If Darin came downstairs and found that horror scene I think believing his wife did it would be as far from his mind as anything. I don't think he believed for a long time... years later.. if perhaps at all. I think he was trying to cover for her by his contradictions because he honestly believed (at least on a conscious level) she was wrongly accused. To admit to yourself that your wife was a child killer.... that you had lived with her all that time... that you had left your kids in her care... that's a massive thing to bring yourself to believe in any small amount of time.

I agree, but I have a whole long list of things they do that don't fit into what the average parents might do in a similar situation. Why do some parents chain one kid up and starve him while the other kids flourish? There are two of them doing that. Why do some parents torture the three year old until she dies? There are two of them doing that.
I know it seems out there, but we are living in some crazy times. To some people, material things mean everything. Debra Milke had her roommate and his friend take her five year old out to the desert and shoot him in the back of the head. She told the boy he was going to see Santa at the mall. Why? Because the kid was a financial burden and he cramped her style. She didn't want the responsibility anymore.
There were three of them in that deal. Not all parents, but the roommate was living with the kid and they both knew the boy well. Didn't stop them from doing it for a little bit of promised insurance money.

I think when Darlie realizes that there is no appeal that is going to save her, she will turn on Darin and tell what his part in this is. I don't think she will lie about it. I think she will tell the truth. And I think she will say that he was more involved than most people think and maybe not as involved as I sometimes suspect.

And the one thing that haunts me about Darin are his words in court when describing the life he felt he and Darlie deserved, to make enough money to go on trips and not just anywhere but to the places they wanted to go. It was like he was justifying something in his own mind. If this case had not had such huge issues about the trips they wanted to go on that they couldn't afford, it might not resonate the way it does. I just keep thinking what an odd way to describe your goals in life.

beesy said:
Old people :rolleyes:....
Just teasing, I only know that looping means as soon as a file is finished playing, it will automatically just play right over again. No buttons to push, just goes til you tell it to shut up. As for the rest I don't know what the hey they're talking about either. Once Dani sends it to me I'll know, but now? Nope
I actually figured out the loop thing as I went thru the posts. hahahahahah! But I don't know about the other. I would love to have a slowed down version of the 911 call. So if you have one, Dani, feel free to email it to me, too.

Mary456 said:
Goody: "Now maybe she didn't plan it well, but she planned it in her Darlie diva way and put those wheels in motion. We don't know if Darin knew it or not, but I bet he knew something of it. My instincts just tell me that they probably discussed it"

That would make both of them sociopaths who planned the cold-blooded murders of their own sons. I don't see it, Goody, I really don't. In fact, I've never heard of a case where both parents decided to kill their kids for a book or movie deal.

True enough. That would be something new alright. However, there have been parents who have killed their children, usually through some form of child abuse though. The human mind can be pretty depraved.

"Going after Karen gave him an excuse to get out of the house and away from it, a break so to speak. Hardly the actions of a concerned father."

I see it differently. It only took about 2 minutes for Darin to get the Neals and return to the house. When the PO refused them entrance, Darin and Terry both yelled, "She's a nurse!" That doesn't sound like a father who's trying to hide anything; it sounds like a father who's desperately trying to get help for his sons.

Why would they yell, "she is a nurse" when both Darlie and Damon were already out of the house by the time the Neals arrived at the house? Karen was only allowed in the house to get Domain off of the staircase. By her own testimony she was only there for about 30 seconds. She never set foot in the family room or the kitchen, was only in the foyer and on the stairway.

"Now if Darin is involved in the planning but not the execution, he's got good reason to be afraid of what Darlie could tell on him. She could probably pull him down with her. And she may before it is over."

I don't think he has anything to fear at this point. Darlie can't pull him down without incriminating herself, and she'd be a fool to do that. It would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Implicating Darin, in any way, shape, or form, simply puts another nail in her coffin.
O, Darlie won't talk until all hope is gone. Then I think she will tell what his part was because she is going to realize that she has been left holding the bag. By then, she won't care if she incriminates herself. I could be wrong about his participation and I am trying to take that into consideration. It is just so darned hard to explain so many things about Darin, no matter which way you look at it. He just doesn't appear to be "innocent."

Goody said:
Boy, you guys are talking over my head. What are these loops and wav files? Are you guys slowing down the recording somehow?

Hey Goody,

I downloaded the 911 call and opened it in my sound program. From there I isolated a couple of seconds and saved it as a separate file. My program allows me to press a button to play those few seconds repeatedly (looping).

And yes, I did slow down that part of the recording as well. I have emailed both the normal speed and the slowed speed of the 'blake kiminhere' part to Beesy. I can email to you as well so you can listen. Just PM my your address

Goody said:
I don't agree that they have to be sociopaths. I don't even think Darlie is one. Maybe a psych evaluation would say otherwise, but I haven't seen or heard anything at all that makes me think she had a personality disorder. [/b][/color]

Well that makes it even harder to imagine really. What is the likelyhood of having two individuals marrying, neither with personality disorders, who would quite happily discuss and carry out the murder of their children and then cover for each other?

Little things. He didn't go near Damon, for one thing. I think he would have known in seconds that it was too late for Devon, and the instinct then should have been to see about Damon, who was obviously still alive.

He said he did not see Damon when he came down. The first person he saw was Devon and he thought it was just Devon who had been hurt. Even if he is trying to revive Devon and realises Damon is hurt- he is not alone there. He is yelling at Darlie to help. I don't think any parent in those circumstances can just decide it is too late to save one of their children and give up doing CPR. He also does say he checked on Damon but again his changing stories makes it hard to know what he did and did not do.

He goes to Karen's after she is not needed. Once paramedics arrived, you'd think he would be hanging around to see how his family is doing, not rushing out the door to get friends.

He rushed out of the house to get his friend the nurse. There were two paramedics there and he has two dying/dead boys on his hands and a bleeding an 'hysterical' wife. If I was involved in any scene like that (accident or otherwise) and I knew there was another trained professional right next door I'd be getting them regardless of if the paramedics were there or not. If Devon had not been triaged black then they would have been one medic down. As it was Koschak had to prioritise Darlie over trying to revive Devon.

He sits on the curbing instead of rushing to the hospital, and sits there for 20 or 30 minutes all the while he has no idea (supposedly) whether Darlie will make it or not. I think he was scared to death they'd be found out. [/color][/b]

Wasn't he waiting for Terry?

Because he left his dying children, if you believe him, to go after a nurse who was not needed. By the time they got across the street, Damon's ambulance had left and Darlie's was about to be put in an ambulance to leave. The only reason Karen was ever allowed in the house was to get the dog off the stairway so police wouldn't have to deal with him. She never participated in any first aid efforts. In fact, when they let her into the house, there was no one left there to give first aid to.
[/quote]

I honestly think you are looking at his actions very critically. If you were him, had three members of your family who needed urgent attention and only two paramedics would you honestly think your nurse neighbour was not needed?

I don't think Damon's ambulance had left. I think they triaged him for some time in the abulance before leaving and Darlie had only just arrived out on the front porch. Koschak spent only a very short period of time (probably no more than a minute, max two) triaging Devon before moving to Darlie and he moved Darlie out of the house straight away. That means that Darin had to have left the house pretty soon after the paramedics arrived (probably only a minute or so later). There was clearly still a need for medical help. And don't forget that he had been trying to go and get Karen earlier as well when Waddell arrived- so he was in that same frame of mind. He wanted as many trained people there helping his family as possible.

And Karen wasn't simply let in to get the dog. They let her in because she was a nurse:

23 A. We ran directly across the street and
24 we were stopped by a policeman. The policeman said,
25 "Wait a minute. You can't go any further."
1 And my husband and Darin both shouted,
2 "She's a nurse."
3 And I said, "Yes, I need to get
4 through."
5 And he said, "Okay. You may go
6 through, just one of you."
7 And I went directly to Darlie who
8 was -- the two paramedics were placing her -- setting her
9 down in the doorway.
http://www.justicefordarlie.net/transcripts/volumes/vol-41.php#KarenNeal

He isn't out there dating openly. It has been almost ten years. What guy is going to stay blindly loyal to someone on death row if he has nothing to hide?

No, he isn't dating in the public eye. For all we know he could be seeing someone else. He has been very quiet for years. Just because we don't know about it doesn't mean it is happening. And after that kind of tragedy not everyone is necessarily going to want to be in another relationship. Sure, a lot of people do. But it doesn't necessarily follow that because we haven't heard that he has shacked up with someone that he is terrified of Darlie.

We all know he lied to cover up for her, at the very least, and he hasn't even come clean about that.

Yeah he lied to cover up for her- but again just because he hasn't made a media release about covering for her doesn't mean he still is or will. for all we know he might be more than ready to roll on her should the DA approach him about it.

And he darned sure isn't another David Smith, who hates his ex-wife for what she did to his boys.

You simply can't know that Goody. If he actually believed her innocent for all those years (and who knows- maybe he still does... he had good reason NOT to believe she was guilty) then he had no reason to hate her. We haven't heard from him in years. He wasn't at the big rally last year. He hasn't made any public declarations of support. Perhaps he has in recent years come to the realisation she is guilty (maybe after she sicked Pardo on him and after her little comments casting doubt on his involvement). The DA may have him firmly in hand ready to whip him out should they need to. He also has the small matter of perjury to contend with should he backtrack.

Plus Darin never shows any sign of the various stages of grief. If you listen to him, he and Darlie only went through one....acceptance. They skipped over the denial and the anger. There are actually 5 stages.

Again- how do you know this? You are presuming it from a two second grab of an interview after the silly string party where he basically says nothing anyway and what else? How do you know he wasn't angry? In denial? We DO know he was on anti-depressants. But we can't presume to know his emotional state during the weeks, months and years after it based on a couple of short interviews.

No, it isn't. The cop was Nabors, I think, and he was a supervisor at the scene, and I saw him open his mouth and say it in an interview. No hearsay, no rumor. It was one of those details that don't always come out at trials.

I like Nabors but I would want to hear it from the horses mouth. From the beginning of this case I personally have tried to only deal in the recorded testimony and evidence. And again, in any case, people do say strange things when they are in shock.

Dani_T said:
If you want I can email you the wav files (one is slowed down) of that section. You can just keep hitting the play button or find free download software to loop them. I am on a mac so used a program I downloaded for free called 'audacity'

okay that would be great. I'll pm you with my addy. I did use the mp3 player on line to buffer it so that some of the static was lost and you could pause and replay so that's how I heard what I did.

beesy said:
If Darin is saying something like "he ain't gonna make it if they don't get here" or "he's not gonna make it if they don't get here" is that taking off the extra syllables you were talking about? I know in the South, we say "gonna" and I've noticed Darin doesn't have the best grammar skills. He says "me and Darlie..." all the time. I feel sure he'd say "gonna" if that is what he's saying.

Re: Dani's post, not yours Beesy.

It's not too long if you believe he is saying two things back to back. He's says "get somebody" a few times. He could be saying "he can't make it" then "get somebody" again and it just sounds as if it's running together. I believe he does definitely say "make it". I hear "he can't make it" then his voice fades and then "get somebody here" Maybe he says "getkarenhere"

beesy said:
Oh, I was saying I don't think she says "frightening" or "frightened". I was pointing out the fact that the word isn't even used like that. That IF she said anything about being frightened, saying "frightening" is the wrong way to use it. Is that what you're saying? :waitasec:
I thought you felt like she was saying "fightin". That's what I think.

Yes I do believe she is saying "fighting him" but it comes out "fightin im" with her accent. What I meant was if you think, not you in particular but everyone, that she is saying "I woke up, I was frightened" I don't hear an "ed" sound so I don't think she says "frightened" and certainly "frightening" is the wrong context. But of course as I've said before, I look pretty "frightening" when I first wake up, LOL. I don't believe Darlie ever went to sleep that night.

cami said:
okay that would be great. I'll pm you with my addy. I did use the mp3 player on line to buffer it so that some of the static was lost and you could pause and replay so that's how I heard what I did.

Okay thanks Dani. I tried the slow down wavfile and it does sound like Darin is saying "get Blake, get in here." Still quite a bit fuzzy but it does sound like it. So, now who's Blake?

cami said:
Okay thanks Dani. I tried the slow down wavfile and it does sound like Darin is saying "get Blake, get in here." Still quite a bit fuzzy but it does sound like it. So, now who's Blake?

Maybe it says "Drake"????

Jeana (DP) said:
Maybe it says "Drake"????

I wondered that and tried to make it fit but the 'bl' sound is just too promiment. I wondered whether he was saying "Oh my God- Drake! Get in here" to Darlie so she could take over from him and he could check on Drake - but the sound of the 'bl' just doesn't work.

The only other thing I can think of is that he was going to say something starting with 'bl' and then changed his mind and just said 'get in here'- but again the pace of his voice in that part doesn't really suggest that either.

I'm stumped.

Here's a real shot in the dark... could it be, "quit playing and get in here"? the "pl" sound and "bl" sound, if muffled, could sound similar.

One more... could it be, "quit bellyaching and get in here"? the "belly" could have a "bl" sound and the "aching" has the long "a" sound (as in ake), especially if you consider the Texas drawl that elongates some syllables.

Dani_T said:
I wondered that and tried to make it fit but the 'bl' sound is just too promiment. I wondered whether he was saying "Oh my God- Drake! Get in here" to Darlie so she could take over from him and he could check on Drake - but the sound of the 'bl' just doesn't work.

I agree it's not Drake either. I am more confused about it now...thanks guys.:crazy: .I clearly hear "cominhere" I don't hear blake kim..though. I hear come pronounced correctly, but it ends up sounding like "cominhere" If he is telling Darlie to "cominhere" that could boost my theory that he's helping with a coverup. Like he needs to ask her a question or show her something. I've recruited some family and friends to listen also.
Dani..do you think you can slow down the Damon Damon Damon part for me? My husband thinks we have a program that does that, but by the time I can coax him into doing it, Darlie will be dead.
The only other thing I can think of is that he was going to say something starting with 'bl' and then changed his mind and just said 'get in here'- but again the pace of his voice in that part doesn't really suggest that either.
I'm leaning towards that. Is he saying "Babe, comeinhere?" stumbling over the B? Babe makes sense, but will it pass the test?

I realize by now that I'm actually talking to myself but could it be, "get a blanket and come in here?"

HeartofTexas that would be Michael Jackson's House, right?

LOL

cami said:
Re: Dani's post, not yours Beesy.

It's not too long if you believe he is saying two things back to back. He's says "get somebody" a few times. He could be saying "he can't make it" then "get somebody" again and it just sounds as if it's running together. I believe he does definitely say "make it". I hear "he can't make it" then his voice fades and then "get somebody here" Maybe he says "getkarenhere"
At one point, Darin does say "he's not gonna make it". I can hear that without any fancy analysis.

Goody said:
At one point, Darin does say "he's not gonna make it". I can hear that without any fancy analysis.
Funny I keep going back and forth. I've been listening and listening and I still hear "hes not gonna make it" then maybe "comeinhere" Would different equipment make it sound different? What Dani sent me didn't sound too different than what I heard before. So maybe its "hes not gonna make it, comeinhere" I originally thought it was "he's not gonna make it if they don't get here". To my ears that first part has more words in in it than a "blake" sound.

beesy said:
I agree it's not Drake either. I am more confused about it now...thanks guys. .I clearly hear "cominhere" I don't hear blake kim..though. I hear come pronounced correctly, but it ends up sounding like "cominhere"

I don't hear 'blake kim'... I hear 'blake' and then 'kiminhere' (which is with my aussie accent may be a little less clear to me than your 'cominhere' but it is still clearly 'come in here'.

Do you hear the 'Oh My God' clearly at the beginning?

If he is telling Darlie to "cominhere" that could boost my theory that he's helping with a coverup. Like he needs to ask her a question or show her something. I've recruited some family and friends to listen also.
I think that is stretching it a lot. He is obviously frantic. You can hear it in his voice. Seems clear to me the reason he wants Darlie to get in there is to help (especially when not long before he has been yelling at her to 'just get somebody').

Dani..do you think you can slow down the Damon Damon Damon part for me? My husband thinks we have a program that does that, but by the time I can coax him into doing it, Darlie will be dead.

I'll try and get to it- I'm just very busy at the moment (and regretting that I let my language studies slide during my holidays since I barely managed to translate two words in class today!) and juggling about ten balls in the air. When I get a chance to breath I do it for you. Otherwise try searching on google for free downloadable sound editors and have a go yourself (I just taught myself the basics of the program I downloaded).

I'm leaning towards that. Is he saying "Babe, comeinhere?" stumbling over the B? Babe makes sense, but will it pass the test?

I wondered that as well but it seems a very odd time to be calling your wife 'Babe' and I do hear the 'l' sound in the word.

Unless it is "Oh My God... Blood! Come in here!"

Hmmm- maybe it is when he is giving CPR and the blood is blowing out of Devon's chest??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back