The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...1sep01,0,4489032.story?coll=la-home-headlines

NEW ORLEANS — A 2-year-old girl slept in a pool of urine. Crack vials littered a restroom. Blood stained the walls next to vending machines smashed by teenagers.

"The Louisiana Superdome, once a mighty testament to architecture and ingenuity, became the biggest storm shelter in New Orleans the day before Katrina's arrival Monday. About 16,000 people eventually settled in.

By Wednesday, it had degenerated into horror. A few hundred people were evacuated from the arena Wednesday, and buses will take away the vast majority of refugees today.

"We pee on the floor. We are like animals," said Taffany Smith, 25, as she cradled her 3-week-old son, Terry. In her right hand she carried a half-full bottle of formula provided by rescuers. Baby supplies are running low; one mother said she was given two diapers and told to scrape them off when they got dirty and use them again.

At least two people, including a child, have been raped. At least three people have died, including one man who jumped 50 feet to his death, saying he had nothing left to live for."
-------------

Have these criminals who raped and killed been caught, and will they be prosecuted?

tybee204 said:
The registered sex offenders should be in the National Database and unless they are using alias's at the shelters cross referenced with the data base.
Yeah, you can trust a sex offender to tell you the truth. :rolleyes:

Pepper said:
The good news is that it sounds like the body count is going to be less than expected. I sure hope they are checking the attics of all those flooded homes. But as incompetent as some of these people seem to be, it wouldn't surprise me if they overlooked the attics.

And what about St. Rita's? Is there a justifiable reason over 30 were left to die?
That will be a law suit and criminal trial for another day.

kgeaux said:
Many, many thanks to Canada! Merci Beaucoup!

:dance: :woohoo: :blowkiss: :clap:
I saw a man being interviewed that said some Mounties (I think he said) rescued him before FEMA ever got in his area.

He was so greatful and laughingly said "I don't know how they got here, I know it wasn't on horses". I thought it was a cute remark and humor from someone who had just been rescued.

lilpony said:
:woohoo:

Cass, how does Noel like her new school??
So far so good, but she was sick on the 3rd day - threw up in the school van :eek: they called me at 8:45 and said 'come get her - she is covered in barf' :(

but other than that she is fine and is in love with a boy named Ryan :blushing:

Bumpity Bump - 1 hr. 15 min. from now. Y'all watch now, ya hear! ;)

I'm just hoping it's not the KYAGB plan..... :eek:

Tom'sGirl said:
I saw a man being interviewed that said some Mounties (I think he said) rescued him before FEMA ever got in his area.

He was so greatful and laughingly said "I don't know how they got here, I know it wasn't on horses". I thought it was a cute remark and humor from someone who had just been rescued.
Must have been dog sled....:rolleyes:

I agree, it is remarkable to show humour in times of disaster.

Casshew said:
So far so good, but she was sick on the 3rd day - threw up in the school van :eek: they called me at 8:45 and said 'come get her - she is covered in barf' :(

but other than that she is fine and is in love with a boy named Ryan :blushing:
Oh no, how awful for Noel, throwing up in the bus. She must have been so embarrassed. Wow, she is in love, how cute..:blushing:

Talking about throwing up....My husband and I went out to dinner today. He hadn't felt very well all weekend. But said I am feeling a little better, I'll take you out to dinner. So we went to Olive Garden, as we are eatting, he says I am feeling very hot, then cold. So we eat. As we are driving home, he is like I feel very sick, I have to throw up...:eek: So I said drive faster..:eek: Or pull over..Well we pull up in driveway, he runs in house, and hurls...:sick: I am like, we should have saved our money!!!:( And, of course I have my ears plugged, because I can't stand to hear someone throw up...:eek:

That is a very bad thing. But I have held my hands forward to people that need to throw up. I will always show a resolve. Sometimes cancer victims cannot be themselves. And if my hands are the ones they need, then my hands are always available.Blessed be the victims and blessed be the ones that whole their heads up.

concernedperson said:
That is a very bad thing. But I have held my hands forward to people that need to throw up. I will always show a resolve. Sometimes cancer victims cannot be themselves. And if my hands are the ones they need, then my hands are always available.Blessed be the victims and blessed be the ones that whole their heads up.
Its wonderful you can do that. It is bad, I will throw up if someone throws up in front of me...:sick: I have a weak stomach I guess. Hearing it makes me want to throw up too...:( I would make a terrible nurse. :(

Noel was very embarrassed :( but at least it was on the way to school and not on the way back (the boy she likes is on the van on the way back)

I would make a good nurse, I can handle vomitting and excrement while eating a sandwich :D

The Southwest Louisiana Salvation Army needs your help!

The Southwest Louisiana Salvation Army has opened a new relief location at 209 W. Clarence in Lake Charles. They have given away over 10,000 articles of clothing in the past 7 days. They are accepting all donations and specifically asking for clothing and non-perishable food items. 337-721-8068.

http://www.swlacares.com/

Check with your local/regional shipping center. FedEx here is giving huge discounts on shipping donations.

Casshew said:
Noel was very embarrassed :( but at least it was on the way to school and not on the way back (the boy she likes is on the van on the way back)

I would make a good nurseI ca, n handle vomitting and excrement while eating a sandwich :D

Ewwwwwwwwwww!! The smell alone will make me lose it..:sick:

Great read tybee, from one of Samantha's entries

"I wish someone were here for me to talk to.
I really need someone here. I don’t want to be a rock. I don’t want to be an island. I was both at a time, but then I worked hard and made a happy life. Where did it go?

Oh, yeah. I remember. Katrina washed it away."

Drat! I missed it! Anyone want to give a recap?

Liz said:
Drat! I missed it! Anyone want to give a recap?
On again at 2 am Eastern, 11 pm Pacific.

I missed part of it too, but Paula Zahn narrated, and it pretty much fingered everyone from the mayor to the prez. Made lots of comparisons of the roles of the 9/11 responders - Guiliani /Nagin - NYPD vs. NOPD, etc.

Thanks for the heads up, Pepper! I'll try to catch it at 11pm PT ... about 15 minutes from now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back