The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
less0305 said:
I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure DeputyDawg was referring to the local officials as being the bottom layer.
Ahhh. So what did you think of the show?

less0305 said:
I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure DeputyDawg was referring to the local officials as being the bottom layer.

Oh my goodness, no. I was not referring to the people, but generically, the layers of government. Top layer and down to the very bottom layers of government.

The following news article was forwarded to me by a friend who lives/lived in the mentioned neighborhood and has since evacuated.

Armed militia protects its New Orleans neighborhood By BOB DART Cox News

Service Monday, September 12, 2005
NEW ORLEANS â€" The Algiers Point militia put its armaments away Friday as Army troops patrolled the historic neighborhood across the Mississippi River from the French Quarter.

But the band of neighbors who survived Hurricane Katrina and then fought off looters has not disarmed.

"Pit Bull Will Attack. We Are Here and Have Gun and Will Shoot," said the sign on Alexandra Boza's front porch. Actually, said the spunky woman behind the sign, "I have two pistols."

"I'm a part of the militia," said Boza. "We were taking the law into our own hands, but I didn't kill anyone."

She did quietly open her front door and fire a warning shot one night when she heard a loud group of young men approaching her house.

About a week later, she said she finally saw a New Orleans policeman on her street and told him she had guns.

"He told me, 'Honey, I don't blame you,' " she said.

For days after the storm, the several dozen people who did not evacuate from Algiers Point said they did not see any police or soldiers but did see gangs of intruders.

So they set up what might be the ultimate neighborhood watch.

At night, the balcony of a beautifully restored Victorian house built in 1871 served as a lookout point. "I had the right flank," said Vinnie Pervel. Sitting in a white rocking chair on the balcony, his neighbor, Gareth Stubbs, protected the left flank.

They were armed with an arsenal gathered from the neighborhood â€" a shotgun, pistols, a flare gun and a Vietnam-era AK-47. They were backed up by Gregg Harris, who lives in the house with Pervel, and Pervel's 74-year-old mother, Jennie, who lives across Pelican Street from her son and is known in Algiers Point as "Miss P."

Many nights, Miss P. had a .38-caliber pistol in one hand and rosary beads in the other.

"Mom was a trouper," said Pervel.

The threat was real.

On the day after Katrina blew through, Pervel had been carjacked a couple of blocks from his house. A past president of the Algiers Point Association homeowners group, Pervel was going to houses that had been evacuated and turning off the gas to prevent fires.

A guy with a mallet "hit me in the back of the head," said Pervel. "He said, 'We want your keys.' I said, 'here, take them.' "

Inside the white Ford van were a portable generator, tools and other hurricane supplies. A hurt and frustrated Pervel threw pliers at the van as it drove off and broke a back window.

Another afternoon, a gunfight broke out on the streets as armed neighbors and armed intruders exchanged fire in broad daylight. "About 25 rounds were fired," said Harris. Blood was later found on the street from a wounded intruder.

Not far away, Oakwood Center mall was seriously damaged in a fire caused by vandals.

"We were really afraid of fires. These old houses are so close together that if one was set afire, the whole street would all go up," said Harris. "We lived in terror for a week."

Their house is filled with antique furniture, and there's a well-kept garden and patio in back. "We've been restoring this house for 20 years," said Harris.

There are gas lamps on the columned porch that stayed on during the storm and its aftermath. The militia rigged car headlights and a car battery on porches of nearby houses. Then they put empty cans beneath trees that had fallen across both ends of the block.

When someone approached in the darkness, "you could hear the cans rattle. Then we would hit the switch at the battery and light up the street," said Pervel. "We would yell, 'we're going to count three and if you don't identify yourself, we're going to start shooting.' "

They could hear people fleeing and never fired a shot.

During the days, the hurricane holdouts patrolled the streets protecting their houses and the ones of evacuees.

"I was packing," said Robert Johns. "A .22 magnum with hollow points and an 8mm Mauser from World War II with armor-piercing shells."

Despite their efforts, some deserted houses were broken into and looted, said Pervel.

Now the Algiers Point militia has defiantly declared it will not heed any orders for mandatory evacuation. The relatively elevated neighborhood area is across the Mississippi River from the city's worst flooded areas and has running water, gas and phone service.

"They say they're going to drag us kicking and screaming from our houses. For what? To take us to concentration camps where we'll be raped and killed," said Ramona Parker. "This is supposed to be America. We're honest citizens. We're not troublemakers. We pay our taxes."

"It would be cruel for the city to make us evacuate after what we've been through," said Pervel.

The roof was damaged on her house and the rains left "water up to my ankles," said Boza. So she moved into her mother's nearby home.

She said she still has 42 bullets to expend before she could be forcibly evacuated.

"Then I hope the men they send to pull me out are 6 feet 2 inches and really cute," she said. "I'll be struggling and flirting at the same time."

DEPUTYDAWG said:
Oh my goodness, no. I was not referring to the people, but generically, the layers of government. Top layer and down to the very bottom layers of government.
Ah. sorry for misinterpreting. I felt so sorry for those people seeing them on tv last night. Those people seem like they have had failure after failure heaped upon them, and then just to be left feeling abandoned like that....I tell you, I watched this late last night and didn't sleep very much as a result, either. I just kept thinking about the people, and thinking what I would do in the same situation.

What did you think of the show?

She said she still has 42 bullets to expend before she could be forcibly evacuated.

"Then I hope the men they send to pull me out are 6 feet 2 inches and really cute," she said. "I'll be struggling and flirting at the same time."

A real Southern Belle..... ;)

what a story. There are some great quotes in there. Thanks for posting

BirdieBoo said:
Ah. sorry for misinterpreting. I felt so sorry for those people seeing them on tv last night. Those people seem like they have had failure after failure heaped upon them, and then just to be left feeling abandoned like that....I tell you, I watched this late last night and didn't sleep very much as a result, either. I just kept thinking about the people, and thinking what I would do in the same situation.

What did you think of the show?

Actually, I had to work last night, so I missed it. I hear it was good. I'm sure it was absolutely heartbreaking.

Recovery problems, cloak of secrecy compound the mystery

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9317209/

By Sue Anne Pressley and Jacqueline L. Salmon

Updated: 1:05 a.m. ET Sept. 13, 2005
Cynthia du Faur telephoned her twin sister in Chicago at 2:15 a.m. on Aug. 30 and told her in a small, surprised voice that water was rising fast inside their New Orleans home.

It was pitch black, she said, and the city around her was paralyzed, and she was alone with their nine dogs and cats. She could not reach the ladder in the basement, and the attic was nailed shut. Suddenly, she said, almost as an aside, "I think we're going to die."

Her very last words, which haunt me, were 'Let me go try to find some plywood. Okay, bye.' She was looking for something to float on," said her sister, Brenda du Faur, 46. "I can't imagine the slow, rising death that Du Faur can't be certain her sister is dead, but like many others who haven't heard from loved ones in this stricken region, she is already grieving. The people who died during Katrina and its aftermath are, two weeks later, still largely unidentified and unknown. No one can say yet how many perished, who they were, how and when they died. Communications and recovery problems -- and a heavy cloak of secrecy -- have compounded the mystery. Officials have been told not to pass on any information. For now, and for the foreseeable future, the victims of Katrina remain the dead without a roster.

More at link.

kato said:
I had a hunch there would be or is going to be alot of secrecy.
It's not secrecy. It's called "pending notification of next of kin".
And since a lot of the drowned bodies are going to require DNA testing to even identify who they might be--that might take awhile.
If you've ever seen a body that's been in the water for some amount of time, you really don't want to have to watch them being gathered up.
It'll be weeks before they can generate a comprehensive death list. As it is, not everyone at St. Rita's was killed, so you can't even go by existing records.

What seems odd to me is that there's not an estimate of the number of missing people. I remember that being true in other disasters - the news had an estimate of how many people were misssing, as well as how many confirmed dead. Where is that number here?

BillyGoatGruff said:
It's not secrecy. It's called "pending notification of next of kin".
And since a lot of the drowned bodies are going to require DNA testing to even identify who they might be--that might take awhile.
If you've ever seen a body that's been in the water for some amount of time, you really don't want to have to watch them being gathered up.
It'll be weeks before they can generate a comprehensive death list. As it is, not everyone at St. Rita's was killed, so you can't even go by existing records.

I don't mean secrecy as pertaining to showing the bodies. I don't want to see that. I mean secrecy as to what the death toll will be, the effects on the environment, and what was and wasn't done to prevent this.

Notifying Next of kin has to do with releasing names, not numbers. Every responder working down there has been briefed NOT to discuss numbers.

tybee204 said:
Notifying Next of kin has to do with releasing names, not numbers. Every responder working down there has been briefed NOT to discuss numbers.

Somebody should brief the Mayor :waitasec:

tybee204 said:

Yes, but what about when the personnel come out of a house - that a next of kin could identify - and mark on the outside wall how many are dead there. I think that's just horrible. Of course, if I had a loved one there and didn't know what happened, I just wouldn't have the TV on I guess. I wouldn't want to see it - so I wouldn't watch.

I don't think they have any idea whatsoever how many people really evacuated before the storm, and how many stayed. But aren't we getting somewhat of an update on the death count. I thought I saw some numbers of actual known deaths this morning.

The AP is getting numbers:

Death Toll in Louisiana Climbs Past 400
Sep 13 4:32 PM US/Eastern

NEW ORLEANS

Hurricane Katrina's death toll in Louisiana climbed to 423 Tuesday, up from 279 a day before, the state Health Department said.

email012.jpg

email013.jpg

email014.jpg

email015.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members