The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Tom'sGirl said:
Sad isn't it? They didn't heed the warning before Katrina, and now after Karina more of the same. What a shame.
What worries me is some people aren't able to make a good decision on their own. If someone like the mayor says come on back....they might do it. I know my grandmother was in her late 80's when she died.:( If someone in power told her something...she BELIEVED them without a doubt. This might happen for the very young kids also. All of this worries me. I hope someone is looking into the safety of those who return so soon.:( IMO

Day after day, for more than two weeks, the 76-year-old man sat trapped and alone in his attic, sipping from a dwindling supply of water until it ran out. No food. No way out of a house ringed by foul floodwaters.

Without ever leaving home, Gerald Martin lived out one of the most remarkable survival stories of Hurricane Katrina. Rescuers who found him Friday, as they searched his neighborhood by boat, were astounded at his good spirits and resiliency after 18 days without food or human contact.

"It's an incredible story of survival," said Louie Fernandez, spokesman for the Federal Emergency Management Agency search unit that carried out the rescue.

Incredibly, Martin — who ran out of his gallon-and-a-half water supply on Thursday — was able to walk out of the house with just a bit of assistance.

"He was weak, very tired, but he was able to speak, able to stand," Fernandez said. "He was very relieved. He was very thirsty. He was in good spirits."
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/17/katrina/main856340.shtml

That's an incredible survival story, thanks for sharing it!! :blowkiss:

Just read that - poor guy. Wonder how may are still trapped in their homes - dead or alive????

deandaniellws said:
What worries me is some people aren't able to make a good decision on their own. If someone like the mayor says come on back....they might do it. I know my grandmother was in her late 80's when she died.:( If someone in power told her something...she BELIEVED them without a doubt. This might happen for the very young kids also. All of this worries me. I hope someone is looking into the safety of those who return so soon.:( IMO
Nagin needs to have his mouth stapled shut and be locked in a closet for the rest of his term. He's more hindrance than help in this situation.

Iron bars and cinderblocks separate Edward Flynn from the rest of the world.

But as a Mobile, Ala., native, Flynn relates to the hardships of Hurricane Katrina victims who've lost homes and loved ones in the Gulf Coast wreckage.

Shocked and hurt by the images unfolding on the old television he shares with 120 other inmates in his dorm at Montgomery's Kilby prison, Flynn decided they could do more than watch.

Together, the prisoners raised $1,112.37 for the American Red Cross from their own cash-strapped prison accounts.

"We're neighbors in here and we were able to help our other neighbors," Flynn said.

Flynn said it's a strange thing to say, "but it made me feel proud of the neighborhood I live in -- even though my neighborhood is in prison right now."
http://www.foxreno.com/news/4988691/detail.html

Well, bless their cotton-picking hearts!!!!

poco said:
Well, bless their cotton-picking hearts!!!!
I know this is not the correct forum to do this...but I wonder if you who live in Florida...and I have noticed there are quite a few of yall.....could tell a little about your experiences last year when yall were bombarded with all the hurricanes. :o If you feel that is too personal to share I understand.

(AP) The flooded areas of New Orleans continued shrinking over the weekend, but crews still searched by boat for the dead. The state Department of Health and Hospitals said the hurricane death toll in Louisiana had risen to 646. The toll across the Gulf Coast was 883.

Mayor Nagin was standing up inviting people to come back INTO the city of New Orleans
Meanwhile Nagin has bought a house in Dallas and moved his family there.

BillyGoatGruff said:
Nagin needs to have his mouth stapled shut and be locked in a closet for the rest of his term. He's more hindrance than help in this situation.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't think that Mayor Nagin will be finishing out his term in office.

The Invisible Body Battalion​
A private firm's undertaker unit is witnessing the human cost of Katrina. But they're not talking.

WEB EXCLUSIVE
By Dirk Johnson
Newsweek
Updated: 11:12 a.m. ET Sept. 19, 2005
Sept. 19, 2005 - Meet the body handlers. That’s impossible in the field—the private unit deployed to find, package, and transport the dead in the Mississippi Delta shuns the press. Complete privacy is part of a battle plan aimed at treating each corpse with dignity. Or, at least, so says the company, leaving aside the issue of how the reality might affect public opinion. Their mantra—this was somebody's mother or father, sister or brother, or even a child. Therefore the workers even must be sworn to secrecy about what they’re finding.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9399130/site/newsweek/

What do you think about the secrecy? I understand about not wanting to upset the family members, but I also wonder about damage control.

Dark Knight said:
Is now at 656, according to CNN, for both LA and MS.

While I'm very sad, I must admit that after seeing the horrific pictures of those suffering that we all viewed I really thought the death toll would be much higher. Not to take away from those who lost their lives...so sad :(

concernedperson said:
Now Nagin says don't come back. Afraid of Rita.
A friend of mine who lives in Algiers Point is back home and says damage to his place is relatively minor, although a huge oak tree landed on the shed he uses as his laundry room and now pretty much fills his back yard. I told him good luck, and not to trust the mayor.

Sassygerl said:
While I'm very sad, I must admit that after seeing the horrific pictures of those suffering that we all viewed I really thought the death toll would be much higher. Not to take away from those who lost their lives...so sad :(
It ain't over yet.

According to a caption on tonight's Scarborough Country the death toll from Hurricane Katrina stands at a total of 973 today.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Looneybinmadness
Back